criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Forest of Endor

Another Star Wars Game Cancelled (Future of BF2)

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371?fbclid=IwAR1cvbZ9a7DTPHBNALNLRXnsKotOcJqQzLyMaGOna2guhCkfWT1kygKU4BE

I ask this sincerely; should we worry about the future of Battlefront 2?

I have absolutely no idea about the inner workings of EA or it's developers and this isn't about bashing EA. But hopefully the devs can understand my anxiousness after everything that has happened to Star Wars games/projects under the EA banner. I just recently got back into BF2 and I'm having a blast, but this news has made me a little uneasy, it feels like at this rate BF2 won't be supported for much longer, even the big updates in February look questionable.

Battlefront 2 is finally shaping up to be that Star Wars game most of us wanted. I want to see it supported and updated for a while so it can be one of the great SW games it should and could be, but can you blame me for worrying about it's future?

(Also please tell me I don't have to worry about Jedi Fallen Order too)

Replies

• It's weird but as a fan of Star Wars video games I am used to them being cancelled. It happens all the time.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • bfloo
    15841 posts Member
    I thought this was cancelled and we were getting fallen order instead when they closed that visceral.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Lee1981
    1985 posts Member
    Ehie wrote: »
    https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371?fbclid=IwAR1cvbZ9a7DTPHBNALNLRXnsKotOcJqQzLyMaGOna2guhCkfWT1kygKU4BE

I have absolutely no idea about the inner workings of EA or it's developers and this isn't about bashing EA. But hopefully the devs can understand my anxiousness after everything that has happened to Star Wars games/projects under the EA banner. I just recently got back into BF2 and I'm having a blast, but this news has made me a little uneasy, it feels like at this rate BF2 won't be supported for much longer, even the big updates in February look questionable.

Battlefront 2 is finally shaping up to be that Star Wars game most of us wanted. I want to see it supported and updated for a while so it can be one of the great SW games it should and could be, but can you blame me for worrying about it's future?

(Also please tell me I don't have to worry about Jedi Fallen Order too)
    The future of battlefront 2?

Not sure what you mean by that, if you look through all the discussions yesterday & today you will a lot of answers and confirmations from @F8RGE,

No new weapons, stats, maps for extraction, plus a few more

That there is your future, so do not expect much content or big new changes in this game, this time next year this game will be dead anyway, every game has its cycle and this one if on its last legs

• Ehie wrote: »

I’d say until there is an updated roadmap, then technically there is no future beyond February/March, only speculation.

• bfloo wrote: »
    I thought this was cancelled and we were getting fallen order instead when they closed that visceral.

Thats what I thought.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Wing02k6
    56 posts Member
    edited January 16
    From 2002 - 2006 LucasArts released 16 Star Wars games during that timespan.

2013 to 2018.. EA released only 2! That is unacceptable..
  • This was already rumored to be cancelled anyway I thought. Fallen Order should be okay since the new movie will be coming out around then. Who knows about BF2. Lol
  • Troopper_FoFo
    1057 posts Member
    edited January 17
    Wing02k6 wrote: »

Actually they released 3 you forgot Galaxy of heroes.

But from 2013 to 2018 there have been 16 star wars games released all together. 13 have been mobile games. 1 pinball game and 2 console games.

There are also several more mobile games confirmed. It seems mobile is were star wars is heading.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Mobile games are usually pretty lame
  • Mobile games are usually pretty lame

Yeah. Mobile Games are only build around Lootboxes....oh snap! ;)
  • Wing02k6 wrote: »

But from 2013 to 2018 there have been 16 star wars games released all together. 13 have been mobile games. 1 pinball game and 2 console games.

There are also several more mobile games confirmed. It seems mobile is were star wars is heading.

13 MOBILE GAMES? REALLY? Sorry kid but mobile and pinball games DONT COUNT when it comes to AAA games and galaxy of heroes isn't a AAA game. You want to know why they keep doing mobile games over Major Titles on PC and Consoles? simple. "Games as a Service and Microtransactions". They know they can get away with it there where unlike on PC and Consoles, they cant because of the amount of intelligence that our Gaming communities have and how we have a nasty zero tolerance policy for it.

So yeah. 2 Games is all they mainly created. 2 Games that were complete trash to begin with. 2 games that created nothing but controversy under EA's leadership since day 1. (Andrew Wilson) <-- Culprit. They were also known for creating the most down voted reddit post in reddit history thanks to this "Sense of Pride and Accomplishment". There is more I could add to what fiasco they caused but for everyone's sake, I'm going to just leave it at that. I'm sure the rest of the folks can figure the rest out.

Microtransactions have NEVER supported games. That money doesn't go to supporting new content nor creating new titles. That money only goes to share/stock/holders/investors. If anyone is saying they love microtransactions, you've come to the wrong place.

• Versatti wrote: »
    Ehie wrote: »

I’d say until there is an updated roadmap, then technically there is no future beyond February/March, only speculation.

Any word on when that road map will arrive??
  • bfloo
    15841 posts Member

I don't count mobile games that are built for a 15 minute daily grind.

h846398gb27k.png

Ya... I see 3 (maybe 4) of those 16 games as being any good... not only that but of the few games that were actually good, not a single one was developed by LucasArts lol... probably the reason Disney shut them down almost immediately upon acquiring the property.
  • bfloo
    15841 posts Member
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

Ya... I see 3 (maybe 4) of those 16 games as being any good... not only that but of the few games that were actually good, not a single one was developed by LucasArts lol... probably the reason Disney shut them down almost immediately upon acquiring the property.

Is Bounty Hunter your 3rd good one too?

h846398gb27k.png

• t3hBar0n wrote: »

LucasArts was a "publisher" group like EA and Activision during that time before Disney bought the IP and absorbed it basically. There were dev groups that were making games under their leadership and they made more games than EA ever could since EA's "Games as a Service" never existed during that time. Theres a huge list to go by if you look it up. It don't matter how good the games were during that time. Fact is; EA has only made 2 games under that 10 year license deal since 2013 and they were post to make games for the PC and Consoles generally and they have not. Mobile Games don't count since they don't fall into the AAA Game Category.

Btw did you ever heard about Lord of the Rings Conquest? It was a battlefront game made by Pandemic which made the original Star Wars Battlefront games. Have you ever wondered what happened to that game? EA turned off the multiplayer services just 1 year after the game was released. People had to find 3rd party programs made by the community to keep the Multiplayer services running again without the need of EA's "Games as a Service".

That's something that can happen here on Battlefront 2 knowing EA's Leadership at this point in time and that's something that is not acceptable. The Monetization schemes is what's keeping people from playing Battlefront 2 at this very moment since consumers didn't want monetization in the game period.

13 MOBILE GAMES? REALLY? Sorry kid but mobile and pinball games DONT COUNT when it comes to AAA games and galaxy of heroes isn't a AAA game. You want to know why they keep doing mobile games over Major Titles on PC and Consoles? simple. "Games as a Service and Microtransactions". They know they can get away with it there where unlike on PC and Consoles, they cant because of the amount of intelligence that our Gaming communities have and how we have a nasty zero tolerance policy for it.

Yes 13 mobile games. Here is a list. Most of these get made and shut down in a year. Its easy fast money. Mobile is where Disney wants star wars. Also I am not a kid.

Star Wars: Force Collection
    Star Wars: Tiny Death Star
    Star Wars: Assault Team
    Star Wars: Commander
    Star Wars: Galactic Defense
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
    Star Wars: Force Arena
    Star Wars: Uprising
    Star Wars: Heroes Path
    Star Wars Rebels: Recon Missions
    2 Star Wars Journeys games
    and a mobile port of star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.

3 or 4 is still more than 2. At least there was more of a chance for fans to have fun.
  • I know its an old thread at this point but this has to be said. Sorry.

Yes 13 mobile games. Here is a list. Most of these get made and shut down in a year. Its easy fast money. Mobile is where Disney wants star wars. Also I am not a kid.

13 mobile games that are NOT AAA games. Ever Heard of a group called Rooster Teeth? They said the same thing as well on one their vids about this fiasco that EA has been doing this whole time. They want to see Disney to take that license out of EA hands for good and I don't mind that either. playback at 49:31 That's where they mention about Star Wars.

The only AAA games we have seen are the 2 Battlefront games made by DICE. EA was post to be making AAA games for 10 years and only 2 have been made since they had this license in 2013. EA Canceled so many games that were NON-Monetizable that could've done so well for them but because of the high frauds at EA, They only want games with monetization schemes involved so they could please their shareholders at Wall St.

Have you also ever noticed also about the Video Game Awards the Last few years? EA Claimed that Single Player Games are not worth the time and investment on. When Witcher 3, DOOM, Zelda BOTW, and God of War won game of the year awards and all of them were Single Player game based, That tells ya that Monetization schemes don't win the audiences over and they ain't making record breaking sales like those games did. We also had writers from The Rogue One movie that called out EA/DICE for bad story telling on Battlefront 2. No language and all intended on the video. If moderators have to what they do best (censorship), that's fine. play it at 5:18 and you can see what is shown there. Not pretty.

So yeah. Lots of things that have been riding this license EA has with Star Wars on the Line right now and its NOT PRETTY. Is it going to impact Battlefront later on? To be honest, YES IT WILL. Will Respawn's (Jedi Fallen Order) Be Canceled? Since last Year's E3 Presentation and Vince Zampella didn't show any preview of the game and all during that Interview, The force tells me YES IT WILL BE CANCELED. I doubt were going to see anything about it in E3 2019.
    I know its an old thread at this point but this has to be said. Sorry.

13 mobile games that are NOT AAA games. Ever Heard of a group called Rooster Teeth? They said the same thing as well on one their vids about this fiasco that EA has been doing this whole time. They want to see Disney to take that license out of EA hands for good and I don't mind that either. playback at 49:31 That's where they mention about Star Wars.

The only AAA games we have seen are the 2 Battlefront games made by DICE. EA was post to be making AAA games for 10 years and only 2 have been made since they had this license in 2013. EA Canceled so many games that were NON-Monetizable that could've done so well for them but because of the high frauds at EA, They only want games with monetization schemes involved so they could please their shareholders at Wall St.

Have you also ever noticed also about the Video Game Awards the Last few years? EA Claimed that Single Player Games are not worth the time and investment on. When Witcher 3, DOOM, Zelda BOTW, and God of War won game of the year awards and all of them were Single Player game based, That tells ya that Monetization schemes don't win the audiences over and they ain't making record breaking sales like those games did. We also had writers from The Rogue One movie that called out EA/DICE for bad story telling on Battlefront 2. No language and all intended on the video. If moderators have to what they do best (censorship), that's fine. play it at 5:18 and you can see what is shown there. Not pretty.

So yeah. Lots of things that have been riding this license EA has with Star Wars on the Line right now and its NOT PRETTY. Is it going to impact Battlefront later on? To be honest, YES IT WILL. Will Respawn's (Jedi Fallen Order) Be Canceled? Since last Year's E3 Presentation and Vince Zampella didn't show any preview of the game and all during that Interview, The force tells me YES IT WILL BE CANCELED. I doubt were going to see anything about it in E3 2019.

I love when people act like EA is a charity and should do what is best for gaming...news flash, they are a hugely successful company whose only goal is to make money... they do that amazingly well. If you think other publishers are chomping at the bit to likely pay a massive up front cost + the highest licensing fees in the business to develop games over which Disney has final say on virtually everything, think again. AAA games are massive financial investments, and that investment becomes even less enticing when a third party (Disney) is retaining creative control and will always be the primary beneficiary of that investment. EA is good at the video game business and making money, but they are nothing compared to Disney. When this contract is up, if Disney can make the most money by renewing the contract with EA, the contract will remain with EA... if Disney will make more money elsewhere, the contract will go there.

I love when people act like EA is a charity and should do what is best for gaming...news flash, they are a hugely successful company whose only goal is to make money... they do that amazingly well. If you think other publishers are chomping at the bit to likely pay a massive up front cost + the highest licensing fees in the business to develop games over which Disney has final say on virtually everything, think again. AAA games are massive financial investments, and that investment becomes even less enticing when a third party (Disney) is retaining creative control and will always be the primary beneficiary of that investment. EA is good at the video game business and making money, but they are nothing compared to Disney. When this contract is up, if Disney can make the most money by renewing the contract with EA, the contract will remain with EA... if Disney will make more money elsewhere, the contract will go there.

Wile this is mostly true, Disney also needs to look at what EA does for their brand. If J:FA is terrible, mess of a game that's bad news. Sure the millions of units it will sell will help them dry the tears but it's still not good.
  • If mobile games are the "future" of star wars games,well. I'm switching over to star trek.
  • bfloo
    15841 posts Member
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

EA was good, all of their franchises are in decline these days. Their sports games have become trash, they wasted the Star Wars license, frostbite is great for graphics, but lacks for game play.

h846398gb27k.png