criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

What's the Point of Giving Maul and Yoda a Lightsaber Block?

It has come to my attention that many people want Maul and Yoda have the ability to block with lightsaber. Personally I'm against this idea as it would make the both much boring and easier to use. There needs to be lightsaber heroes who don't all share the same basic movements. Let me tell you why the two don't need a lightsaber block.
qbczla3shb27.png

The reason Maul doesn't need a block is simple: He doesn't have stamina. Giving him the block would also give him stamina which would ruin his uniqueness as an agressive villain. Besides he moves and swings faster than any other lightsaber villain and against blasters he has a neat way to deflect them by simply using spin attack directly in front of the enemy. You need to keep him on the move when facing a group of enemies. Use his abilities wisely.
sbn0fm91a86h.png

Yoda already has a block, Unleash. Although it can't block lightsaber swings it does it job well against blasters and lightning. Absorbing them will grow the area and damage of the ability, dealing high damage. (It should be higher in my opinion as we have Anakin with his powerful abilities now.) He as well can deflect blasters with his dash attack. When facing a lightsaber villain you need to keep him on the move. I recommend to spam the dash attack as much as possible as it's unblockable move.

Comment bellow and try to change my mind. (That won't happen) :smirk:
Current Topics:
Leia Improvements
Heroes vs Villains Improvements
4th Ability Concept - Yoda

1j58fmke3evs.png
PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮
𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘯, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰 𝘢𝘴 𝘐 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘖𝘬𝘢𝘺? ❞
- Leia Organa

Replies

• Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    ANAKIN
  • hsf_
    1828 posts Member
    edited March 3
    I was also quite vocal about Maul not having a block, because before Anakin he was actually pretty decent. But since Anakin has a multitude of force moves, he's fairly fast and does massive damage, Maul is kind of left hanging in the wind.
    The only other way I can see him being viable without a block at the minute, would be to buff his lightsabre damage by quite a bit, reduce the cooldowns he has and make Choke Throw viable instead of being a party trick. Oh and change the axis of the lightsabre throw to horiztonal.

Yoda on the other hand, I've felt you could always make a case for him having a block. He's not got the agility of Maul, plus he's slow to attack. I know he's got his unblockable dash attack, but that's all he's got really. So having a block for Yoda does make sense.

That's just my opinion of course.
  • Because Maul gets trashed by sabers?
  • I'm ok with the way Yoda is at the moment. Granted he's hard to use against Villains but he at least has his dash, plus its fun to play as the annoying green goblin every now and then. As for Maul I think he does need some work. He's my main Villain and I can get really good matches with him, however any time theirs a hero involved on GA its a lot harder for Maul to succeed. When fighting other heroes he can either try to get behind, or get the jump on them and throw them off a ledge. Both is not easy especially when other players are shooting you. Other than that Maul is pretty useless against Heroes. In HvV he's only good for throwing people, after that its a challenge to use in a 1v1. Now I enjoy using him regardless and it is satisfying when you're able to kill a Hero using Maul but he should have something else. Maybe his dash can be unblockable as well, or increase his lightsaber damage a bit, nothing crazy.

Maul is meant to be used against troopers in GA, and he's perfect for that. But in the event of a Hero showing up Maul is in a lot trouble. Granted yes he has unlimited stamina, but thats useless when the other Hero just blocks all your attacks, waits till you use your abilities, and then destroys you since they damage more than Maul, like Obi-wan and Anakin right now. In TPM we saw Maul fight Obi-Wan and Qui-gon blocking their blows, but never did we see him block blasters. Maybe something could be done where in game Maul has something to block sabers, but not blasters. Just a thought.
    Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally.

• ZmanGames wrote: »
    There are several:

A. User experience - Playing as a Jedi/Sith but not having the ability to block makes it less fun for some people and makes it feel like a key part of their kit is missing. It also forces people to play in certain playstyles that they may dislike.

B. Balance - Yoda and Maul cannot competently take on other lightsaber heroes due to their lack of a block. Both Maul and Yoda get absolutely crushed by any other lightsaber hero/villain unless the person they are fighting is very incompetent.

C. Authenticity - Yoda was considered the best duelist in the Jedi Order but cannot duel in-game. Maul was capable of taking on multiple Jedi at once but cannot duel in-game.

D. Giving either of these characters a lightsaber block wouldn't make them unbalanced, especially since we have powerful characters like Anakin and a multitude of heroes need a buff anyway.

Now to look at your claims:
    "There needs to be lightsaber heroes who don't all share the same basic movements."
    This is false, it is a hero-type. This is like implementing a blaster hero and saying they shouldn't have the ability to roll. What differentiates a hero from another isn't there basic standard functions(dash, block, jump, and attack), but their main 3 abilities and attack animations/speed. Removing one of their basic functions doesn't make them unique, it just takes something that is standard and removes it from them, handicapping them more than anything else. To use an analogy similar to the one above, removing Han Solo's ability to roll wouldn't make him more unique. I'd also like to note that there are variations to the basic movements, such as distance when it comes to dash and stamina as well as accuracy when it comes to block.

"The reason Maul doesn't need a block is simple: He doesn't have stamina. Giving him the block would also give him stamina which would ruin his uniqueness as an agressive villain."

Giving him a block could actually make him more unique and highlight his aggression, his block doesn't have to be like Luke's or Vader's, it could be a high-speed block like in the old games that has low stamina and deflects inaccurately, against saber users it would have higher stamina.
    This is what it would look like:
    giphy.gif
    The block is up when the red crosshair is on the screen, the stamina is the squares at the bottom of it. You see how he is still able to move at a high walking speed but the block has very low stamina and doesn't accurately deflect blaster bolts. Giving him a block like this would highlight his aggression by allowing Maul players to continue fighting instead of fleeing when they begin losing health or face something like a sentry gun from a heavy. It wouldn't be the type of block where you slowly walk and deflect blaster bolts for several seconds, it can't truly be used defensively. This block still requires you to be on the move because if you try to use it the same way you'd use Vader's you're going to end up vulnerable and losing a bunch of health.

Keep in mind that the main point of giving him a block is to fight saber users, but I thought you'd like to see how it would work in GA since that's what you mentioned in your post. This wouldn't have to have an effect on his attack stamina, they could just give him blocking stamina. Again, a high movement speed block that has very low stamina and low accuracy against blasters but decent stamina against lightsabers, and his stamina is still unlimited for attacks. Although I would make it so that his block rather than deflecting blaster bolts in random directions like Grievous', instead has high spread, so it can be accurate at very close range but essentially random at medium and long range.

This would actually make Maul a much more unique villain by giving him the most unique block in the game and allowing him to be more aggressive in situations where he'd currently have to flee in both HvV and GA. This equalizes Maul while fighting against other lightsaber heroes by allowing him to competently fight them. Currently, Maul gets crushed by characters such as Luke in a lightsaber duel unless the Luke player plays poorly.

"When facing a lightsaber villain you need to keep him on the move. I recommend to spam the dash attack as much as possible as it's unblockable move."
    Yes, we all know this, including all of the information you said above that line. However, that doesn't mean that Yoda shouldn't have a block against lightsabers. In a 1v1 situation against any competent lightsaber villain, especially Dooku, Yoda will lose the vast majority of the time due to the lack of a block. He's a top tier duelist in the Jedi Order, he should be able to actually lightsaber duel rather than being forced to run throughout half of the fight. I'd also like to note that a dev confirmed Yoda is getting a lightsaber block in the lightsaber combat update, so this conversation is really just about Maul at this point. Once we get the March update, Maul will literally be the only lightsaber hero that is unable to block.

I disagree with but respect your opinion, I hope that we are all open-minded about this issue.

@ZmanGames I've heard people talking about there being a Saber Combat update. Last I heard it was coming in June, but no big details about it. Do you have a link or something so I may look for myself?
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
    There are several:

A. User experience - Playing as a Jedi/Sith but not having the ability to block makes it less fun for some people and makes it feel like a key part of their kit is missing. It also forces people to play in certain playstyles that they may dislike.

B. Balance - Yoda and Maul cannot competently take on other lightsaber heroes due to their lack of a block. Both Maul and Yoda get absolutely crushed by any other lightsaber hero/villain unless the person they are fighting is very incompetent.

C. Authenticity - Yoda was considered the best duelist in the Jedi Order but cannot duel in-game. Maul was capable of taking on multiple Jedi at once but cannot duel in-game.

D. Giving either of these characters a lightsaber block wouldn't make them unbalanced, especially since we have powerful characters like Anakin and a multitude of heroes need a buff anyway.

"There needs to be lightsaber heroes who don't all share the same basic movements."
    This is false, it is a hero-type. This is like implementing a blaster hero and saying they shouldn't have the ability to roll. What differentiates a hero from another isn't there basic standard functions(dash, block, jump, and attack), but their main 3 abilities and attack animations/speed. Removing one of their basic functions doesn't make them unique, it just takes something that is standard and removes it from them, handicapping them more than anything else. To use an analogy similar to the one above, removing Han Solo's ability to roll wouldn't make him more unique. I'd also like to note that there are variations to the basic movements, such as distance when it comes to dash and stamina as well as accuracy when it comes to block.

"The reason Maul doesn't need a block is simple: He doesn't have stamina. Giving him the block would also give him stamina which would ruin his uniqueness as an agressive villain."

Giving him a block could actually make him more unique and highlight his aggression, his block doesn't have to be like Luke's or Vader's, it could be a high-speed block like in the old games that has low stamina and deflects inaccurately, against saber users it would have higher stamina.
    giphy.gif
    The block is up when the red crosshair is on the screen, the stamina is the squares at the bottom of it. You see how he is still able to move at a high walking speed but the block has very low stamina and doesn't accurately deflect blaster bolts. Giving him a block like this would highlight his aggression by allowing Maul players to continue fighting instead of fleeing when they begin losing health or face something like a sentry gun from a heavy. It wouldn't be the type of block where you slowly walk and deflect blaster bolts for several seconds, it can't truly be used defensively. This block still requires you to be on the move because if you try to use it the same way you'd use Vader's you're going to end up vulnerable and losing a bunch of health.

Keep in mind that the main point of giving him a block is to fight saber users, but I thought you'd like to see how it would work in GA since that's what you mentioned in your post. This wouldn't have to have an effect on his attack stamina, they could just give him blocking stamina. Again, a high movement speed block that has very low stamina and low accuracy against blasters but decent stamina against lightsabers, and his stamina is still unlimited for attacks. Although I would make it so that his block rather than deflecting blaster bolts in random directions like Grievous', instead has high spread, so it can be accurate at very close range but essentially random at medium and long range.

This would actually make Maul a much more unique villain by giving him the most unique block in the game and allowing him to be more aggressive in situations where he'd currently have to flee in both HvV and GA. This equalizes Maul while fighting against other lightsaber heroes by allowing him to competently fight them. Currently, Maul gets crushed by characters such as Luke in a lightsaber duel unless the Luke player plays poorly.

"When facing a lightsaber villain you need to keep him on the move. I recommend to spam the dash attack as much as possible as it's unblockable move."
    Yes, we all know this, including all of the information you said above that line. However, that doesn't mean that Yoda shouldn't have a block against lightsabers. In a 1v1 situation against any competent lightsaber villain, especially Dooku, Yoda will lose the vast majority of the time due to the lack of a block. He's a top tier duelist in the Jedi Order, he should be able to actually lightsaber duel rather than being forced to run throughout half of the fight. I'd also like to note that a dev confirmed Yoda is getting a lightsaber block in the lightsaber combat update, so this conversation is really just about Maul at this point. Once we get the March update, Maul will literally be the only lightsaber hero that is unable to block.

I disagree with but respect your opinion, I hope that we are all open-minded about this issue.

Damn thats a good idea actually. Can't remember much of the old BF2, but that would work great for Maul.
    Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally.

• ROMG4
    2738 posts Member
    "What's the Point of Giving Maul and Yoda a Lightsaber Block?"

So they have something to hide their shame behind
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • ZephanUnbound
    2946 posts Member
    edited March 3
    Maul needs one so he can block force powers more so than sabers, he is helpless against the constant barrage of ragdoll powers the hero team now has access to (Push and Repulse on Luke, Heroic Might, Pull Dominance, and Choke on Anakin, Push on Obi-Wan, Rey's charge, Unleash on Yoda, Charge Slam on Chewie, and Detonite on Han), he is just getting bounced around like a pinball right now in HvV in my experience, and the ability to block more than half of those would help him alot. The ability to block lightsabers and blaster bolts is less needed, but once Maul loses his infinite stamina in the lightsaber update later this month I think he will need to be able to block sabers and blasters as well so he won't be totally useless.

As for Yoda, he can block force powers at least, unlike Maul, but ever since Grievous was added with his very long range saber lunge, Yoda ability to dodge attacks has been greatly diminished, to the point where he needs to be able to block sabers as well, unless of course DICE drops saber lunging from the game with the lightsaber update, but I doubt they will because people would complain that it is too hard to hit rolling blaster characters without it *shrugs*
  • Maul absolutely has no reason for a lightsaber block. A blaster block sure, but not the kind everyone else has. His should be focused around keeping himself from taking blaster damage, and that is it. Not like literally everyone else who kills with the bolts, but just kiiping them away from him. All he'd do is just constantly spin his blades around him and all the shots within a 180 degree radius in front of him are deflected away in complete random angles.
  • Maul absolutely has no reason for a lightsaber block. A blaster block sure, but not the kind everyone else has. His should be focused around keeping himself from taking blaster damage, and that is it. Not like literally everyone else who kills with the bolts, but just kiiping them away from him. All he'd do is just constantly spin his blades around him and all the shots within a 180 degree radius in front of him are deflected away in complete random angles.

That's just about the dumbest argument/suggestion I've ever heard. Maul absolutely has every reason to have a saber block, both gameplay wise and canonically. He fights and blocks two jedi at once in episode one, and gameplay wise he remains at a sever disadvantage in HvV against anyone else besides yoda, Highly susceptible to every Stun or knockdown. Even if we did implement your sick twisted take on maul, it should at least be the opposite of what you said in that he can't block blaster fire, but sabers. At this point though, it's clear your not even basing this off of canon, and are probably just drafting these ideas out your rear end.

And to the OP, nobody cares about convincing you. If somebody says the moon is made out of cheese, I just let them have at it. Theres probably no space in reality that we share.

I literally can't wait to see all the crying when Maul and Yoda are finally able to block, it'll be an exercise in madness as people cry bloody murder as this game progressively becomes better balanced. And good for it, Ben is really starting to clean this mess up.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • GenxDarchi
    7723 posts Member
    So that they can duel other Sabers, and not be good for only running, especially in Mauls case.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• Maul fights defensIve against jedi but also uses juyo so he is capable of blocking it's just laziness for example palpatine could have at least had his battlefront one block but that's another fault of button layout I guess but l2 I reckon could easily replace the l2 and r2 situation have him block with l2 and blaSt with r2
    There are several:

giphy.gif

Impressive... most impressive.
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements

1j58fmke3evs.png

- Leia Organa

• ElfiGreen4 wrote: »
    Maul fights defensIve against jedi but also uses juyo so he is capable of blocking it's just laziness for example palpatine could have at least had his battlefront one block but that's another fault of button layout I guess but l2 I reckon could easily replace the l2 and r2 situation have him block with l2 and blaSt with r2

B b b but ItS moRe iMmErSIvE
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • I agree Maul should get a block, one that is very fast and quick, however, the blocking stamina will overheat very quickly and he will be forced to start attacking again. The short time lightsaber block is to create balance. I would also buff his lightsaber damage from 100 to 115 per swing. His lightsaber throw should also be buffed by making it a horizontal lightsaber throw like Vaders to make it easier to hit targets and should deal 115 damage on the first hit and same on second hit adding up to 230 damage.

On the other hand, Yoda should not get a lightsaber block because it's not in his fighting style to be stationary and block lightsabers. Instead, he needs a good buff with increased lightsaber damage to 140 and 30 extra damage from the back dealing 170 damage. His dash attack needs to be increased to 150 damage to one shot kill infantry except heavy. His lightsaber swing speed should also be increased from 1.3 to 2.2 swings per second making him do the fastest swings of any lightsaber hero in the game. With this buff, Yoda will be a force to be reckoned with and will be able take down Vader and Grievous with ease. With powerful attacks, Yoda will not need a block.
  • Terranova4
    437 posts Member
    edited March 3
    Palpatine also needs his block back so he isn't subjected to being Force Volleyballed
    Post edited by Terranova4 on
  • Please give them a block. They are lightsaber heroes who actually block all the time in every appearance of them in canon. DICE tries to be accurate to canon all the time, as far as to say they are even trying to have yoda repel force lightning like he did in episode 2.

Maul may be fast, but as soon as he tries to actually attack a lightsaber hero he is shut down dramatically. It doesn't even matter how good he is in GA already because he is shut down as soon as any lightsaber hero comes into contact with him. Then heroes like Grievous or Dooku turn Yoda into sliced butter as soon as their sabers hit.

They just need reworking to have blocks and blocks are important. Take Yoda's unblockable dash away and give Maul stamina. Simple as can be.
  • unit900000
    3304 posts Member
    because Maul is in an awful state right now do to Anakin and it would give him more of a fighting chance. not only does Anakin completely destroy Maul in a 1v1 but in HvV blasters users on the light side are less common now and thats what Maul was good for in HvV killing blaster heroes.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000

• timidobserver
    807 posts Member
    edited March 3
    Every time I see this argument I completely fail to understand it. We are talking about lightsaber combat in the Star Wars universe. Saber clashes happen in every lightsaber duel. Why would any notable lightsaber duelist be unable to defend with their lightsaber. Skill at it varies, but everyone should be able to do it to some degree.

Blocking things with the lightsaber is basic lightsaber combat 101.

Tutaminis/Absorb/whatever you want to call it was Yoda's solution to force lightning being thrown at him. When people used a lightsaber or a blaster on him, he used his lightsaber to defend when it was necessary. Count how many deflections occur in just a few seconds of this video.

• Every time I see this argument I completely fail to understand it. We are talking about lightsaber combat in the Star Wars universe. Saber clashes happen in every lightsaber duel. Why would any notable lightsaber duelist be unable to defend with their lightsaber. Skill at it varies, but everyone should be able to do it to some degree.

Blocking things with the lightsaber is basic lightsaber combat 101.

Tutaminis/Absorb/whatever you want to call it was Yoda's solution to force lightning being thrown at him. When people used a lightsaber or a blaster on him, he used his lightsaber to defend when it was necessary. Count how many deflections occur in just a few seconds of this video.

This has been stated ad-infinitum since launch. Hopefully reason finally gets through to ben and we see it culminate in the lightsaber combat changes they end up adding.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Maul needs ability to block other players force powers right now hi is juggled around be every LS hero with push powers especialy in HvV. It realy disrupts his playstile and people is starting to call him Useless Spiny Boy
  • How odd. Even without the block I've managed pretty well as Maul in both GA and HvV. :sunglasses:
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements

1j58fmke3evs.png

- Leia Organa

• DarthJ
    6569 posts Member
    Both could do with a block, but I would prioritise Yoda's out of the 2. He is in dire need of one. As handy as he is in GA or against blaster/explosive villains, he can barely duel on this game to save his life. I end up using a mixture of his dodges and dashes to give myself a fighting chance, when unleashed is on cooldown. Against the average player this can work, but decent players will more often than not beat me regardless. Give him a block and it will do wonders for his ability to fight in HvV.

Maul could do with one too, and I like the idea of him having less stamina for blocking. So he can block against saber users, but would have to go on the offensive quite quickly rather than sitting on his block often.
    PSN: ibrajoker59