criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Playing the light side is pure torture

Prev1
Lagodaki
912 posts Member
edited February 5
Yup, if your on the light side might as well just leave..

I really wonder if the devs realize this
zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction

Replies

• Context?
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    Context?
    I’m talking about HvV
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

• DarthLando
    1090 posts Member
    edited February 5
    You can still win while playing on the LS, granted the DS has a pretty significant advantage, however I definitely don’t auto leave when I’m the LS
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • Okay, so HvV. But what exactly is the issue you appear to be having?

I've recently had the momentuous good fortune to discover the joy that is 1saber 3blaster LS comps.

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• KresusFIN wrote: »
    Okay, so HvV. But what exactly is the issue you appear to be having?

I've recently had the momentuous good fortune to discover the joy that is 1saber 3blaster LS comps.
    Just spreading awareness, and wanting to see others opinions
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

• Lagodaki
    912 posts Member
    edited February 5
    Wallofman wrote: »
    You are correct, playing as the light side is MUCH harder. I do think it requires team play. I play with some guys and when we have 3 or 4 communicating we can generally win as light side. Players also must be willing to change and adapt more on the light side. Depending on what the dark side rolls out I might have to switch to a blaster hero or vice versa. Tactics and team work are a must.
    Except the way the target system favors them and their crowd control abilities mean you will suffer regardless
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

• Chico
    359 posts Member
    KresusFIN wrote: »
    Okay, so HvV. But what exactly is the issue you appear to be having?

Yeah, but playing with randoms this doesn't often happen. Most people (understandably) want to wave their shiny glowstick in HvV. So Luke, Obi and Rey and/or Yoda tend to be the main picks. And if you are the only blaster hero on LS any half way competent DS team or player will focus on keeping you out of the game.
  • DS is in general stronger. For LS to field an equally strong team, a there needs to be a good balance of sabers/blasters. 2/2 split is generally pretty good. If u do 3/4 sabers and r not willing to swap, DS will bring palpy and u will get melted. U need at least two blaster guys to keep enough pressure on palpy/boba so that they do not dominate the battlefield.

Saber heroes in the meantime hold off the villain force using monstrosities.

Honestly, for an LS team to be strong, any 2 of chewie, lando or han need to be present, assuming equal skill across both sides.
  • lets hope anakin will bring balance to hvv
  • jordi1337 wrote: »
    lets hope anakin will bring balance to hvv

Can't wait to pull Palp/Boba/Maul into Landos disabler
  • Lagodaki wrote: »
    You are correct, playing as the light side is MUCH harder. I do think it requires team play. I play with some guys and when we have 3 or 4 communicating we can generally win as light side. Players also must be willing to change and adapt more on the light side. Depending on what the dark side rolls out I might have to switch to a blaster hero or vice versa. Tactics and team work are a must.
    Except the way the target system favors them and their crowd control abilities mean you will suffer regardless

Well yes and no. That is where team work comes in. Since I play in a 3 or 4 person party we can communicate. If we have a Boba flyer, someone will come in a Chewie, Han, or Finn. If we have a Maul runner, we can communicate to trap the player.

Or if all else fails one player will stay back and defend the target. Crowd control abilities are a pain, and obvious favor the dark side. However, it takes a complete team effort to defeat these tactics.

It is hard, I will agree to that.
  • FlaminRedRocket
    57 posts Member
    edited February 6
    If you have a good Lando and Han on the light side you will wreck. Ive stomped plenty of times.

If you put 4v4 casual players together, dark side will win. When there is skill involved, it becomes more even.
  • A good Han or Lando can give your team a boost as long as you aren't foot first in every confrontation between DS teams.
    Hi.
  • I find that playing with bad teammates is the real torture. I've had some amazing matches with lightside when we had a balanced team of blasters and sabers and we played as a team, while I've had some horrible darkside matches where my team was scattered and kept getting slaughtered alone.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    Lagodaki wrote: »

With changes to stuns coming, this should have a knock-on effect to the Dark Side in HvV.

The only killer i would like to see sorted for DS is allow LS sabre heroes to block Palps lightening, his lightning should be treated the same as opposing a sabre strike or blaster shots.
    I think this one thing would bring more balance to the LS.
  • Cadoth
    1058 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »

With changes to stuns coming, this should have a knock-on effect to the Dark Side in HvV.

I hope it will
  • Can I suggest you just stop playing HvV?
  • Light side or dark side can be torture with bad team. Light side can be more torture when people are quitting like cowards very early about 8/10 loss in points.
  • I find it not as much a problem when you have a good team (tho an equal DS team still beats you 5-0 or greater)

Not really much you can do in a pub setting if you get defective LS teammates, though it happens with DS too.

6atf7zkl6bjf.png
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • rebel_scum2
    203 posts Member
    edited February 6
    quenaelin wrote: »
    Light side or dark side can be torture with bad team. Light side can be more torture when people are quitting like cowards very early about 8/10 loss in points.

It's probably not cowardice, and more like an informed decision based on experience. Right now in this game in general, and HvV in particular, you don't know until you've played for at least 2 - 3 minutes what set of rules will apply:
    1. the preferred case where hits, dodges & blocks register, abilities work, and things generally make sense (i.e. attacks and other actions don't happen 1 - 3 seconds after you push the button), or
    2. the other times where you can't land shots, blocking and dodging never work, attempting to time your attacks or other actions is constantly thrown off by inexplicable delays, and everything you do is preempted by something your enemies did
    I'm pretty sure the difference between the two cases is based on player latency and netcode, but you won't know until you start playing. And, if you're on the wrong side of it while you're playing the Light Side you have absolutely no chance of winning, and the best case is for a mercifully quick, but otherwise completely frustrating 0-10 loss. The Dark Side villain makeup (more saber users) and abilities seem to exacerbate the difference between these two cases, since many of the DS abilities completely incapacitate opponents for extended periods of time, as opposed to LS abilities which only partially incapacitate you (leaving your enemy the ability to attack, block, jump, etc...), and/or do so for much shorter periods of time. Hopefully, this upcoming change to stuns will close the gap...

EDIT: this is based on PS4 play experience

The main issue in my opinion with saber combat is the saber lock/stun. At the moment it’s terrible.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • jesus christ. you know it'd be nice to have some modicum of consistency with the way these characters feel and play... it's tiring have to work with you all through constant changes. remember when vader was able to choke drag people off ledges and it was awesome? now his choke barely holds on and most the time when it does it causes some ridiculous glitching. dice sucks, never supporting anything they do ever again.
  • johnny_mercury
    4161 posts Member
    edited February 6

Do the devs have a plan to patch the numerous map exploits, stop Boba from flying around the map and perching in spots not accessible by anybody and dragging matches out for 45m?
  • jonci wrote: »

The only killer i would like to see sorted for DS is allow LS sabre heroes to block Palps lightening, his lightning should be treated the same as opposing a sabre strike or blaster shots.

Palpatine is pretty much fine the way he is now
  • jonci
    999 posts Member
    Terranova4 wrote: »
    jonci wrote: »

Palpatine is pretty much fine the way he is now

I didn't say do anything to Palpatine i said allow sabre users to block same as sabre attacks and shots, read the post.
  • Palp's lightning can't be blocked? People block mine all the time.

Block might fail to work due to bugs but that's not an issue specific to Palpatine.

Also he can't block anything by design. I wish he had a block (as he did in the last game) when playing against any competent blaster user (even troopers who can heavily punish you without chain lightning up) but the design is what it is.

He's a hard counter to Jedi that's hard countered by blasters.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st

Block might fail to work due to bugs but that's not an issue specific to Palpatine.

Also he can't block anything by design. I wish he had a block (as he did in the last game) when playing against any competent blaster user (even troopers who can heavily punish you without chain lightning up) but the design is what it is.

So easy to comprehend, and yet...

This is ideally the case, but hitting a bouncing bean Palpatine is not always a given in a console environment, especially when combined with high latency player effects. This is why he's usually a game changer when he shows up in the hands of certain players in GA - outpacing his Chain Lightning regen requires you to hit him enough before you die.

• I agree. At the start of each game, a message should appear on screen to the Light Side: "Play as a Team or You Will Lose. You Have Been Warned." But seriously, if the LS doesn't play as one cohesive unit (a team) then they have no chance. No one likes going up against Grievous, Vader and Dooku by themselves. Team play is ESSENTIAL for the LS, and unfortunately, only the LS.
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • Psy3d
    680 posts Member
    For me playing DS is pure torture in HvV if you have LS which has a Lando with Leia/Han/Chewie or Obi/Rey. So you get stunned and blaster spam with way more blaster spam+Han's air burst Gren/Chewies Stomp or you get stunned with saber spam with control inverted and dodge disabled. I've seen Vader & Grievous melted in seconds...Dooku, Maul and Kylo goes down even faster.

As stated a somewhat "team" in LS can destroy DS way faster. I never pick cheap characters like Lando or Iden. But when playing in LS I would only pick Han...and if there's a adept Lando player...I'll be coasting to the top 2 scorers for the match.
  • jesus christ. you know it'd be nice to have some modicum of consistency with the way these characters feel and play... it's tiring have to work with you all through constant changes. remember when vader was able to choke drag people off ledges and it was awesome? now his choke barely holds on and most the time when it does it causes some ridiculous glitching. dice sucks, never supporting anything they do ever again.

Vader can choke and drag now, he did that to me more than once in Naboo :)
  • Admiral_Xen
    2727 posts Member
    edited February 6
    Palp's lightning can't be blocked? People block mine all the time.

This is ideally the case, but hitting a bouncing bean Palpatine is not always a given in a console environment, especially when combined with high latency player effects. This is why he's usually a game changer when he shows up in the hands of certain players in GA - outpacing his Chain Lightning regen requires you to hit him enough before you die.

High latency player are always difficult to play against in this game . It's not just Palp

Han on high latency feels like he OHK's you because he's blown up and shot you 5 times before you even see him throw, and all the damage gets delivered in one packet.

Finn's Deadeye feels like Palp lightning but worse because it's basically the same aimbot mechanic at higher DPS.

All sabers are turbo cancer. You'll get smacked by the lightbat and reeled back a full second after you rolled out of the way. Yoda with his troll hitboxes (not just small but the way they move up and down erratically) vs blasters is especially egregious with how where they appear to you is definitely not where they are for the other player.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

High latency player are always difficult to play against in this game . It's not just Palp

Han on high latency feels like he OHK's you because he's blown up and shot you 5 times before you even see him throw, and all the damage gets delivered in one packet.

Finn's Deadeye feels like Palp lightning but worse because it's basically the same aimbot mechanic at higher DPS.

All sabers are turbo cancer. You'll get smacked by the lightbat and reeled back a full second after you rolled out of the way. Yoda with his troll hitboxes (not just small but the way they move up and down erratically) vs blasters is especially egregious with how where they appear to you is definitely not where they are for the other player.

#netcode

I still remember our 2 v 4 matches from the other night.

It's enough to make a man commit not alive.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• Han is the only good LS hero
  • Han is the only good LS hero

Excuse me?
    What about Lando? Or Rey? Or Luke?
    Add more Extraction and SA maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 5: Episode IX
    “Season” 6: Rogue One
  • ZephanUnbound
    2474 posts Member
    edited February 9
    Light side is definitely at a disadvantage overall in HvV, it is my most played mode in Battlefront 2 by far, and in my experience dark side wins at least 7 times out of 10 with evenly skilled teams. Victory on light side requires teamwork and a good team composition, 2 things you aren't likely to get when playing with a random matchmade team. Victory as lightside is also more likely on some maps than others, lightside has the advantage on maps with ledges like Kashyyyk and Kamino thanks to having 3 force push characters (plus Han's detonite charge and Chewie's slam have knockback effects as well that can occasionally get a ledge kill, and sometimes somebody will fall off a ledge when affected by Rey's mind trick as well). If you have lots of blaster heroes in your team comp, open maps are better as well since saber villains need to close in across greater distances, giving you more time to drain their stamina with blaster fire.

In particular, the current 5 saber villains tend to be better than the current 4 saber heroes, I find that in 4 saber vs 4 saber match-ups villains win at least 8/10 with evenly skilled teams. Hopefully Anakin's addition will decrease that down to like 6/10 in favor of the villains, since he is apparently going to be the strongest saber hero overall in terms of damage output.
    Post edited by ZephanUnbound on

I haven't played since March 2018. Came back yesterday to try out Obiwan. HvV balance is disgusting. How and why did this happen?
  • If it's "torture" why are you playing it? Cheer up
  • Clone201
    3698 posts Member
    edited February 9
    EDIT - 4:05 PM (2/9/2019)
    Han is the only good LS hero

Excuse me?
    What about Lando? Or Rey? Or Luke?

Nope...

Lando is totally screwed against any decent Darth Vader, General Grievous, or perhaps even Dooku player without his stun. His pistol is not that good and sharpshot can be blocked. Also Boba and Iden can easily beat him up; by Boba using jetpack to essentially nullify his stun and Iden using her shield to essentially nullify his stun as well.

Luke? Lol. He can't stand up to Vader, Palpatine, and Grievous, and has hard times going up against Iden or Boba too. Also deals underwhelming damage with his force abilities.

Rey is good, but not enough. Mind Trick is easily nullified by smart movement, it leaves her vulnerable as she uses it, and she too cannot stand up to Vader, Palpatine, and Grievous; including Boba Fett.

While Han Solo is screwed against decent Darth Vader (force choke + saber throw + two attacks w/rage = death) or top-tier Iden (taking no damage from detonite by use of her shield, using stun, and then taking out beyond half his health with it) for examples, he has a great gun, two unblockable / undodgable attacks that are effective, and then a center ability that's highly lethal. He has more than the slightest slim chance against all.
    Post edited by Clone201 on
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • I mean... It really isn't torture. I just played a round as han solo and had a great time.
  • Good ole BF2 HvV discussion. Worse than BF2015 Droid Run. Only mode off the top of my head that's worse is Jetpack Cargo.

You see, I always thought that a sequel was supposed to build off the original (BF2015 isn't the original BF, but it's the original reboot). You know, take the best qualities and add to them or expand them.

So you look at BF2015, you have Cargo, Outer Rim, Deathstar DLC, Sabotage, Bespin, etc. Tons of content with endless replayability.

Going into BF2, knowing what we already had set up, I'm thinking this is going to be the best experience as a gamer Star Wars fan that you've ever had. All the awesome sauce from BF2015 + ST and PT content?? Strap in boys and girls cause it's going to be a glorious ride!

Instead we get:

1: A completely broken HvV trash mode riddled with map exploits, no balance, AFKers, and countless other issues.
    2. A ruined Cargo mode called Jetpack Cargo. Where the poop is Cargo? That mode was amazing!!
    3. Ewoks - cool
    4. Essentially no DLC (honestly, what we're getting is obnoxiously ridiculous). Where are the new worlds? Where are the new cards? New weapons?
    5. No R2D2 mode that was amazing to play (escape the Deathstar as the iconic droid)
    6. No trench run
    7. No BB8
    8. No Mace Windu (you're promoting all this new and wonderful content but you don't add Mace Windu; whatever dudes, that's a fail)
    9. A slap in the face version of Extraction with TWO MAPS with Developers admitting they don't plan to expand.
    10. Limited soundtrack during gameplay. (Tons and tons of amazing music to choose from and we're stuck with about 5 songs on an endless playlist. Zzzzzzzz.)

It's a gorgeous game. Absolutely stunning. I have a lot of fun every time I play. But this is a huge failure and disappointment.

Funny how Disney just praised EA for such a great job done. We're stuck with this mediocre poop for a long time, folks.
  • BucksawBoushh
    4890 posts Member
    edited February 9
    SWymsa wrote: »
    Yup, if your on the light side might as well just leave..

I really wonder if the devs realize this

Seriously can you guys stop complaining? :smiley:

WOW! Anger issues much? :D
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • hsf_
    1817 posts Member

I'll believe it when I see it.