criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

(Aussie) Unable to play multiplayer, Reduce the amount of players needed to start a game? Add Bots?

Sodaman
2 posts Member
edited January 19
Hi

I'm a player from Australia, our playerbase is considerably lower than the other regions around the world. On a given normal day there is usually one server running here, so when its full it puts us into a new server, however to even play we have to wait for another 20 people to play. This takes way to long to happen, infact it never happens because people leave almost instantly or even if they wait a bit, they will get fed up and leave. So this stops us from being able to play the game effectively.

I'd like to propose either a lower cap of people required to start a game, even as low as 2 or 4 people. Then if people join they will not leave as they are able to play rather than sit on the character select screen for all eternity waiting for a match that will never start as it needs 20 people.

One other alternative is to have a certain amount of bots pre determined on each side say 6-12 and then as players join they slowly replace them. It atleast means if someone wants to jump on and earn experience for their characters they can do so without having to wait ludicrous amounts of time to be able to do so.

I feel either of these two options would actually start to increase the playerbase as players would be able to play matches more often.

Cheers,
Loyal Star Wars fan and gamer,
Sodaman
Post edited by Sodaman on

Replies

• I agree. Alternatively, a server browser like in any civilised game (even made by the same studio - Battlefield) would allow us to queue for the full game and guarantee a spot - potentially if enough people are in the queue, start a new lobby/game automatically?
  • Agree.
  • Bumping this post.
  • Gears of War has bot backfilling, Rocket League has bot backfilling, and I'm willing to be other games do too.

how this game, of all games, doesn't have it when it's the exact kind of game that needs it? who knows.

Maybe because the AI in this game isn't all that great. Sure, some of the Battle Scenarios in arcade can be quite tough, but that's only because of increased enemy health and the amount of them, but their intelligence is still as dumb as a brick.

• I wish that DeepMind would create a game AI bot lab that focuses on providing plugins for various types of games. Their reinforcement algorithms can figure out some very interesting strategies in first person shooter type games.

Sadly, I doubt this will ever happen because they're focused on research and not so much the immediate practical applications.
  • Killzone Shadow Fall had this option in Warzones. You could pick the map rotation, weapons, and whether or not to add AI bots in case player population was low. I'm in U.S. but even our online population is dwindling. Went to join a round of GA the other morning and I literally had to wait 5 minutes for a match to load. I was the first player in the lobby. A year ago, you could find a round of GA, HvV, SA, or Blast immediately.
  • Bumping this post again.

So tired of not being able to play Hero Starfighter, Ewok Hunt, Hero Showdown because there aren't enough people. If the teams are balanced then I should be able to start playing the game.
  • Rebump
  • Yep so many game modes are completely dead now because of this issue!
  • But if they want to destroy all interest in this game so you move onto other EA purchases then why would they do that?
  • WhatAShame wrote: »
    But if they want to destroy all interest in this game so you move onto other EA purchases then why would they do that?

Counter-intuitive. Before releasing a newer product one first should gin up all interest possible in the existing one.
  • WhatAShame
    199 posts Member
    edited February 19
    ID_8615 wrote: »
    WhatAShame wrote: »
    But if they want to destroy all interest in this game so you move onto other EA purchases then why would they do that?

Counter-intuitive. Before releasing a newer product one first should gin up all interest possible in the existing one.

Lol, new markets, new "generations". New customers flowing in like clone troopers. Guess you fall for the PR?
  • ID_8615
    364 posts Member
    edited February 19
    You have a dizzying intellect---we're going to have to get you a MiniMe somewhere. As Boba's already been taken, we will call him "Bobb". Beta-tribe. Population: 1.
  • i would love to see ai bots added so we don't have wait but also a few that don't count towards the games goal so the games feel fuller. there are times when there are 3 routes to your goal and everyone is in the other 2 so there is opposition and it just feels a little off.
  • Last night a GA game started the counter with 7-aside. I believe the game started and had been~13 members each. We actually ended up with a decent match without the 20-per side full roster. Maybe we don't need AI bots .. except to even out the numbers?
  • yeah the game is completely unplayable in AUS servers, its just dead. need lobbies, atleast id be able top see what games people are playing
  • Bumping this post again.

So tired of not being able to play Hero Starfighter, Ewok Hunt, Hero Showdown because there aren't enough people. If the teams are balanced then I should be able to start playing the game.

These are the three modes you can hardly ever find a match on US servers either. It was a pain to get some challenges completed because of it. I don't even play any of these modes unless there is a challenge, but even then, I rarely bother, especially the Ewok challenges, some of them would take all day to complete.