criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

EA Q3 Earnings Call...

Just finished reading the entire transcript of the earnings call, and not a single mention of any Battlefront properties... some interesting info though on merger & acquisitions strategy (Respawn?) as well on some shifting within their business focus. The overall tone of the call seems to be that EA's focus is going to be on live service models which will generate long term revenue (which sadly Battlefront will not have due to the removal of crates). Here are some of the most interesting tidbits from the call...

Talking about general business focus...
"We believe in the value of our franchises in the marketplace, and we are doubling down on these games through live services."

Cross platform play and progress...
"So again, we think the cross play and cross progress is going to be a very important part of that future, and you should anticipate that we'll be doing more in that space."

Surprisingly robust numbers for previous Battlefield games...
"However, people play Battlefield for a long time, and we're in this for the long haul. Battlefield 1 still has nearly 4 million monthly active users, and Battlefield 4 has nearly two million, more than five years after its launch. "

Jedi Fallen Order hype...
"And second, you'll start to see in the next few months glimpses of the Star Wars game and I think you'll be blown away by what you see. We've played 20 plus minutes of it last week and it is exceptional in terms of its like level of polish depth and what living inside of the Star Wars world is a Jedi and I think people will be blown away by."

View of the PC market segment...
"PC business is a critical component of long-term success"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4238417-electronic-arts-ea-ceo-andrew-wilson-q3-2019-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Replies

• Interesting.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Cadoth
    1058 posts Member
    edited February 7
    Can’t wait for fallen order 😆
  • bfloo
    15023 posts Member
    Why would they mention Battlefront in their quarterly call, it hasn't been relevant for months as far as being a significant income stream. They never really tried to monetize the game, most of the player base will never need to buy a crystal to unlock skins at the rate they are going.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    Why would they mention Battlefront in their quarterly call, it hasn't been relevant for months as far as being a significant income stream. They never really tried to monetize the game, most of the player base will never need to buy a crystal to unlock skins at the rate they are going.

If they had any significant further plans for the game to attempt to salvage the revenue stream it likely would have been discussed... the fact that it wasn't says a lot.

Secondly I was interested to see if there would be any mention of Battlefront 3 which there wasn't. I would be shocked if it wasnt already in development, and would presume if it is it will be released in 2021.

Thirdly, there have been rumors for some time that the CEO of EA dislikes licensing IP, preferring to spend resources developing their own proprietary IP rather than creating licensed products... unfortunately for him the Disney/EA deal was made before he was CEO, and he has been effectively stuck developing products which go against his business model. This would at least partially explain the lackluster focus EA has had towards the brand despite having the license.