criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

No Good Reason To NOT Give Darth Maul A Block

Prev13
I just wish the community would have STANDARDS, and stop accepting this ....... that we’re being fed.

Blocking is a STANDARD for lightsaber heroes
Even Grievous who isn’t force sensitive, should be able to deflect blaster fire normally but in an extremely limited capacity, since his cybernetics allow him to achieve feats far beyond that of any human
This is the first Star Wars game I’ve ever played or heard of where someone in the game with a lightsaber couldn’t block.
It makes no sense.
Every lightsaber hero should have base attributes that are standard and abilities and uniqueness should be implemented from there
Taking away a standard ability such as blocking should not even be considered as an option

The sad truth is
Maul is not unique
Everyone can do what Maul can do
When you press the block button with Maul, he dashes. Everyone can dash.
He has two buttons that do the same thing. Dash.

Luke, Yoda, Maul can dash.

Luke’s dash used to suck really bad but they improved it noticeably not too long ago.
Now it’s decent. Still inferior to Maul and Yoda’s but not by so much

Yoda’s dash is a little bit slower than Maul’s but Yoda is small and can break blocks with it.
Therefore I’d say their dashes are about equal since Maul’s is faster and more fluid but doesn’t break block.
So Darth Maul’s dash isn’t really unique

His choke is a hybrid of Luke’s push and Vader’s choke.
And it’s less useful than both.
It does chip damage and is only really good for cheesy victories that have no honor

Now for his Saber throw
Honestly there’s only ever been two things wrong with his saber throw...

The first and most prominent thing that’s been around since launch is the fact that his saber couldn’t come in contact with anything or else it would deactivate, ending the throw prematurely.
The saber is supposed to go out and return every time

This made it virtually impossible to use it in hallways or semi-congested areas since it would deactivate upon contact with the tiniest thing, unlike Vader’s version
Thus it was mostly only good for short range kills...

The second thing is when the game was updated earlier this year and a new bug came along that made his throw extremely inconsistent
It would work sometimes but since the hit box for his throw is microscopic to begin with, it felt even worse with the bug to most people so many just assumed that it was completely broken.

One thing that Vader’s throw has always had over Maul’s until recently is that it wouldn’t deactivate upon contact with minor obstacles or surfaces
They just fixed that problem for Maul and now you can consistently chuck his lightsaber down hallways as you could Vader’s
But the hit box for Maul’s throw is and always has been microscopic
So getting kills with his throw at range can be difficult and takes skill, even with it currently working properly
(I know how to use his throw and have plenty of footage of me getting kills and hit confirms with it at range and up close. Feel free to inquire about it)
Now his throw works as intended.(They wanted the hit box for his throw to very tiny for some reason)

As we all know Vader also has a throw.
His is indisputably far better than Maul’s in every way. Even with Maul’s throw fixed

Not only is Mauls throw not unique
But it is also inferior.

They didn’t make Maul unique by taking his block away
They handicapped him
Two of his buttons do the same thing for crying out loud

And the crazy thing is
Darth Maul is supposed to be “all offense” in this game
But all of his moves and abilities are blockable.

So everyone can do something just as good as or even better than him
And
He can’t do anything better than anyone else

All of his moves can be blocked

Rey runs just as fast as him and Luke runs even faster.

You can tell that he is one of the first heros they made

Darth Maul is not unique in this game.

He shares all of his moves with other heroes
And he doesn’t excel at anything

And with all of this being said
All I’m asking is that the developers give him a weak block
It could be extremely weak, even weaker than Grievous’s
Just something would be nice.

If he were to get a weak block,
Vader and Sidious would still be far better than him hands down
Regardless.

So why deny someone so iconic a standard ability?
And can you please consider adding it?

And in case anyone wanted to say 'git gud’ here is a video showcasing how gud I am

Sure I can get a lot better but I don’t think I suck that bad

Replies

• It is confirmed that with the new saber combat system, Yoda will get a block. Maybe this is true for Maul as well.
  • DarthJ
    6568 posts Member
    I like how you wrote in haiku towards the end
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    It is confirmed that with the new saber combat system, Yoda will get a block. Maybe this is true for Maul as well.

Wait what? Where was this confirmed?
    Hi.
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    Draxin wrote: »
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    It is confirmed that with the new saber combat system, Yoda will get a block. Maybe this is true for Maul as well.

I forget where it was, but this was stated.

I think it was on reddit.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• I just wish the community would have STANDARDS, and stop accepting this ....... that we’re being fed.

Same, dude. Same. Take it one step further and lock Multiplayer behind a trial of sorts, so you can, to an extent, display that you have a base grasp on what you're doing. Like For Honor did. (Although that one too, was too easy.)
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • I'd be happy if they gave him Saber Block and horizontal saber throw :)
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    I like how you wrote in haiku towards the end

Crazy how I did that unintentionally
  • I just wish the community would have STANDARDS, and stop accepting this ....... that we’re being fed.

Even Grievous who isn’t force sensitive, should be able to deflect blaster fire normally but in an extremely limited capacity, since his cybernetics allow him to achieve feats far beyond that of any human
    This is the first Star Wars game I’ve ever played or heard of where someone in the game with a lightsaber couldn’t block.
    It makes no sense.
    Every lightsaber hero should have base attributes that are standard and abilities and uniqueness should be implemented from there
    Taking away a standard ability such as blocking should not even be considered as an option

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Luke’s dash used to suck really bad but they improved it noticeably not too long ago.

Yoda’s dash is a little bit slower than Maul’s but Yoda is small and can break blocks with it.
    Therefore I’d say their dashes are about equal since Maul’s is faster and more fluid but doesn’t break block.

It does chip damage and is only really good for cheesy victories that have no honor

Now for his Saber throw

The first and most prominent thing that’s been around since launch is the fact that his saber couldn’t come in contact with anything or else it would deactivate, ending the throw prematurely.

This made it virtually impossible to use it in hallways or semi-congested areas since it would deactivate upon contact with the tiniest thing, unlike Vader’s version

The second thing is when the game was updated earlier this year and a new bug came along that made his throw extremely inconsistent
    It would work sometimes but since the hit box for his throw is microscopic to begin with, it felt even worse with the bug to most people so many just assumed that it was completely broken.

One thing that Vader’s throw has always had over Maul’s until recently is that it wouldn’t deactivate upon contact with minor obstacles or surfaces
    They just fixed that problem for Maul and now you can consistently chuck his lightsaber down hallways as you could Vader’s
    So getting kills with his throw at range can be difficult and takes skill, even with it currently working properly
    (I know how to use his throw and have plenty of footage of me getting kills and hit confirms with it at range and up close. Feel free to inquire about it)
    Now his throw works as intended.(They wanted the hit box for his throw to very tiny for some reason)

His is indisputably far better than Maul’s in every way. Even with Maul’s throw fixed

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

And in case anyone wanted to say 'git gud’ here is a video showcasing how gud I am

Okay so let me get this straight. You went on a lovely and skillful 60 odd killstreak with maul.

Others in the community have managed 140 odd killstreaks with him... and you wanna give him a block.

He can cover huge distances lightning quick... he is probably the easiest villain to play as in GA.

And you wanna give him a block.

Sounds like you're just wanting to farm people all game to me.

May I suggest you try onslaught set on extreme intensity, expert difficulty and with 999 to kill.

That way you can turn on triple health, speed recharge on abilities and kill to your hearts content.

Think about when you come up against an experienced maul player as a poor little assault trooper having to use 3 or 4 spawns to hunt him with vanguard till you get some revenge... would you like to have that maul be even more dangerous?

Don't be silly. His speed and health on kill make up for lack of block.

A block for Maul is needed for Heroes modes not for Galactic Assault where he is already one of the best heroes. A block wouldn't make him better in GA but only in Heroes vs Villains where indeed he need one. If they add a block for Yoda (that is confirmed) will have sense if they add a block for Maul.

Yes, here on the forum, in a thread named ''Yoda'' F8RGE confirm that with the new saber combat system, Yoda will get a block against sabers. So i hope that the same is true for Maul.
    I just wish the community would have STANDARDS, and stop accepting this ....... that we’re being fed.

It makes no sense.

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Now for his Saber throw

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

Okay so let me get this straight. You went on a lovely and skillful 60 odd killstreak with maul.

Others in the community have managed 140 odd killstreaks with him... and you wanna give him a block.

He can cover huge distances lightning quick... he is probably the easiest villain to play as in GA.

May I suggest you try onslaught set on extreme intensity, expert difficulty and with 999 to kill.

That way you can turn on triple health, speed recharge on abilities and kill to your hearts content.

Think about when you come up against an experienced maul player as a poor little assault trooper having to use 3 or 4 spawns to hunt him with vanguard till you get some revenge... would you like to have that maul be even more dangerous?

A block for Maul is needed for Heroes modes not for Galactic Assault where he is already one of the best heroes. A block wouldn't make him better in GA but only in Heroes vs Villains where indeed he need one. If they add a block for Yoda (that is confirmed) will have sense if they add a block for Maul.

Yes, here on the forum, in a thread named ''Yoda'' F8RGE confirm that with the new saber combat system, Yoda will get a block against sabers. So i hope that the same is true for Maul.

I'm truly glad they've decided to give Yoda an actual defense against saberists.
    Hi.
  • Then why not give Palpatine his block back from the last game. :relieved:
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements
    Heroes vs Villains Improvements
    4th Ability Concept - Yoda

1j58fmke3evs.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮
    𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘯, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰 𝘢𝘴 𝘐 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘖𝘬𝘢𝘺? ❞
    - Leia Organa

• Of course a block would make maul stronger in GA what are you thinking.

It would allow him more time stood still to decide what the best route to clean the room is...

It's not needed. If he keeps on the move and you play smart there's no need for a block.

And in HVV you're supposed to play as a team and maul should be the one who dashes in does some damage dashes out. He's not supposed to be a tank.

It makes no sense.

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Now for his Saber throw

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

Did he confirm it though ? I could be wrong, however I was thinking f8rge said they’d be looking into it
    PSN: DarthLando-

It makes no sense.

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Now for his Saber throw

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

I could be wrong, however I thought he said they’d look into it
  • Maul will always be much faster than Yoda, and with no stamina. If Yoda gets one that doesn't mean Maul should.
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    We need to see the new saber cs before they start making changes.

h846398gb27k.png

I just searched for this thread and can't find it - can you post a link so I can see this for myself. Thanks!
  • You sold me on it.
  • Okay this is what F8RGE actually said about adding a Yoda block:
    "We are investigating a block for Yoda. No time frame on this right now though. Is part of our wider look at improving Lightsaber combat."

Here is the comment (in a thread called "Dooku"):
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1308389#Comment_1308389

• He can’t do anything better than anyone else
    Can't he pick up five enemies and throw them off the edge? I don't think anyone else can do that, so in my opinion, that's why he can't block. Also because some people consider him to be easily the coolest looking villain in the Prequel Era, so it's possible the devs thought that many people would choose him strictly for that reason, and might NOT choose him strictly because of his lack of block. I dunno, I think he's awesome, and even without block I think he's a top tier villain. I just think he's super easy to play as, and I'm average at best. If he could block, I think he would be too difficult to destroy.

"I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Okay this is what F8RGE actually said about adding a Yoda block:
    "We are investigating a block for Yoda. No time frame on this right now though. Is part of our wider look at improving Lightsaber combat."

Here is the comment (in a thread called "Dooku"):
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1308389#Comment_1308389

Yeah that’s what I was thinking.

Looking into it, not confirmed
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    Can't he pick up five enemies and throw them off the edge? I don't think anyone else can do that, so in my opinion, that's why he can't block. Also because some people consider him to be easily the coolest looking villain in the Prequel Era, so it's possible the devs thought that many people would choose him strictly for that reason, and might NOT choose him strictly because of his lack of block. I dunno, I think he's awesome, and even without block I think he's a top tier villain. I just think he's super easy to play as, and I'm average at best. If he could block, I think he would be too difficult to destroy.

His lack of a block has never held me back. I still find him the most fun ds hero to use.
    It is a simple play style preference, I'm not claiming he is the best all around. I'd prob have to give that to Bossk, he is effective at every range.

Blocking with other heroes rarely gets me anywhere anyway since they can't be counted on to actually work.

h846398gb27k.png

• To everyone that thinks a block would make him too strong:

What if his block was weaker than Grievous’s block?
  • No....the sensation of cutting him into pieces after a RMT is too exquisite.
  • No block
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Raices
    1204 posts Member
    I would prefer to give him a block breaking ability instead, his saber throw should go through blocks.

• No block.
    Raices wrote: »
    I would prefer to give him a block breaking ability instead, his saber throw should go through blocks.
    Solid idea here.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • bfloo wrote: »

His lack of a block has never held me back. I still find him the most fun ds hero to use.
    It is a simple play style preference, I'm not claiming he is the best all around. I'd prob have to give that to Bossk, he is effective at every range.

Blocking with other heroes rarely gets me anywhere anyway since they can't be counted on to actually work.

Agree on all points, even the spoiler.
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    No block.
    Raices wrote: »
    Solid idea here.

Does his dash strike break blocks? i think Yoda's does, I assume Maul's does as well.

It makes no sense.

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Now for his Saber throw

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

Can I have a link? I just remember him saying that they were investigating giving him a block.
  • As for this thread, I won't say no to a block, but if Maul gets one he will need to have stamina again.
  • He should have a block. If he came with a block a from the start no one would be whining to remove his block. A block with it's own stamina bar similar to Grevious amount while keeping his unlimited stamina while swinging. For those saying that will make him OP that's just silly. You said that with giving him a HOK card and that turned out fine.
  • only if its garbage like Grievous block but honestly he doesn't need a block and neither does Yoda.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000

• As for this thread, I won't say no to a block, but if Maul gets one he will need to have stamina again.

Stamina doesn't do anything to swinging though, so it's pretty irrelevant - although they did say that after the saber play update you won't be able to swing after running out of stamina - so who knows...
  • I'm fine with Maul having no block. I don't agree with it, but I can tolerate it. He's built around speed, not defence.

But what I can't tolerate is his awful damage output and terrible saber throw. Maul is fun to use, but outside of the fun factor, he isn't very good. He might be decent at killing infantry in GA, but that's as far as his uses go.

His Furious Throw should have its hit box near enough doubled, because it requires the most precision out of every ability in the game. If this isn't possible then the damage should be increased to 200. It's silly to me that Grievous and Dooku can slash once with their sabers and deal more damage than Maul's terrible throw.

Choke Hold damage also needs increasing to at least 100. 77 damage is pathetic and nothing to worry about for infantry or heroes.
  • hsf_
    1828 posts Member
    edited February 13
    If you don't think maul or yoda need a block then I seriously question your capacity.

You need to question your capacity if you can't play Yoda or Maul without having a blocking function. The rest of us are quite happy carrying our teams to victory without blocks.
    That's not how maul fights. Not in episode one nor in the clone wars. He doesn't run like a punk, and it's annoying having to adhere to that play style when it's functionally not maul at all.

Spends the majority of this video running away...
  • I don’t see a problem with Darth Maul having a block if:

It’s even weaker than Grievous’s block against lightsabers and blaster fire

That wouldn’t change much at all

Grievous block is inconsequential in GA against normal infantry
    The block stops him from getting ragdolled by force powers

Mauls extremely weak block would simply protect him from force powers and mindless lightsaber spammers

His power lvl in game wouldn’t change that drastically
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    You need to question your capacity if you can't play Yoda or Maul without having a blocking function. The rest of us are quite happy carrying our teams to victory without blocks.
    That's not the point, sergeant. I can play chewbacca and get a 45 kill streak in GA and win, lmao, doesn't mean the Heroes even remotely balanced for the mode. Same goes without saying with phasma. You clearly cannot grasp this basic concept and thus this debate is beyond you.
    hsf_ wrote: »

Clueless. Your only proving my point. Not only is he fighting two jedi at once, he also effortlessly and masterfully blocks and parries most of their assaults. He isn't leaping past them and leading them on a sprinting chase around the map. He isn't bunny hopping around or only attacking when he's force pushed them to the ground. If anything he's more on the defense for 60% of the fight with a impenetrable guard.

Just give me a break, with all the nonsense, It's really getting old.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • hsf_
    1828 posts Member
    edited February 13
    That's not the point, sergeant. I can play chewbacca and get a 45 kill streak in GA and win, lmao, doesn't mean the Heroes even remotely balanced for the mode. Same goes without saying with phasma. You clearly cannot grasp this basic concept and thus this debate is beyond you.

Clueless. Your only proving my point. Not only is he fighting two jedi at once, he also effortlessly and masterfully blocks and parries most of their assaults. He isn't leaping past them and leading them on a sprinting chase around the map. He isn't bunny hopping around or only attacking when he's force pushed them to the ground. If anything he's more on the defense for 60% of the fight with a impenetrable guard.

Just give me a break, with all the nonsense, It's really getting old.

You're going to compare Maul to Chewy and Phasma, which dimension are you currently living in? Ok I'll play your little game.

When you play with Chewy or Phasma, are you playing from range, or are you meleeing everyone? I assume that you're not a total pleb and you play at range, which is called "playing to their strengths". Maul is an assassin style villain, he requires more than button mashing to win. Yoda is a support hero who deals reasonable damage. Learn to play to their strengths.

If you don't like the way a certain hero/villain plays, don't play them there are plenty more to choose from.

Edit: Just for clarification, I don't play GA ever, so my experience with heroes comes from HvV.
  • I don’t see a problem with Darth Maul having a block if:

It’s even weaker than Grievous’s block against lightsabers and blaster fire

That wouldn’t change much at all

Grievous block is inconsequential in GA against normal infantry
    The block stops him from getting ragdolled by force powers

Mauls extremely weak block would simply protect him from force powers and mindless lightsaber spammers

His power lvl in game wouldn’t change that drastically

Don't even take the weak block, it's just more groveling before the unwashed masses for really a common sense measure, and for a plethora of reasons.
    1. Maul's Force Sensitive
    2. He's a master saber duelist. He took two jedi at once and only lost when he got cocky and was basically messing around.
    3. He fights sidious 1 on 1 longer than 5 jedi council members combined.
    4. Even Jedi younglings could block blindfolded
    5. I'm not going to go on.

Rey and Luke commanding a better block than even maul and yoda is just a joke and the future released saber dueling mechanics just won't be complete with both these Heroes having an incomplete kit. It's like sword fighting with a rubber balloon. It doesn't work
    xnvLDB.gif
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    You're going to compare Maul to Chewy and Phasma, which dimension are you currently living in? Ok I'll play your little game.

When you play with Chewy or Phasma, are you playing from range, or are you meleeing everyone? I assume that you're not a total pleb and you play at range, which is called "playing to their strengths". Maul is an assassin style villain, he requires more than button mashing to win. Yoda is a support hero who deals reasonable damage. Learn to play to their strengths.
    Irrelevant. Nobody care about the play-style bro. That's not the ***** point we're making here. Again this is a reading comprehension issue and I'm not going to rehash this with you. Function does not equal balance.
    If you don't like the way a certain hero/villain plays, don't play them there are plenty more to choose from.
    Makes for a staler game when only a handful of Heroes are viable in both GA or HvV. I'd rather not play that kinda game. Get's repetitive. Sorry, but I have a higher attention span than that.
    Edit: Just for clarification, I don't play GA ever, so my experience with heroes comes from HvV.
    Hahahaha, no wonder. Ok man, I get it. Thanks for coming clean at least.
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Maul is not unique
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    I think Palpatine needs a block... the community needs to stop accepting anything less!

Palps with Lightning block FTW.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

It makes no sense.

The sad truth is
    Maul is not unique

Now for his Saber throw

But it is also inferior.

They handicapped him

And the crazy thing is

And

Regardless.

First off all Mail does not need a block. Second of all. I agree we should have standards. We should be able to dissable all PT content from the game.