criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Will Darth Maul be buffed in any future updates?

Prev13
MC_XIX
1176 posts Member
At one time, Maul was the strongest lightsaber villain on the Dark Side. He was never overpowered, but when his Furious Throw worked and getting staggered by sabers was uncommon, Maul was powerful in HvV and GA.

Currently, he's a good choice in GA, but only because of his Spin Attack. He's hard to pin down and his HoK card boosted him to an mid-upper tier villain in that mode, but he's still behind Palpatine, Bossk, Vader, Grievous and maybe Iden in my opinion.

In HvV, unfortunately, he's terrible. He struggles against saber users because he has no block to defend himself with. The damage of all of his abilities is too low, and his abilities are very unreliable and easy to counter. He also has the lowest health of all saber users and no way to increase this. In summary, he's just bad. Probably the worst saber user of all in this mode.

So, to bring Maul back to where he was at launch, I suggest the following changes:

Furious Throw
- Increase the hitbox by 100%. This ability just doesn't register when it hits an enemy. It often passes through them without dealing damage, and serves to only disarm Maul until it returns to his hand. Increasing the hitbox substantially should solve this. It still won't be as reliable as Vader's because it travels vertically, but it is thrown very fast which makes up for this.

Choke Hold
- Increase damage to 100 vs heroes, and 125 vs infantry. 77 damage is laughably low and for little reward. This ability is completely inferior to Luke's Push; Choke Hold cannot be used while jumping, and has a two-stage animation which leaves Maul vulnerable to blasters and staggering. Increasing the damage to 100 will make the ability more deadly in HvV because 100 damage is often enough to finish an enemy that has taken a few lightsaber hits. 77 damage is not. It would also mean that Maul can use it to finish a Heavy off after striking them.

Also, I would like to see he health buffed as detailed below. But that's only a personal preference, not necessarily essential.

Health
- Increase base health to 750, to match most of the other lightsber heroes. Maul does not have a block to defend himself with, so I can't really see why he should also have the lowest health of all saber users. Against the likes of Rey, Obi-Wan & Luke, Maul just can't compete directly with them. He has to be used extremely carefully.

Replies

• NomiSunstrider
    1579 posts Member
    edited January 10
    i think Maul is quite balanced. Just fix his Furious throw and he will be good.

His force choke should do more damage. 75 damage is pathetic to heros & infantry alike

I think to infantry is fine but against heroes it could use a dmg buff. But his furious throw deals 150 dmg and if it works 100% that's a big buff since it travels fast and ohk troopers.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• i think Maul is quite balanced. Just fix his Furious throw and he will be good.

His force choke should do more damage. 75 damage is pathetic to heros & infantry alike

I think to infantry is fine but against heroes it could use a dmg buff. But his furious throw deals 150 dmg and if it works 100% that's a big buff since it travels fast and ohk troopers.

His force choke should at least do 120 to troopers. It's his middle ability after all middle abilities are usually the high damage kind
  • He is fine

''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• unit900000
    2098 posts Member
    edited January 10
    I agree something needs to be done about his saber throw but I think choke hold is fine and is better used for getting out of bad situations but if you want to buff choke holds damage it should be vs heroes only sense hes very strong in GA right now you are really underestimating just how good he is in GA he was all ready good before the health card but now hes one of the hardest heroes to kill in the game. Maul is top 3 up there with Bossk and Palps in GA Iden and Vader aren't as good as Maul on most maps with a few exceptions and Grievous is honestly low tier and not much of a threat outside of maybe a few maps/phases.
  • DarthLando
    340 posts Member
    edited January 10
    #1 When was Maul the #1 ds hero ?

#2 He’s not terrible in HvV

I think his choke needs to be buffed, while increasing the hit box on his throw

Other than that I think he’s okay

Just my opinion doeee

• A damage buff to his choke hold it’s a good idea and also a little fix to his furious throw wouldn’t be a bad thing though, and if you didn’t know Maul is able to use choke hold while jumping
  • unit900000 wrote: »
    I agree something needs to be done about his saber throw but I think choke hold is fine and is better used for getting out of bad situations but if you want to buff choke holds damage it should be vs heroes only sense hes very strong in GA right now you are really underestimating just how good he is in GA he was all ready good before the health card but now hes one of the hardest heroes to kill in the game. Maul is top 3 up there with Bossk and Palps in GA Iden and Vader aren't as good as Maul on most maps with a few exceptions and Grievous is honestly low tier and not much of a threat outside of maybe a few maps/phases.

Iden is way better than maul on every map. She's the third best hero for the lightside in GA. & since most maps have choke points she should always be a top pick. Vader is also Vader & his damage reduction reliable saber throw & damage output put him above maul. If you're running line up weaklings, Sith trained & his health card grievous is just as good if not better than maul.

So did you think luke force push was fine back when it did mediocre damage against troopers.
  • DarthLando wrote: »

Just my opinion doeee

Never he was never the best hero. Might be your favorite but he's not the best nor has he been.
  • In GA, he is top tier but he's also very good in HvV. Not having a block is fine, it makes him unique. I will agree on two things, increasing his Furious Throw hitbox but maybe not quite to Vader's level. Increasing his Choke Hold damage to 100 sounds fine as right now it's only useful for pushing off ledges and currently for knocking down enemies and spam attack them but that's just because it's bugged and you get pushed upwards instead of forward.
  • He is fine

nice you know how to use Maul well.
  • He is fine

You sir get a sub

So did you think luke force push was fine back when it did mediocre damage against troopers.

Luke was no were near the level that Maul is right now so no.
  • Maul is top 3 in GA atm, no buffs needed, only fixes for his saber throw. A slight buff for his choke throw against heroes only.
  • unit900000
    2098 posts Member
    edited January 10
    double post
    Post edited by unit900000 on

Iden is way better than maul on every map. She's the third best hero for the lightside in GA. & since most maps have choke points she should always be a top pick. Vader is also Vader & his damage reduction reliable saber throw & damage output put him above maul. If you're running line up weaklings, Sith trained & his health card grievous is just as good if not better than maul.

Iden and Vader can be better then Maul depending on the map and phase but I feel on most maps Maul is a better pick then either of them hes just far faster and harder to kill then either of them and just as powerful if you know how to use your spin attacks well. as far as Grievous goes I never find him much of a threat in GA I just dont think hes very good in GA hes a better pick in HvV him being better then Maul is absurd.

this is why I copy my posts now they need to fix this nonsense that makes your comment disappear if its edited guess I get punished for forgetting to put is before absurd and trying to edit.
  • Raices wrote: »
    Maul is top 3 in GA atm, no buffs needed, only fixes for his saber throw. A slight buff for his choke throw against heroes only.

pretty much this.
  • lerodemmy wrote: »
    Some other potential Dark Side buff ideas:
    • Double Freeze duration.
    • Triple Triple B's mine output.
    • Allow Grievous to quadruple hit with Claw Rush.
    • Quintuple number of rockets for Boba.
    • Give Phasma unlimited droids that never disappear.

good ideas
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• lerodemmy wrote: »
    Some other potential Dark Side buff ideas:
    • Double Freeze duration.
    • Triple Triple B's mine output.
    • Allow Grievous to quadruple hit with Claw Rush.
    • Quintuple number of rockets for Boba.
    • Give Phasma unlimited droids that never disappear.

LMAO. these forums wouldn't be the same without your sarcasm make sure you dont leave us anytime soon.
  • unit900000
    2098 posts Member
    edited January 10
    double post
    Maul is top 3 in GA atm, no buffs needed, only fixes for his saber throw. A slight buff for his choke throw against heroes only.

Imma have to say no. Iden no matter the phase or map is a better hero & if you mean he overall it's a heck no. Palpatine, rey, bossk, yoda are all better than him I'd say luke as well.

Imma have to say no. Iden no matter the phase or map is a better hero & if you mean he overall it's a heck no. Palpatine, rey, bossk, yoda are all better than him I'd say luke as well.

I mean top 3 for the villains, Iden is up there with him but i give Maul the edge because he's way harder to focus and kill. Let's say Maul is 3a and Iden 3b.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2205 posts Member
    edited January 10
    Maul isn't a better hero than Iden for GA. They might be roughly equal in killstreak potential vs a bad LS comp but he's bad against anything with more than 200 health (i.e. everyone when Yoda or Finn is around) whereas Iden is barely affected.

He also can't perform extra utility functions Iden can like killing vehicles (fighters/LAAT) or arming objectives.
  • Maul isn't a better hero than Iden for GA. They might be roughly equal in killstreak potential vs a bad LS comp but he's bad against anything with more than 200 health (i.e. everyone when Yoda or Finn is around) whereas Iden is barely affected.

He also can't perform extra utility functions Iden can like killing vehicles (fighters/LAAT) or arming objectives.

Good points, that's why i have them 3a and 3b.
  • quenaelin
    590 posts Member
    edited January 10
    Maul is fine, but his throw should be fixed, devs have tried to fix it too many times without success. You really have to be accurate with it, otherwise it misses and seem to be going through enemies.
  • Maul isn't a better hero than Iden for GA. They might be roughly equal in killstreak potential vs a bad LS comp but he's bad against anything with more than 200 health (i.e. everyone when Yoda or Finn is around) whereas Iden is barely affected.

This
  • Give to saber throw Vader's one hitbox since they can't fix it, back in the day it was so juicy to chain his abilities together and get good burst damage before the opponent could do anything again.
    Also i'm not against making his dashes drain more defensive stamina.
  • Give to saber throw Vader's one hitbox since they can't fix it, back in the day it was so juicy to chain his abilities together and get good burst damage before the opponent could do anything again.
    Also i'm not against making his dashes drain more defensive stamina.

This. His dashes do nothing to luke meanwhile lukes dashes drain everyone's stamina a good but
  • Against sabers when he is no longer exposed to uncounterable damage he will be at a more level playing field. As for saber throw it should deal more base damage than vaders if it's going to have a near non-existent hit box. It's near pointless to run the extra damage card if the move still can't even kill a heavy.
  • Against sabers when he is no longer exposed to uncounterable damage he will be at a more level playing field. As for saber throw it should deal more base damage than vaders if it's going to have a near non-existent hit box. It's near pointless to run the extra damage card if the move still can't even kill a heavy.

His saber throw is so hard to land that it should inflict 200dmg to compensate
  • he is perfectly balanced BUT these changes are small enough that they will definitely not make him OP
    cause everything you read on the internet is true...
  • Maul is one of my favs, not a very good hero player but I always seem to do very well with him.
    I agree his furious throw needs more work, I don’t even bother to use it half the time. I’ll chuck it out there but never actually rely on it to do anything.
    I have no problem with a slight damage buff to his choke throw, but don’t think it’s a necessity and he’s not in need of more health IMO.

Overall good and reasonable suggestions OP
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Sorry but I disagree. His damage for Choke Throw is low, however DS needs no buffs with the game in its current state.

Maul is GREAT in both GA and HvV and he always has been. Even before his HOK I was routinely running 40-60 killstreaks in GA.

This is a regular occurrence in HvV. Ask people who play with me.
    pwpnklywaxnu.jpeg

Maul is excellent and has the highest mobility of all the DS saber users. And in HvV when played right he can be a very good duelist.

On the subject of your fixes.

Increasing the hitbox or furious throw is a bad idea. Let’s not turn an ability that requires precision and aim into a skill less toss the saber and hit enemies regardless of where you aim. How about they just actually fix the ability?

Choke throw damage, sure he could use more but not right now. And honestly if they never touched it I’m fine. But again, in the current state of the game the DS needs no buffs.

His health, I think is honestly fine. He has the highest mobility out of all the saber users and can avoid damage like no other.
  • Fix his saber throw, buff his choke, and give him a better dodge and he's balanced.
  • Fix his saber throw, buff his choke, and give him a better dodge and he's balanced.

Better dodge? You’re kidding right?
  • Maul is actually fine right now - one of the best in GA, and also great in HvV.

But I would love his saber throw to work like it did when the game released (before they broke it). Adding a bit of damage to his choke throw would be fine too, but at the same time isn't needed - but it's not a major change, so either way is fine.
    Maul has like the best lightsaber dodge in the game.
    21 years in the making... the wait is almost over. Pre-order RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    header.jpg?t=1547513853

It can't reliably dodge lightsabers since it has no invincibility frames.
    lerodemmy wrote: »
    Fix his saber throw, buff his choke, and give him a better dodge and he's balanced.

See above post.

Fix his saber throw, buff his choke, and give him a better dodge and he's balanced.

See above post.

Yeah no.

See above post.

Yeah no.

You do realize that against any competent lightsaber user Maul is dead, right? You guys go on and on about how Palpatine won't lose to any Jedi, but the Jedi absolutely wreck Maul and you think that's fine?
  • MC_XIX
    1176 posts Member
    DarthLando wrote: »

Just my opinion doeee

I never said he was the best DS villain overall. I said he was the best lightsaber user on the DS at launch, which he was.

He is terrible in HvV. He's predictable, easy to rag doll, and quickly overwhelmed by blasters. It's no coincidence that I never see any Maul players in HvV that give me a hard time. Everyone I meet just uses him to run around the map playing hide and seek.
    he is perfectly balanced BUT these changes are small enough that they will definitely not make him OP

He can't be perfectly balanced when one of his abilities doesn't work and another does less damage than a blaster shot. I mean, come on. 77 damage? That's less than a single shot from Han's DL-44! (80 damage)

• MC_XIX
    1176 posts Member
    I'm intrigued. I've noticed a lot of you guys, in the same post, say that he's nicely balanced and doesn't need any changes, but then you go on to say he does need a small damage buff and improvements to his abilities.

He can't be perfectly balanced with a broken ability and another which deals 77 damage. 77 damage is hard to believe when you have Boba dealing 500 with rocket barrage and Lando at 200 with Sharpshot which can target an unlimited number of enemies. 77 damage is less than a single body shot from Han's DL-44...lol

See above post.

Yeah no.

You do realize that against any competent lightsaber user Maul is dead, right? You guys go on and on about how Palpatine won't lose to any Jedi, but the Jedi absolutely wreck Maul and you think that's fine?

Are you sure you don’t just suck with Maul?

See above post.

Yeah no.

Double no

See above post.

Yeah no.

For now. Wait til the lightsaber system gets reworked & I promise he'll destroy luke & the rest

See above post.

Yeah no.

Are you sure you don’t just suck with Maul?

Are you sure you don't just suck with the Jedi?
  • With his Furious Throw hitbox and Choke Hold damage I agree. Otherwise he's pretty good.
    Current Topics:
    Possible Locations: Geonosis
    Hero Appearances: Leia Organa

cggn8altuzp0.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ. ɪᴛ ɪꜱ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ. ❞
    - Leia Organa