criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Star Fighter issues

Just started to play SA again and it going OK but I seem to be having a few reasonable rounds between 15-25 kills as going for the objectives as best as I can, but after a few rounds I can't buy a kill for love nor money.

Plus I seem to be so much slower compared to everyone else, I realize this will be down to my cards not being as high as a lot of other players but even still it's getting a little silly at times

Are you able to move the crosshairs independently or stuck pretty much where they are?

Replies

• What gets me is how I'm jumped on immediately as a hero ship. Even if I pick one that is not easily identified. Playing empire, pick Vader or iden and am taking fire almost immediately.

Is there a trick to seeing the hero ships, even the small ones?
  • Same here, as soon as I get in a hero ship I'm set upon and relentlessly targeted and last about 30 seconds no matter what i do.
  • The targeting circles are disappearing from time to time as well
  • hsf_
    1723 posts Member
    PC or console?

PC SA you can turn much faster as you have an oversteer mechanic on the crosshair, where as on console I don't think you do.
  • When a Dark Side Bomber activates Countermeasures, his targeting circle will disappear until the ability ends. You can still land hits though. Is that what you mean? Otherwise it's just the way the game works. Sometimes, especially when turning, it takes a second for the game to project targeting circles on enemies.

Hero ships draw a lot of fire because they're usually a bigger threat, are worth more points if you destroy them, and there's a Milestone for destroying 25 of them. But as far as I know there's no trick to identifying them other than the way they look. I guess you can check the scoreboard to see who's in a Hero ship and then look for the name on enemies, but who has time for that?
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Appl3corps wrote: »
    What gets me is how I'm jumped on immediately as a hero ship. Even if I pick one that is not easily identified. Playing empire, pick Vader or iden and am taking fire almost immediately.

Is there a trick to seeing the hero ships, even the small ones?

I've seen what I like to call the "hero ship curve" when you first jump in a ship. Basically, when you first jump in, you're coming from a spawn point which draws the veterans, and depending on your teammates, you'll have a bunch of enemies in the "main battle corridor." Once you're halfway decent, and you can rack up kills with a hero ship, you can clear out the corridor and send enemies back to the spawn, so they're easier to defeat as they're coming back in. So the "hero ship curve" basically states that you have a higher chance of being killed within 20-30 seconds of spawn, but once you get passed that, you have a higher survivability (assuming you have a little skill). Long-term survivability is magnified depending on the hero ship.

Poe/Luke have astromechs which heal, GREAT for long-term. Poe's color scheme gives him away immediately, whereas Luke blends in better, but his flight controls are a little more "hinky". Yoda has a passive regeneration boost with one of his star cards but is easily identifiable. All the Falcons are tail magnets, but Rey/Chewie has a pretty decent health-buff mechanic. Tallie has speed and agility, but that's about it, low long-term survivability. She gets a little boost from blending in with other A-Wings, but the color is a dead giveaway, and it doesn't help on PT maps.

DS is more of a skill side, but their weapons are overpowered to compensate. Kylo plays a lot like Tallie. Maul was great before they nerfed the heal while cloaked, so now he's truly a glass cannon. Iden and Vader have the "hiding in plain sight" thing going for them, but that can be both good and bad, as you can get taken for an easy mark rather frequently, but you don't grab the tails like Boba or Maul. Boba has no heals, but he's great for wiping tails with his seismic and his ion cannon is great if you have teammates that can wipe up the crumbs.

Certain maps are better for certain heroes as well, I find Tallie and Poe to be better on D'Qar, and I've had the most luck with Boba on Ryloth. Kylo and the Falcons seem to be better on Fondor. Yoda and Maul do better on Kamino.

Finally, play style is important as well. I started by being extra defensive, because I didn't want to "waste a hard-earned hero" but it seems that a defensive play style helps you pick up try hard tails (not gonna lie, I'm a try hard tail when I see a hero ship, no matter where). I've learned to be very aggressive with hero ships, staying "in the mix" as often as possible, to help wipe tails, and to give myself the best chance of taking out enemies, which helps survivability over the long haul. Always keep your eyes open for the next ship to go after, lest they come after you first ;)

TL;DR - I do what works for me, figure out what works for you.
  • ^thanks for the tips. I play a lot and it can be situational. It's just frustrating when I feel I have a big arrow on me as a hero ship, especially the smaller ones. I'll practice with your tips. THANKS!
  • Learn immellman turns and how to skim cover.

Don't fire unless you're gonna hit.

Free fire missiles at static targets

Also a cheeky free fire on a **** flying straight at you at close range can deal with him easily.

As Poe it's all about high damage output always on the attack with Poe his aim assist is insane.

With Tallie you have to he always flying fast and keeping near cover.

Falcons don't bother unless on fondor and play objective hard.

Boba has an art alot of people get off one or two seismic charges then die. It's all about using slave 1s center of gravity to your advantage to evade and attack at the same time.

Vader is all speed and high damage output he can basically fire forever when maxed out.

Kylo is hit and run. He will kill quick but he goes down quick if you don't get back to friends.

As for maul. Stay near cover so you can go invisible get away from the battle and then come visible again well away from everyone to regain health. Then when you get back to battle you'll have another cloak ready to go. Oh and remember. You're cloaked but not entirely invisible and if someone is good like me. They will lead their shots and still get you.

Just keep plugging away.
  • Learn immellman turns and how to skim cover.

I use these all the time, never knew what they were called ;) Barrel rolls work great when catching people out of spawn too.
  • G_Funk24 wrote: »
    Just started to play SA again and it going OK but I seem to be having a few reasonable rounds between 15-25 kills as going for the objectives as best as I can, but after a few rounds I can't buy a kill for love nor money.

Plus I seem to be so much slower compared to everyone else, I realize this will be down to my cards not being as high as a lot of other players but even still it's getting a little silly at times

Are you able to move the crosshairs independently or stuck pretty much where they are?

SA all about Practice Practice Practice. Yea Cards can highly effect your turnrate but its only"unfair"if u are trying to dogfight with someone.

Sometimes i challenge myself to not using any cards or turning the HUD off etc. Cards have bigger impact on heroships than regulars for sure.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• No HUD is the real challenge. I have dabbled back in the day. Doesnt even tell you who's ai and who is human.

It's fun though and I still managed to top the game i was in.