criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Concerns about the new lightsaber changes...

The devs gave a brief description on what their planning to do with the saber combat, this includes... "being unable to attack when out of stamina, and no stagger when attacking a blocking hero/villan".

Personally I think being unable to attack when out of stamina will be a good change and will hopefully change the heavy attack spam currently present, and will force a more thoughtful style of play.

What worries me is the removal of the stagger mechanic since this is what enables counterplay when facing down other saber users. I think another system should take its place like a "parry" that has to be well timed and when done right will allow a counter attack.

I belive if compleatly removed (the stagger system that is) combat will just turn into turtling and both saber users dancing round eachother trying to get a backstab in.

Blocking defiantly needs looking at it seems too powerful being able to block during seemingly recovery frames when you would expect to punish when a character has been knocked down or stunned by some sort of ability.

Would love to know what you people think on this. Srry for the paragraph XD I play a lot of hvv.

Replies

• The attacker should be able to perform their full attack combo string of moves up close on a blocking hero, if there is sufficient stamina at that moment.

However, I believe that the blocker should be able to press the attack button at just the right moment and perform a counterattack, while still holding the block button. A Parry / riposte kind of thing, which swats away the attackers blade and causes them to stagger momentarily, without any knock back.

Maybe I'm just rephrasing what you have in mind? This sounds like a lot of fun. I wouldn't even mind if they were to put in some sort of Rage or combo breaker meter, inspired by formal fighting games like mortal Kombat. But that might be a little too much for the casual Heroes villains players.

• I agree and wouldn't say you were rephrasing but instead reinforcing my initial point. It seems a lot of people feel the same way about their being some sort of counter system in place for a more in depth combat look and feel.

I see where your going with the combo breaker meter and who knows could be a possible solution. Personally id like to think the combat system could more closely resemble games such as For Honor and darksouls.

It's a tough one though because when we first watched the trailer for the game the combat looked cinematic and fluid but I don't think that look and feel will ever be achieved and it be a balanced and viable combat system.
  • bfloo
    14055 posts Member
    I'm worried this is going to put saber users at a bigger disadvantage to blasters.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    I'm worried this is going to put saber users at a bigger disadvantage to blasters.

all they have to do is make it so that stamina only drains faster when blocking another lightsaber. Blocking blaster fire could mean far less drain. Also, swinging against the blocking lightsaber could drain more stamina than swinging in thin air. That way you don't run out of stamina too fast against rolling blaster troopers.
  • bfloo
    14055 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

all they have to do is make it so that stamina only drains faster when blocking another lightsaber. Blocking blaster fire could mean far less drain. Also, swinging against the blocking lightsaber could drain more stamina than swinging in thin air. That way you don't run out of stamina too fast against rolling blaster troopers.

I'm sure they can make it work, but did they...
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

I'm sure they can make it work, but did they...

Well, stamina is a fairly easy parameter that they can adjust. I'm confident that they can get that working. I think we have to accept that there will always be bugs in this game. They just don't have enough people anymore to fully debug it. But I can live with a few quirks here and there.

it's mostly the tractor beam effect and stun effect of the lightsaber strikes that are driving me crazy. They both get amplified horribly by any latency on the server.
  • Mcnally98 wrote: »
    I agree and wouldn't say you were rephrasing but instead reinforcing my initial point. It seems a lot of people feel the same way about their being some sort of counter system in place for a more in depth combat look and feel.

I see where your going with the combo breaker meter and who knows could be a possible solution. Personally id like to think the combat system could more closely resemble games such as For Honor and darksouls.

It's a tough one though because when we first watched the trailer for the game the combat looked cinematic and fluid but I don't think that look and feel will ever be achieved and it be a balanced and viable combat system.

At least i hope they add some sort of developed mechanism of the one they had with vader and Luke in BF2015, because if they added a very good developed one, of those, that would also make the lightsaber battles more interesting, i just can't remebmer when they said we would get news about it, wasn't it, here in FEB or in March... uhm can't remember.
  • sharkman781
    130 posts Member
    edited February 24
    The attacker should be able to perform their full attack combo string of moves up close on a blocking hero, if there is sufficient stamina at that moment.

However, I believe that the blocker should be able to press the attack button at just the right moment and perform a counterattack, while still holding the block button. A Parry / riposte kind of thing, which swats away the attackers blade and causes them to stagger momentarily, without any knock back.

Maybe I'm just rephrasing what you have in mind? This sounds like a lot of fun. I wouldn't even mind if they were to put in some sort of Rage or combo breaker meter, inspired by formal fighting games like mortal Kombat. But that might be a little too much for the casual Heroes villains players.

i love where this is heading for dueling as for the counter for blasters i was thinking adding lightsaber forms to the game and auto deflect for jedi/sith. the auto deflect would be perfect from far away and while facing a single shooter and become less effective as you get closer and/or the more shooters there are. (the deflect will not cause dng at your opponent

when you hold the block button your light saber form would change based on the characters preferred fight style. example:

mater Kenobi
    not holding block. form 6 or nimen which mixes light saber and force technique attacks for fighting multiple opponents while getting recharge boost to force techniques and a boost on light saber attack (basic attacks not skills)

holding block. form 3 or soresu which emphasizes on defense. this will decrease stamina spent while blocking light saber and blaster attack

there should be a delay of 3 second between the forms so that heroes don't get the bonus too quick and force them to chose which fighting style they prefer. timed blocks will cause a parry as stated before for sabers or reflect back blasters shoots at your opponent

the skill cards would become swap abilities like for the infantry, based on the heroes abilities. i like kenobi's push that has to charge for it to go further. all force techniques should be like that.

push can be changed with pull or telekinesis

mind trick with meditation (healing) or protect (health boost)

forgot the name with something similar ( can't think of a better move for kenobi in this area because it represents him well as a defender)