criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

It took Dice 2 years to create bf2 yet 1 year for all this?

Prev1
Are they understaffed or abandoned this game? Something is going on. 2 years to create multiplayer and a campaign yet 1 year to get only 1 map? Does it really take so long to create a map?

Replies

• bf2pro wrote: »
    d0kRX wrote: »
    bf2pro wrote: »
    Well, they lost their revenue source and are now making new content for little or no money. Free DLC = bad DLC. You get what you pay for in other words.

Which is why people shoulda just sucked it up and let pay to win stay.

Yes and no. It's really EA's fault for thinking it would stick with the players. Now their hands are tied since they promised free DLC... I would much rather pay for DLC if it meant actually getting DLC at a healthy rate.

They should've stuck to it, regardless of the reception. It was hardly pay2win anyways.

The players complaining halted the games success.
  • ross42899 wrote: »
    Jimmy89 wrote: »
    Are they understaffed or abandoned this game? Something is going on. 2 years to create multiplayer and a campaign yet 1 year to get only 1 map? Does it really take so long to create a map?

1) Pre-launch Motive & Criterion helped working on the campaign & starfighter content. BF2 was not done by DICE alone
    2) They had to rework the progression system and remove lootboxes. this took 3 months and delayed new content
    3) several Devs were working on BFV temporary, so the BF2 team was lacking resources for sometime

With the progression system update out of the way and devs returning from BFV back to BF2, we will hopefully see an increase of new content in 2019.

Ah the days of “The flood gates are opening!” when the progression system finished being updated were good times.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • bf2pro wrote: »
    d0kRX wrote: »
    Well, they lost their revenue source and are now making new content for little or no money. Free DLC = bad DLC. You get what you pay for in other words.

Yes and no. It's really EA's fault for thinking it would stick with the players. Now their hands are tied since they promised free DLC... I would much rather pay for DLC if it meant actually getting DLC at a healthy rate.

They should've stuck to it, regardless of the reception. It was hardly pay2win anyways.

Agreed. A little wonky upgrading stuff you weren’t actually playing but that also had its benefits.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Pay to win was better than what we have now, cheat to win.

Thats a bug

Thats a bug

Regardless, people can get lvl 40 heroes in under 10 minutes and presumably won't be stopped until the 12th.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....

Thats a bug

Regardless, people can get lvl 40 heroes in under 10 minutes and presumably won't be stopped until the 12th.

Yeah I know, it's only 6 more days not too bad.
  • BucksawBoushh
    2182 posts Member
    edited December 6
    I don’t really understand how they can make all of those launch maps and all of those launch heroes (16) in 10ish months and yet we get 2 new maps and 2 new heroes in the timespan of over a year?

People will say “well those heroes were basically ported from BF15”, but when they’re asked for other hero ports (Dengar, Greedo and Nien) the response is “it’s not that easy to just port them over”. People use either or whenever it suits their argument to defend the lack of content. It’s not NEW but it’s enough to tide us over in between the main content drops.

So many wasted assets just sitting over in those BF15 files. Maps, heroes, blasters and skins :(
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • Try to see thru the mist..
  • Alex64
    5065 posts Member
    Is going to take a full year to complete this fiasco of season.
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!
  • Alex64 wrote: »

Thank god its not Resistance related or else we'd be really starving for meaningful content.

First of all, not a season so sayeth Ben, second, the first content dropped at the end of August at the last part is in February which is 7 months. A long time, yes, but not a year.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

Thank god its not Resistance related or else we'd be really starving for meaningful content.

giphy.gif
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • Alex64
    5065 posts Member
    Alex64 wrote: »

First of all, not a season so sayeth Ben, second, the first content dropped at the end of August at the last part is in February which is 7 months. A long time, yes, but not a year.

They decide to call this "Roadmap" cause the time this thing is taking to be delivered, but it was planned at first as season, besides no one is 100% this "Roadmap" could be delayed, those 7months you say could be more, anyway it's a fiasco.
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!
  • Alex64
    5065 posts Member

Same with rebels, just imagine a guy using a slingshot, it's so childish.
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!
  • Mooncircle wrote: »
    They already said that 2019 they gonna add more content, but we will see.

Funny because they said new content every month as well.
  • d0kRX wrote: »

That's exactly what they want you to think. No, no and hell no to micro transactions and pay to win mechanics, it was awful and should never be considered acceptable practice.

EA make more than enough money from game sales alone for the base game plus a year of quality free DLC. They are just extremely greedy and want ridiculous profit margins.

Pride and accomplishment in making games at EA, has been overtaken by pride and accomplishment in making excessive profit. Don't get me wrong I still love the game because I love Star Wars and that's exactly what EA were banking on but we fought back. Then they left us with little DLC perhaps as a punishment for us not falling for their scam.

It's a shame for the the developers who are passionate game makers and who are hamstrung by greedy executives. God bless those developers who worked extremely hard to bring us Geonosis, they must be as annoyed as we are that they couldn't have done even more and what was actually promised at launch.
  • Neither of those timeframes are correct.
    For starters, they didn't have "2 years" to make BFII, they had 10 months at best. Why? Because in 2016 they were developing the DLC for BF2015 so their full dev team would not have been working on BFII during this time, if it was even being developed at all during this time. The final DLC released in December 2016 and then the Christmas break followed meaning they wouldn't have been working on BFII fully until January 2017, 10 months prior to it's release.
    They also haven't spent "1 year" on this DLC. Following the lootbox backlash, they had to spend a considerable amount of time creating a whole new progression system which pushed everything else back. Once they had done that they had to get to work on their Disney-mandated Solo movie tie-in season which involved the development of a new map, new mode, and new skins. Then once that was that was done their dev team was gutted by EA as many of them were reassigned to BFV which left a skeleton crew working on the new map, skins, heroes, and vehicles thus the slowdown in content releases and the slow trickle of content we'd known about since January this year (clone skins). So, in reality, this DLC hasn't had a year but more like a few months with full dev team support.

Pal, I couldn't agree more. I think EA are constantly under fire for this but you're right so many things made the game and they could've got this right with the progression and things but they had to work on other projects

They decide to call this "Roadmap" cause the time this thing is taking to be delivered, but it was planned at first as season, besides no one is 100% this "Roadmap" could be delayed, those 7months you say could be more, anyway it's a fiasco.

Nope. We're getting Anakin and the new large mode in February then that's it. There won't be any more delays.

Clearly never got passed episode 1.
    mwdo871aglrt.jpeg
    My Concepts
  • Jimmy89 wrote: »
    Mooncircle wrote: »
    They already said that 2019 they gonna add more content, but we will see.

safftrvtsgnn.gif
  • Alex64
    5065 posts Member

Nope. We're getting Anakin and the new large mode in February then that's it. There won't be any more delays.

mwdo871aglrt.jpeg

"There won't be any more delays"
    source.gif

It's a kids show just like Resistance.
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!

mwdo871aglrt.jpeg

source.gif

Didn't you start a whole thread about why we should have Resistance content in this game?
    My Concepts
  • Alex64
    5065 posts Member

mwdo871aglrt.jpeg

source.gif

Didn't you start a whole thread about why we should have Resistance content in this game?

Yes and you also say that i was for kids so rebels too, anyway this is about how long devs take to deliver content with no delays so i just found funny that you affirm there won't be delays, please.
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!

mwdo871aglrt.jpeg

source.gif

Yes and you also say that i was for kids so rebels too, anyway this is about how long devs take to deliver content with no delays so i just found funny that you affirm there won't be delays, please.

But if you don't want Rebels content because you say that series was for kids, why do you want Resistance content when you say that series is for kids? Seems awfully hypocritical to me.
    My Concepts

mwdo871aglrt.jpeg

source.gif

But if you don't want Rebels content because you say that series was for kids, why do you want Resistance content when you say that series is for kids? Seems awfully hypocritical to me.

Rebels Content?

9zyeox5yo5tb.gif

• I only got into Battlefront 2015 two years after release. Was there an issue with gamers about DLC? Why didn't DICE use the same method for Battlefront 2? I bought all the DLC's for the first game, they were awesome. I would have happily handed over my money if they had done the same as the first game.
  • Xerogon
    232 posts Member
    edited December 6
    MillSmit wrote: »
    I only got into Battlefront 2015 two years after release. Was there an issue with gamers about DLC? Why didn't DICE use the same method for Battlefront 2? I bought all the DLC's for the first game, they were awesome. I would have happily handed over my money if they had done the same as the first game.

Because everyone complained about having to pay for the DLC (which most major triple-A games have btw) which led to the Crate system and you see how that worked out and now here we are. Should’ve just stayed with the same method IMO bc they would’ve at least have had a way of revenue to pay for more devs or content, but instead they abolish their only way of revenue (crate system) and that’s why content is taking so long
  • MillSmit wrote: »
    I only got into Battlefront 2015 two years after release. Was there an issue with gamers about DLC? Why didn't DICE use the same method for Battlefront 2? I bought all the DLC's for the first game, they were awesome. I would have happily handed over my money if they had done the same as the first game.

The problem was two-fold. On the one hand, there was a Season Pass that cost pretty much the same as the game, and on the other, there was the fact that each DLC had it's own separate lobbies which split the player base in 5 different ways. With people playing in the vanilla maps, and the Outer Rim maps, and the Bespin maps, and the Death Star maps, and the Scarif maps, all at the same time, it left some lobbies emptier than others.
    The benefit of the Season Pass was that DLC was guaranteed and was released more frequently, but the split player base was the main problem. DICE proably could've had a Season Pass for this game that didn't split the player base by having maps be free for everyone, but they chose not to have one because they likely expected more backlash at the mere mention of it. However, this "game-as-service" approach hasn't worked particularly well either.
    My Concepts
  • Xerogon wrote: »

Because everyone complained about having to pay for the DLC (which most major triple-A games have btw) which led to the Crate system and you see how that worked out and now here we are. Should’ve just stayed with the same method IMO bc they would’ve at least have had a way of revenue to pay for more devs or content, but instead they abolish their only way of revenue (crate system) and that’s why content is taking so long

Price was an issue, yes, but mainly it was the separate lobbies and that all the new content (maps, game modes, heroes, weapons, and star cards) were locked behind a paywall.
    My Concepts
  • Xerogon
    232 posts Member
    edited December 6
    Xerogon wrote: »

Price was an issue, yes, but mainly it was the separate lobbies and that all the new content (maps, game modes, heroes, weapons, and star cards) were locked behind a paywall.

Most all Big Triple A games have a pricey DLC. So would you rather have less content that’s free with everyone playing it bc of less content or more content and a slightly “split player base”?

Most all Big Triple A games have a pricey DLC. So would you rather have the content or “split player base”?

It doesn't have to one or the other. You can still have a Season Pass AND not split the player base. All a Season Pass needs to be is something that gives players early access to new content and some content automatically unlocked (like heroes and weapons), then after the early access all the content is available to all players with maps and game modes available for free and everything else (heroes, skins, weapons, emotes, etc) purchaseable with in-game credits or premium currency.
    My Concepts

Most all Big Triple A games have a pricey DLC. So would you rather have the content or “split player base”?

It doesn't have to one or the other. You can still have a Season Pass AND not split the player base. All a Season Pass needs to be is something that gives players early access to new content and some content automatically unlocked (like heroes and weapons), then after the early access all the content is available to all players with maps and game modes available for free and everything else (heroes, skins, weapons, emotes, etc) purchaseable with in-game credits or premium currency.

Why would someone pay that much money just to get something, that they were already gonna get anyway, a little bit early? I mean most of the time if you add DLC most likely you’re gonna “split” some of the player base bc everyone is different and enjoys different modes

Why would someone pay that much money just to get something, that they were already gonna get anyway, a little bit early? I mean most of the time if you add DLC most likely you’re gonna “split” some of the player base bc everyone is different and enjoys different modes

Why do people spend so much money on anything? Some people will want to play new content early and get certain content without having to spend their in-game credits and others won't. Plus, a Season Pass guarantees content and I'm sure there would be many people willing to pay for the privilege of early access, especially the streamers and Gamechangers.
    My Concepts

Agree. DLC was so much better than this “live service”. It was $50. If the younger players don’t have the funds then they should go mow lawns for a weekend.
  • Is there any way I can "Agree" to the OP's post more than once? They bring up a good point, 2 years to make half a game and 1 year later it still doesn't feel like a completed game.

Why do people spend so much money on anything? Some people will want to play new content early and get certain content without having to spend their in-game credits and others won't. Plus, a Season Pass guarantees content and I'm sure there would be many people willing to pay for the privilege of early access, especially the streamers and Gamechangers.

Well I think we agree there should’ve just been a season pass or early access instead of the crate system
  • Is there any way I can "Agree" to the OP's post more than once? They bring up a good point, 2 years to make half a game and 1 year later it still doesn't feel like a completed game.

Or you could maybe click "Agree" on a post that actually lays out the facts about how neither of those timeframes are correct?
    Neither of those timeframes are correct.
    For starters, they didn't have "2 years" to make BFII, they had 10 months at best. Why? Because in 2016 they were developing the DLC for BF2015 so their full dev team would not have been working on BFII during this time, if it was even being developed at all during this time. The final DLC released in December 2016 and then the Christmas break followed meaning they wouldn't have been working on BFII fully until January 2017, 10 months prior to it's release.
    They also haven't spent "1 year" on this DLC. Following the lootbox backlash, they had to spend a considerable amount of time creating a whole new progression system which pushed everything else back. Once they had done that they had to get to work on their Disney-mandated Solo movie tie-in season which involved the development of a new map, new mode, and new skins. Then once that was that was done their dev team was gutted by EA as many of them were reassigned to BFV which left a skeleton crew working on the new map, skins, heroes, and vehicles thus the slowdown in content releases and the slow trickle of content we'd known about since January this year (clone skins). So, in reality, this DLC hasn't had a year but more like a few months with full dev team support.
    My Concepts

Well I think we agree there should’ve just been a season pass or early access instead of the crate system

Yes, something that not only guarantees content but also guarantees additional revenue for the game.
    My Concepts

Agree. DLC was so much better than this “live service”. It was $50. If the younger players don’t have the funds then they should go mow lawns for a weekend.

Not if if they're locking half the game behind a paywall. You dont make a game based solely around the Original Trilogy and lock some of it's most iconic locations behind a paywall. That's just lame and nonsensical.
    Sullust wasnt featured before; that in itself is DLC worthy. Not the Death Star, featured in 3 separate movies.

EA has proven to be incapable of handling actual DLC as a season pass and live service.

Not if if they're locking half the game behind a paywall. You dont make a game based solely around the Original Trilogy and lock some of it's most iconic locations behind a paywall. That's just lame and nonsensical.
    Sullust wasnt featured before; that in itself is DLC worthy. Not the Death Star, featured in 3 separate movies.

EA has proven to be incapable of handling actual DLC as a season pass and live service.

DLC maps should have been playable for everybody. I've always been behind that.
  • Icedragon7897
    1009 posts Member
    edited December 7
    The crate system is straight up gambling, they spend less making the game add in the gambling and there we go, now we all know that should be no where near a game but that's real reason we have had so little, they couldn't pull a ultimate team on us

That system worked really well in For Honor, we bough the season pass to get the content a week early, putting us ahead of the ball on what guns we wanted, and we didn't have to spend the time to get the heroes or weapons. It would work here honestly.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png