criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Accuracy and perceptual focus

It occurs to me that a lot of the arguments here and elsewhere about authenticity may come down to just one factor: Perception. Or perhaps better phrased, perceptual focus.

Now I know, that sounds obvious. People have different perspectives and perceptions of things. But I don't mean just that people disagree about specific ideas or concepts, like whether accuracy is important or not. (Though of course they do disagree about those things.) What I'm talking about, though, is different than that. I'm talking about what people notice in the first place.

I was reading the responses of the people who don't think mixed phases are a big deal, just as I've read the responses in other threads on other topics that are similar. In many cases, it's the same people, saying the same things.

Certain phrases really stuck with me this time, maybe because I'd seen them so many times over the past year on so many topics. People saying, "You can hardly notice it, it's no big deal." People saying, "If accuracy matters so much to you, just pick an accurate skin for your character and you'll be fine, stop worrying about what other people are doing."

Personally, while I do notice some details about my character while I play and I do like to have a skin on my character that looks good to me, what I really notice most of the time is the details in my environment. The terrain and the other players around me. I'd say it's around 30/70, but I mainly notice the other players more than I notice myself.

So when I see something that isn't accurate or doesn't fit, it stands out to me, grates on me. It makes it hard for me to enjoy the game. I'm right there, I'm in it, I'm a clone trooper fighting in the Battle of Geonosis... but then Kylo Ren appears, or Luke shows up in the sweltering desert wearing arctic gear, or I realize that the Clones around me are from five different legions and two different phases. And I'm yanked right out of things, irritated, pulled back into remembering this is just some dumb game.

Replies

  • Darth_Vapor3
    3661 posts Member
    edited February 21
    All of this is lost in this game. Perhaps a future rendition will have the multitude of cosmetic options available while remaining contextually accurate. Going forward, there will always be modes where heroes from across Star Wars can have “What If...” battles, but there should also be modes where authenticity is not compromised. Look at all the skins that other games have. By comparison, this game is a crying shame. If the loot boxes had been just for cosmetics, maybe things would have been different. No matter... Any and all hope for these concerns are in a future game.
  • I don't know, I see your point, and would it have been a huge difference I would agree with you too, but really in fact most legions only switch a helmet between phases, it's not that much of a game changer, I too don't like era inaccuracy, but it's not that dumb having it. Well it is dumb, but not as a decision, and I am inclined to follow that line of thought. The way I deal with it is going canon every way I can and ignoring the rest, it's not a solution but I hope maybe it will help some of you, but I don't feel like calling out to the devs for this decision, because it does make sense in my opinion, and I am sure it pleases at least the same amount of people it triggers. What else can I say, I loved the era accurate event and the fact it limited to 2 heroes per side at any time, and I love having the right legion from the right phase in the right context, but I accept some people don't care, and don't feel like taking away from them, considering this is indeed more content that was available before.
  • More content meaning double the customization options for any map
  • I remember first time I played I hated heroes splattered all over the eras and that I would have preferred a more accurate game. Then after some time I actually enjoyed it nonetheless, and started seeing it more of a playground than a serious star wars game(maybe it's because I am a sequel hater and don't take seriously stuff that includes it), that is why I am not much bothered although i'd prefer something more true to the canon(I'll be honest I don't like scouts on hoth and death star officers everywhere too). That is the way it's designed, I think complaining about it goes against the spirit of the game itself, I know it's the only star wars game around, and surely it's not the one we deserve or need, but it's not and I don't think was supposed to be, accurate.
  • Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.
  • Smattonellus
    626 posts Member
    edited February 21
    Versatti wrote: »
    Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.

    One cool thing would be if every player just went for accuracy and this way nobody would be mad, most likely 8yrs old will pick the most out of place stuff though. :(
  • Versatti wrote: »
    Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.

    One cool thing would be if every player just went for accuracy and this way nobody would be mad, most likely 8yrs old will pick the most out of place stuff though. :(

    It’s immersion vs fun for the masses. The masses clearly outnumber the immersions and fun is easier to develop as Dice don’t have to consider certain rule sets which would inevitably create more for them to develop. e.g. twice as many heroes at launch.
  • Versatti wrote: »
    Versatti wrote: »
    Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.

    One cool thing would be if every player just went for accuracy and this way nobody would be mad, most likely 8yrs old will pick the most out of place stuff though. :(

    It’s immersion vs fun for the masses. The masses clearly outnumber the immersions and fun is easier to develop as Dice don’t have to consider certain rule sets which would inevitably create more for them to develop. e.g. twice as many heroes at launch.

    The ones spouting "it's more fun" are the same ones saying "it's no big deal" or "I don't really care." So why listen to them?
    The weirdest thing about the whole thing (which is the main problem of the game anyway), is that no one asked for mixing the clone armour phases, but now that they are here people are so ademently defending it and any criticism is mute, "you're just a bunch of crybabies", "it's only a game", "It'll be fun, this game isn't 100% canon anyway", etc.
  • Smattonellus
    626 posts Member
    edited February 21
    Versatti wrote: »
    Versatti wrote: »
    Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.

    One cool thing would be if every player just went for accuracy and this way nobody would be mad, most likely 8yrs old will pick the most out of place stuff though. :(

    It’s immersion vs fun for the masses. The masses clearly outnumber the immersions and fun is easier to develop as Dice don’t have to consider certain rule sets which would inevitably create more for them to develop. e.g. twice as many heroes at launch.

    Yeah, that's what I meant in my other post, I understand the reason they did it and I agree with it, don't mean I like it though. This is about convenience, having era accuracy would have meant more content/work. Splitting phases was a quick way to please all the people asking for more personalization, for more skins, and for a way to dump credits, and about saturating the market.... Now there is really a lot going for it, but that's positive, because maybe some kiddo, or someone who need that skin will pay actual real money for it. These are the reason I agree with this choice.
  • Versatti
    2018 posts Member
    edited February 21
    Versatti wrote: »
    Versatti wrote: »
    Appearance wise, it probably wouldn’t be so bad if there was a player guild/clan system. I’d imagine you could join a clan that specifically wore Armor X or Y.

    One cool thing would be if every player just went for accuracy and this way nobody would be mad, most likely 8yrs old will pick the most out of place stuff though. :(

    It’s immersion vs fun for the masses. The masses clearly outnumber the immersions and fun is easier to develop as Dice don’t have to consider certain rule sets which would inevitably create more for them to develop. e.g. twice as many heroes at launch.

    The ones spouting "it's more fun" are the same ones saying "it's no big deal" or "I don't really care." So why listen to them?
    The weirdest thing about the whole thing (which is the main problem of the game anyway), is that no one asked for mixing the clone armour phases, but now that they are here people are so ademently defending it and any criticism is mute, "you're just a bunch of crybabies", "it's only a game", "It'll be fun, this game isn't 100% canon anyway", etc.

    They listen to them because they’re the largest customer group. Having strict canon in place wasn’t what attracted them to the game and it never will be.

    Purists on the other hand are irrelevant to Dice. They don’t care. They don’t care because purists are big fans of Star Wars who will buy the game regardless.

    I can imagine this was discussed in great detail at the concept stage and the resounding **** was unanimous.



  • JackTHorn
    3634 posts Member
    I loved the era accurate event and the fact it limited to 2 heroes per side at any time, and I love having the right legion from the right phase in the right context, but I accept some people don't care, and don't feel like taking away from them, considering this is indeed more content that was available before.
    The thing is, they could have had twice as many skins by doing half as much work if they'd made canon skins and made customization a priority. Instead they ignored customization at release in November 2017, did a token minimum with aliens and a few humans in April 2018, drip-fed clone skins they'd had since release from August 2018 to February 2019, and now they're correcting those skins and splitting phases to make it seem like they made more skins than they did.

    I remember first time I played I hated heroes splattered all over the eras and that I would have preferred a more accurate game. Then after some time I actually enjoyed it nonetheless...
    Lucky you. I still haven't been able to enjoy a game with cross-era hardly at all. I enjoy it less and less every time they flub the accuracy even worse. And most of my friends stopped playing like a year ago.

    Although I'd prefer something more true to the canon, that is the way it's designed, I think complaining about it goes against the spirit of the game itself... it's not and I don't think was supposed to be, accurate.
    Every Battlefront game before this one was fundamentally and consistantly accurate. This is the only Battlefront game where they just kept fumbling authenticity over, and over, and over...
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!