criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

How to not run a business

Prev1
GrayOne
359 posts Member
edited February 5
Basically everything these companies are doing, do the opposite, if you want your business to thrive. If I ran my company with the examples set by these "TITANS" of industry....I wouldn't have a company, simply put. If my subordinates dropped the ball this many times, the following happens,
cj90ufakb92d.gif

8ks7hczefzvy.gif


Replies

  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!
  • The_Sith_Apprentice
    1758 posts Member
    edited February 5
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

    What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Ya... I guess EA generating more net income than Activison/Blizzard despite having less revenue is a total indication of EA's business ineptitude.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.

    They didn't get there with junk products. It's junk products that have gotten that stock price down. That's why Battlefield V has been half price since a few weeks after launch lol. Any successful AAA title wouldn't be priced that low for at least 6 months to a year.

    The "perceived" value drop is a direct reflection of how gamers currently perceive their products and policies. Anthem could be in some real trouble just for the fact it has EA written on the box.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    Not for long. Belgium declared them illegal, and there's states in the US looking to do the same. Their loot box revenue has been down in the sports games overall.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.

    They didn't get there with junk products. It's junk products that have gotten that stock price down. That's why Battlefield V has been half price since a few weeks after launch lol. Any successful AAA title wouldn't be priced that low for at least 6 months to a year.

    The "perceived" value drop is a direct reflection of how gamers currently perceive their products and policies. Anthem could be in some real trouble just for the fact it has EA written on the box.

    The vast majority of EA's revenue is from their yearly sports franchises (FIFA and Madden for example) which basically print money. EA could write off Anthem right now before even releasing it and it would be unlikely to have a large impact on their projected future revenue. It would effect their perceived value in the short term, which would be the perfect time to buy... just as it was a few weeks after this game was released!
  • They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.
  • I am hopeful their perceived value keeps dropping a bit more... the best time to buy stock is when the percieved value makes you want to vomit!
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    I am hopeful their perceived value keeps dropping a bit more... the best time to buy stock is when the percieved value makes you want to vomit!

    lol true. But then that is in the hopes they get their act together so the price goes back up. Many are pointing at this loot box mess as the gaming version of a market bubble. A sort of artificially high profit level. Third party companies that have gone all in on loot boxes and games as service could be in some real trouble.

    Fortunately, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have steered clear of this mess, so console owners shouldn't worry.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    I am hopeful their perceived value keeps dropping a bit more... the best time to buy stock is when the percieved value makes you want to vomit!

    lol true. But then that is in the hopes they get their act together so the price goes back up. Many are pointing at this loot box mess as the gaming version of a market bubble. A sort of artificially high profit level. Third party companies that have gone all in on loot boxes and games as service could be in some real trouble.

    Fortunately, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have steered clear of this mess, so console owners shouldn't worry.

    I sure hope companies are going to stop with the loot box mess; they are ruining good games by making them pay2win!

    “Loot boxes” = “in-app purchases” = pay2win
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

    What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.

    Wrong on so many levels
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.

    Wrong on so many levels

    Considering you just claimed someone's assertion of yearly revenue was refuted by a screenshot of the revenue from a single quarter, go ahead and refute away... I eagerly await screenshot "proof"!
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

    What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Stock prices beg to differ.

    Stock prices reflect the "perceived" value of a company. EA routinely generates some of the highest revenues and gross incomes in the industry and they are generally comperable with Activision/Blizzard as far as their strength in the industry. You need to divorce your assessment of their business success from how you feel about the quality of their products... In fact, if you think they have junk products, that actually supports the argument that they are good at business... if you can successfully compete with junk products, that would indicate to me that you are actually better at business than a company that can only compete with good products lol.

    They didn't get there with junk products. It's junk products that have gotten that stock price down. That's why Battlefield V has been half price since a few weeks after launch lol. Any successful AAA title wouldn't be priced that low for at least 6 months to a year.

    The "perceived" value drop is a direct reflection of how gamers currently perceive their products and policies. Anthem could be in some real trouble just for the fact it has EA written on the box.

    The vast majority of EA's revenue is from their yearly sports franchises (FIFA and Madden for example) which basically print money. EA could write off Anthem right now before even releasing it and it would be unlikely to have a large impact on their projected future revenue. It would effect their perceived value in the short term, which would be the perfect time to buy... just as it was a few weeks after this game was released!

    Yes but that sports money has been shrinking, and is expected to take an even bigger hit this year. Gamers are tired of loot boxes, and games like Fortnite and PUBG have shown you don't need them.

    I don't agree about Anthem. It's clearly trying to be the microtransaction model and revenue. It's also Bioware trying to bounce back from Mass Effect Andromeda, yet another EA misstep. It was so bad they put the Mass Effect IP on ice.

    They keep cancelling games. They closed Visceral. They have squandered the Star Wars license. They are running out of revenue options to maintain anything resembling their better profit years...hence the bubble talk surrounding companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    $5 billion! Wow.
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

    What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?

    However many titles they have made since the early 2000's... EA has abandoned or provided poor support for so many of their games over the years it is crazy. The bottom line is that as long as they continue to make money doing this behavior, there is no reason to change said behavior regardless of what gamers subjectively think about it.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    The solution imo is to make a high quality game at the start, and add an in game store free of loot boxes. Let the game sell itself, and people will buy the skins, etc. That's what Fortnite is doing.

    Ironically, Titanfall 2 could have done that. It got high critic praise and saw a drastic uptick in player base after 6 months. It's still easy to get into a game. It's because the gameplay is that good, so people don't mind dropping some cash.

    Releasing half finished games that don't give the level of quality fans of the series expect, then dumping microtransactions and loot boxes on top of it? That's what gamers aren't interested in.
  • please continue
    qnoxm21kde4m.gif
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?

    However many titles they have made since the early 2000's... EA has abandoned or provided poor support for so many of their games over the years it is crazy. The bottom line is that as long as they continue to make money doing this behavior, there is no reason to change said behavior regardless of what gamers subjectively think about it.

    As I expected then.
  • Zyder
    309 posts Member
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    yet they can't afford new personal and development team to bring new, fresh and also, fast stuff for this game.

    Say what you want @F8RGE, but your game is more than a year released and it is still not completed. Because you are not bringing new content to the game, you are still FIXING AND COMPLETING the game you released more than a year.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?

    However many titles they have made since the early 2000's... EA has abandoned or provided poor support for so many of their games over the years it is crazy. The bottom line is that as long as they continue to make money doing this behavior, there is no reason to change said behavior regardless of what gamers subjectively think about it.

    True but where that revenue comes from seems to be changing. I think they get a lot of it from mobile gaming. It's no secret sports game revenue is dropping. Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Titanfall 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefront 2, and Battlefield V were not money makers for them. Like I said, Anthem has had mixed receptions due to EA being on the box lol.

    EA stock is dropping rapidly which will absolutely get their attention. How remains to be seen, but I don't see them continuing with business as usual.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?

    However many titles they have made since the early 2000's... EA has abandoned or provided poor support for so many of their games over the years it is crazy. The bottom line is that as long as they continue to make money doing this behavior, there is no reason to change said behavior regardless of what gamers subjectively think about it.

    True but where that revenue comes from seems to be changing. I think they get a lot of it from mobile gaming. It's no secret sports game revenue is dropping. Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Titanfall 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefront 2, and Battlefield V were not money makers for them. Like I said, Anthem has had mixed receptions due to EA being on the box lol.

    EA stock is dropping rapidly which will absolutely get their attention. How remains to be seen, but I don't see them continuing with business as usual.

    Can you back up that last statement with another screenshot please?
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

    What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • 7w3z23j01vmq.gif
    Gooooood

  • This thread turned out funnier than I thought it would, thanks guys.

    "Liar!!!"
    "Um... that's per quarter."

    Internet gold.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • ytruo5sd33a1.gif
    He He He He
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    They've also made some highly curious decisions, like the release of Titanfall 2. Who in their right mind would release that game the week in between Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Warfare? Considering they bought Respawn a year later, many wonder if EA purposefully set that release date so it would be a cheaper acquisition.

    And now they release Apex Legends today...a battle royale game by Respawn. And what is coming next month? Battlefield V's Firestorm Battle royale mode lol. Once again, EA cannibalizing itself, unless this is them basically giving up on Battlefield V revenue. Of course, Battlefield V happened because they pulled developers off this game which is why we still haven't got our promised content.

    EA keeps doing this because they want you looking at the latest thing, spending money on the latest thing, instead of recalling the mess they just made and want to sweep under the rug. The problem is gamers aren't forgetting lol.

    I am pretty sure their revenue has been upward trending for years now... gamers are fickle and will generally buy the latest stuff... in my experience there are few who will actually follow through on boycott threats. When I see EA revenue trend down for a couple years in a row, I will be a believer... so far that has not been the case historically. There are plenty of my friends who purchased this game and swore to never buy another EA game... they are happily complaining about their BFV gameplay as we speak lol.
    With all of this in mind, what would you say is the solution, or prospect rather, to getting higher quality games that are fully vetted upon release and supported better than the ones that are currently out? From EA I mean.

    There isn't one as long as people keep buying their products... this has been EAs business model since the early 2000's, and so far they continue to do just fine, which means that for all the talk, for nearly 2 decades there has been almost no actual change in consumer behavior.
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    I think last year was over 5 billion lol.

    Across how many different titles?

    However many titles they have made since the early 2000's... EA has abandoned or provided poor support for so many of their games over the years it is crazy. The bottom line is that as long as they continue to make money doing this behavior, there is no reason to change said behavior regardless of what gamers subjectively think about it.

    True but where that revenue comes from seems to be changing. I think they get a lot of it from mobile gaming. It's no secret sports game revenue is dropping. Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Titanfall 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefront 2, and Battlefield V were not money makers for them. Like I said, Anthem has had mixed receptions due to EA being on the box lol.

    EA stock is dropping rapidly which will absolutely get their attention. How remains to be seen, but I don't see them continuing with business as usual.

    Can you back up that last statement with another screenshot please?

    A screenshot of what? The stock dropping? You can find that anywhere lol. t3hBar0n isn't even arguing that point.
  • This is why I come to the forums. Pure delight
  • Zyder wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    GrayOne wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    EA is routinely one of the most successful companies in the industry... I think they have the business side of this down just fine.

    Come on son!, don't come in here with that week game. This ain't checkers, this is chess!

    Then EA declares checkmate. They make $1 billion per year with their FIFA games.

    LIAR!!!asa5hd1a4z3s.png

    Like @t3hBar0n said, it is for the QUARTER.
    I did lie (I guess) since EA makes $3 BILLION PER YEAR!!!!

    yet they can't afford new personal and development team to bring new, fresh and also, fast stuff for this game.

    Say what you want @F8RGE, but your game is more than a year released and it is still not completed. Because you are not bringing new content to the game, you are still FIXING AND COMPLETING the game you released more than a year.

    From a business standpoint it doesn't matter what they can/not afford... all that matters is what will yield the best return on investment. Proprietary properties will have a much larger ROI than licensed IP's will, so if you are going to spend money to make more money, you want to make sure that your spending generates the most return (in this case properties owned by EA like Battlefield). In the case of Battlefront 2, this game was already a licensed property from Disney, making it less attractive for prolonged development... on top of that, once they removed the potential for long term continued revenue by removing the crate system, there is almost no business incentive to keep pouring money into this game.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    ... once they removed the potential for long term continued revenue by removing the crate system, there is almost no business incentive to keep pouring money into this game.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Unfortunately, I think this is a relatively accurate comment and one of the reasons the amount of new content has been so low (though there could be other factors at work between EA and Disney). I think if we look at the game from a business point of view we can see that. Looking at the game from a Star Wars fan's point of view will generally result in unhelpful "I hate EA/Dice" threads.

    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • I would love to join this conversation .... but bank account too low
    How's the weather in Egypt?
  • hsf_
    1608 posts Member
    EA are like the Chelsea FC(English football club) of video gaming. When they're winning, they're winning ugly and when they're losing, the liquidate the backroom staff and start again. Which routinely happens every 2-4 years or so.
    EA when they're generating a profit, it's through shady means such as loot boxes. And when a game doesn't make a profit? They liquidate the development company...
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited February 5
    At this point, continued game development is probably not happening as much as we would all hope because there is less opportunity for substantial profit. They will invest juuuussst enough money/time into BF2 to maintain some level of loyalty or acceptance in the game. Then, we all wait a year or three and pretend that BF3 will have all the perfect content.

    Yes, EA knows how to make money in general. Still, successful companies makes blunders all the time, and they definitely could have made more money/had a better live service with better planning. I’m sure they regret it, and I’m guessing there were leadership changes within EA or DICE because of the loot box “fiasco” and their last minute “fix.”
  • Say what you like but they have released the same game every year since 2000 with only updated rosters and gambling and look what's happened, a fool and his money are easily parted and until people wise up nothing will change, the fact that they can make bad games and still have people foaming at the mouth over what is essentially pokemon cards says it all
  • Say what you like but they have released the same game every year since 2000 with only updated rosters and gambling and look what's happened, a fool and his money are easily parted and until people wise up nothing will change, the fact that they can make bad games and still have people foaming at the mouth over what is essentially pokemon cards says it all

    It's not even just 1 game either... this is the model for basically all their sports titles lol. I quit playing Madden nearly a decade ago as it was just the same thing every year.
  • It looks to me like Respawn is EA's ace in the hole. They just released Apex Legends, and it looks like it could be a COD Blackout level hit. From what I've been reading, this was not EA wanting a battle royale game. EA wanted to put out Titanfall 3, but Respawn knew their engine was too dated to look good in 2019. So Respawn convinced EA to trust them that Apex Legends is the way to go. It's 100% a Respawn concept.

    This is encouraging because it's how EA should be handling their studios. Trust them to do what they do best, sit back, and watch the success happen. This is what Sony does with their first party studios, and it's no secret how successful that has been. It's also a great sign for Jedi Fallen Order.

    Apparently Titanfall 3 is not in the works at the moment. My guess is it will be a next gen game running on the Frostbite engine. It could be doing some amazing stuff on next gen hardware if Titanfall 2 is any indication.
  • It looks to me like Respawn is EA's ace in the hole. They just released Apex Legends, and it looks like it could be a COD Blackout level hit. From what I've been reading, this was not EA wanting a battle royale game. EA wanted to put out Titanfall 3, but Respawn knew their engine was too dated to look good in 2019. So Respawn convinced EA to trust them that Apex Legends is the way to go. It's 100% a Respawn concept.

    This is encouraging because it's how EA should be handling their studios. Trust them to do what they do best, sit back, and watch the success happen. This is what Sony does with their first party studios, and it's no secret how successful that has been. It's also a great sign for Jedi Fallen Order.

    Apparently Titanfall 3 is not in the works at the moment. My guess is it will be a next gen game running on the Frostbite engine. It could be doing some amazing stuff on next gen hardware if Titanfall 2 is any indication.

    Well it is being developed by the team from 2015 inc. which developed Medal of Honor, who then went on to form Infinity Ward and created COD up until MW2, who then went on to form Respawn and created Titanfall... so I have no doubt the gameplay will be solid. On top of that, the game appears to be stacked with MTX and other prolonged revenue generation features which will provide a constant revenue stream.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Say what you like but they have released the same game every year since 2000 with only updated rosters and gambling and look what's happened, a fool and his money are easily parted and until people wise up nothing will change, the fact that they can make bad games and still have people foaming at the mouth over what is essentially pokemon cards says it all

    It's not even just 1 game either... this is the model for basically all their sports titles lol. I quit playing Madden nearly a decade ago as it was just the same thing every year.

    60+ for a updated roster and a different button to tackle and people lap it up but get this "game development is getting more expensive so we need to charge more"
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    It looks to me like Respawn is EA's ace in the hole. They just released Apex Legends, and it looks like it could be a COD Blackout level hit. From what I've been reading, this was not EA wanting a battle royale game. EA wanted to put out Titanfall 3, but Respawn knew their engine was too dated to look good in 2019. So Respawn convinced EA to trust them that Apex Legends is the way to go. It's 100% a Respawn concept.

    This is encouraging because it's how EA should be handling their studios. Trust them to do what they do best, sit back, and watch the success happen. This is what Sony does with their first party studios, and it's no secret how successful that has been. It's also a great sign for Jedi Fallen Order.

    Apparently Titanfall 3 is not in the works at the moment. My guess is it will be a next gen game running on the Frostbite engine. It could be doing some amazing stuff on next gen hardware if Titanfall 2 is any indication.

    Well it is being developed by the team from 2015 inc. which developed Medal of Honor, who then went on to form Infinity Ward and created COD up until MW2, who then went on to form Respawn and created Titanfall... so I have no doubt the gameplay will be solid. On top of that, the game appears to be stacked with MTX and other prolonged revenue generation features which will provide a constant revenue stream.

    yeah its fun as Battle Royale games go. I'm not a big battle royale fan, but Apex Legends is free. I tried it and it's fun. All the weapons are from Titanfall 2. The Legends have abilities, most of which are from Titanfall 2. It's a squad only game, and all squad member have to pick a different character and learn how to work together. So it's got a bit of Overwatch in that regard.

    The cosmetics are highly impressive. Far better than those in Titanfall 2, and very much in line with Fortnite and Overwatch. You can get them with in game currency or pay for them. It definitely appears to be a long term money maker.

    It's easily been the top viewed game on Twitch all day, reaching as high as just under a half million viewers. A lot of the top streamers have been enjoying it.
  • There is a reason they are moving away from dlc season passes and to this "live service" and contrary to popular belief it has nothing to do with player bases or splitting the community, it's cheaper for them to add in gambling and reap that then drip feed things to make it seem like a live service otherwise it wouldn't exist, 40£ for 4 map packs etc is not a guaranteed sell and you have to produce it regardless, "live service" is very specific wording and not used lightly as it leaves us with essentially a promise
  • There is a reason they are moving away from dlc season passes and to this "live service" and contrary to popular belief it has nothing to do with player bases or splitting the community, it's cheaper for them to add in gambling and reap that then drip feed things to make it seem like a live service otherwise it wouldn't exist, 40£ for 4 map packs etc is not a guaranteed sell and you have to produce it regardless, "live service" is very specific wording and not used lightly as it leaves us with essentially a promise

    I never thought of it like that but it makes sense as a business from their point of view. "Live service" means a dynamic stream of content, but it doesn't have to be specific. The amount may vary, you can change course in the middle and there are always hooks for micro-transactions. It also means they can pull the plug easily on a game because there were no promises made (like when you bought a season pass). It also helps sell that idea if the content is free.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!