criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Y-wing Rework

Seronax
471 posts Member
edited February 10
Hey Folks

Its Wildpeasant here...I know I KNOW i'm ask something from DICE to tweak/change something within SAlc3rya3c1p4n.gif
and mostlikely i know I KNOW NOTHING gonna happen but still...it annoys me too much to not try at least once. Yes i know we had discussion about this before...without any result but yea here we go.

Well about Y-wings...The most annoying ship of the mode, ofc I know how to counter it but there are situation when u just cant pay enough attention and the IONcannon spammers will get you.

Simple way to solve the problem without losing the ION effect is :

Take away the ION effect from it's turret and leave it as an ARC170 turret and replace it with the torpedoes. If u get hit by an ION torpedo u will get the same effect plus it should do MORE dmg on objectives

Just like it supposed to work
88ndct5yixwz.gif


Right now the ION cannons are = NOOBcannons

Thats it, what are your toughts?

[Edited a word]
3b81ofd486mu.jpg

Post edited by IronSoldier on

Replies

  • hsf_
    1734 posts Member
    It would be fine, if it didn't have a 100% chance to hit. If they gave it an accuracy rating of like 50% then it would be more viable.
  • Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • They should work like Boba's or the AT-RT's ion, i.e. be attached to the reticle and forward firing only.

    This would help them deal with ground vehicles in GA but nerf their aimbot turret cancer in starfighter modes. Win win.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

    Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • A rework would be nice, these things are infuriating.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • If you could at least still use your abilities when ion that would be fair but being slowed/lowered turn rate/no abilities all at the same time is just too powerfull for a ship that is not a hero.
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • Seronax wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.

    I wasn’t giving you advice. I was giving you my opinion. And possibly highlighting that you’re not particularly good in a starship.

    That’s all.

    But you do you if it makes you happy.

    pH
  • Seronax wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.

    That is simply not true, the Y-Wing, both in canon and in the old EU (Legends) had a rotating SW-4 Ion Cannon on the roof of the cockpit.

    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/SW-4_ion_cannon
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/SW-4_ion_cannon/Legends

    Indeed. And has been outfitted with ions since the X-Wing / Tie-fighter games back in the early 90s so it’s not like they’re breaking new ground.

    pH
  • Seronax
    471 posts Member
    edited February 10
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Seronax wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.

    I wasn’t giving you advice. I was giving you my opinion. And possibly highlighting that you’re not particularly good in a starship.

    That’s all.

    But you do you if it makes you happy.

    pH

    Lad u clearly dont know me..guess PS hu? :) Plus read back your own reply...it starts with : my advice...but nvm!
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • If you could at least still use your abilities when ion that would be fair but being slowed/lowered turn rate/no abilities all at the same time is just too powerfull for a ship that is not a hero.

    Personally i m fine if i cant use any ability...but that movement speed decrease is Super OP. Specially when u are with Vader or Iden with lower HP losing your mobility and u are done but i m sure u know this :D Or even Boba's ION lock on Han which almost makes you completely stop in midair making the chasers slaughter you in 1 sec.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Seronax wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.

    That is simply not true, the Y-Wing, both in canon and in the old EU (Legends) had a rotating SW-4 Ion Cannon on the roof of the cockpit.

    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/SW-4_ion_cannon
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/SW-4_ion_cannon/Legends

    Indeed. And has been outfitted with ions since the X-Wing / Tie-fighter games back in the early 90s so it’s not like they’re breaking new ground.

    pH

    Yep, and if the OP is wondering why the Y wings never fired their Ion cannons on screen in Rogue One or A New Hope, the reason for that was detailed in the old EU (Legends), the crystals in the Y-wing's ion cannon were notorious for being shaken out of alignment during combat and required frequent maintenance to work properly, so it is said that only 2 Y-wings between Blue Squadron and Gold Squadron had working ion cannons wen they went into battle at Scarif and Yavin.

    You can see the older Clone version of the Y-wing firing their Ion cannons in The Clone Wars however. Blue laser bolts in Star Wars signify ion fire.

    Some serious knowledge here, my apologies. I was wrong
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • I like the Y-Wing the way it is. It takes some skill to fly it well, and the ion cannon helps make up for the boat-like handling. I'm partial to it because I "purpled and 40'd" it first out of the other ships.

    I wouldn't mind a few more maps for the mode, though.

    - Thrux

    I agree, though it can be tough being on thé recieving end.

    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Seronax wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. The ions are annoying but easy to evade.

    I wonder if people complaining about ions are people who’ve only recently decided to give sfa a go.(??)

    My advice: one or two Y wings can be evaded with minimal damage; any more and you’re in serious trouble. Thing is although I see lots of Ys in game, they’re never coordinated enough to be an en masse threat.

    If I find an ion spammer I spend a few minutes hounding him until I’ve killed him three times in a row. Whether they stop because it gets the message across or because they just avoid me, I can’t say but it makes me feel better :lol:

    pH

    Thank you for the advice but i perfectly know how to counter it...The problem starts when Elite pilots using them.

    Ofc To outplay a beginer or average player its not a big deal but when a really good player using it is WAAAAAY far different story, specially if they are that well coordinated as the BlackSquadron when they focus you down with 4 Ywing from 4 different angle.

    Plus my biggest issue with it - Its really not Lorewise, Ywings never had ION cannons just Torpedoes.

    I wasn’t giving you advice. I was giving you my opinion. And possibly highlighting that you’re not particularly good in a starship.

    That’s all.

    But you do you if it makes you happy.

    pH

    qamcykz8ggz0.gif

    These times i wish we would have a statpage... sigh
    I like the Y-Wing the way it is. It takes some skill to fly it well, and the ion cannon helps make up for the boat-like handling. I'm partial to it because I "purpled and 40'd" it first out of the other ships.

    I wouldn't mind a few more maps for the mode, though.

    - Thrux

    More than one year ago when i was a beginer player i loved to use Ywing too, i guess it was my first regular ship which reached lvl40 the fastes way.That being said by time i became much better pilot and i realized i am not depending on the ioncannon anymore. I could /can kill anyone with a regular fighter. And now with my current skills it would be a shame to me to use an ywing to counter someone, so i dont use it at all. Just on highplay premaded events for the objectives only. To countering an equally elite player i use heroships or Fighter.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    I like the Y-Wing the way it is. It takes some skill to fly it well, and the ion cannon helps make up for the boat-like handling. I'm partial to it because I "purpled and 40'd" it first out of the other ships.

    I wouldn't mind a few more maps for the mode, though.

    - Thrux

    I agree, though it can be tough being on thé recieving end.

    We have to play both sides and I know how it is with a good Y-Wing pilot on your tail. Yeah it's a bit of a pain, but I prefer to go the other way of the Y-Wings when I'm in the TIE Bomber on Endor. Yes, I know there aren't a lot of differences in the flight models. I just love playing the objective against a large base or star ship:)

    - Thrux
  • At least you have gifs proving you’re happy. Hope they improve your evasion skills in the cockpit.

    pH
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    At least you have gifs proving you’re happy. Hope they improve your evasion skills in the cockpit.

    pH

    i guess u are playing on PS thats why u are writting these''funny''things x)
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Gold_Cpt_Vander
    53 posts Member
    edited February 11
    No Y-wing rework call from me. It is still my favorite ship of all the rebel ones, and I like that it have such a punch in this battlefront 2. Also it is on most maps my favorite to burn down the objectives, and it is as mentioned the perfect hero-hunter. When you are getting burned 3 times by that kylo, or boba guy I jump on my Y-wing, predict their flight path, set an intercept course, set target, fire ion cannon and as soon as I see the flashes I fire the double torpedos. The Hero will not go down always, but it is grim satisfaction to see them panic. :)
    And that is also the reason why it is hard for me to level my Iden oder Vader. Allways a Y-wing that has you and "know" you aren't a normal Tie-fighter. ;)
  • No Y-wing rework call from me. It is still my favorite ship of all the rebel ones, and I like that it have such a punch in this battlefront 2. Also it is on most maps my favorite to burn down the objectives, and it is as mentioned the perfect hero-hunter. When you are getting burned 3 times by that kylo, or boba guy I jump on my Y-wing, predict their flight path, set an intercept course, set target, fire ion cannon and as soon as I see the flashes I fire the double torpedos. The Hero will not go down always, but it is grim satisfaction to see them panic. :)
    And that is also the reason why it is hard for me to level my Iden oder Vader. Allways a Y-wing that has you and "know" you aren't a normal Tie-fighter. ;)

    Right, well i can do the same with my Awing or Xwing, just requires better aiming , maneuvering and strategy :smile:
    Also just as a reminder to everyone this thread is not about''nerf the Ywing cause i cant counter them''
    No
    Its about the turret which auto lock u and make your ship totally vulnerable for a long duration.
    Taking down a ywing in 1v1 not a problem but as i mentioned in the thread there are situations when u cant do anything .
    As an example having a fight between Luke and Iden, while an Ywing player farming the turrets close to you, not even noticing you but the ioncannon autolock your ship.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Why are your replies so tart? In your first response you were peevish (à la ‘Yes I know how to do that thank you very much’) so I went back and read my tip/comments. From that I wondered why you come across as hurt. My response was measured, general, and not a personal attack on you. But your snappish replies seem to have taken it so.

    I’m not a ‘lad’ and would appreciate not being called one. Apart from being a woman, I’m also - I suspect - much, much older than you’d expect. And yes I used the phrase ‘my advice’ and am a dunce for not getting it right, silly me; I keep forgetting netiquette demands courtroom accuracy.

    Yes, I’m on PS4. I’m not sure how that relates to the content of my posts. But I’ll ignore whatever implications you’re making because I get the sense you have to win everything; I’d be even more foolish than I already look wasting my time arguing with you. Apart from that, I refuse to get into a battle of wits with someone so woefully unarmed.

    So with that said,.. The auto-lock is a pain and I’d agree it can offer free kills against inexperienced players. With the upgrade card for Ions you really do have a long wait before they quit. The thing is the turret is hopeless if you fly below the ship or perpendicular above. That it what I was referring to when saying it’s easy to evade.

    Not sure if you’ve played much Hero Starfighters mode but the usual thing there from a lot of LS players is to respawn in a y-wing if they get killed. The Y’s are then going to beeline for any DS hero ships and spam that turret. You realise pretty early on - or at least I did - that you have to develop specific skills to avoid them. To have three Y’s on you all trying to hit you with turret spam is devastating but you can get out of trouble unless your health was really low.

    Mostly it’s situational awareness and to that end I’m constantly hitting the rear view button. Not sure what that is on PC or Xbox but I wouldn’t be the ace I am in sfa without it. Then there are maps like Fondor, Endor, and uncharted space where if I player falls to a Y turret then they deserve to; with all that cover to break lock, shaking a pesky Y is simple.

    Don’t forget the Arc170 and FO/TIE In have rear gunners which autotrack so can be just as annoying as a Y. Sure they don’t freeze you out but if sobethjbg happened to the Y I’d be fearful they’d start messing with them.

    @Gold_Cpt_Vander I recall a bit of a struggle with levelling Iden. I think she has some/a health card which I found very helpful in getting me levelled up. I’m unable to check at the mo but I found that past a certain stage, Iden becomes devastating in purple.

    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?

    Finally on a related note: yesterday I played The Ryloth SFA. I spawned in as a Y, headed towards the tractors etc. After about thirty seconds I was dead. Rinse repeat x2 before I realised no one but me - and I mean no one was hitting the obj target. The match ended before we even got to phase 2. In that regard, I think the players are to blame more than the build. Just as in the other modes, players do what they want: if it’s kilkstreaks they’ll do that instead of obj play, if it’s hiding at the back as a specialist sniping, they’ll do that; sadly if they want to use the Y to take out the heroes for mileposts they’ll do that. I suspect therefore that even with turret tweaks, a few weeks into the patch, players would have found a way to make the Ions irritating again.

    None of the above is fact, nor is it intended to inflame anyone. It’s all just my opinion and experience gathered by not dying to Ion auto track.

    pH
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?
    pH
    They have meddled in the mode and it was a bad move. SFA was created by Criterion Games.

    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?
    pH
    They have meddled in the mode and it was a bad move. SFA was created by Criterion Games.

    I thought as much. I'd be devastated if they fiddled with this mode and spoilt it. I've mained SFA from day one - even in old BF2105 and the PS2 versions I favoured piloting over anything else. I can imagine them meddling with the Ion and it becoming a peashooter.
  • Seronax
    471 posts Member
    edited February 11
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Why are your replies so tart? In your first response you were peevish (à la ‘Yes I know how to do that thank you very much’) so I went back and read my tip/comments. From that I wondered why you come across as hurt. My response was measured, general, and not a personal attack on you. But your snappish replies seem to have taken it so.

    I’m not a ‘lad’ and would appreciate not being called one. Apart from being a woman, I’m also - I suspect - much, much older than you’d expect. And yes I used the phrase ‘my advice’ and am a dunce for not getting it right, silly me; I keep forgetting netiquette demands courtroom accuracy.

    Yes, I’m on PS4. I’m not sure how that relates to the content of my posts. But I’ll ignore whatever implications you’re making because I get the sense you have to win everything; I’d be even more foolish than I already look wasting my time arguing with you. Apart from that, I refuse to get into a battle of wits with someone so woefully unarmed.

    So with that said,.. The auto-lock is a pain and I’d agree it can offer free kills against inexperienced players. With the upgrade card for Ions you really do have a long wait before they quit. The thing is the turret is hopeless if you fly below the ship or perpendicular above. That it what I was referring to when saying it’s easy to evade.

    Not sure if you’ve played much Hero Starfighters mode but the usual thing there from a lot of LS players is to respawn in a y-wing if they get killed. The Y’s are then going to beeline for any DS hero ships and spam that turret. You realise pretty early on - or at least I did - that you have to develop specific skills to avoid them. To have three Y’s on you all trying to hit you with turret spam is devastating but you can get out of trouble unless your health was really low.

    Mostly it’s situational awareness and to that end I’m constantly hitting the rear view button. Not sure what that is on PC or Xbox but I wouldn’t be the ace I am in sfa without it. Then there are maps like Fondor, Endor, and uncharted space where if I player falls to a Y turret then they deserve to; with all that cover to break lock, shaking a pesky Y is simple.

    Don’t forget the Arc170 and FO/TIE In have rear gunners which autotrack so can be just as annoying as a Y. Sure they don’t freeze you out but if sobethjbg happened to the Y I’d be fearful they’d start messing with them.

    @Gold_Cpt_Vander I recall a bit of a struggle with levelling Iden. I think she has some/a health card which I found very helpful in getting me levelled up. I’m unable to check at the mo but I found that past a certain stage, Iden becomes devastating in purple.

    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?

    Finally on a related note: yesterday I played The Ryloth SFA. I spawned in as a Y, headed towards the tractors etc. After about thirty seconds I was dead. Rinse repeat x2 before I realised no one but me - and I mean no one was hitting the obj target. The match ended before we even got to phase 2. In that regard, I think the players are to blame more than the build. Just as in the other modes, players do what they want: if it’s kilkstreaks they’ll do that instead of obj play, if it’s hiding at the back as a specialist sniping, they’ll do that; sadly if they want to use the Y to take out the heroes for mileposts they’ll do that. I suspect therefore that even with turret tweaks, a few weeks into the patch, players would have found a way to make the Ions irritating again.

    None of the above is fact, nor is it intended to inflame anyone. It’s all just my opinion and experience gathered by not dying to Ion auto track.

    pH

    8j91fzerglm2.gif

    The reason why i said u are a PS player cause u have clearly no idea about me...which is impossible if u are playing SA often...only if u are on a different platform just as i expected.

    ARC170 turret doesnt make u stop in"midair"and make you unable to use any abilites of yours...So yea not annoying...not at all.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?
    pH
    They have meddled in the mode and it was a bad move. SFA was created by Criterion Games.

    Yea i agree on that...whenever they touched they just made it worse, still good enough thanks to Criterion <3 Actually recenlty Dice did visit Criterion Games, which may be good a news to us! Maybe maps, some tweaks, hitbox fixes...who knows but looking forward to it.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

  • Seronax wrote: »
    Rook008 wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Also, would the devs be even able to meddle in the mode? Didn’t another company build this mode?
    pH
    They have meddled in the mode and it was a bad move. SFA was created by Criterion Games.

    Yea i agree on that...whenever they touched they just made it worse, still good enough thanks to Criterion <3 Actually recenlty Dice did visit Criterion Games, which may be good a news to us! Maybe maps, some tweaks, hitbox fixes...who knows but looking forward to it.

    I doubt we'll get any more content but I will be there with a banner and champagne for any more material we do get.

    Personally I wish SFA had never been part of this game, and Criterion had beeng given license to make a separate game only for SFs. I'd never need to visit these boards, to get my head around tweaks, what works and what doesn't.

    Nor deal with inscrutable gifs

    pH
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!