criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Do you really like Rey?

2Next

Replies

• 2000sGuy wrote: »
    I loved her in TFA, thought she was also good in TLJ, but became a Mary Sue. She went from swinging a lightsaber around like a kid to taking down Praetorian Guards.

Growing up alone in a wretched hive of scum and villainy surely has something to do with it... That is not Mary Sue-ish.

She’s a cool character.

By that logic someone who grew up in a bad neighborhood should be able to take on secret service members...

And when you really think about it its not like the people on Jakku are even dangerous or that much of a threat. That guy she stole BB8 from barely put up a fight, and those dudes sent by Unkar just grabbed her.

Have trouble seeing how years of fighting these guys equate to being able to kill the highly trained guards of the strongest being in the galaxy

No, you couldn’t say that, because that guy growing up in a bad neighbourhood doesn’t harbor raw force strength of a magnitude that even surpasses Darth Vader’s. That guy isn’t chosen by the force to rise and meet a darkness stronger than ever. She can clearly handle herself in battle. And how do you know what she fought in her days? And again, Star Wars is filled to the brim with incompetent villains.

So what is your opinion on a teen boy with some experience in agricultural flight, suddenly jumping into the cockpit of a high tech, top of the line fighter aircraft, that he has no experience of, leading a successful attack on a completely superior, well defended, highly advanced military target?

And what is your opinion on a 6 year old with some experience in go-cart racing pulling off pretty much the same stunt?

Welcome to fiction. Welcome to Star Wars.

Rey is the chosen one? Must’ve missed that. Theres too many fan theroies swirling around idk whats legit or not
    I wasnt aware of her Force strength being stronger than Vader’s either. It was said in an interview and I typically dont trust what most actors say in there as theyll just hype up their character (ie Brie Larson calling Thanos weak in hers). I guess it can be said that she has raw strength but from my understanding raw strength isnt everything. If my dad was a good boxer I may have inherited some raw strength from him, but without proper teaching and a training rocky iv montage that doesnt mean i’ll be the best of the best. Sure I dont know what she fought in her days but going based off Jakku it must not be impressive. Most of the people there seem to be drunken and disorderly. And even if there were hypothetically some dangerous gangs there, that cant compare to the elite trained praetorian guards, who are trained specifically to ward off force using attackers. Heck at least that ezra kid had to deal with Imperials in his youth

As for Luke , Luke was established to of been a pilot. He said somewhere in anh that itd be “just like flying t-16s back home” and Biggs said he was the best:

Plus with him having being strong and force due to his lineage, it can then be justified that he makes it through the Death Star’s defenses as it was the will of the force. And at the end of the day most inconsistencies in the OT can be justified through it being the first and only SW material out there, as we didnt have other lore to compare it to. We didnt need to know the complex why of things becuas the lore was new(Hence why complaining we didnt know where the emperor came from as a defenss for snoke doesnt work.)

As for Anakin (whose 9) it again was established he had pod-raced before. He spent most of the race in last place. He had R2 copiloting in the starfighter, so at least he wasnt doing everything by himself. Plus it was stated that he was the chosen one, so that could explain away the stuff he does. Nothing was left up in the air

Luke and Anakin both have only one occasion where the force is used as an excuse. The problem with Rey is that she wasnt established to have much and multiple times she does unexplainable things. Maybe some fighting skills (but fighting with a staff is different then fighting with a sword ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯ ) but because we have no explanation her power originated it still is questionable. Shes being hyped up as this unexplainable badass whose yet to be defeaten. Whats to look forward to in Ep 9- shes beaten Ren and outsmarted Luke. Her only character trait consists of “mur parents” and theres mot much to her character arc left making her a dull character

Im more interested to see what happens to Finn, Poe, heck even rose
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
    2000sGuy wrote: »
    I loved her in TFA, thought she was also good in TLJ, but became a Mary Sue. She went from swinging a lightsaber around like a kid to taking down Praetorian Guards.

Growing up alone in a wretched hive of scum and villainy surely has something to do with it... That is not Mary Sue-ish.

She’s a cool character.

By that logic someone who grew up in a bad neighborhood should be able to take on secret service members...

And when you really think about it its not like the people on Jakku are even dangerous or that much of a threat. That guy she stole BB8 from barely put up a fight, and those dudes sent by Unkar just grabbed her.

Have trouble seeing how years of fighting these guys equate to being able to kill the highly trained guards of the strongest being in the galaxy

No, you couldn’t say that, because that guy growing up in a bad neighbourhood doesn’t harbor raw force strength of a magnitude that even surpasses Darth Vader’s. That guy isn’t chosen by the force to rise and meet a darkness stronger than ever. She can clearly handle herself in battle. And how do you know what she fought in her days? And again, Star Wars is filled to the brim with incompetent villains.

So what is your opinion on a teen boy with some experience in agricultural flight, suddenly jumping into the cockpit of a high tech, top of the line fighter aircraft, that he has no experience of, leading a successful attack on a completely superior, well defended, highly advanced military target?

And what is your opinion on a 6 year old with some experience in go-cart racing pulling off pretty much the same stunt?

Welcome to fiction. Welcome to Star Wars.

Rey is the chosen one? Must’ve missed that. Theres too many fan theroies swirling around idk whats legit or not
    I wasnt aware of her Force strength being stronger than Vader’s either. It was said in an interview and I typically dont trust what most actors say in there as theyll just hype up their character (ie Brie Larson calling Thanos weak in hers). I guess it can be said that she has raw strength but from my understanding raw strength isnt everything. If my dad was a good boxer I may have inherited some raw strength from him, but without proper teaching and a training rocky iv montage that doesnt mean i’ll be the best of the best. Sure I dont know what she fought in her days but going based off Jakku it must not be impressive. Most of the people there seem to be drunken and disorderly. And even if there were hypothetically some dangerous gangs there, that cant compare to the elite trained praetorian guards, who are trained specifically to ward off force using attackers. Heck at least that ezra kid had to deal with Imperials in his youth

As for Luke , Luke was established to of been a pilot. He said somewhere in anh that itd be “just like flying t-16s back home” and Biggs said he was the best:

Plus with him having being strong and force due to his lineage, it can then be justified that he makes it through the Death Star’s defenses as it was the will of the force. And at the end of the day most inconsistencies in the OT can be justified through it being the first and only SW material out there, as we didnt have other lore to compare it to. We didnt need to know the complex why of things becuas the lore was new(Hence why complaining we didnt know where the emperor came from as a defenss for snoke doesnt work.)

As for Anakin (whose 9) it again was established he had pod-raced before. He spent most of the race in last place. He had R2 copiloting in the starfighter, so at least he wasnt doing everything by himself. Plus it was stated that he was the chosen one, so that could explain away the stuff he does. Nothing was left up in the air

Luke and Anakin both have only one occasion where the force is used as an excuse. The problem with Rey is that she wasnt established to have much and multiple times she does unexplainable things. Maybe some fighting skills (but fighting with a staff is different then fighting with a sword ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯ ) but because we have no explanation her power originated it still is questionable. Shes being hyped up as this unexplainable badass whose yet to be defeaten. Whats to look forward to in Ep 9- shes beaten Ren and outsmarted Luke. Her only character trait consists of “mur parents” and theres mot much to her character arc left making her a dull character

Im more interested to see what happens to Finn, Poe, heck even rose

The force seeks balance, as we can see and hear everywhere in the ST. In the OT and PT too for that matter. You speak of ”the chosen one” as if that is something the force itself utters, but it’s quite obvious that Rey is the one the Force has chosen to balance the growing darkness.

”Rey: The island. Life. Death and decay, that feeds new life. Warmth. Cold. Peace. Violence.
    Luke: And between it all?
    Rey: Balance and energy. A Force.
    [...]
    Luke: Balance. Powerful light, powerful darkness.”

”Snoke to Rey: Come closer, child. So much strength. Darkness rises, and light to meet it. I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise.”

And I thought you removed the force element in your little analogy there? Now you’re introducing it again? You excuse the ridiculousness of Luke and Anakin’s actions with the same defense I gave to Rey, can’t you see that? Yeah, it was established that Luke was a pilot, but it is also established that Rey is a very competent fighter! I have a friend that is a fighter pilot and I can tell you there’s a difference between flying a jet fighter and flying a Cessna, and especially in combat I imagine! Luke used to bulls-eye vermin! I mean... yeah, so? That doesn’t mean he should be able to take down a friggin’ Death Star! Why is Rey, a fringe-planet brawler, fighting and defeating a few of Snoke’s elite guards anymore outlandish than Luke, a fringe-planet farmer pilot, bringing down TIE Fighters and bulls-eyeing moon-sized battlestations? And what do you mean being strong with the force due to his linage? Luke literally says in the film that Rey and Kylo Ren both are immensely strong with the force: ”I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.” Why can’t Rey’s victory in Snoke’s throneroom too be ”the will of the force”? The lineage is not important in this case, which is something TLJ thematizes

And jeez, Anakin... Yeah, yeah he’s nine... doesn’t matter. Going with your analogy again, few nine-year-olds with just some experience in racing go-carts, can jump into a fighter jet cockpit and blow stuff up. What’s that? He’s aided by the force? Well, so is Rey! And yeah, he had artoo. Rey had Kylo Ren.

The part about the earlier movies being excused because of new lore or whatever is just silly. These are movies. It’s film making. It’s no different now than it was before. You can’t bog down the story and the plot with unnecessary fan-service features. There’s just no need to justify every little inconsistency (if you even can call it that), because doing so would likely render the film unwatchable. And I certainly don’t see why pretty ridiculous features (really), like Luke and Anakin’s godly piloting skills above, have anything to do with this.

Rey is not hyped up to be an unexplainable badass. The fight in the throneroom was carried by Kylo Ren up until the very end. And he was the one killing Snoke. If Rey was the mary-sue people are making her out to be, she would’ve been the one doing that. She even fails to turn Ben after the guards are dead. And the first time she fought Ren he had just been hit in the gut with this:

tumblr_oljomw42GI1rszoo3o3_r1_500.gif

I don’t care if you like Rey as a character or not, but atleast get some perspective.
  • I got my perspective. Ive been following the character all this time same as you. It may not align with yours but thats the beauty of TLJ. It caused there to be multiple interpretations hence the controversy amf Lucas film attempting course correction

I mean Im glad you enjoy the character more power to ya. I and many others just find her boring and an example of weak writing

We could rebuttle each other and go on and on with walls of text but TLJ arguments tend to get nowhere so i’ll just leave it at that
    aOpxef9.jpg
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
    I got my perspective. Ive been following the character all this time same as you. It may not align with yours but thats the beauty of TLJ. It caused there to be multiple interpretations hence the controversy amf Lucas film attempting course correction

I mean Im glad you enjoy the character more power to ya. I and many others just find her boring and an example of weak writing

We could rebuttle each other and go on and on with walls of text but TLJ arguments tend to get nowhere so i’ll just leave it at that
    aOpxef9.jpg

I may have worded that poorly actually. What I meant was that, atleast try to see that a lot of the critique directed at the character Rey is a bit unfair seeing that other characters have similar flaws. I definitely respect your opinion.

I’m fairly certain there won’t be any ”course correction”. We’ll see, but...

Yeah, let’s leave it. Was a good chat. Have a merry christmas!