criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

HvV Etiquette

I may be being naive here but what is the etiquette for playing HvV?
My heroes are rubbish as I have concentrated on getting all of my classes up and some of the achievements that go with them. I wasn't any good with heroes in the first BF and I just are rubbish in this one, mainly down to the fact that I'm not very good in general (I've replied to a previous post 'why are there some many bad players' explaining this) as a result I barely get to be a hero in GA and usually not that fussed about them.
But lately constantly being mowed down time and time again by a hero in GA is getting a little irritating and when I do get to be a hero I'm pretty much killed within 1-2 minutes so I thought I would start leveling up my heroes in HvV.
I've played a couple of rounds and it always seems to be that the opposition hunt in packs and the team I play in play as individuals. I've had to chase after my own team only to find one of them nowhere near the action or loitering behind something waiting for the opposition's health to be depleted I assume then pop out and finish off the opposition. when I attack I'm on my own all of a sudden but when I'm attacked it's always 2-3 enemies and no teammates anywhere.
Is HvV meant to be a team game or is it an individual game?

Replies

• TheBigPineappL
    147 posts Member
    edited December 6
    I've almost level 40'd all Heros and Villains and I wish I knew the answer. I have to play with my friends if I ever want any hope to move as a coordinated group. You have the right idea. if someone like you, who claims they are actually bad, still has the common sense to know that moving together is better than going alone, I have NO IDEA what all these other players are thinking. It's frustrating. The times I've had to ask myself "why is my team such trash" are far too many.

Half the time I can't even get halfway to our target after spawning because the target on our team is God-knows-where trying to take on the entire team. Dead within seconds of me spawning in.
    Then I become the target and do everything I can to stay alive but the team can't get a single kill. No one is there too help, not even to act as a meat shield. No one has the common sense to group up together. When you're the only competent player, it's hard. Your team can't stay alive long enough for you to do anything when you're not the target. When you're the target, you're team can't even pick off enemies one by one while you defend yourself for your life. OR you get a team the goes into battle with you but they attack anyone EXCEPT the target >_<
    Should you get a competent team, then that's when all the runners and exploiters come out of the woodwork....

This is what HvV is, 85% of the time...but man, that 15%, sadly, is what keeps you coming back.

It's easier to deal with as the Dark Side...but even then, a crappy team can still ruin matches.
    -sigh-
    Sorry for the bad luck. Hopefully you get some decent matches. Don't give up.
    I once had a Luke stick by me the entire time I was a target. I almost cried it was so beautiful.
    Sadly, it was Kashyyk and Kylo was being a brat perched up on a hut. Funny enough it wasn't his pull that ended up getting us. It was Maul, Grievous and Palp coming out of nowhere and just wailing on us. Had my Obi's push not failed on me, we probably would have got Kylo. Who knows where our other two teammates were.....

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • HvV is just like that though. It's not just you. I almost don't even go into that if I don't have my squad with me already. It's difficult when it seems your team is comprised of 8 year olds experiencing the game for the first time ever, and the other team seems made from members of the U. S. National Battlefront 2 team.

But, as BP said above, sometimes you get that great match where everyone plays well and it's glorious.
  • johnny_mercury
    3939 posts Member
    edited December 3
    I play HvV all the time, with randoms and in 2-4 player parties. Best advice, find at least 1 player you can partner up with (preferably better than you) consistently so you can learn from them, and to guarantee half of your team is sticking together. When randoms see 2 players flocking together, at least one will tag along and makes you have a stronger team.
  • I will say the fact I still even play the mode is a testament to how fun it is when it works. As others have countlessly said, 85% it’s just a horrible experience. One match ur paired up with players who have never played the game before, the next you’re playing against a squad that plays the game for a living(while ur still playing with ppl who are picking up a controller for the first time), the next match and ur put against a group that doesn’t know that there’s an attack button, but are very aware that they can run away the whole time, then add on to that some of the atrocious balancing between certain characters and u have a miserable experience most of the time.

The mode 100% needs an overhaul. The target system just doesn’t work with a player base that’s so wildly mixed between good and absolutely terrible. It also rewards cowardly play which isn’t fun for anyone...well maybe the coward.
  • OcDoc
    470 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    It is a team game. The team that stays together will win every time.

I pretty much agree.

The thing that makes it appear as though it isn’t a team game is the spawn mechanics. If you die, you rarely spawn anywhere near the action. If your team takes a few hits it can really split you up in a hurry.

• bfloo
    12492 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

I pretty much agree.

The thing that makes it appear as though it isn’t a team game is the spawn mechanics. If you die, you rarely spawn anywhere near the action. If your team takes a few hits it can really split you up in a hurry.

The spawns are awful.

I end up 1v4 a lot just trying to get back to my team getting caught in the middle
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• It's not just you. HvV can be a crapshoot.
    Some groups realize you have to stay together and attack the target 'MMO-style' (as I call it) with us focusing the firepower on the target. The team's target should be a runner and either hang back or just dash across the map to avoid being taken down.

When everyone on your team plays it solo, like a free for all deathmatch, you're bound to lose.

Learn the maps and understand what villains/heroes work better. For instance my rule of thumb is that for wider open maps, use gunslingers but for tighter, more confined maps, use saber-wielders. But it's not a hard and fast rule. I've seen players do great with Boba Fett on Endor whichis fairly wide open (and be almost impossible to catch!). And i've seen lightsaber wielders do great on tighter maps too.
  • jonci
    578 posts Member
    Either stick together or die, only issue with this method that throws a spanner in the works is if the enemy target camps, and the rest pile in and grind you down despite their losses, rinse repeat till your all on your rear end.
    i
    Rebellions are built on hope.
  • i have a theory that if the lightside is split up for the majority of the match it doesn't matter what the darkside is doing they will win but if the lightside sticks together it doesn't matter if the dark side does the same the light side will win
  • bfloo wrote: »

the trick is once you start losing you respawn far away from other team members, and in the meantime the ones remaining are at a disadvantage and likely to die, so that's how runs happen...
  • I have experienced the same. Exactly.

All advice above is good. For me, I can only stomach 3-5 rounds if the situation remains as you’ve described. Also, I tend to quit if there’s a purpled Kylo or Grievous on the team (mine or opponents) as they:

1) will snaffle most of the kills and there are times I’ve been slaying a hero to have kylo or grievous come and take the final killshot. It doesn’t seem to happen with other characters.
    2) will make it impossible - or nigh on - to get out of locks and staggers etc and the matches become a tedious drag in dying, respawning miles away and running back in to your team mates.

But I don't really blame the players. The mode is a mess with many bugs. If you’re no good at heroes or ground troops, it’s so demoralising and a real effort to not quit.

Thing is I’m a SFA SFHVV main so if I get frustrated I go play a few rounds of them (I’m very good) and it makes me feel like a contender again. :smiley:

One piece of advice to NOT take on board is the get good peanut gallery. If any elitist <beeps> try to make you feel like you’re not good enough to play, mute them.

Like all things, practice really helps. Good luck

pH
  • This thread is so validating 😊
  • **Update...kind of**
    A similar thing has always been in GA, I've been killed may times and as i lie dead on the floor thinking what could have been, I see a team mate pop out from somewhere and gun down in swift retribution my attacker almost as if he/she was using me as bait/cannon fodder/distraction so they could get an easy kill.

But last night whilst playing GA on Hoth I ran to an ION Launcher, picked it up aimed and started the firing process. A few seconds later a snow trooper appeared and started shooting me, BOOOOOOOOOOOO to you, you face of Galactic evil. But wait Luke Skywalker appeared (dressed in black not the best camouflage in the snow) YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I'm saved, I can now carry on and launch ION fist into the face of the AT-AT whoops and hollers, Ewokes dancing on Endor and in a few years time George Lucas will come back and add some new scenes. But no, Luke just stood there waited for me to be killed then ran the short distance to my attacker and scythed him down and ran off.

You suck Luke, you suck
  • GarbarBarto
    6 posts Member
    edited December 5
    Don't give up! You're not alone!

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned above.

HvV matches can be glorious, or utterly demoralising - I've leveled up most of my characters now to strong levels but STILL get melted in the odd match here and there.

If one team is hunting as a pack and they get a foothold, then the other team is constantly at a disadvantage as everyone seems to spawn back in at seemingly the furthest point from the battle, and can get sucked into running straight back into the fight - hence you can just get individuals running back towards the meat grinder of the other team and you soon lose.

Like someone said above, at the very least I try to find one other player and stick with them and then hopefully the others get the message and try to regroup before taking on the other team.

Oh, and if you really want to level up your characters big time, rinse the Double XP weekends! I leveled up a LOT of mine massively over last weekend by solely focusing on HvV.
  • Voter_Colonel
    520 posts Member
    edited December 6
    G_Funk24 wrote: »
    I may be being naive here but what is the etiquette for playing HvV?
    My heroes are rubbish as I have concentrated on getting all of my classes up and some of the achievements that go with them. I wasn't any good with heroes in the first BF and I just are rubbish in this one, mainly down to the fact that I'm not very good in general (I've replied to a previous post 'why are there some many bad players' explaining this) as a result I barely get to be a hero in GA and usually not that fussed about them.
    But lately constantly being mowed down time and time again by a hero in GA is getting a little irritating and when I do get to be a hero I'm pretty much killed within 1-2 minutes so I thought I would start leveling up my heroes in HvV.
    I've played a couple of rounds and it always seems to be that the opposition hunt in packs and the team I play in play as individuals. I've had to chase after my own team only to find one of them nowhere near the action or loitering behind something waiting for the opposition's health to be depleted I assume then pop out and finish off the opposition. when I attack I'm on my own all of a sudden but when I'm attacked it's always 2-3 enemies and no teammates anywhere.
    Is HvV meant to be a team game or is it an individual game?

These are the golden rules of HvV:

1. The enemy team will always be a well coordinated team who work together to bring down the target whilst simultaneously defending their own. Your team will always be players who run off on their own in different directions (especially the target) and given a choice of two enemies to attack, will go for the one who isn't the target rather than the one who is.
    2. Someone will already have grabbed Obi Wan Kenobi before you get a chance to select him. How to be the person who does the grabbing is a mystery.
    3. Ditto General Grievous.
    4. You will begin to wonder if your teammates are still in the game because you will go for 10 minutes without seeing any of them.

As to whether it's a team or individual game - it depends how you play it. In terms of etiquette, playing as a team should be default. Beware of any player whose name contains "gamer" or "gaming" because they are always entirely selfish, so any chance of teamwork goes out of the window.

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Basically if you want to play with a good team play with friends.
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Zinjo
    164 posts Member
    edited December 8
    My advice, don't take on a hero alone if you can avoid it. Take them on in a fire team, find some team mates and spam him with fire. Some of you may go down, but eventually so will that hero.
    If a hero is low on health, they will run away. That is your team's cue to hunt him down and finish the job. Don't leave him alone long enough to regenerate his health. Palpy is the toughest one to take out because of his chain lightning, so don't get too close if you can avoid it.
    That works every time. I've seen so many overconfident hero players get wiped out by a fire team of troopers because they attacked alone or were not able to get away to regenerate their health.
    If you are the hero, don't go in alone. Lead or follow a fire team and stay close to them to survive. They'll cover you by doing their job of taking out the enemy.
    Someone Didn't like my signature asking for Inferno squad skins....
  • I play without friends in HvV heres how.

1 Join a match and check what your teammates have selected. If someone does not pick a hero by the downcount of 15 leave the match. Do not let afk farmers play.

2: If your team has more than 1 blaster user picked be ready to lose, Chewie and Iden are the only blaster users who dont die fast.

3: When the game starts check to see which of your teammates is the target. If you have a force user targeted you can go attack because your teammate should be able to escape harm. If your team has a blaster user targeted you need to defend your teammate because he will get killed by a enemy force user.

4: If YOU are the target stay a little back from your team (who hopefully stay together) but slowly advance to the other teams target, that way the enemy team has to go through yours.

5: If you are not confidant use Luke, Maul, or Yoda and purchase the 3rd rush skill. That will give you the option to run if your health is low or do chip damage to the other target.

6: When you die, look for the nearest saber hero and run to team up again, never rush the target solo, never do anything solo. (unless you are fighting a 1 vs 1 duel)

7:If your team ends up 6-9 or 6-10 they are probably fighting solo and not worth your time. Leave and find another match.

8: If two non-targets with same health are fighting wait your turn, have some manners

9: If you win a one on one fight you have earned the right to taunt. If you taunt after killing someone 3 vs 1 you are a ****
  • Novafire wrote: »
    I play without friends in HvV heres how.
    1 Join a match and check what your teammates have selected. If someone does not pick a hero by the downcount of 15 leave the match. Do not let afk farmers play.
    2: If your team has more than 1 blaster user picked be ready to lose, Chewie and Iden are the only blaster users who dont die fast.
    3: When the game starts check to see which of your teammates is the target. If you have a force user targeted you can go attack because your teammate should be able to escape harm. If your team has a blaster user targeted you need to defend your teammate because he will get killed by a enemy force user.
    4: If YOU are the target stay a little back from your team (who hopefully stay together) but slowly advance to the other teams target, that way the enemy team has to go through yours.
    5: If you are not confidant use Luke, Maul, or Yoda and purchase the 3rd rush skill. That will give you the option to run if your health is low or do chip damage to the other target.
    6: When you die, look for the nearest saber hero and run to team up again, never rush the target solo, never do anything solo. (unless you are fighting a 1 vs 1 duel)
    7:If your team ends up 6-9 or 6-10 they are probably fighting solo and not worth your time. Leave and find another match.
    8: If two non-targets with same health are fighting wait your turn, have some manners
    9: If you win a one on one fight you have earned the right to taunt. If you taunt after killing someone 3 vs 1 you are a ****

@G_Funk24 My comments on the above advice, before offering some of my own.

1 - I would disagree with this; I've rarely encountered AFK farmers and sometimes I've been lumped on random hero due to indecision.
    2 - I've been able to top the scoreboard (and seen other people do it also) as Han, Lando, and Boba; especially with Boba's barrage of ultradeath.
    3+4 - Very good advice! So many times I've seen players just abandon the target to go rushing off on some darn fool idealistic crusade.
    5 - I generally hold runners in contempt due to how cheap it is; I've spent a good few minutes chasing a non-stop-running Luke and Maul, giving the other team a good opportunity to tackle the non-running, fair-fight target on my side.
    6 - Very good advice! If you're skilled with a hero, you CAN take multiple people at once, but only from a distance and with a good risk of being horribly murdered.
    7 - Definitely disregard this. I have made it to even 3-10 before and had the entire match turn around to win. 6-9 and 6-10 are matches that can still easily be turned around and it is VERY unsporting to just ragequit because your team isn't doing well (and concluding that they suck and shouldn't matter).
    8 - I would generally disagree with this, due to the 'eight people trying to kill each other' nature of the fight.
    9 - Definitely agree. Spamming emotes full-stop AVENGE OUR EMPEROR is a good way to be annoying to your friends, but I would also only really use an emote if I killed someone who was using cheesy tactics (bunny-hopping, non-stop-running-as-the-target, non-stop roll/dodge spamming to avoid THREE up-close lightsabers, etc.).

My own two credits:
    A - Try following a team-mate at the start of a HvV match and always trying to join up with at least one other hero; it gives you a much better chance of survival, especially if an enemy team comes across you, and helps alleviate at least part of the problem of 'run and scatter' team mates.
    B - Custom Arcade (especially on Onslaught) is invaluable for helping you get a really good hang of how heroes play; try it with fast ability recharge, double health, and weak opponents on a fast spawn setting, then steadily begin to reduce to normal ability recharge, health, and enemy health.
    C - I've only got one level 40 hero so far, but minus Obi-Wan, all of mine are above level 25 with epic star cards. I usually end up scoring highly and on good days, often top the scoreboards point-wise. The chances of me STILL get mercilessly and brutally destroyed as a hero in GA are ridiculously high, while the times I've played a hero in GA and managed to survive to the end of the match are really limited. Try seeing them as fancy Enforcers and expect them to be killed quickly as it lessens the sting, because EVERYONE will try to kill the nearest hero they see. I have no idea how some people manage to be heroes for ages in GA, but don't let it get you down.
    D - Adapt your playstyle to the other heroes, but I advise to generally play conservatively. Han and Lando are really useful at distances, but up-close they can get destroyed instantly by Sith.
    E - If Boba is being a problem and everyone on your team are jedi, then swap to Han, Lando, or Chewie; Han's blaster has a lot of damage and his explosive is good at knocking Boba out of the air, Lando has his long-range snapshot ability (which I THINK can possibly knock him out) and a fast fire-rate blaster, and Chewie can knock him clean out of the sky on some shots.
    F - I have a sneaky feeling that even if you die a lot or are really unsuccessful in a HvV match, you still get experience (both literal and XP), so even if you're getting brutally murdered, it's more useful NOT to quit (unless you're having a really down day or the enemy are using really cheap tactics, in which case, feel free to quit away).
    G - Some matches I'll have great team mates, most I'll have ones who at least try to do their jobs, and sometimes you end up with effectively useless players who just try to solo everything. Combine this with the same chance of the enemy team being great, good, or terrible, and it is really down chance as to if you're going to have an enjoyable match (most of the time for me, even including losing matches) or an unenjoyable experience (perhaps 10% of the time)
    H - Try not to give into the dark side and adopt cheesy tactics, like non-stop-running as the target, using exploits (such as The Wall on Yavin IV), sitting atop tall pillars as Boba in Yavin IV, non-stop dodge-rolling when being attacked by a Force user, bunny-hopping, non-stop dodging and floating as Palpatine (making him a hard target to hit), etc.

Hang in there!
  • Don't give up! You're not alone!

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned above.

HvV matches can be glorious, or utterly demoralising - I've leveled up most of my characters now to strong levels but STILL get melted in the odd match here and there.

If one team is hunting as a pack and they get a foothold, then the other team is constantly at a disadvantage as everyone seems to spawn back in at seemingly the furthest point from the battle, and can get sucked into running straight back into the fight - hence you can just get individuals running back towards the meat grinder of the other team and you soon lose.

Like someone said above, at the very least I try to find one other player and stick with them and then hopefully the others get the message and try to regroup before taking on the other team.

Oh, and if you really want to level up your characters big time, rinse the Double XP weekends! I leveled up a LOT of mine massively over last weekend by solely focusing on HvV.

Great post!

The whole 'spawn from afar, run back into the fray' thing can get tedious but here's a thought - don't run right back into the ruckus. Find at least 1 teammate and then run back together. Or if they're the Target, hang back with them and let others find you.

The total lack of communication doesn't help things either but that's why we have mic's and Friends on our List ;)
  • I think the most valuable point in all this is to make sure you find a teammmate first after you die and respawn.

Any kind of learning you’re going to be able to do will fail if you’re by yourself. If I’m on a team of soloists, I quit aftet the second or third team death. There’s no point in staying around to be farmed by a coherent team when your team are running to the target willy nilly. You’re just going to end up dying and running back in.

With a few teammates you have better chance at staying alive and getting better at your hero abilites/ styles.

pH
  • Zinjo
    164 posts Member
    edited December 13
    Mostly good stuff here.

Don't be a baby and ragequit. Even a losing match can teach you something.
    The very basic advice for this mode? Teamwork always wins - period!
    Team vs Team? Luck will decide ;)
  • Zinjo wrote: »
    Mostly good stuff here.

Don't be a baby and rage quit. Even a losing match can teach you something.
    The very basic advice for this mode? Teamwork always wins - period!
    Team vs Team? Luck will decide ;)

Totally agree, well said, rage quitting isn't an option it spoils it for all of the others not just your team mates. Amazing the amount of people who rage quit, to me it speaks volumes they spend time in game insulting their team yet do not contribute to the match themselves, either too busy typing or quit.
    If you think you are better or have some suggestion type that in chat to your team, or if you see some one alone you tag in with them its called team work and as Zinjo said Teamwork always wins.
    Speaks volumes of a persons moral fibre and character to stick at it.
    Rebellions are built on hope.
  • Phyrebrat
    445 posts Member
    edited December 17
    I agree rage quitting is is bad form but two things:

1) you can never be sure someone’s rage quit. Don’t make assumptions or take it personally. For me, my lag, esp in HSF on D’Qar and Endor is so bad it’s unplayable. There are instances in HvV where it’s been the same - much more so over the last month or so and I have no time for that.

2) I’m not sticking in a match where there is an egregious team balance problem. Whether that is going against a team of 4 purpled lvl 40s or that there are less people on my team (and so I’m constantly the target). You may find this disheartening to play when people like me quit, but it’s probably less disheartening that just running in from spawn all game trying to find my team mates who’ve been similarly killed.

I don’t rage quit, I common-sense-quit :smile:

And unless you’re a HSF mainer, then you haven’t a clue at how frustrating it is trying to even finish a match when someone quits ;)

pH
  • Zinjo
    164 posts Member
    edited 2:00AM
    So what did you learn when you quit? Nothing.
    You also gave up any credits or points toward your ranking as well.
    Yes it is incredibly frustrating to play with newbs who think that a hero is invincible or are just holding back and trying to jump in for a kill on an injured opponent, which NEVER works against a team. Ironically I play like I usually do and end up being the only member of my side who gets on the podium at the end. Those times I've taught some newbs how to get into the top five, just by playing the game properly...
    If the lag is disabling your game play, then walk away from the game and let the other side kill you in absentia. The match will end quicker that way and you gain a little XP points, maybe a credit or two and you can bail in between maps. OR, you can muscle through it the best you can and be a small benefit to your team, then bail the laggy server between maps.
  • I play it to have fun, not to slavishly chase XP.