criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Would You Sacrifice Your Hard-Won Hero in Order to Save a GA Match?

Prev13
Would you sacrifice your hero in order to save a GA match for your team (in this instabce)?

Yesterday, on Endor, I was Rey and the Rebels were two tickets away from losing the first phase. I was currently at first place on the entire leaderboard, and I had a split-second decision to make: to either charge in and finish the last override or hang back and let the game end (with me finishing at first place). Even if I did extend the match, our AT-AT would be at very low health, a recipe for a definite end of the match in the second phase.

What would you have done? Charge in and die, but save the match? Or let the match finish knowing that you would finish first and that the match would end anyway on the next phase.

Let me know your repsonse in the comments!
Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019:
“Season” 4: Rogue One
“Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
“Season” 6: Episode IX

Replies

• I will let you know what I did after the first 10-15 responses.

• Ciena_Ree wrote: »
    Charge in. I don’t particularly care about where I finish up on the leaderboard, I like to be on the winning team, and if me sacrificing my hero is the only way to do it then so be it. I can always dash like mad to get enough points for a final hero, but the last phase of Endor, if you can get one or two people in for the timer, it’s usually an easy win for Light Side.

This is usually why I play Yoda though, I get him, I never die in a GA match. Easily the best hero.

This was the first phase. Yoda is good, does he have some form of a hok card? I haven’t upgraded him much in HvV yet.

• i would charge in, its always worth the crushing peoples lives in the at-at
    cause everything you read on the internet is true...
  • Icedragon7897
    1308 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Depends on the map and phase but if it's a steamroll I'd want it ended as fast as possible
  • Yes. Odds are youd be first anyway.
  • I always do whatever it takes to help my team and to gain the extra 100 credits for the victory
  • Depending on what hero I am and the situation.

Throwing away the farm boy or Scavenger in a situation like yours is something I would do.
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    gy16xibs0qi6.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.

• Id do everything to keep the match going, ive seen plenty sides turn a match around from the brink of defeat, id gladly sacrifice a hero to do so, winning is everything,
  • Whatever it takes to win.
  • Yes do it all the time
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    For me, there is no split second decision to make. Always charge in, always go for the win...especially if you can be the difference maker.

If your not playing to win, why play online against other people? I suspect ‘participation trophies’ are to blame for those that say there’s no incentive to go for it because...example: the credit payout isn’t much different.

In your case OP, you save your Rey, match ends....done deal. You go for it, you at least have a chance to capture the objective and take your Rey further. I’m betting you went for it.

Yes, the OP spoiled it in another discussion about lightsaber killstreaks😂
  • i did the other day with yoda on Maz 2nd phase they had the right side of the blown up and working on left had 12 ppl to get the game over so went on killing spree. we had probs w/the bomb they place it we disarm it they place we disarm they went into OT. they placed the bomb had 2 heros try to clear for disarm i ran up they hill killed anything i saw and well came across 3 heros so hit my hps buff and started to swing and fly everywhere i stall the 3 heros as well troopers long enough for us to win but died at the end.
  • That doesn't appear to be a hard question.

First, if you're first place by Phase 1, chances are you'd still be pretty high in the following phases.

Would you rather be top player on the losing team, or one of the top players on the winning team?
  • Fogcityroller
    120 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    If you don't push an objective to try and save the match then you have no business being in GA. The point of that game mode is to play the objective. I sacrifice my hero all the time, especially in overtime situations, when I know if I didn't we would have lost the match. People protecting leaderboard placement or killstreaks are the poster kids of cringe.

That's probably what makes this heroes unleashed stuff so aggravating. Heroes are easier to get than a street walker on a Friday night, but every one protects them like its the last hero they'll ever get. You know a bunch of 12 year olds are like "omg bossk I AM TEH GOD" but then they sit back off objectives, potato aiming their dioxis and dropping prox mines behind them instead of near the objective despite not even being pursued, ultimately squandering the best zone control hero for the remainder of the match.
  • Lee1981 wrote: »
    Yes do it all the time

This. If they made the credit difference between winning and losing greater, this probably wouldn't even be a question.
  • thelasteverjedi
    1127 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Would you sacrifice your hero in order to save a GA match for your team (in this instabce)?

Yesterday, on Endor, I was Rey and the Rebels were two tickets away from losing the first phase. I was currently at first place on the entire leaderboard, and I had a split-second decision to make: to either charge in and finish the last override or hang back and let the game end (with me finishing at first place). Even if I did extend the match, our AT-AT would be at very low health, a recipe for a definite end of the match in the second phase.

What would you have done? Charge in and die, but save the match? Or let the match finish knowing that you would finish first and that the match would end anyway on the next phase.

Of course. If the match is over you can't use your hero anyway, might as well inspire your troops. But if the match is going to overtime then you just get in front and lead, inspire but you don't have to die. But if match is ending I will jump in and die. What difference does it make. But your choice though.

but on more than one occasion i have evaded the entire enemy team to arm and objective while blocking all their fire and we move on to the next phase :)
    Post edited by thelasteverjedi on
  • If you don't push an objective to try and save the match then you have no business being in GA. The point of that game mode is to play the objective. I sacrifice my hero all the time, especially in overtime situations, when I know if I didn't we would have lost the match. People protecting leaderboard placement or killstreaks are the poster kids of cringe.

That's probably what makes this heroes unleashed stuff so aggravating. Heroes are easier to get than a street walker on a Friday night, but every one protects them like its the last hero they'll ever get. You know a bunch of 12 year olds are like "omg bossk I AM TEH GOD" but then they sit back off objectives, potato aiming their dioxis and dropping prox mines behind them instead of near the objective despite not even being pursued, ultimately squandering the best zone control hero for the remainder of the match.

but i know from personal experience that you greatly improve once you reach thirteen
  • I do what is most logical, so yes when the time comes I do anything it takes to win. Ive sacrificed many heros on Yavin 4 center objective (the most important one)
  • Ciena_Ree wrote: »
    Charge in. I don’t particularly care about where I finish up on the leaderboard, I like to be on the winning team, and if me sacrificing my hero is the only way to do it then so be it. I can always dash like mad to get enough points for a final hero, but the last phase of Endor, if you can get one or two people in for the timer, it’s usually an easy win for Light Side.

This is usually why I play Yoda though, I get him, I never die in a GA match. Easily the best hero.

This was the first phase. Yoda is good, does he have some form of a hok card? I haven’t upgraded him much in HvV yet.

Yes. Health back for every unleash kill.
  • That doesn't appear to be a hard question.

You’re right it doesn’t. Yet I guarantee everyone here has played a match and observed the blaster hero or Jedi hanging back looking for cheap, unhelpful kills as the phase/match ends. :(
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • that is about have of the people competent enough to get a hero
  • What did you do?

I charged in and finished the override. I died a second after it was done, and we advanced to phase two. We got the AT-AT inside the walls of the base, but we did not advance to Phase 3. I finished 5th on my team, didn’t make Top 5 and never saw Rey again the entire match.
    Cadoth wrote: »
    Piscettios wrote: »
    For me, there is no split second decision to make. Always charge in, always go for the win...especially if you can be the difference maker.

If your not playing to win, why play online against other people? I suspect ‘participation trophies’ are to blame for those that say there’s no incentive to go for it because...example: the credit payout isn’t much different.

In your case OP, you save your Rey, match ends....done deal. You go for it, you at least have a chance to capture the objective and take your Rey further. I’m betting you went for it.

This made me laugh.

• What did you do?

I charged in and finished the override. I died a second later, and we advanced to phase two. We, the Rebels, got the AT-AT inside the walls of the base, but it was destroyed before we could advance to phase three. I didn’t even finish on the podium, and I finished fifth on on my team. I never saw Rey again the entire match.

• Cadoth wrote: »
    Piscettios wrote: »

This made me laugh.

• On a side note, I sacrificed my hero for the objective multiple times today in GA, and I must say it was a very satisfying feeling. Thank you all for your feedback!

• Afrom3istwr
    864 posts Member
    edited January 1
    Lol do this all of the time. Saved a match on Hoth last week. We were about to lose the phase 3.

It was the middle objective. I had Lando, threw smoke, rushed in activated disabler and disabled the objective with just a sliver left. It was so close, my buddy thought we lost the game, even though the cutaway VO showed the rebels getting away.
  • Depends how the match is going. If it's going really poorly, I'll let the steamroll end and join in to a new lobby after the match ends. Otherwise I always try to push the objective, especially as a hero to try and be the difference.
  • I have almost the opposite problem. I'll happily sacrifice my hero to save the game ( or to at least try ) as that is kind of what heroes are about anyway but there are times when I probably need to work a little on making my hero last so that I can help the team longer term. Often I'll die thinking 'well I got to play a hero and I didn't hog it so someone better can use it now' but if I am actually one of the better players on the team ( when I'm near the top of the leaderboard it is usually because of Officer stuff but occasionally I might be one of the better people for clearing out opponents ) I'd probably be better off using a hero constructively to further the team's progress.
  • Zyder
    187 posts Member
    In HU yes, of course.
    In normal GA, absolutely not.
  • Lee1981
    1240 posts Member
    Zyder wrote: »
    In HU yes, of course.
    I don’t get this attitude

So your saying you would rather the game ends early than sacrifice your hero and the match last longer

• Welcome to the hero sacrificial chamber, for me I'd rather the game last till the dying seconds
  • Hell i sacrifice them to my own stupidity enough i have no problem doing it for an actual goal ;)
  • I usually don’t need to sacrifice my hero. One of three things happens to me: we are crushing the other team in which case I don’t need to do anything, the match is BALANCED, in which case I can take the objective without dying, or we’re getting slaughtered, in which case I’m probably already dead.
  • I would charge in, what's the point of not doing it? You keep your Hero but the game ends so no more playing the Hero in that round anyway, if you risk it you at least have a chance to win and to keep playing your Hero.

In fact i consider one of my best runs with a Hero one that didn't gave me much kills, but after the people who didn't push the objective finally lost their Heros i got to use Yoda and the second phase of the Death Star, with only a few tickets left and mange to capture the objective with him just as we were running out of tickets. In the last phase i again could capture the last objective with him as we went into overtime, i died like a split second after i captured it, but so worth it.
  • Of course.. I do it all the time... Surely u should or game is over anyway?
  • Zyder wrote: »
    In HU yes, of course.

This is ridiculous.. I just don't understand the logic
  • If players not willing to die as a hero in GA then they shouldn't be playing as one. PTFO always.
  • Would you sacrifice your hero in order to save a GA match for your team (in this instabce)?

If I am playing as Royalty then no never because only I get to play as Royalty in the entire match. You think I'm actually going to let some random play as Royalty don't thinks so. He deserves to be played by the best of the best in the real world, not by some third rate commoner that can barely last with the most unique character in the game. The other new heroes that were recently introduced in the game are only cheap knockoff versions of other heroes that already exist in the game. Obi wan kenoobi is the cheap version of Jedi Queen Rey.

Jedi Queen Rey= expensive designer brand (original limited edition whose value goes up in time, will be worth more than gold in ten years. The new world currency thank you very much, get used to seeing her face in all the bills)
    Obi wan kenoobi= cheap Walmart drugstore brand( rips easily).

So ya the only reason I would ever sacrifice a hero, because my team just happens to be so bad that I need to do a silly sacrifice in the first place, would be because I am playing as a hero that I don't really care about. Like Bob or the annoying chewbacca.

• At that point, who cares? My question would be, how long had you been Rey before suddenly realizing you're going to lose? I mean, I'm guessing if you're first in points, you probably won the race to the first hero by a landslide considering Rey is out of era, which means when you got your hero there should have been about 40-60 tickets left. All isn't lost at that point. So why wait until 2 tickets left to make that decision? Why not "sacrifice" your character prior to imminent doom?

Now let's say you have the option of getting your hero late in the first round. When you spawn in as Rey, you're in first place, and your team has less than 10 tickets left. Well, why did you pick Rey? Was it for a screenshot of Rey in 1st for your archives? Was it because you felt Rey gave you the best chance of winning? Was it because Rey is the easiest to maintain your points lead due to easy wall hack kill assists?

So my guess is that you got Rey with about 30-60 tickets left and then went on a sick killstreak, mopping up Stormtroopers, not really focusing on the objective, and when you got near the end you felt a level of guilt for your amazing first place score on a losing team, and an obligation to make a "sacrifice" to feel like a team player.

Next time play the objective from the start, especially when you get the hero, and you shouldn't run into that problem. But to answer your question, I would have immediately sacrificed my hero to cap the last objective. Because getting to phase 2 is the only possible way to win the match. Sorry if I'm coming off as grumpy, but you're "predicament" is exactly why games end in Phase 1. PTFO.
  • Axone
    327 posts Member
    Yes, I love winning!
  • PTFO. People who hog heros just to sit in the back line until the game ends in a loss need to break their disk and stop playing.
  • Zyder wrote: »
    In HU yes, of course.

This is ridiculous.. I just don't understand the logic

Normal GA there is no need as 99% of all games is a steamroll and only need 1 hero spawn until victory screen.

If it’s absolutely needed for the win sure, however it never is.
  • I would always sacrifice a hero to win a game, phase or to hurt the other side..you can always earn another one.