criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

The Road Ahead, Part 10 — August/December 2020

z9m6kqdnha8t.png

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi. It will soon see the end of the Rebellion...and the content releases for Battlefront 2.

In these final five months (and hopefully longer) DICE should dive into some major fan service, and as a thank you to the playerbase for sticking around through thick and thin for three years we should see a healthy amount of remastered BF 2015 content. This content should be made available in both Multiplayer AND Arcade.

It would be easy to say remaster everything. Give us the whole game... But that's not fair to anyone. There are, however, a decent amount of maps/content that I think by this point we should and could expect. DICE has said that remastering takes time away from new maps and conent (which I understand) but at this point in the games lifecycle, we're approaching the end. So that reasoning no longer holds water.

So without further ado, here is the last in my series of Road Ahead posts. If you've liked these, thanks for sticking around, reading them, and commenting. If you've hated them, relax, it's almost over.

I thought a lot about this and decided that the best way to go about what content should return is to look at two factors: Iconography and Replayability.

The content should be iconic Star Wars that is not currently in-game AND is content that the community loved to play in BF 2015. I think you'll be pleased.... I know I would.

***disclaimer: in an earlier 'Road Ahead' post I suggested that May 2020 should be A New Hope themed and include "Jundland Wastes" and "Rebel Depot" maps due to iconography, ANH ties, and just plain fun. I won't rehash them in this list.

First up, let's take a look at the Large Scale maps that should return:

GALACTIC ASSAULT / CONQUEST

These maps were built for WALKER ASSAULT which fits in very well with the current Galactic Assault model. Since they were also used in modes like Turning Point and Supremacy, they should fit in a mode like CONQUEST (or whatever it will be called).

OUTPOST BETA
l1ryc6ap3quc.jpeg
It's the most iconic ground battle in Star Wars history, and while there already a Hoth map in BF2, this is another front that the Empire attacked the Rebels on. Both can be simultaneously raging. The Outpost Beta battle is the Empire taking out the generators, the BF2 Hoth battle is on the other side of the base where the Empire tries to cut off the rebel escape.

FOREST MOON OF ENDOR
mky8edf4qxa5.jpeg
Another before and after, yes there's another Endor map but most who've played both battlefronts love and preferthis one. Fighting in and around the bunker. Taking the walker down. It's another case of this battle has to happen and be won before the current BF2 battle can take place.

SOROSUUB CENTROPLEX
ilwnra89cm4b.jpeg
Fighting two Walkers amidst the lava flows...

GRAVEYARD OF GIANTS / BATTLE OF JAKKU
czss6wylh8vb.jpeg
This is an essential battle that need to be represented in a bigger way in Battlefront 2. This was a fan favorite map and the first official canon look at this stsr wars event. I think the skies could use an upgrade. (Making the skies above the ground battle more chaotic like during the "Battle of Jakku" in the campaign would go a long way towards accomplishing this). The ground battle shouldn't change a bit. Need it!

CLOUD CITY
bjk88np84j71.jpeg

STARFIGHTER ASSAULT

BESPIN AIRSPACE
emlvzuztivlp.jpeg
Bespin was such a gorgeous Fighter Squadron map in BF2015. It would be a terrific in-atmosphere addition to Starfighter Assault.

SOROSUUB CENTROPLEX on Sullust
y25krgkqi4jf.png
With already so many ground based turrets and turbolasers to take out, the fighter squadron version needs little tweaking to become a full fledged STARFIGHTER assault mode. Throw in a few blockade runners and imperial cruisers, an in-atmosphere star destroyer and a mon cal cruiser, a few operation cinder satellites and you're ready to go.

BATTLE OF JAKKU
157gpoe0ubg3.png

The bones are there for an incredible in-atmosphere Starfighter Assault mode. The campaign mission during the Battle of Jakku was gloriously chaotic and made you feel like you were in the middle of The final battle of the Empire.

SMALL MAPS
22ms1vhwbv0y.jpeg

I've recently detailed and proposed a Radical ReAlignment and Expansion for the small modes.
This would mean the addition of many smaller maps from BF2015 and some game modes. Also, I'd advocate for the addition of three maps from the Campaign. I won't go into crazy detail here... there's already a recent post for that).

When all is said and done:
OPERATIONS will consist of HUNT, DROP ZONE, DROID RUN, and CARGO in rotation.
BLAST will remain its own mode.
STRIKE will include EXTRACTION.
GALACTIC ASSAULT will include SABOTAGE.

Not every mode will be available on every map added, but the maps coming back for smaller game modes are:

GOAZAN BADLANDS
mrfnhr76cg9x.jpeg

DUNE SEA EXCHANGE
4r39hwem8lgk.jpeg

SULFUR FIELDS
cno75xao32me.jpeg

PALACE GARAGE
rekk02pp05v8.jpeg

SOROSUBB REFINERY
octw57d6nvjs.jpeg

SOROSUBB PIPELINE
77upgf22zkf7.jpeg

SWAMP CRASH SITE
jp5fzoi26znr.jpeg

BIONIP LABORATORIES
8irtxokn9avd.jpeg

CARBONITE FREEZE CHAMBER
jqf011jif44j.jpeg

PILLIO
55ypb4ad8fds.jpeg

VARDOS
jtr98g3m47co.jpeg

BESPIN
z8lkagdkewer.png

Maps shouldn't just be remastered, but reimagined and repurposed... Taking a cue from the "Survivors of Endor" map from BF2015 being used for Ewok Hunt, here are a few more that could/should be added...

WAMPA HUNT Map—ICE CAVES
qnpus4wwk2to.jpeg
2jlyniz5v116.png

Scenario—Left behind at Echo Base after the evacuation, your squad must survive one last day on frigid Hoth before the U-Wing comes back to evacuate you. Blizzard conditions. Near zero visibility. Increasing number of Wampas hunting you. All you have is your standard issue blaster, a short burst infrared "flashlight," and your wits

JAWA HUNT Map—Jawa Refuge (SWBF2015)
i5b705hg4oqi.jpeg

Scenario: An Imperial outpost on Tatooine is too close to comfort for a clan of Jawas, and before the stormtroopers stationed there can wipe out their camp, they've decided to take matters into their own hands. When not falls, they pull out their shock blasters and go after the stormtroopers. Stormtroopers try to defend their outpost. Jawas, Eyes glowing. Sporting Shock Blasters, trying to force stormtroopers off of their desert plant of Tatooine. Armed with E-11s and flashlights, stormtroopers will have their hands full. Uuteenee!!!!

TUSKEN RAIDER HUNT Map—Raider Camp (SWBF2015)
6zvyx4au4d3a.jpeg

Scenario: A small Rebel platoon on Patrol have gotten lost in a Tatooine sandstorm and wandered into a Tusken Raider Camp. But the winds are whipping up, the sand is blowing, and visibility is near zero. When the first cries of of the sand people echo through the canyons, the Rebels reach for their infrared binocs...and hope to survive the night.

HEROES

The final two heroes to be added are two old friends..

DENGAR and NIEN NUNB
bkn1e7tomtm1.jpeg
4wygzaqppv74.jpeg

HERO APPEARANCES

Closing out the content are a few highly desired hero skins for Luke Skywalker.

BESPIN FATIGUES
mpvk0bvzls09.jpeg
2crjf74tlscl.jpeg

JEDI ROBES (ROTJ)
5g25hymb27zw.jpeg
g4o6uibi025u.jpeg

ENDOR CAMOUFLAGE
fxx26fap6nzd.jpeg

Okay... So I tried to keep these down to a minimum, but after seeing this all laid out like this, I guess I included more than I intended. However, I think I make a strong case for all of this to come to pass. It's not like I'm asking for all of this at once. I'm giving DICE two years. I truly hope that all of what I've laid out in these 'Road Ahead' posts actually happen.

Certainly it would help with the variety in the game. It would allow people to play content that's been largely unavailable since BF2 bumped BF2015 off of the throne. And for some folks who NEVER had the chance to play 2015 DLC content, that part of the community missed out on some of the best content the game had to offer.

I'd like for there to be both a large scale and smaller scale objective mode availabke in ARCADE.

Lastly, I say that while I hope it all gets added, whatever DOES get added needs to be in ARCADE as well. I'm going to put together a summary of my 2019 and 2020 conent so I can track my predictions, speculation, and timing... Also for easy reference. Hey, at the very least it will give people the chance to tell me how wrong I was... I hear the Internet likes to do that.

Replies

• CeymalRen
    952 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    YES. I would not mind some of the maps from the previous game as I (and many others) did not play it that much. Also OT and ST maps are always welcome!