criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Seriously, why no Droideka?

I know the "new reinforcements" will not include a Droideka. And let's put aside for now the fact that they somehow managed to get people's hopes up about the Droideka TWICE now before deconfirming each time.

I'm genuinely baffled. They had Droideka in the 2005 Pandemic Battlefront. They rolled, converted, had shields, did their wobbly walk. They worked fine. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. What possible reason is there, really, for not having them now?

Replies

• Starwarsfanboosk_com
    1274 posts Member
    edited February 16
    The same reason they took an ENTIRE YEAR(or more?) to add a game mode with 1/3 of the eras.

They're either understaffed and receiving close to 0 financial support or they simply don't care.
  • Why no playable Ewoks on Endor maps? That’s the real question we need answers to.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • They are no match for droidekas!

1bfioawlu399.png
  • Master, destroyers!
  • environmental clutter that's what they say
  • TjPunx
    1531 posts Member
    Not needed. Just clutter. No more CW content
  • They said something about difficulties in textures and animations, my bet is they have troubles with the transformation, because it would have to be like fitting two characters in one, not an expert though.
  • If they did, they would have to change the whole game. Why? Because on the films the Droideka fires through its shields like a starfighter. No ground unit on this game can fire through shields. Unless of course, its only the tips of the droidekas canons stick out from the shields. But you would probably see more complaining over them than Palpatine as for being op.
  • Too much dakka? :disappointed:
  • hsf_
    1817 posts Member
    Because that would be giving the community something they want.
  • Given the physics of high speed vehicles in tight spaces, its probably better they're not in. Especially if they would add them, and have to spend X more months trying to get the to function correctly or balance them.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • They look too similar to crashed speeders
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • hsf_
    1817 posts Member
    edited February 16
    Given the physics of high speed vehicles in tight spaces, its probably better they're not in. Especially if they would add them, and have to spend X more months trying to get the to function correctly or balance them.

I know what you mean, with the speeders they're so clunky and horrible to manouver, but Droidekas wouldn't need to move like the speeders. Even when rolling they shouldn't have the same mechanics as speeders, they should have their own mechanic built from the ground up.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    I know the "new reinforcements" will not include a Droideka. And let's put aside for now the fact that they somehow managed to get people's hopes up about the Droideka TWICE now before deconfirming each time.

I'm genuinely baffled. They had Droideka in the 2005 Pandemic Battlefront. They rolled, converted, had shields, did their wobbly walk. They worked fine. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. What possible reason is there, really, for not having them now?

It's possible they're afraid it'd be a balancing nightmare somehow. Droidekas are pretty strong, maybe they feel it necessary to create a counter for them?

Which is a shame. The reinforcement-based system they made for the game is PERFECT for the droids that aren't quite vehicles, but aren't quite infantry either(such as the dwarf spider-droid and the crab droid).
    PRIORITY LISTS
    HEROES:
    Commander Cody - the Empire has Iden, the First Order has Phasma. Give us a soldier-based hero for the Republic!
    GA MAPS
    Utapau
    Mygeeto
  • JackTHorn wrote: »

It's possible they're afraid it'd be a balancing nightmare somehow. Droidekas are pretty strong, maybe they feel it necessary to create a counter for them?

Which is a shame. The reinforcement-based system they made for the game is PERFECT for the droids that aren't quite vehicles, but aren't quite infantry either(such as the dwarf spider-droid and the crab droid).

wouldn't even be hard to balance like at all they are extremely vulnerable while rolling around and it takes them a bit of time to come out of ball form and they are also fairly vulnerable while standing up and walking around even with there shield up sense they walk around really slowly and have a turn rate thats near the level of when your hit by Reys mind trick and dont even get me started on ion weapons.

ball form pros and cons:

pros: extremely mobile and probably pretty strong at flanking and catching people off gaurd though if they are easy to hear you could probably react in time to save yourself and they can also keep up with some of the more mobile heroes and villains witch would make them both good at hunting them and protecting them.

cons: absolutely defenseless sense you have no means of defending yourself while in ball form and even coming out of it is really slow.

just walking around shield up and all:

pros: high damage and fairly tanky with the shield up would be pretty good when attacking or defending choke points

cons: walks extremely slow and also has a very slow turn rate would be a death sentence if you gotta flanked by pretty much anything if you dont have a teammate to come save you also ion weapons would absolutely demolish the shield.

wouldn't be hard to balance at all just base it off the old battlefront games and your good to go.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • It's one of the things that ruined SW. Why would anyone want to work on that?
  • we need to keep spaming these threads until they add droidekas to the game the more I think about it the more amazing and fun I think they would be.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • Probably the difficulty of making the animations for them rolling up into a ball and difficulties getting them to navigate the maps properly since they can't jump to get over even the tiniest of environmental obstacles, if I had to guess.
  • We cant have them because Droidekas are fun and make sense as a reinforcement.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    Given the physics of high speed vehicles in tight spaces, its probably better they're not in. Especially if they would add them, and have to spend X more months trying to get the to function correctly or balance them.

I know what you mean, with the speeders they're so clunky and horrible to manouver, but Droidekas wouldn't need to move like the speeders. Even when rolling they shouldn't have the same mechanics as speeders, they should have their own mechanic built from the ground up.

I cant imagine their rolling maneuverability would work particularly well with stairs, like the Kashyyyk juggernauts.
  • hsf_ wrote: »

I cant imagine their rolling maneuverability would work particularly well with stairs, like the Kashyyyk juggernauts.

Do you think the infantry actually run up individual stairs? The staircases are more like ramps. As long as they had a jump feature like normal infantry when rolling they'd be fine.
  • There must be some reason why they are not in this game. Maybe its a licensing issue? I don't think its a matter of programming and animating them. I also don't necessarily think its a balancing thing either. Because it could be made twice as expensive as a hero, and no more then two a map and at a time, and no matter how OP it is after awhile the objective would soon turn into to just take them down, and with everyone concentrating on them they could not last forever. Shield or no shield.

If and when they ever can put them in here I can see obviously one of the moves being the roll and it would be similar to Grievous claw rush but can travel much further. And then the next would be shield deploy, it would obviously be a very strong shield (but can only take a single blast from a naboo starfighter? check TPM) but only a limited time, and lastly the super dual cannons which are weaker than the ability cannons on a MTT but have a longer duration. An outside of that? Thats all these things would have. Very slow and cumbersome moving around when not using the roll rush (see what I did there?). Perhaps they aren't really even worth putting them in when you weigh all those things and possibly could throw off balance.
  • SWymsa wrote: »
    hsf_ wrote: »

Do you think the infantry actually run up individual stairs? The staircases are more like ramps. As long as they had a jump feature like normal infantry when rolling they'd be fine.

Marble madness?

5624-marble-madness-pc-booter-front-cover.jpg
  • CarapaceonMenace
    2042 posts Member
    edited February 17
    SWymsa wrote: »
    hsf_ wrote: »

No, I dont think they run up individual stairs; I dont know why you think that's the issue. But I recall the droidekas from BF II 2005 who had serious trouble in tight spaces (mostly stairways) while rolling and almost every vehicle in this game has atrocious clunky movements in tight spaces.....I imagine it'll be a long while that the devs would develop a droideka rolling model that isnt terrible.

And then theres the question if their standing mode, bubble shield and bulky nature would be a hindrance to their allies in tight spaces.

Its not that I dont want them in, but the likelyhood of having something that's not a POS to play as doesnt seem very high.......for now.
  • Droideka still aren't in the game because the problem is the money.

Same with maps and new weapons.

EA swindled us with the free DLCs.

1bfioawlu399.png
  • Balancing is not really an issue, ion weapons/grenades are there for a reason.
  • Billkwando
    1742 posts Member
    edited February 17
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    They had Droideka in the 2005 Pandemic Battlefront. They rolled, converted, had shields, did their wobbly walk. They worked fine. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. What possible reason is there, really, for not having them now?

Well, there goes my only guess why not. That's crazy, wow.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.