criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Apex Legends - EA's New Free 2 Play Battle Royale

IronSoldier
3219 posts SWBF Senior Moderator

Anyone playing it? I picked it up this morning and really enjoyed it so far. It's got solid game play and is a lot of fun.

Replies

• Downloading it now. It looks like it maybe my first battle royal style game. If it's anything thing close to titanfall 1 or 2 I will stick with it.
  • bfloo
    14028 posts Member
    Tried it, alreagy got a win, but BR is just not my cup of tea.

Mechanics are pretty good though.

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• I played it for a while this morning. It's well done with smooth gameplay mechanics. I'm not into BR games at all so won't be playing it, but if you are into it you'll dig it.
  • Played last night

Fun, smooth and looks amazing :)
  • Zyder
    308 posts Member
    I cannot play it :(

So low graphics. I can play SWBF2 at high and some things in Ultra but this Apex I have to low all in order to play, ALL LOW, even Resolution. And still not playing at 60 fps.

Any thoughts on what it should be?
  • jonci
    897 posts Member
    Does it run smoother than Battlefront? LOL
  • bfloo
    14028 posts Member
    jonci wrote: »
    Does it run smoother than Battlefront? LOL

Actaully, yes, plus better gun mechanics
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• IronSoldier
    Zyder wrote: »
    I cannot play it :(

So low graphics. I can play SWBF2 at high and some things in Ultra but this Apex I have to low all in order to play, ALL LOW, even Resolution. And still not playing at 60 fps.

Any thoughts on what it should be?

There's an issue at the start of rounds where there's a stutter/low frame rate but it should resolve itself and otherwise FPS should be higher than in BFII.
  • Won a match. Wraith is my fav so far. Runs really smooth on Xbox One. I haven't gotten any lag so far, which is awesome (In stark contrast to this game).
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • JAREDUP
    1418 posts Member
    I'll stick with the real titanfall
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • IronSoldier
    Won a match. Wraith is my fav so far. Runs really smooth on Xbox One. I haven't gotten any lag so far, which is awesome (In stark contrast to this game).

Source is a great engine, that's for sure.
  • @IronSoldier, do you know if there is 3rd person? It throws me off being in 1st person.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • I like how you can actually earn stuff from winning and leveling up, instead of paying for everything.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Love how the game was stealth released, but still brought in a million players in under 8 hours
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif
  • Love how the game was stealth released, but still brought in a million players in under 8 hours

"in the first 24 hours, we've had over 2.5 million unique users, training fast toward 3 million unique users, and nearly 600,000 peak and current users in the middle of a Tuesday, so it's very early, but the response to the game has been very, very strong."
  • Cool! How does it compare to PUBG?
  • Cool! How does it compare to PUBG?

Better.

I agree, hopefully it will not go through the same loot box and micro transaction rubbish that SWBF2 did.

Pay money = more content
  • I'm enjoying the game so far. It's my first Battle Royale experience, but I've always had a liking for One Life to Live type games and modes.
  • It’s pretty fun, but getting killed early is a drag with all the waiting, roaming, and looting. I’m used to seeing a bunch of stormtroopers seconds/minutes after starting the game, and I already have my trusty blaster. Lol. Obviously I’m new to battle royale.

The aiming/shooting physics are also way different than BF2 which has been my main shooter for many months, so it’s a struggle to get kills.
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    @IronSoldier, do you know if there is 3rd person? It throws me off being in 1st person.

First Person only. :smile:

(But also high-five #TeamWraith!)
  • EA_Rtas
    363 posts EA Moderator
    All about pathfinder and bloodhound
  • Dash
    11471 posts Member
    edited February 12
    All about Caustic. Just won a match with my future brother in law and a random lol! :sunglasses:

Gonna post the vid on my YT channel soon as I’m done editing the dead parts of the capture. :wink:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• EA_Tom
    270 posts EA Community Manager
    I haven't had proper sleep since this launched ;)
  • EA_Tom wrote: »
    I haven't had proper sleep since this launched ;)

It’s getting big fast, 25 mil in a week, wow. No brainer for me, loved the gameplay mechanics of TF2 and this feels almost exactly the same.
  • TheBigPineappL
    150 posts Member
    edited February 12
    My brother and I have been playing it since this past weekend and we are hooked. We've been talking today trying to pin down why it feels so good. I think right now, the game is actually really balance. The supers are helpful, but are not entirely a crutch. There isn't one gun that is both easy to use and OP. It really feels like you have more control over winning and losing. and OMG, the QoL things this game has. The Pinging, the Loot notification that tell you you already have something, or can't use something. Keeps you in the action more than in the menu trying to figure out a loadout. and Loot seems more generous too, though that may be due to the 60 player max. But there are pods everywhere too. I'm comparing mainly to PUBG which I uninstalled after a while. There is just something to this APEX game.... which is really surprising given how poorly EA has done with our beloved Star Wars.

EDIT: The map seems really well thought out and put together too. There are no huge chasms of open field. Even in the more open areas, there are still enough terrain and elevation diversity that you can use for cover and such. All in all, it just feels like the game is trying to help everyone a bit more instead of screw you over. Boiling it down to, actual skill.
  • Wow, this game is amazing. Honestly haven’t even thought about BF2 since I started playing. Obviously still looking forward to the new game mode in BF2.

All the legends are good and pretty evenly matched. Finally getting the hang of it too with a couple of matches won/final kills just yesterday by yours truly. :blush:
  • Real time combat puzzles that are different each time you play it.

It's the nature of the mode I think. 20 factions. Squad play. Search. Survive.

Battlefront is 2 factions in a linear game mode (I'm a Galactic Assault man).

Apex is great and I'm loving it, but I can already see having a single map getting old. They need to announce a new one when they detail Battle Passes.

I'm hoping BF2's new large mode really satisfies, but Apex Legends is a great supplement to my FPS experience overall.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    2746 posts Member
    edited February 13
    Blown away by how much I’m liking this game. Total surprise for me, which is exceedingly rare. And a pleasant one at that. Hat’s off the Respawn. They’ve set a new standard for a genre here.
  • anybody else find themselves suddenly attempting to slide down hills in Battlefront 2?
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    anybody else find themselves suddenly attempting to slide down hills in Battlefront 2?

For me it’s rolling in Apex Legends. 😝
  • IronSoldier
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    anybody else find themselves suddenly attempting to slide down hills in Battlefront 2?

I love the sliding and general movement mechanics so much. Extremely slick.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    No, but the middle mouse button controls roll BF2 and ping in Apex. So I'm constantly pointing out random things, shouting: "Let's go here!" :lol: