criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Is Boba the worst-designed hero/villain?

Undead_Corsair
80 posts Member
edited March 11
Excluding the Anakin debate, obviously he needs some work, I have to say it is shocking how little Dice have tried to make Boba Fett work well. I think Boba is neither fun to play (unless you're a troll) nor fun to fight. I feel like I shouldn't need to explain this but I'll make my points so people can agree or disagree.

-First the jetpack is terrible. We all know it's terrible, not just because it facilitates the most cowardly and cheap tactics in HvV, but it actually isn't fun to use. The weird button mapping means Boba can't aim down sites which makes his accuracy in flight terrible, it just doesn't handle well.
-Two of his abilities are different flavours of missile, what excellent variety that gives him! And the last ability just makes his jetpack even more painful to deal with in HvV.
-His flamethrower, which should be a signature Mandalorian weapon, is relegated to his melee. What a waste of potential.

How should this be fixed? Well it'd be nice if Dice would just remove him from the game and rebuild him from the ground up, but that isn't going to happen is it? Plus it'd probably make a lot of cheap Boba players salty cus they wouldn't get to hide at the top of maps anymore.
But in an ideal world his jetpack would work more like the standard rocket trooper's, either identical to their abilities or mapped to a single press of L1/LB that would engage a hover mode allowing him to move in any direction on XYZ axis but only for a short time.
To compensate for this change he could have any number of buffs, increase his health (he is wearing Mandalorian armour after all), improve his blaster damage/cooling, whatever. Also remapping the jetpack button frees up the left trigger for aiming down site, wouldn't that be nice?
Finally to give him a good close range option replace one of those missile abilities with a proper flamethrower, it could work similarly to the jet trooper's rocket launchers, you press a button and he equips the flamethrower and you use the right trigger to fire it, you have limited time and fuel just like Han's sharpshooter ability, it can't be blocked by sabers and because it burns enemies it deals lasting damage like the stinger pistol.
This would be my ideal change to Boba, I am aware that Dice will probably never make any changes to him this dramatic, I'm just being hypothetical. That being said realistically I would settle for a proper nerf to his jetpack speed and fuel, and a buff to his health to compensate for his reduced mobility.
I must be stating the obvious to a lot of people here but I think it's important for the health of HvV as a gamemode for us to demand that Dice properly address the problems with Boba.
Agree or disagree? Alternative ideas? Let me know.

(Edit: I've been informed by a friend, who used to play Dice's first attempt at a Battlefront game, that in the previous game Boba actually worked very similarly to how I've suggested he should, he had a proper flamethrower, his jetpack was less cheap, and his rocket even had a homing ability. This makes me wonder, why the hell did Dice think it was a good idea to change it to what I think many would agree is an inferior design? )
Post edited by Undead_Corsair on

Replies

• Those are all actually really great ideas. Nice job!
  • Undead_Corsair
    80 posts Member
    edited March 11
    Those are all actually really great ideas. Nice job!

Thank you, but as it turns out I'm not being that inventive. I've been informed by a friend, who used to play Dice's first attempt at a Battlefront game, that in the previous game Boba actually worked very similarly to how I've suggested he should, he had a proper flamethrower, his jetpack was less cheap, and his rocket even had a homing ability. This makes me wonder, why the hell did Dice think it was a good idea to change it to what I think many would agree is an inferior design?
  • hosco33
    54 posts Member
    edited March 11
    I posted some complaints about Boba here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/131546/the-best-way-to-fairly-nerf-boba-fett#latest

@willywonka7 gave some good tips, still, it requires teammates to think as a team (which I later witnessed when trying to annoy a team with Fett in Kamino). He gives versatility to the game to be honest. If he doesn't fly that much, he will just become another blaster hero with a nice skin.

Regarding choosing him, also do I feel him so weak, unless I fly way too far, which I don't like doing; but I have watched on YouTube gameplays of people beating entire teams by successfully aiming from the air and his rockets by just flying over their heads, no need to fly away too far without risking anything. Of course they have epic rocket star cards, so perhaps we should just give him a try and enjoy the differences he brings to the game.
  • Perhaps they could add Jango Fett to the game with this build?
  • He's bad, I'll give you that
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif[/quote]
  • Batman20
    1336 posts Member
    MalacoreV wrote: »
    Perhaps they could add Jango Fett to the game with this build?

2 DS heroes with jetpacks would be to much and such a pain to deal with if they both played in the same match
  • He's bad, I'll give you that

Sure, he is terrible if you cant aim... :D :D :D :D

Sidenote, boba is fine, a better reticule would be nice. And slightly less explosive knockdown.
  • Bandicoot wrote: »
    He's bad, I'll give you that

Sidenote, boba is fine, a better reticule would be nice. And slightly less explosive knockdown.

Lmao.
    1. Definitely not your gameplay or remotely close to the norm on boba.
    2. That guy isn't pulling numbers like that even remotely consistently. I guarantee.
    3. All it takes is for a couple people on the enemy team to have just as good aim with explosive shot and that boba is a dead man. He'll get whittled down from the 150 regen and eventually die.

Stop defending broken heroes.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif[/quote]
  • brienj
    232 posts Member
    Bandicoot wrote: »

Sure, he is terrible if you cant aim... :D :D :D :D

Is that you in the video? If so, good work. I can admit that I am not that great with Boba, I guess I just need more practice, but I do better with an Aerial than I can do with him.

• Stop defending broken heroes.

I feel like that should be the community's mantra right now.
  • Bandicoot wrote: »

Lmao.
    1. Definitely not your gameplay or remotely close to the norm on boba.
    2. That guy isn't pulling numbers like that even remotely consistently. I guarantee.
    3. All it takes is for a couple people on the enemy team to have just as good aim with explosive shot and that boba is a dead man. He'll get whittled down from the 150 regen and eventually die.

Stop defending broken heroes.

No not me, just an example of what a skilled player can pull off. I can usually pull at least a 50, but it's satisfying unlike palps and anakin which are so easy to play, it's ridiculous.

https://m.youtube.com/user/Pepsipowah

He streams on twitch, gets pretty decent killstreaks regularly.

I do agree, exploding shot shouldnt knock him out of the sky though. Purely because one group of players in a party can ruin Bobas day.
  • Boba now falls if you shoot him and he's the target.
    It works great, never have issues anymore, especially when you add in the requirement to choose new heros if you win.

Thread not needed