criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Wishful thinking KOTOR 3

I wish EA would let Bioware make a new Knights of the Old Republic game. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 ,to this day, are a couple of my favorite Star Wars games. I just think this whole monopolization of Star Wars games is killing the industry. But that's what monopolies do to the free market, but I digress. I wish we could get more Star Wars games at the rate we use to get them in the golden age of console gaming. There needs to be an awakening.

Replies

• Do any of you all still play KOTOR or KOTOR 2? Do you have a favorite between the two? Do typically play dark side or light side? Would you play a KOTOR 3?
  • KOTOR was so great, easily one (if not the) best Star wars game ever made. Did so many play thoughs on the old (and I mean old big black brick of a ) Xbox.
    KOTOR 2 was great also, but fell a little short of the first (I heard they ran out of money and had to finish it early?).

Would love to see a third (not the MMO game). Doubt it though.

Would also love to see a Jade Empire 2! (Another great old Bioware game that I played to death).
  • Love Jade Empire as well, I actually have a current play through on the backwards compatible version.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited January 22
    GrayOne wrote: »
    I wish EA would let Bioware make a new Knights of the Old Republic game. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 ,to this day, are a couple of my favorite Star Wars games. I just think this whole monopolization of Star Wars games is killing the industry. But that's what monopolies do to the free market, but I digress. I wish we could get more Star Wars games at the rate we use to get them in the golden age of console gaming. There needs to be an awakening.

How would Bioware making another KOTOR change the monopilization of Star Wars games... Bioware is owned by EA lol.

Secondly, Bioware is on record as having willingly chosen not to develop a 3rd KOTOR game as it was a poor business decision to keep working on titles using expensive licensed IP rather than developing their own proprietary IP instead... this is why we have Mass Effect... this was the game that should have been KOTOR 3, but Bioware declined to continue using the Star Wars IP.

Thirdly, we will never get the number of games we used to get... as games get more and more complex and expensive to produce, there will be less of them... if we go back to the Atari days for example, a single guy could program and create an entire game by himself... now days games have teams of hundreds working on them... the rate of new titles will continue to decrease as the cost and risk associated with each project increases.

As far as what Bioware should work on... if it was up to me we would see a revival of Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate.
  • GrayOne
    278 posts Member
    edited January 23
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

How would Bioware making another KOTOR change the monopilization of Star Wars games... Bioware is owned by EA lol.

Secondly, Bioware is on record as having willingly chosen not to develop a 3rd KOTOR game as it was a poor business decision to keep working on titles using expensive licensed IP rather than developing their own proprietary IP instead... this is why we have Mass Effect... this was the game that should have been KOTOR 3, but Bioware declined to continue using the Star Wars IP.

Thirdly, we will never get the number of games we used to get... as games get more and more complex and expensive to produce, there will be less of them... if we go back to the Atari days for example, a single guy could program and create an entire game by himself... now days games have teams of hundreds working on them... the rate of new titles will continue to decrease as the cost and risk associated with each project increases.

As far as what Bioware should work on... if it was up to me we would see a revival of Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate.

Oh snap, I totally forgot about Baldur's Gate, has it really been that long. And the monopoly remark was separate from the KOTOR comment, hense the use of the word digress following the change from my original point. However, I was unaware that EA bought Bioware. Having brought that fact to light, and since EA has exclusive rights to SW games doesn't that nullify the expensive IP excuse. Further more it has been suggested that Bioware has recently asked EA for permission to start the developmental process for KOTOR 3 and has been denined. Which is what spawned this whole discussion, why are you trying to ruin my dreams.

Edited for swearing. Let's please watch the language~ - EA_Cian[/quote]
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited January 23

Oh snap, I totally forgot about Baldur's Gate, has it really been that long. And the monopoly remark was separate from the KOTOR comment, hense the use of the word digress following the change from my original point. However, I was unaware that EA bought Bioware. Having brought that fact to light, and since EA has exclusive rights to SW games doesn't that nullify the expensive IP excuse. Further more it has been suggested that Bioware has recently asked EA for permission to start the developmental process for KOTOR 3 and has been denined. Which is what spawned this whole discussion, why are you trying to ruin my dreams.

Edited for swearing. Let's please watch the language~ - EA_Cian

Hey I would like KOTOR 3 as much as you... but considering Bioware previously turned down the opportunity to do so, I would be shocked if they went back to it.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »

Edited for swearing. Let's please watch the language~ - EA_Cian

Hey I would like KOTOR 3 as much as you... but considering Bioware previously turned down the opportunity to do so, I would be shocked if they went back to it.

For sure, I agree. I just can't being hopeful like Luke when he was on Tatooine