criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Thoughts on Yoda's and Finn's over heal ability

In the game's current state, nothing shapes the outcome of a match of Galatic Assault more than a Yoda or Finn on the lightside. Although the rather linear maps like Theed and Kamino don't help, I believe that the major issue as to why it is difficult to win as the darkside on these maps is due to the advantage of over heal.

1. Troopers with 350+hp, Wookies with 700+hp and heroes getting close too 900+hp make it nearly impossible for the darkside without a significantly skilled Villain to get past certain phases like phase 2 Theed, Khashyyyk phase 2 and especially phase 3 Kamino. Your regular Battlefront 2 player will on average not be able to outgun a trooper with 200hp more than them, let alone a Wookie. This the leads to the corridor and door to door fighting which is prevalent during these matches 99% of the time. Why is? This is because when a player sees that giant yellow health bar above the enemy they know they won't be able to go toe to toe, leading to grenade spam and sqauds refusing to push. Heroes are even worse for this in which they also refuse to push because of the insane health increase. Why would Kylo Ren want to push on the objective when a single 400 hp heavy will take almost 4 swings to kill whilst inflicting the same or more damage back to Kylo.

2. The most important thing to solve this is to kill the hero who is buffing the team every few seconds, which is easy to do with Finn but near impossible with a semi decent Yoda. This being due to his tiny hit box, plus the meat shield of over healed troopers and Wookies make it near impossible to get close enough to him to deal any significant damage. The best way to take out a Yoda is through a Villain like Darth Vader with force choke or any other saber villain for that matter, however like I mentioned the majority of Villains refuse to push or even if they do are met by the rest of the over healed team who make quick work of said Villain.

3. How would you solve this? My personal suggestion would be to either limit the health buff to 100hp instead of 200hp, however I do feel this may be a bit extreme. My other suggestion which I feel could work is to limit the amount of people affected by the buff which at the minute is unlimited depending on range, but on maps such as Theed when every member of the team is squished into one corridor almost everyone gets the buff. Maybe a limit to 4-8 players within the range could balance this? Obviously I am not calling for anything drastic like a complete nerf which could quiet easily course constant steam rolling for the Villains, however I do believe a match of GA should not hinge upon a Yoda being on the opposing side.

I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on over heal!

Replies

• Nerfing the heal is fine but they would have to buff Yoda or Finn somewhere else proportionately to compensate for the nerf healing.
  • Completely agree, on their own they are particularly weak, Finn a standard health on kill, Yoda possibly higher regen.
  • Think its fine as is. Playing the Heroes Unleashed mode has made me realize how much stronger the dark side heroes are compared to the light side
  • Definatly stronger when 9 v 9 and the majority don't mind being eliminated because they can get another hero next life, however when it's just 2v2 the majority of the time the lightside win, but only on certain maps
  • Axone wrote: »
    Nerfing the heal is fine but they would have to buff Yoda or Finn somewhere else proportionately to compensate for the nerf healing.

Totally agree with you...
    calling for another Nerf is not going to make gameplay better for Darkside users. Most don't know that Yoda & Finn can heal - or the importance of using Heroes with good timing - or the damage combinations (heroes working together)... can make a huge difference
    *** I thought Yoda was just making 'Cool Force Noise' before I learned to correctly heal (timing) - and not that long ago. ***
    Give the Community a chance to learn and "Git Gud" with the characters - .... another Nerf
  • VaperEyes wrote: »
    Axone wrote: »
    Nerfing the heal is fine but they would have to buff Yoda or Finn somewhere else proportionately to compensate for the nerf healing.

Totally agree with you...
    calling for another Nerf is not going to make gameplay better for Darkside users. Most don't know that Yoda & Finn can heal - or the importance of using Heroes with good timing - or the damage combinations (heroes working together)... can make a huge difference
    *** I thought Yoda was just making 'Cool Force Noise' before I learned to correctly heal (timing) - and not that long ago. ***
    Give the Community a chance to learn and "Git Gud" with the characters - .... another Nerf

The only issue with Git Gud is that most of the community are casuals, a 400 hp casual vs a 200 hp casual will always lead to the over healed player wining. As I said the two heroes are fine as they are, it's the health buff to the other 18 team members which causes the skill gap.
  • There should be a flat +50 overheal cap for trooper and enforcer classes, plain and simple.