criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Geonosis is a fantastic excamlpe of why Dice shout NOT listen to the CW crowd.

CeymalRen
652 posts Member
edited February 4
Ok I'll admit. The title is a bit clickbait... OR IS IT?!

Tried the map out today. My master dislikes it.

tenor.gif

OK. I know people have a lot of nostalgia for the old BF games and the CW series. I know why you would want a more open map, much closer to what the old games had. I can understand that, but this BF game is not made to work on maps like this. Or maybe I should say, GA was not made to work on maps like this. It's just so terrible to play as soldiers on this map. Tanks kill you, snipers kill you, heroes kill you, anything with any range kills you.

I assumed the map would gain intensity as it goes along... wrongly.

e6abe40385ad5bcc703ca3000cbbb001.gif

The best part of the map is the beginning phase. Once the tanks start rolling it becomes very unbalanced and irritating. All the teammates hide in tanks or snipe from the far end of the map. What does the poor heavy/officer/assault do? He should get his [email protected]@ in shape is what he should do because there will be a lot of running. Just remember, no matter how fast you run. A hero will always be faster.

I can't blame DICE for it tho. I'm not hating on them. Really I'm not. You can see they put a lot of effort into this. They did exactly what the crowd asked for. More open map without a chaotic, closed corridor ending. I hope that's the last time they try that in GA.

Is anyone with me or am I making no sense at all?

EDIT: Take note. This could all change with the new game mode. I don't know. I'm talking about it as it is now.

Replies

• willywonka7
    1031 posts Member
    edited February 5
    Disagree completely with everything you said!

.....Geonosis was designed more towards the large scale game mode that is going to be coming out in February/March. That is why it is the way it is right now. When we finally get details and gameplay on how the new large scale game mode works and plays then we can better judge geonosis and future maps they come out with. All of the other maps aren't designed for the large scale game mode....so far only Geonosis is. It was done this way because Dice didn't consider that they would be doing this new large scale game mode when the game first launched. They designed all the other maps to be this linear kill box style maps to progress a story and make you feel like you were actually apart of these epic battles that took place in a particular fashion in the movies....rather than let you run around letting the battle play out how you want it to, which is going to be how the large scale game mode should function. Then they took that Geonosis map and cut it up for GA. They could have easily put more trenches and things for people to "hide" from the tanks and snipers. They could have also added more

In addition Geonosis was just a large all out open battle.......that's just how it worked. If anything they should have just reduced the distance that snipers can hit targets, so you can't sit in the back of the map at the spawn and shoot enemies or the AT-TEs. Then add more trenches and low lying areas for people to hide in from the snipers.....kind of like Crait does with the tunnels. GA on Geonosis does suck a lot at 2nd and third phase, but it is a beautiful map and I can't wait to play in AT-TEs on large scale game mode or with the new speeders in it either. I'm tired of being constrained to this small area with the vehicles in this game on GA and not being able to move around without hitting something.

In comparison ALL of the prequel maps are amazing, while pretty much ALL of the sequel maps from the new star wars movies suck......except Crait! Star Killer, Takodana, Jakku all suck dramatically they are the worst maps on Battlefront 2 for every game mode........period! They are the smallest maps, with the fewest objectives, that are either the easiest or hardest to complete.) You go from so much open unused space(1st phase Star killerbase landing platform to the most compact worst designed space ever (3rd phase takodana inside castle.....the cantina in the movie felt 5X larger than this one)! They should have made the castle bigger to handle the 40 people that are playing that map. They could have used a little creative discretion to make it work better for 40 people. Pretty much everything is bad with the sequel maps, characters, etc.....hero characters have sucked most of the game. Phasma has sucked most of the game because of staff strikes not working, kylo's frenzy has always had trouble and with star cards associated to them. Finn is probably the worst character in HvV. Kylo might be the worst villian in GA right now. Only the flame trooper is cool for actual unique characters and the first order storm trooper suits are nice. The only other reinforcement that the sequel era can show is the baton trooper from Force Awakens. The one that fights Finn in front of Maz's castle. Other than that what does the sequels have for us to see........NOTHING BECAUSE DISNEY RAN IT INTO THE GROUND THERES NOTHING LEFT TO SEE BECAUSE THOSE MOVIES HAVE GONE NOW WHERE AND DONE NOTHING COMPARED TO THE OTHER TRILOGIES. It's Disney's fault really in terms of sequel content. All Dice has left for that Era is Poe and Hux not even another map. I mean do you want to go to Canto Bit for a map and free "enslaved" animals and go shout mean spirited comments at the profiteering warlords living on Canto Bit and then get thrown in jail and break free and ride said "enslaved" animals to freedom......sounds like an awful Battlefront 2 map. How about a Starfighter map where your constantly required to run from the First Order in space and never attack them back and slowly let all of your friends die off while you try to secretly escape to Crait. Do you want to play this? So it looks like sequel content is NONE EXISTENT!

The original trilogy only has Bespin, Outer Rim, DeathStar I, and Rogue One content left to show. Maybe another unique Endor or Hoth Map. They designed all of this content back in Battlefront 1 and Dice said they weren't going to focus on remastering anymore of that old content right now to bring back to the game. I would be fine if they remastered the old content from Battlefront 1 for the OT era and gave that to use in between releasing new content for the Clone wars because really that's all Dice has left to work with Clone Wars content. Unless they decided to jump into some really unknown characters from OT trilogy.

I mean they could give us Nien Nunb & Greedo, Jyn Erso & Krennic, K2s0, & IG-88 and so many other characters from OT trilogy too. Mace Windu & Jango Fett, Commander Cody/Rex & Cad Bane, Ahsoka & Ventress, plus countless others from Clone Wars......again all we have left from sequel trilogy is Poe & Hux. They killed Tallie Lintra & Snoke, and Rose does nothing but complain or stun people and presently most people hate stuns in the game....so I don't think she would go over well.

Post edited by willywonka7 on
  • Sad_History
    15 posts Member
    edited February 4
    This is the nostalgia from the first Battlefield shining through. People then were bored with the small circular, no camping DM-maps that rewarded constant movement. They wanted more relaxing, more "forgiving" maps and longer lasting play. Big mistake. Open maps always sucks because snipers in games are so accurate. BF3 made it more difficult by adding gravity but it was still a pain to play on open maps.

Movie nostalgia also plays a part. But instead of fighting with hundreds of comrades you are 10-15 running around and hiding from snipers. Not exactly what happened on the movie screen....

Geonosis is rather fun in HvV but an absolute disgrace in GA. I understand why DICE made the map, but they shouldn't have bothered. They need to stop giving the customers what they think they want and instead give us what we need. We need small and fast action-packed DM-style game mode and maps back. Because these give us incentive to play instead of hiding.
  • Disagree completely with everything you said!

.....Geonosis was designed more towards the large scale game mode that is going to be coming out in February/March. That is why it is the way it is right now. When we finally get details and gameplay on how the new large scale game mode works and plays then we can better judge geonosis and future maps they come out with. All of the other maps aren't designed for the large scale game mode....so far only Geonosis is. It was done this way because Dice didn't consider that they would be doing this new large scale game mode when the game first launched. They designed all the other maps to be this linear kill box style maps to progress a story and make you feel like you were actually apart of these epic battles that took place in a particular fashion in the movies....rather than let you run around letting the battle play out how you want it to, which is going to be how the large scale game mode should function. Then they took that Geonosis map and cut it up for GA. They could have easily put more trenches and things for people to "hide" from the tanks and snipers. They could have also added more

In addition Geonosis was just a large all out open battle.......that's just how it worked. If anything they should have just reduced the distance that snipers can hit targets, so you can't sit in the back of the map at the spawn and shoot enemies or the AT-TEs. Then add more trenches and low lying areas for people to hide in from the snipers.....kind of like Crait does with the tunnels. GA on Geonosis does suck a lot at 2nd and third phase, but it is a beautiful map and I can't wait to play in AT-TEs on large scale game mode or with the new speeders in it either. I'm tired of being constrained to this small area with the vehicles in this game on GA and not being able to move around without hitting something.

In comparison ALL of the prequel maps are amazing, while pretty much ALL of the sequel maps from the new star wars movies suck......except Crait! Star Killer, Takodana, Jakku all suck dramatically they are the worst maps on Battlefront 2 for every game mode........period! They are the smallest maps, with the fewest objectives, that are either the easiest or hardest to complete.) You go from so much open unused space(1st phase Star killerbase landing platform to the most compact worst designed space ever (3rd phase takodana inside castle.....the cantina in the movie felt 5X larger than this one)! They should have made the castle bigger to handle the 40 people that are playing that map. They could have used a little creative discretion to make it work better for 40 people. Pretty much everything is bad with the sequel maps, characters, etc.....hero characters have sucked most of the game. Phasma has sucked most of the game because of staff strikes not working, kylo's frenzy has always had trouble and with star cards associated to them. Finn is probably the worst character in HvV. Kylo might be the worst villian in GA right now. Only the flame trooper is cool for actual unique characters and the first order storm trooper suits are nice. The only other reinforcement that sequel era can show is the baton trooper from Force awakens that fights Finn. Other than that what does the sequels have for use to see........NOTHING BECAUSE DISNEY RAN IT INTO THE GROUND THEIR'S NOTHING LEFT TO SEE BECAUSE THOSE MOVIES HAVE GONE NOW WHERE AND DONE NOTHING COMPARED TO THE OTHER TRILOGIES. It's Disney's fault really in terms of sequel content. All Dice has left for that Era is Poe and Hux not even another map. I mean do you want to go to Canto Bit for a map and free "enslaved" animals and go shout mean spirited comments at the profiteering warlords living on Canto Bit and then get thrown in jail and break free and ride said "enslaved" animals to freedom......sounds like an awful Battlefront 2 map. How about a Starfighter map where your constantly required to run from the First Order in space and never attack them back and slowly let all of your friends die off while you try to secretly escape to Crait. Do you want to play this? So it looks like sequel content is NONE EXISTENT!

The original trilogy only has Bespin, Outer Rim, DeathStar I, and Rogue One content left to show. Maybe another unique Endor or Hoth Map. They designed all of this content back in Battlefront 1 and Dice said they weren't going to focus on remastering anymore of that old content right now to bring back to the game. I would be fine if they remastered the old content from Battlefront 1 for the OT era and gave that to use in between releasing new content for the Clone wars because really that's all Dice has left to work with Clone Wars content. Unless they decided to jump into some really unknown characters from OT trilogy.

I mean they could give us Nien Nunb & Greedo, Jyn Erso & Krennic, K2s0, & IG-88 and so many other characters from OT trilogy too. Mace WIndu & Jango Fett, Commander Cody/Rex & Cad Bane, Ahsoka & Ventress, plus countless others from Clone Wars......again all we have left from sequel trilogy is Poe & Hux. They killed Tallie Lintra & Snoke, and Rose does nothing but complain or stun people and presently most people hate stuns in the game....so I don't think she would go over well.

Pretty much stoped reading when you said the prequels maps are the best ones LOL. First off that's a opinion. Second, I strongly disagree.
  • This is the nostalgia from the first Battlefield shining through. People then were bored with the small circular, no camping DM-maps that rewarded constant movement. They wanted more relaxing, more "forgiving" maps and longer lasting play. Big mistake. Open maps always sucks because snipers in games are so accurate. BF3 made it more difficult by adding gravity but it was still a pain to play on open maps.

Movie nostalgia also plays a part. But instead of fighting with hundreds of comrades you are 10-15 running around and hiding from snipers. Not exactly what happened on the movie screen....

Geonosis is rather fun in HvV but an absolute disgrace in GA. I understand why DICE made the map, but they shouldn't have bothered. They need to stop giving the customers what they think they want and instead give us what we need. We need small and fast action-packed DM-style game mode and maps back. Because these give us incentive to play instead of hiding.

"stop giving customers what they think they want"

Don't even go there, bud. Do not.

If we want snipers to not be such a difficult thing to deal with, then we need something to counter-act snipers instead of just discouraging this game from becoming as close to a true battlefront game as it can. Me personally, I think the best way to make sure snipers are not such a huge issue is to ensure that there are plenty of alternate routes that can get you to different parts of the map, as well as have plenty of cover from snipers. Most of the maps in this game are too linear and force you through choke points and bottlenecks instead of giving you numerous paths to take. Check and balance is the best way to go about it. Smaller and fast action-paced game modes do not give incentive to play instead of hiding, it just makes the game feel like COD with everyone running around like little rambos.

If we can simply scale the player count up and make the maps non-linear, we'd have an excellent future.

Take a look at Rising Storm 2: Vietnam. They are a perfect example of map balancing and fun, massive war zone game play. Look at the map for An Lao Valley on Supremacy, which is very much like the command-post gameplay of 2005's Battlefront and what we may see from the new massive-scale mode this month.

1496243068_1.jpg

As you can see, this is a non-linear map with numerous paths to take. One can move from one objective to a number of others through usage of many different paths and routes. In addition to good map design, the game also features Huey helicopters for the American side, which allows player-controlled pilots to transport troops who spawn into their dropship and transport troops to various landing zones in case the opposing faction pins down the normal spawn point too hard and cuts off forces to the map. This allows for seriously fun game play.

Now, imagine if both sides were able to have dropships to be flown (Republic gets an LAAT, Imperials get a Lambda-shuttle, Rebels get U-wings, Seperatists get HMP gunships, so on and so forth) which allows for players to take direct control of the ships and fly their allies to battle, further preventing the gameplay from being too linear. It's also a lot of fun!

In Geonosis, the DICE developers seemed to experiment with the idea of vehicles already spawned on the map for any player to hop in and use, which I hope they continue to utilize in the new game mode with vehicles (such as the dropships). Fingers crossed.
  • This is the nostalgia from the first Battlefield shining through. People then were bored with the small circular, no camping DM-maps that rewarded constant movement. They wanted more relaxing, more "forgiving" maps and longer lasting play. Big mistake. Open maps always sucks because snipers in games are so accurate. BF3 made it more difficult by adding gravity but it was still a pain to play on open maps.

If we want snipers to not be such a difficult thing to deal with, then we need something to counter-act snipers instead of just discouraging this game from becoming as close to a true battlefront game as it can. Me personally, I think the best way to make sure snipers are not such a huge issue is to ensure that there are plenty of alternate routes that can get you to different parts of the map, as well as have plenty of cover from snipers. Most of the maps in this game are too linear and force you through choke points and bottlenecks instead of giving you numerous paths to take. Check and balance is the best way to go about it. Smaller and fast action-paced game modes do not give incentive to play instead of hiding, it just makes the game feel like COD with everyone running around like little rambos.

If we can simply scale the player count up and make the maps non-linear, we'd have an excellent future.

Take a look at Rising Storm 2: Vietnam. They are a perfect example of map balancing and fun, massive war zone game play. Look at the map for An Lao Valley on Supremacy, which is very much like the command-post gameplay of 2005's Battlefront and what we may see from the new massive-scale mode this month.

1496243068_1.jpg

As you can see, this is a non-linear map with numerous paths to take. One can move from one objective to a number of others through usage of many different paths and routes. In addition to good map design, the game also features Huey helicopters for the American side, which allows player-controlled pilots to transport troops who spawn into their dropship and transport troops to various landing zones in case the opposing faction pins down the normal spawn point too hard and cuts off forces to the map. This allows for seriously fun game play.

Now, imagine if both sides were able to have dropships to be flown (Republic gets an LAAT, Imperials get a Lambda-shuttle, Rebels get U-wings, Seperatists get HMP gunships, so on and so forth) which allows for players to take direct control of the ships and fly their allies to battle, further preventing the gameplay from being too linear. It's also a lot of fun!

In Geonosis, the DICE developers seemed to experiment with the idea of vehicles already spawned on the map for any player to hop in and use, which I hope they continue to utilize in the new game mode with vehicles (such as the dropships). Fingers crossed.

Those are all fine points but it's a bit late to use them in GA on Geonosis.
  • CeymalRen wrote: »
    This is the nostalgia from the first Battlefield shining through. People then were bored with the small circular, no camping DM-maps that rewarded constant movement. They wanted more relaxing, more "forgiving" maps and longer lasting play. Big mistake. Open maps always sucks because snipers in games are so accurate. BF3 made it more difficult by adding gravity but it was still a pain to play on open maps.

1496243068_1.jpg

True, I was more referring to the new game mode. As for the original post, I don't think it's very fair to blame the CW crowd because of poor game play designs. We didn't make the map, and are not responsible for the flaws. I'm happy with Geonosis, while not perfect, it's certainly still enjoyable.

1496243068_1.jpg

True, I was more referring to the new game mode. As for the original post, I don't think it's very fair to blame the CW crowd because of poor game play designs. We didn't make the map, and are not responsible for the flaws. I'm happy with Geonosis, while not perfect, it's certainly still enjoyable.

That's fair. Like I said the title is a bit Clickbait-ish. And I hope this map turns out fantastic in the new mode.
  • bfloo
    13345 posts Member
    The map isn't the problem, 2 stages of taking down walkers is, especially with a new one dropping wherever you took out the last one.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• willywonka7
    1031 posts Member
    edited February 5
    CeymalRen wrote: »
    Pretty much stoped reading when you said the prequels maps are the best ones LOL. First off that's a opinion. Second, I strongly disagree.

Like I care............

Like I care............

So the point of your reply is...?
  • willywonka7
    1031 posts Member
    edited February 5

To tell you I don't care......just like the point of your reply.

Again, any map can be created to be nonlinear........but that was Dice's plan for every map to be linear. It has nothing to do with Clone Wars Era maps, or Original Trilogy Map, Or Sequel Map!
    Post edited by willywonka7 on

To tell you I don't care......just like the point of your first reply. I mean really is that hard for you to get???

XD Sure. No need to keep posting then?

Also if you don't care why tell me about it? I don't know where all the hostility is comming from.
  • EA_Rtas
    60 posts EA Moderator
    Alright folks, I've had to remove some posts because they were starting to get personal, lets reel it in here. Its fine to have a different opinion just be polite and constructive about it otherwise I'm going to have to lock the thread if its going to turn into a flamewar.

tenor.gif

OK. I know people have a lot of nostalgia for the old BF games and the CW series. I know why you would want a more open map, much closer to what the old games had. I can understand that, but this BF game is not made to work on maps like this. Or maybe I should say, GA was not made to work on maps like this. It's just so terrible to play as soldiers on this map. Tanks kill you, snipers kill you, heroes kill you, anything with any range kills you.

The best part of the map is the beginning phase. Once the tanks start rolling it becomes very unbalanced and irritating. All the teammates hide in tanks or snipe from the far end of the map. What does the poor heavy/officer/assault do? He should get his [email protected]@ in shape is what he should do because there will be a lot of running. Just remember, no matter how fast you run. A hero will always be faster.

I can't blame DICE for it tho. I'm not hating on them. Really I'm not. You can see they put a lot of effort into this. They did exactly what the crowd asked for. More open map without a chaotic, closed corridor ending. I hope that's the last time they try that in GA.

EDIT: Take note. This could all change with the new game mode. I don't know. I'm talking about it as it is now.

Damn you impatient Millenials brats noobs can't stand you all any longer, always whining about delayed content, you **** still haven't understood that you bought an
    AAA
    EARLY
    ACCESS
    GAME
    Released after 2 years of development with a team split on multiple projects??
    A game that would have taken at least 6 years to be full package upon launch date??
    No, you don't, that's why it takes veterans like me to ram the truth into your empty skulls so there is finally something in it!
    Stop harassing the dev team with your ****, let them do their work with the chains and boulders screwed to their wrists, ankles, and necks.
    The new game mode will release on The Clone Wars 10th anniversary, you mopheads!
    Your lack of faith disturbs me!
    You are clumsy as your stupid!
    Excuses accepted Captains Noobs.
    Disclaimer: This post is directly addressed to the "people" complaining all the freaking time about delayed content and rest as exposed above, and not at the wise, smart people that have understood the teaching about Patience of Master Yoda.
    Thank You.
  • Lionbite wrote: »

tenor.gif

Damn you impatient Millenials brats noobs can't stand you all any longer, always whining about delayed content, you **** still haven't understood that you bought an
    AAA
    EARLY
    ACCESS
    GAME
    Released after 2 years of development with a team split on multiple projects??
    A game that would have taken at least 6 years to be full package upon launch date??
    No, you don't, that's why it takes veterans like me to ram the truth into your empty skulls so there is finally something in it!
    Stop harassing the dev team with your ****, let them do their work with the chains and boulders screwed to their wrists, ankles, and necks.
    The new game mode will release on The Clone Wars 10th anniversary, you mopheads!
    Your lack of faith disturbs me!
    You are clumsy as your stupid!
    Excuses accepted Captains Noobs.
    Disclaimer: This post is directly addressed to the "people" complaining all the freaking time about delayed content and rest as exposed above, and not at the wise, smart people that have understood the teaching about Patience of Master Yoda.
    Thank You.

Nice. :D
  • bfloo wrote: »
    The map isn't the problem, 2 stages of taking down walkers is, especially with a new one dropping wherever you took out the last one.

I think they should have less health forcing the clones to move forward and distract the droids.
  • bfloo wrote: »

Totally agree.....the real problem with the Geonosis map is that AT-TEs shouldn't be spawning past the front line of battle in the enemy territory. Sometimes they spawn right on top or right near droid tanks and droid squads. They also spawn far into the enemies territory when no clone troopers are around and only droids are around, which doesn't make sense in combat. The game needs to do like a dynamic front line calculation to determine here is the current front line in the game mode based on where all the droids are presently, so the game can spawn the AT-TE like 2-4 AT-TE lengths or more behind this calculated front line.

When the game spawns AT-TEs into the map it pretty much forces the front line to keep pushing forward whether the droids are doing good or not because the AT-TEs keep spawning forward. When new clone troopers respawn they spawn onto these AT-TEs, with limited time "spawn shields" which easily gives the advantage to the clones because they can spawn farther forward in the map kill anyone close to them and the AT-TE when they spawn.....rinse repeat. That is why a lot of droids are farther back from the AT-TEs and they keep moving farther back and you see a lot less CQC closer battles or a lot less frontline battles in the game compared to other maps with the droids getting closer to the AT-TEs on the sides doing damage. Then people start reverting to sniping only increasing the "positive feedback loop" or problem with the map design. Droids have to run from the back of the map back to the frontline when default spawning. What should happen since the clones spawn on AT-TEs the default spawning for droids should spawn them on the frontline or near the closest front line tank or vehicle on their team This would make the Geonosis map play out better than it currently does.