criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Darth Maul Community Quests

Block Stopped Working? Everything about this BUG here! [BUG of the Week: Disabled Block BUG]

RogueZeroRendar
906 posts Member
edited March 5
There hasn't been a more appropriate time for exposing this BUG then right now. The Chosen One update has made this BUG happen so much more then before, that if you play a blocking character chances are you'll experience this BUG more then once EVERY MATCH.

This BUG has been in the game since release, however it was never adressed by DICE in any patch. Early on though, people discovered how to fix it without the need to die or respawn: If you spend all your stamina by either attacking or, in a later update, by trying to block too (despite blocking not working, it does spend stamina normally), your block would come back to normal, getting rid of the bug.

The first video I made about it, back in April 2018, shows all of this clearly (despite back then, blocking didn't spend stamina, so it was harder to see this bug in action):

After that I got my hands in the Splitscreen mod from Benji and @CadeVsGaming which restored the functionality of splitscreen arcade in the PC version, and that allowed me to try to replicate this BUG on purpose in Arcade. After several attempts I finally did it, and it was 100% reproducible, the Disabled Block BUG by the Choke Method:

To my sadness, the Splitscreen mod stopped working after the Solo Season Update in June, and it only got back late December 2018 or early January 2019. I planned to test many other BUGs with it like the Corpse Attacking BUG, but they had to wait until now (stay tuned for the corpse attacking bug, it's almost done).

Sow with its revival, I used the splitscreen to once again show this BUG and maybe get the attention of the devs on how to reproduce this BUG on purpose, with a method that's 100% reproducible. Well, I finally did it. With an idea and evidence from forum user @Atreus213 , I tested Kylo's Freeze, and that's exactly how to do it.

With this I present to you @F8RGE , @EA_Charlemagne , and the whole SWBFII2017 Community, the Disabled Block BUG by the Freeze Method, a method far easier to reproduce then the previous Choke Method:

I hope this video helps solve this issue once and for all. I imagine a debugging method for SWBFII2017, or for Frostbite Game Engine itself, together with this method of triggering the BUG on purpose may be the final move we all need to get rid of this infamous BUG once and for all!

And with that get rid of Rey's Dash Strike Visual BUG and Obi's Defensive Rush Visual BUG too, which are both consequences of the Disabled Block BUG.

To anyone that wants to help this BUG get even more attention, head over to Answers HQ and upvote the report about it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Disabled-Block-BUG-Block-Stops-Working-No-Block-Animation/td-p/6762835
Tired of BUGs?
giphy.gif
Well, they'll still exist.
But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
Post edited by RogueZeroRendar on

Replies

• I can't think of more tiresome job than to search for bugs and what causes them. Good job

8dh69o72w6hm.jpg

• bfloo
    14973 posts Member
    Blocking has had a 50/ 50 shot of working for months now.

Lets stop acting like it is new, it is an old bug they refuse to take the time to fix, or even worse just gave up because it is too hard to fix.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Small point but:

I would have been inclined to tweet this video and share on all SM platofrms and a large gaming group here in London. The thing is, whatever possessed the editor to put music over it? It's distracting, and frankly, melodramatic. The video is otherwise so polished and professional that it's a shame.

I think it's important to remove such emotive choices when hoping to deal wth professionals.

More than that, though, I just want to give credit for such sterling efforts in reporting this and trying to do something about it. I've quite a large audience to share this with (over 800 schools and FE institutions in London) so I'd be interested in a less emotive video :sunglasses:

pH
  • I'm impressed they got the Chosen One hotfix out so quickly. F8RGE commented on Reddit that blocking is going through the process now.

Good write-up @RogueZeroRendar
    PSN: Atreus-213
    Xbox One GT: Atreus215
  • Found a worse bug than that try Obi Wan getting stuck in AOP stance. It took Palpatine shocking me to unfreeze me, you can't move only block.
  • awakespace
    1051 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Good work

Do you know how it happens to dark side characters? It is much more rare but I have lost the ability to block with Kylo and Dooku before. Kylo just yesterday.

Also, I'm not sure if this is still happening, but in the past I used to start a match and not be able to block at spawn.

This happens with Boba's jetpack too sometimes at spawn - and there is no way to "drain stamina to reset"
  • Iceninja
    402 posts Member
    I really hope this gets fixed. It plagues all my light side heroes except for Rey.
    “The force is with me and I am one with the force. I fear nothing because everything is as the Force wills it to be.” -Chirrut Imwe
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Small point but:

I would have been inclined to tweet this video and share on all SM platofrms and a large gaming group here in London. The thing is, whatever possessed the editor to put music over it? It's distracting, and frankly, melodramatic. The video is otherwise so polished and professional that it's a shame.

I think it's important to remove such emotive choices when hoping to deal wth professionals.

More than that, though, I just want to give credit for such sterling efforts in reporting this and trying to do something about it. I've quite a large audience to share this with (over 800 schools and FE institutions in London) so I'd be interested in a less emotive video :sunglasses:

pH

TBH it was my choice to put this music there. In my mind I always thought some kind of music made videos much more enjoyable to watch. I know it's cringy and melodramatic, but that's the tone I wanted to pass with this video, the tone of a BUG which has had most aspects of its existence dissecated and reported back to the devs, to be ignored for almost a whole year. The tone of a BUG reporter who has been very dedicated in trying to solve most buggy issues of this game since early on, and has hardly ever been ackowledged for his work.

The choice of the song, a bit random in nature (there could have been many others with the same tone), but on spot for its tone, was done to praise the youtube music composers community, as this is a royalty free youtube music. Also, as I said before, as I thought a music would always go well with videos, I always try to incorporate one or more of these in hopes the video gets more attention from the community too. Because it's a youtube channel after all, and I'd love it suceeded in becoming something that pays me for my efforts, as EA doesn't seem to want me as a free playtester, even less an employee.

The music with the right tone also helps me set the script for the video, so there are 3 reasons for the music. It seemed to work a bit with EA staff when I posted the Eternal Choke BUG back in March 2018:

And received this answer:

1prpuf1iop8c.png

Same tone, but much better music (IMO at least).

And there are those Funny Moments compilation channels like JongoPhett, Silkiewhisperer, and SomeLuckyBoy, that always use the royalty free music from the youtube music composers community, and they have successful channels.

But we must try different things to learn what's better to show what we want to show, right? I'll try your approach with the Corpse Attacking BUG as I already have all the footage I need, but still didn't start to make the video (Obi's godmode BUG video is already in the making and already has music, so I won't scrap it from that one).
    A brief about the Corpse Attacking BUG: Whenever you kill luke, maul, or phasma while they are performing Rush, Spin, and Staff Strikes, it may trigger this BUG where they start hitting you after dead.

Found a worse bug than that try Obi Wan getting stuck in AOP stance. It took Palpatine shocking me to unfreeze me, you can't move only block.

AOP Stance? What does that stand for? Obi can get stuck during his push charge-up, just like anakin can get stuck in his heroic might charge-up. But also, every character can get stuck after a dodge, it was last week's bug of the week post I made, about the Dodge Stuck BUG: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/130665/getting-stuck-anywhere-with-anyone-always-after-a-dodge-bug-of-the-week-dodge-stuck-bug

awakespace wrote: »
    Good work

Do you know how it happens to dark side characters? It is much more rare but I have lost the ability to block with Kylo and Dooku before. Kylo just yesterday.

Also, I'm not sure if this is still happening, but in the past I used to start a match and not be able to block at spawn.

This happens with Boba's jetpack too sometimes at spawn - and there is no way to "drain stamina to reset"

Actually I have no idea which are all the triggers to this BUG. But chaotic encounters, usually immobilization or forced movement effects paired with staggering ones are common to trigger this BUG.

And yes, you may start a match with this Disabled Block BUG already, although it's very rare. And Boba's jetpack issue seems to be similar in nature, it can happen at the start of a match, or happen during it (I experienced both already), and you can't spend stamina to fix it, but if you respawn it gets corrected. At least it's much rarer (or I don't play Boba enough to see it frequently).
    Tired of BUGs?
    giphy.gif
    Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)