criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

So Starfighter Assault just doesn't get balance changes?

Now I don't play this mode, I just wanted to get my fighters and Iden's TIE fighter to max level with the XP event so please do excuse my ignorance.

Getting laser barraged from across the map while I'm still in my spawn area isn't necessarily my definition of balance.

The Ion Cannon on the Y-Wings also seems a bit godly.

There also appears to be a contest between the TIE Interceptors and all the Millenium Falcon to see who can be the most worthless.

And Endor doesn't seem too balanced considering that as the Rebels I was getting steamrolled but still won on the final objective and later on I was steamrolling as the Imperials but still ended up losing on the final objective.

Now again I don't really play this mode however I do remember these being complaints about the mode since launch and I don't have much memory of seeing anything about SFA in patch notes.

Now I understand that Criterion is gone and all but can't DICE at the very least make balance changes to this mode?

Also, I'm not entirely sure but the 3x event might not be working for the Hero Starfighter mode.

You know that mode where it seems like it is more effective for someone to pick Tallie and the other 3 hero ships just kill themselves and be Y-Wings with Ion cannons...
Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
p0glkjvppdfa.png
PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.

Replies

• Phyrebrat
    822 posts Member
    edited January 18
    I hate to say it but your perspective is pretty much how I feel when I play as a troop. I just don’t get how people can be good at it.

However as a sfa Mainer those things you’re talking about are not things that catch me out anymore so I’m guessing it’s just a case of play, play, play again until movement memory takes over.

Yeah people spam the Y-wing ion (and those who do feel my wrath :wink: ) but you can deal with them by flying hard up or down (brake for sharper turn which I’m sure you already know) as their turret cannot track you there. (above or below them, I mean)

Don’t expect the balance to be represented this weekend. It’s not. Nobody is playing the objectives this weekend and matches are a joke. (I’ve started a thread about it in the hopes of educating new players that they can earn BPs quick enough for the hero or villain craft if they play the objective).

Tie in gets a lot of bad press but that’s down to accuracy and laser star cards. The Milfalc is a grind. I find Lando’s the best, then Han and lastly Rey’s because hers is a slug. If you upgrade lando’s Turn rate (I’m pretty sure he has a turn rate card, but it’s been so long I can’t recall off the top of my head) you’ll be able to evade people easily.

Endor, D’Qar and Uncharted Regions are great for the Falcons because of the debris you can use to break LOS.

Iden’s TIE slays. Good choice.

pH
  • If I remember correctly the starfighter modes were developed by a contracted company rather than DICE proper... if so it would make sense that there hasn't been much further development as the contracted company likely exited the project after completion.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the starfighter modes were developed by a contracted company rather than DICE proper... if so it would make sense that there hasn't been much further development as the contracted company likely exited the project after completion.

You are correct about that. However, Criterion only designed the gameplay, so there is no reason why new maps shouldn’t be added to SA.
  • Spawn killing is so easy in this mode.

You can see where everyone is spawning in.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• @Empire_TW
    Unfortunately, spawn camping has become a problem in SA and the unnecessary spawn timer is also problem.
    Other than objectives, Y-wings should always be a priority target. While still a challenge they can be countered as @Phyrebrat commented.
    The TIE interceptor requires some accuracy. It does pack a punch when on target with the right cards.
    The Falcons are great at 1- hitting objectives hard, 2- attracting enemies. A good team will pick off pursuers of the Falcon as it is a great way to get kills.
    Like any objective based mode, it depends on the team but I've found the mode to be one of the better balanced modes with most games going to the final phase.
    The addition of HS, Hero Star fighters, came about because players were having difficulty achieving the hero ship milestones. While I did appreciate the addition of HS, unfortunately HS does not follow the same format as HvV where you can constantly respawn as a hero after death. What happens in HS now is that some players intentionally suicide to respawn as a standard star fighter in order to achieve one milestone. The usual culprit is the Y-wing. I've suggested that DICE tweak HS to follow the same format as HvV where players respawn as a hero ship. No response and none expected.
    As far as I know DICE did add the N1 as an available ship in HS, but no where else, and have made some small adjustments to SA. Having SA available in Arcade is also good but I find it to be buggy at times. I will give EA credit for bringing in Criterion to work on SA as it is a superior mode over SWBF 15 FS. While FS was fun and had some great maps, DS, Scarif, Sullust, SA is better. SA is a good sized objective based mode for those of us who like to fly star fighters. The improved flight mechanics bring greater freedom to the flying and also require some skill instead of just hitting an evade button. The addition of the much requested Y-wings and TIE Bombers, new hero ships plus the multi era star fighters across some beautiful maps is all great work. Maybe B-wings, TIE Defenders, more hero ships like Obi Wan's Delta 7 and star fighter skins in SWBF III.
    If something is good naturally most people want more of it. Myself and others would like more SA content even if it is campaign maps or ported SWBF FS maps like the DS map but regrettably, that is not in the plans going forward. Emote wheels are.
    The communication regarding SA has not been great, actually it has been horrible. Many in the SA community would have at least appreciated the answer that there was no intention to add any content, maps, star fighters or hero ships to SA months ago instead of the radio silence. Even though it was not what many wanted to hear, at least we have our answer.

As far as the broken triple xp event, surprised? I think not.

Happy hunting.
    #StarWars-y
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    I hate to say it but your perspective is pretty much how I feel when I play as a troop. I just don’t get how people can be good at it.

However as a sfa Mainer those things you’re talking about are not things that catch me out anymore so I’m guessing it’s just a case of play, play, play again until movement memory takes over.

Yeah people spam the Y-wing ion (and those who do feel my wrath :wink: ) but you can deal with them by flying hard up or down (brake for sharper turn which I’m sure you already know) as their turret cannot track you there. (above or below them, I mean)

Don’t expect the balance to be represented this weekend. It’s not. Nobody is playing the objectives this weekend and matches are a joke. (I’ve started a thread about it in the hopes of educating new players that they can earn BPs quick enough for the hero or villain craft if they play the objective).

Tie in gets a lot of bad press but that’s down to accuracy and laser star cards. The Milfalc is a grind. I find Lando’s the best, then Han and lastly Rey’s because hers is a slug. If you upgrade lando’s Turn rate (I’m pretty sure he has a turn rate card, but it’s been so long I can’t recall off the top of my head) you’ll be able to evade people easily.

Endor, D’Qar and Uncharted Regions are great for the Falcons because of the debris you can use to break LOS.

pH

Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with my bad luck. Really not much of a pilot, getting damage and not being able to shake the source, my missiles seem worthless while I have to do a sky dance to shake other peoples are just things that I'm finding infuriating but are mostly due to my lack of experience.

I'm sure she slays, though I don't necessarily slay with her (I'm sure it is obvious why I'm picking her). Getting shot in my spawn and the Y Wing ion spam is really what is preventing me from really doing anything.
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the starfighter modes were developed by a contracted company rather than DICE proper... if so it would make sense that there hasn't been much further development as the contracted company likely exited the project after completion.

It just seems that DICE should be able to at least edit the mode and make balancing changing given that it is still there engine and they have done stuff with the SFA content/assets.

p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »

pH

Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with my bad luck. Really not much of a pilot, getting damage and not being able to shake the source, my missiles seem worthless while I have to do a sky dance to shake other peoples are just things that I'm finding infuriating but are mostly due to my lack of experience.

I'm sure she slays, though I don't necessarily slay with her (I'm sure it is obvious why I'm picking her). Getting shot in my spawn and the Y Wing ion spam is really what is preventing me from really doing anything.

It just seems that DICE should be able to at least edit the mode and make balancing changing given that it is still there engine and they have done stuff with the SFA content/assets.

You are preaching to the converted... but DICE apparently cannot figure out how to implement separate balancing for GA and HvV despite them allegedly already doing it once lol.
  • Zyder
    312 posts Member
    This gamemode needs huge improvements:
    - Big ships (Millenium Falcons and Boba Fett) are too easy to destroy. Yeah, Slave I can drop that bomb and sweep out all the enemies behind, but then what? I have been many times behind a Falcon and Slave I. Many people do this just to annoy.
    - 6 seconds of spawn time. Add this the time you get into the battle. It is so much.
    - Ion Turret from Bombers are OP. So OP that now I'm leveling up the Bombers.
    - Interceptors, despite of their huge firing rate, make very little damage. I can throw an entire laser burst into a starfighter and cannot destroy it. Purple cards.
    - Some ships have that "Focus" ability, which is the most useless ever. If some people lose an objective I'm pretty sure they focus in another if it is on sight.
    - Remove the "Player-in-Killstreak" and "Revenge" marks. Nobody wants to be a mobile target for all the enemies.
    - IAs shouldn't count as kills for the enemy team (in the reinforcements marker). They are pretty easy to take down.
    - The IA reinforcements (attackers) should have more HP than the regular starfighters. Because they are IAs they are easy to take down.

Maybe I start my own post about this. Maybe I add other ideas. But the main fact is that SA should be improved.
  • I'd also like to point out that when dice tried balancing, they ruined the falcons and maul
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Empire_TW wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »

pH

If the Y’s are really bothering you, you can spawn in as a TIE bomber and if you get hit by the Ion spam use the counter measure scrambler. It’s not ideal but it means they can’t auto track you, and the player themselves won’t be able to get a laser or trip hit till it times out.

I feel your pain. I really do. I have the same prob in hvv or ga
  • Relmets
    1419 posts Member
    Spawn delay in SA is absolutely atrocious
    You've gotta fly from spawn back to the furball, that's enough of a delay right there
    CheeryJubilantAnaconda-poster.jpg

Add weapons or bad things are going to happen
    Dbeh6cI.gif
  • Devlin21 wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out that when dice tried balancing, they ruined the falcons and maul

This.
    I'd rather they not tweak anything further in SA. It's fine as is, and was better before they tweaked things for Hero Starfighter.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Mode is turbo cancer terminal stage.

1) Spawn timer is ridiculous when the spawns are so far from any action

2) Because the spawns are far spawn camping is literally the meta. If you want topscore ignore the objective and farm

3) Skilless mechanics aimed at lowest common denominator potato players like revenge tag, hilariously stupid long range and generous angle auto aim, and the Y-Wing Ion turret (this is seriously the most laughable handholding vehicle I think I've ever seen in any game, who designed this?). I don't think I've ever seen a gamemode so lacking in any sort of skill gap to differentiate good from bad players (apart from learning and subsequently cheesing spawns which all the top players do)

4) Faction/map imbalances leading to forgone conclusion results (clone ships>droid ships, A-Wing>>>>trash FO TIES)

Speaking as someone who loves piloting in War Thunder and Battlefield (games that require skill) and is quite good at it.

I can play the mode fine and do well, but it's not at all fun once the visual wow factor wears off 5 minutes in.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • Mode is turbo cancer terminal stage.

1) Spawn timer is ridiculous when the spawns are so far from any action

2) Because the spawns are far spawn camping is literally the meta. If you want topscore ignore the objective and farm

3) Skilless mechanics aimed at lowest common denominator potato players like revenge tag, hilariously stupid long range and generous angle auto aim, and the Y-Wing Ion turret (this is seriously the most laughable handholding vehicle I think I've ever seen in any game, who designed this?). I don't think I've ever seen a gamemode so lacking in any sort of skill gap to differentiate good from bad players (apart from learning and subsequently cheesing spawns which all the top players do)

4) Faction/map imbalances leading to forgone conclusion results (clone ships>droid ships, A-Wing>>>>trash FO TIES)

Speaking as someone who loves piloting in War Thunder and Battlefield (games that require skill) and is quite good at it.

I can play the mode fine and do well, but it's not at all fun once the visual wow factor wears off 5 minutes in.

Well, it's nice of to suffer with me while I do this.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png