criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

? for devs new saber combat

Will you all be releasing a video/trailer type thing when you fix the saber combat? Showing how cool and different it will be.
jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

Replies

• This would be amazing ^^
  • I really don't what this thread to go by the wayside before a dev has a chance to respond. Does anyone feel the same? Cause I am very pumped for the idea of spam sabers being changed.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    I really don't what this thread to go by the wayside before a dev has a chance to respond. Does anyone feel the same? Cause I am very pumped for the idea of spam sabers being changed.

Honestly i dont know they might do a vide for Anakin like they did for Dooku and maybe showcase the lightsaber combat in there.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• 0ongwck7l3n1.gif
    sjc8bwfr0n9u.gif
    No more spamsabers
  • they already have multiple block animations for blaster bolt deflection with the sabers, so I don't see why they couldn't expand upon that and have something similar for lightsabers blocking other sabers.

• they already have multiple block animations for blaster bolt deflection with the sabers, so I don't see why they couldn't expand upon that and have something similar for lightsabers blocking other sabers.

Okay, but do you realize how buggy that would be? This game alright wacks out with its current block animations. I agree that it would be cool to have something like that but I fear how incredibly buggy detailed lightsaber fighting really would be.
  • I don't see why saber combat can't be more like Obi Wan or Jedi Academy or some hybrid of the combat styles.
  • ...+1
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited January 27
    GrayOne wrote: »
    Will you all be releasing a video/trailer type thing when you fix the saber combat? Showing how cool and different it will be.
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

Man... the stage fighting in that .gif is terrible... almost 0 intent present in any of those strikes... just a bunch of fan strikes aimed above the head or in front of the feat with the apparent goal of making contact with the other saber.
  • CobraKaiSenpai
    150 posts Member
    edited January 27
    they already have multiple block animations for blaster bolt deflection with the sabers, so I don't see why they couldn't expand upon that and have something similar for lightsabers blocking other sabers.

Okay, but do you realize how buggy that would be? This game alright wacks out with its current block animations. I agree that it would be cool to have something like that but I fear how incredibly buggy detailed lightsaber fighting really would be.

I don't mean anything as elaborate as the movies. I just mean low key frame, snappy block animations. Each lightsaber hero uses basically their own string of attacks that are repeated over and over. You would just need a corresponding string of a few blocks; one for high, one for low, and maybe one or two others.

And if that just falls apart, they just kill switch it. I don't think they need to get conservative at this point, so late in the life cycle of this game.

By the way, what usually breaks with block is not the animation.

If you find that block is not responding to your input, swing the lightsaber continuously until you run out of stamina. Then stop, let it build, and you should be able to block again. It's an annoying bug that you can reset by draining stamina. And yes, I know you can't do that when you're the target and in danger. But at least it will save you a respawn.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

Man... the stage fighting in that .gif is terrible... almost 0 intent present in any of those strikes... just a bunch of fan strikes aimed above the head or in front of the feat with the apparent goal of making contact with the other saber.

Anakin was totally attacking here and Dooku defending. If I follow his blade through I can totally see him slicing his head off or legs off.
  • Jumbofish wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

Anakin was totally attacking here and Dooku defending. If I follow his blade through I can totally see him slicing his head off or legs off.

One of my mates got a few LARPing swords for a dress-up party and for the hell of it we decided to start having sword fights for fun and fitness.

We learned quickly that it’s actually extremely difficult to land a swing on someone without trading blows. Obviously none of us have any experience or training, but dodging and blocking strikes was FAR easier than actually making contact.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited January 27
    Jumbofish wrote: »
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

The form is terrible. They are telegraphing strikes with little real intent while violating centerline and engaging well inside the optimal measure for weapons of that length while also not utilizing single tempo movements to gain an advantage... Makes me want to vomit just watching it.
    moondynemc wrote: »
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

One of my mates got a few LARPing swords for a dress-up party and for the hell of it we decided to start having sword fights for fun and fitness.

We learned quickly that it’s actually extremely difficult to land a swing on someone without trading blows. Obviously none of us have any experience or training, but dodging and blocking strikes was FAR easier than actually making contact.

I've been training in historical sword/dagger usage for 9 years now, and instructing for the last 3. With a weapon like a lightsaber and what we know about it (no crossguard, no need for power to cut due to energy beam, extreme hilt balance point), their fighting form should be similar to epee or even foil, controlling center with subtle changes in point of contact to score killing blows while still controlling centerline and avoiding binding... these giant fan strikes and such are garbage.

Basically the reason to use large movements with a sword is if either you need to generate more velocity to do damage, or if the weapon is so heavy that it takes longer to recover from strikes... in the case of lightsabers they can do fatal damage with just a touch, and they appear to be near feather weight in the blade... there is 0 practical reason to swing them beyond the inside or outside line at all, as doing so exposes you and provides no advantage in damage potential.
    Post edited by t3hBar0n on
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

Holy bajesus cry guy, how about something useful to add, how about a gif with that saber strikes with intent. The only reason I put that one is we just got Dooku's and Anakin is on the way. "It's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids"

ojcm07kw7mwq.gif
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

The form is terrible. They are telegraphing strikes with little real intent while violating centerline and engaging well inside the optimal measure for weapons of that length while also not utilizing single tempo movements to gain an advantage... Makes me want to vomit just watching it.
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

I've been training in historical sword/dagger usage for 9 years now, and instructing for the last 3. With a weapon like a lightsaber and what we know about it (no crossguard, no need for power to cut due to energy beam, extreme hilt balance point), their fighting form should be similar to epee or even foil, controlling center with subtle changes in point of contact to score killing blows while still controlling centerline and avoiding binding... these giant fan strikes and such are garbage.

Basically the reason to use large movements with a sword is if either you need to generate more velocity to do damage, or if the weapon is so heavy that it takes longer to recover from strikes... in the case of lightsabers they can do fatal damage with just a touch, and they appear to be near feather weight in the blade... there is 0 practical reason to swing them beyond the inside or outside line at all, as doing so exposes you and provides no advantage in damage potential.

Movies! Hollywood! Entertainment! Not Real!

tiasl4lgcslk.gif

Now imagine with lightsabers...and you want to make a movie with this being a major cinematic momment.... lame!!! You need to learn how to blur the line between fantasy and reality broski.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

tiasl4lgcslk.gif

Now imagine with lightsabers...and you want to make a movie with this being a major cinematic momment.... lame!!! You need to learn how to blur the line between fantasy and reality broski.

There are movies which incorporate realistic fight sequences, and they are better. There are plenty of historical forms of fencing for many weapons which can be choreographed into awesome fight scenes... unfortunately Hollywood has yet to catch up with most of its fight choreography to the way acting is done... Marlon Brando for instance pioneered the natural, less campy delivery of dialogue, and that has become the defacto way all actors act now... unfortunately fight choreography is still mostly stuck in the stage fighting era.
  • GrayOne
    366 posts Member
    edited January 27
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

tiasl4lgcslk.gif

There are movies which incorporate realistic fight sequences, and they are better. There are plenty of historical forms of fencing for many weapons which can be choreographed into awesome fight scenes... unfortunately Hollywood has yet to catch up with most of its fight choreography to the way acting is done... Marlon Brando for instance pioneered the natural, less campy delivery of dialogue, and that has become the defacto way all actors act now... unfortunately fight choreography is still mostly stuck in the stage fighting era.

Name a movie and fight sequence that supports your claims with the respect to lighsabers. Meaning, like previously stated, lightsabers do not require much force to be deadly. They are deadly by simply touching the blade. Katanas and other bladed weapons require force and pressure accros the blade to be deadly, a rapier is a thrusting weapon with no real defense against heavier weapon(other than your quicker). Any lightsaber duelist knows, there are two main tactics, be quick enough to land a blow before it can be blocked, or using strength to move you opponents saber out of the way and follow with a subsequent attack. Clearly in the gif you have a problem with, Anakin knows Dooku is quick enough to defend against light attacks. Anakin defense has improved so much by this time(doubled) he know he is quick enough to counter Dooku's attacks. All that's left is to crush the old man with heavy blows that are, as you say telegraphed. What you melee weapon enthusiasts forget about is...the FORCE...this duel is taking place mentally through the force as much as you see it on the screen. The combatants won't revert to the more "practical form" because it will only result in a draw. It is a play your trump card momment, and unfortunately for Dooku, he has no trump card, he's just a great duelist. Anakin is too powerful and quick so doesn't matter even if he telegraphed his strikes, similar to how Luke starts smashing Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi.
    jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

jkqk2wus1m1a.gif

tiasl4lgcslk.gif

Another thing aren't taking into account is, you don't want this to look like a sword fight! This is a weapon from a time and glaxay out of our own(again not real) these weapons are meant to look, feel, and be used uniquely. You would never see a lot of lightsaber forms in traditional melee weapon combat, because they do not behave in the least bit like any traditional swords in History. Try this.... practice against a glowing white hot piece of steal that is thrown at you in the manor in which is depicted in the movies and see if you can come up with a functional and entertaining lightsaber form to defend against it.....I would pay money to see that.
  • This thread has gotten completely off topic, lol. Just to bring things back on course...Hey devs, are you going to put out a video that showcases the change to lightsaber combat?
    wjcn26k5b29f.gif
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited January 27

Name a movie and fight sequence that supports your claims with the respect to lighsabers. Meaning, like previously stated, lightsabers do not require much force to be deadly. They are deadly by simply touching the blade. Katanas and other bladed weapons require force and pressure accros the blade to be deadly, a rapier is a thrusting weapon with no real defense against heavier weapon(other than your quicker). Any lightsaber duelist knows, there are two main tactics, be quick enough to land a blow before it can be blocked, or using strength to move you opponents saber out of the way and follow with a subsequent attack. Clearly in the gif you have a problem with, Anakin knows Dooku is quick enough to defend against light attacks. Anakin defense has improved so much by this time(doubled) he know he is quick enough to counter Dooku's attacks. All that's left is to crush the old man with heavy blows that are, as you say telegraphed. What you melee weapon enthusiasts forget about is...the FORCE...this duel is taking place mentally through the force as much as you see it on the screen. The combatants won't revert to the more "practical form" because it will only result in a draw. It is a play your trump card momment, and unfortunately for Dooku, he has no trump card, he's just a great duelist.

That is easy... the previous time Dooku fought Obiwan and Anakin... he does a subtle wrist cut which touches Obiwan on the arm with the saber and causes debilitating injury followed quickly by another wrist cut to the quad with another severe injury.

Secondly, your assertion about a rapier could not be more wrong. Rapiers while being designed to optimize thrusts are still effective cutting weapons... on top of that Rapiers are not at all "light" in weight... historically rapiers weighed between 2.5 to 3.5 lbs... which is the same weight range as that of longswords and would make them as heavy if not heavier than your average katana (which usually weighed around 2.5-3lbs)... rapiers are heavy robust weapons which can effectively fight and bind weapons such as longswords and katana, and they can even be used against greatswords and pole weapons due to their extreme reach.

• GrayOne
    366 posts Member
    edited January 27

Name a movie and fight sequence that supports your claims with the respect to lighsabers. Meaning, like previously stated, lightsabers do not require much force to be deadly. They are deadly by simply touching the blade. Katanas and other bladed weapons require force and pressure accros the blade to be deadly, a rapier is a thrusting weapon with no real defense against heavier weapon(other than your quicker). Any lightsaber duelist knows, there are two main tactics, be quick enough to land a blow before it can be blocked, or using strength to move you opponents saber out of the way and follow with a subsequent attack. Clearly in the gif you have a problem with, Anakin knows Dooku is quick enough to defend against light attacks. Anakin defense has improved so much by this time(doubled) he know he is quick enough to counter Dooku's attacks. All that's left is to crush the old man with heavy blows that are, as you say telegraphed. What you melee weapon enthusiasts forget about is...the FORCE...this duel is taking place mentally through the force as much as you see it on the screen. The combatants won't revert to the more "practical form" because it will only result in a draw. It is a play your trump card momment, and unfortunately for Dooku, he has no trump card, he's just a great duelist.

That is easy... the previous time Dooku fought Obiwan and Anakin... he does a subtle wrist cut which touches Obiwan on the arm with the saber and causes debilitating injury followed quickly by another wrist cut to the quad with another severe injury.

Secondly, your assertion about a rapier could not be more wrong. Rapiers while being designed to optimize thrusts are still effective cutting weapons... on top of that Rapiers are not at all "light" in weight... historically rapiers weighed between 2.5 to 3.5 lbs... which is the same weight range as that of longswords and would make them as heavy if not heavier than your average katana (which usually weighed around 2.5-3lbs)... rapiers are heavy robust weapons which can effectively fight and bind weapons such as longswords and katana, and they can even be used against greatswords and pole weapons due to their extreme reach.

Exactly, the last time they dueled, Anakin learned and expanded on his knowledge. Which is what I explained in further detail, why the second duel looked the way it did. In the beginning you do see Anakin and Dooku probing and gauging each other. Once the mind battle was won by Anakin it was only a matter of time. Anyways I can't not speak, and do not care to, further about swords, lightsabers are not swords, they do not has the same physical properties as swords and therefore cannot be examined in the same way. But still do try my previous suggestion with the white hot steal, and make your own lightsaber form and combat scene. Post that on YouTube and I'd watch.
    p46fw8wy2p7e.gif
  • @t3hBar0n

I just want to show off.

Im spanish. Modern fencing and rapiers were developed in Spain, as you know. So we, spanish people, are the closest thing to a Jedi Knight you will never ever see. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destreza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing

Spanish tradition on fencing with la espada ropera (rapier sword). As a curiosity the term 'rapier' derives from 'ropera' and 'ropera' means 'to be used with the dayly outfit' because that sword was intended to be used in the battlefield or as a complement of your clothes as we today use the tie or a purse (but with a deadliest purpose ;) ). In those days every 'caballero' wore a sword on his side and it was frecuent that disputes were resolved in a dark alley with a duel on espada ropera. Those who didnt want to get his hands dirty in blood used to hire professional duelist swordsmen to duel for them.

Accurate ropera fencing

Filmic recreation (less accurate but more visual entertaining), duel is supposed to happen between an ex soldier veteran from the Tercios and a 'bad guy' in an alley in Madrid.

• Liz4rD wrote: »
    @t3hBar0n

I just want to show off.

Im spanish. Modern fencing and rapiers were developed in Spain, as you know. So we, spanish people, are the closest thing to a Jedi Knight you will never ever see. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destreza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing

Spanish tradition on fencing with la espada ropera (rapier sword). As a curiosity the term 'rapier' derives from 'ropera' and 'ropera' means 'to be used with the dayly outfit' because that sword was intended to be used in the battlefield or as a complement of your clothes as we today use the tie or a purse (but with a deadliest purpose ;) ). In those days every 'caballero' wore a sword on his side and it was frecuent that disputes were resolved in a dark alley with a duel on espada ropera. Those who didnt want to get his hands dirty in blood used to hire professional duelist swordsmen to duel for them.

Accurate ropera fencing

Filmic recreation (less accurate but more visual entertaining), duel is supposed to happen between an ex soldier veteran from the Tercios and a 'bad guy' in an alley in Madrid.

Awesome! I am a big fan of Destreza, and it heavily influenced Thibault who had my favorite interpretation of rapier. I also favor the Spanish style due to less linear footwork and less reliance on the lunge, unlike the Italian or French schools.
  • idqfjla344ry.gif
    d55vmtkn3xfw.gif
    ue6b42a6lene.gif
    I guess this would be better than the current spam fest we have.
  • lmgfea3jt2c7.gif
    Vader in saber stun lock