criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Anakin is the worst thing to happen to this game since lootboxes

I can not believe that there was a moment at Dice when a room full of developers were like, “you know what would be a great idea? A hero with more health, more abilities, more damage reduction, and more saber damage than anyone else in the game.” It is so self evidently overpowered that you don’t even have to playtest it, which they obviously don’t.

I would almost rather them not any content than content like this. At least then I would have a stale game I enjoy.

Replies

  • play kylo/phasma, they work great against Skyguy
  • I can not believe that there was a moment at Dice when a room full of developers were like, “you know what would be a great idea? A hero with more health, more abilities, more damage reduction, and more saber damage than anyone else in the game.” It is so self evidently overpowered that you don’t even have to playtest it, which they obviously don’t.

    I would almost rather them not any content than content like this. At least then I would have a stale game I enjoy.

    79gaa8v17axo.gif
  • RyanK388
    1743 posts Member
    EA: “ You see that big pile of money over there that’s mine! that’s my pile of money!”
    EA: “ And you, you’re going to go get that pile of money alright”
    DICE: “But it’s not finished yet there’s still things to develop and we just need a little more time to be ready the fans wil-”
    EA: “Ah Ah Ah NO! No! You, you look like your ready, you’ll do great! Now get my money!”

    {EA} deploys [STARWARS BATTLEFRONT EA]

    Loot Boxes
    :
  • Anakin thread #?
  • I can not believe that there was a moment at Dice when a room full of developers were like, “you know what would be a great idea? A hero with more health, more abilities, more damage reduction, and more saber damage than anyone else in the game.”

    I know right!??!!??
    Make Maul great again.
  • I have definitely been playing this game since launch.

    Mostly when people are complaining about Anakin they are talking about GA. He has broken GA way more than he has balanced HvV. But I agree that HvV works better with him in it.

    A way to possibly balance him with minimal effort is to remove his health card. That way he could still be as powerful, but he’d have to play more cautiously in GA.

    But he is Palps-shooting-through-walls-broken in GA now.
  • I don’t think Anakin is the problem anymore. I would rather them buff many of the other heroes than nurf Annie.

  • Anakin isnt the problem anymore?
  • This is completely untrue. Anakin was built like this as a reaction to the verifiable fact that in Heroes vs. Villains the dark side was so overpowered compared to the light, that it was really getting out of control, and that was before Grievous.

    So apparently they tried to "bring balance the force" all in one chosen character. It may not seem fair in GA, it absolutely is in HvV. Now you can pull Boba Fett out the air and Palpatine down to size - much needed abilities (not more pushes!). He is OP, but this is without a doubt fair. The strategy must change: now you have to account for Anakin and how to beat him. No more cake-walks for the dark side, things just got a lot more challenging and more fair for the light side.

    That sounds more like an incredibly lazy way to make balance and "fair play"
  • This is completely untrue. Anakin was built like this as a reaction to the verifiable fact that in Heroes vs. Villains the dark side was so overpowered compared to the light, that it was really getting out of control, and that was before Grievous.

    So apparently they tried to "bring balance the force" all in one chosen character. It may not seem fair in GA, it absolutely is in HvV. Now you can pull Boba Fett out the air and Palpatine down to size - much needed abilities (not more pushes!). He is OP, but this is without a doubt fair. The strategy must change: now you have to account for Anakin and how to beat him. No more cake-walks for the dark side, things just got a lot more challenging and more fair for the light side.

    But this is exactly what I’m saying. You are right. Anakin is fine(ish) in HvV. He is overpowered, and everyone is basically just there supporting him. But the games are closer and that makes them more fun.

    But that was a conscious choice by the devs to balance the mode this way instead of tweaking other heroes to improve overall balance. And in doing it that way they completely destroyed the balance of GA. Worse than the HvV balance was before by a lot.

    And this is why Anakin is the worst thing in the game in a while. It’s not because of bugs making him not work as intended. This is how they WANTED him to play. It was a tactical choice by the devs that they spent months working on. Even though on paper it’s completely obvious that he would break the game.

    Anakin sucks because he is basically the devs throwing up their hands and saying “we don’t know.”
  • I'll just leave this here lol
  • The Anakin melt is legendary.
  • Boba fett has 550 health, right?
  • Wrong. Don't misquote me. I said exactly this- "You know people are casuals when they complain their team gets stomped by Anakin. There's no reason to get stomped by any character unless you're not familiar with this game or just have a trash team."

    Either your team is every man for themselves in HvV and GA or they're not familiar with the game. Anakin should not dominate, no hero should. So if I assume you know what you're doing, the people you play with don't. If you've killed many Anakin's, then it shouldn't be a hindrance to the flow of GA. But honestly, before he even arrived, Yoda and to a lesser extent, Finn, have did the same thing. Now you have someone who can do a lot of this himself. Doesn't change much. Naboo second phase in GA is still congested hallways and guarded doors. 3 places to get in that are choke points. Before Anakin it was the same as it is now. I've said it before, but the maps are mostly to blame, not heroes.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    Lootboxes were annoying but at least they didn't retribution me from around corners or heroic might me even though I dodged.

    That's been happening since launch. You can roll to cover and still die from blaster fire. It's either lag or the game giving the other player a freebie. Throw it in with all the other glitches and bugs in this game because you shouldn't get hit in cover.
  • Wrong. Don't misquote me. I said exactly this- "You know people are casuals when they complain their team gets stomped by Anakin. There's no reason to get stomped by any character unless you're not familiar with this game or just have a trash team."

    Either your team is every man for themselves in HvV and GA or they're not familiar with the game. Anakin should not dominate, no hero should. So if I assume you know what you're doing, the people you play with don't. If you've killed many Anakin's, then it shouldn't be a hindrance to the flow of GA. But honestly, before he even arrived, Yoda and to a lesser extent, Finn, have did the same thing. Now you have someone who can do a lot of this himself. Doesn't change much. Naboo second phase in GA is still congested hallways and guarded doors. 3 places to get in that are choke points. Before Anakin it was the same as it is now. I've said it before, but the maps are mostly to blame, not heroes.

    That's the thing, an Anakin that knows what he's doing breaks GA. Yoda and finn's buff are nothing compared to anakin, but they also need tweaking. As it stands you can have a buffed team and anakin, it's a joke.
    The thing is you cant bring a hero into a game with maps the way they are then blame the maps, the maps are not ideal, but the hero should be designed to work in harmony with the current game design, map design etc.

    And yeah loot boxes didn't have a one push hero kill button.
  • Shame about the lootboxes. Non deadbeats could have kept the content a flowing. Now I just have to go back to sending envelopes of cash to Dennis. YOU'RE WELCOME
  • Empire_TW
    6430 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Shame about the lootboxes. Non deadbeats could have kept the content a flowing. Now I just have to go back to sending envelopes of cash to Dennis. YOU'RE WELCOME

    Monopoly money doesn't work...
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • You’re right. Everyone complaining about Anakin just lacks the analytical skills to see that he’s fine.

    I certainly don’t want to challenge your analytical skills. I’d like to save you the trouble of trying to prove it by posting your high school report card or something.

    It seems to me that the figures show that nobody has one ability — let alone two — that can deal 300+ damage in a 360 degree radius.

    Sure, Luke can one hit kill people, but his push is in a small cone in front of him. Anakin’s can go through cover.

    I mean, if the best you can come up with is that his weakness is that his abilities GO ON COOLDOWN...

    Like, compare him to Kylo. Kylo’s Freeze, which does no damage whatsoever, has a 24 second cooldown. Anakin’s Heroic Might has a 15 second cooldown.

    When you look on Anakin’s stats on paper it only becomes more obvious that he’s broken the game. But I’ll wait to publish this theory until you run it through your supercomputer and check my work.
    Bandicoot wrote: »
    You know people are casuals when they complain their team gets stomped by Anakin. There's no reason to get stomped by any character unless you're not familiar with this game or just have a trash team. There's ways to counter EVERY hero and EVERY scenario. If Anakin is going to pull you, he has to come to a standstill. That means he's getting ready to do one of his moves that requires him to be still. That's basically every ability in his arsenal. Only his regular attack and passionate strike can be done when on the move. Passionate strike is usually done to someone engaged in a lightsaber battle to break their block, or when followed by his pull. Pay attention to his moves. Unless he's in GA and there's an officer nearby refreshing them, after he uses a combo of moves they're on cooldown and that's when you attack. He'll be on the defensive or he'll try heroic might. That's why you have counter-heroes that can hit him from a safe distance so he has to block. If he does block then you need to use someone with a stun like Kylo or Phasma, or you get Iden to use her secondary fire which is unblockable, or Bossks mines/dioxis which are both unblockable. The perfect counter to Anakin 'abusers' is the team of Kylo, Bossk, Phasma and Iden. Or you could switch out Iden with Vader. Once he's on the move because he can't block certain abilities from other characters, you go in for the kill with say, Vader and his choke/lightsaber throw combo. All the while you have Bossk launching grenades which hurt anyone near them and Phasma spamming her blaster and hopefully her droid/staff.

    This stuff isn't rocket science. Instead of figuring out things like this that I mentioned by playing against him and as him we have forumers complain that he's OP. Most people using him don't use his 1000 health card because it's better to have more powerful saber strikes and heroic might coupled with the hok in GA or pull reach for Boba in HvV. That means he's alive for a lower period of time.

    Cool cool. I mean. I may not be a Professional Star Wars Battlefront II player like you. But I have been playing regularly since launch. And alls I know is that the DS wins a loooooot less now that Anakin’s around.

    I’m aware that elite pro players such as yourself are able to kill Anakin. But the real problem is when you have 12 people on an objective and an Anakin runs in and presses a button and sends all of them back to the spawn screen. He would still be able to do that if the entire team had stinger pistols.

    That break in momentum is what kills GA. Because those moments are hard to come by. And it used to take skill for a hero to come in and reverse that momentum. But it doesn’t now.

    That’s what’s broken about him.

    :D Whats funny is 'elite' players such as @freshseth83 want a hero that is so easy too play it's as simple as running into spawn and pressing one button. Me personally I prefer to feel like I earned my kill streak. Lets be honest the reason these people say Anakin is fine is because they want to feel like they got a 50 plus kill streak because they're actually good. In reality said player is not really elite.

    My Anakins lvl 40 and the only time I play him now is to troll the Anakin from the previous game, I know as soon as I pick Anakin, there's no way the other team is winning. Unfortunately this doesn't always work because these Anakin mains like to quit and not play the DS.

    Yes, that's what I want. One-hit kill abilities! Oh wait, I did a reply on that before. Literally all players have a one-hit-kill ability, even infantry. If you're lucky you may just kill a room full of them too. Like with your thermal detonator or your vanguard or your explosive sentry. Your reply shows you lack any type of analytical skills. You want things nerfed because you died from it and have yet to figure a way to counter it. I don't proclaim to be an 'expert'. You and @kevanwithana labelled me that without seeing my gameplay at all. I'm on PS4 using a default setup probably with aim assist on and a crap ds4 with sticky buttons. You don't see me whining for nerfs every thread. You obviously play with Anakin more than me because mine is only level 22. You said your's is 40. If that's the case you should know his weaknesses by now. Apparently you don't.

    Every character has a weakness. Either you haven't noticed it or you choose not to take advantage of it. Anakin is vulnerable when his abilities go on cooldown, like any other hero. He's vulnerable right after heroic might is finished because his damage reduction is gone but he has a slight hesitation to when the animation is finished and he can move freely again. Like I said in my last post, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or an "expert" (your words) to learn these things.

  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Shame about the lootboxes. Non deadbeats could have kept the content a flowing. Now I just have to go back to sending envelopes of cash to Dennis. YOU'RE WELCOME

    Monopoly money doesn't work...

    You'd be surprised. He keeps trying to cash the checks too
  • Once Dice nerfs Anakin then someone is gonna come back here and complain that he's too weak.

    It's just a giant circle. There's no winning.

    Just give us OT Jennnny and Kranic and all will be forgiven
    For the Rebellion!
  • Anakin gets stomped by a competent team any day of the week. Heroic might? Blockable. Retribution? Blockable. Can't block? Roll away and shoot at him. Got Bossk? Lingering Dioxis and micro grenade him. Got Kylo? Pull/Freeze him. Got Phasma? Follow your team and place your droid or just camp with her. Got Iden? Perfect team up with Kylo and Phasma. He gets stunned or froze you light him up. Wait a few seconds and do it again. Got Boba? Stay back and launch those anti-hero missiles. It's called teamwork. I know it's a hard concept, but if everyone goes into the game(s) with that mindset you can win against whoever.

    You're one of those "hes so easy you're so pathetic" types. Its NOT HAPPENING in 49 out of 50 GA matches you play on PS4 since Anakin was released.....if you don't believe me then plug up a ps4, go into GA and see for yourself. He is dominating every single game for three weeks now unless a horrible baby Anakin shows up and they hog his presence. If you don't have a PS4 or ever play GA then you don't know what you're talking about.

    You're "brilliant easy" tactics are not coming across in that mode and it has become unplayable. Too bad we don't have YOU in every match to do all these easy take downs with the singular Anakin expert while you have three other heroes, reinforcements and 4 classes of infantry to deal with. He's TOO powerful for that mode on console...its evident. They'll HAVE to nerf him more in some ways to keep console GA from being 99% Light Side assured victories forever. If you think every player is suppose to be super smart, work as a team, choose certain classes and select certain Heroes just to try and take down the constant respawning Anakins.......all just to MAYBE have q chance for everyone else to focus on the other Heroes, reinforcements and infantry to MAYBE have a chance???.....Then you haven't understood Galactic Assault and you've never played it on console.

    It's the other half of the game by the way...and it's the only largest/most alluring mode in the game.
  • 54wi6hwm73nm.jpg
    "OK... does anyone know why Rey show'd up to my crib out here on Tubuckoo Island?" "She don't need my help in this game"
    >>>Palpatine (GTS model), Boba, Chewie, Rey, The Wookies, Palpatine (XLE model), AS-AT, Heavy Ion, 2nd Phase of Theed, and next Annakin<<<
    I appreciate all the downgrades (nerfs) that actually balance this game - but none are bigger than Match-making (IMO).
    Simple equations: selfish players = Defeated ///// team players = Victory ///// new players = Selfish Victory at any cost
  • Dingbattin_1000
    174 posts Member
    edited March 25
    Ok, I was just killed by Anakin's retribution while he was in the middle of the objective in the final phase of Naboo and I was only HALF way up the stairs and he killed me with it. WTHeck??????? Just remove him already so we can enjoy the game again. He also had almost double the score of everybody else. If this doesn't say OP then nothing does. I don't care what they release this week unless they do something about Anakin it will mean nothing. The moral of the story is unless you play for the rebellion, quit the match and try again. I play on the PS4 btw and I have zero exp by him and I'm extremely proud of it.
  • by the way @freshseth83 what is your PSN you honestly sound like a goof.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000

  • Empire_TW
    6430 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Shame about the lootboxes. Non deadbeats could have kept the content a flowing. Now I just have to go back to sending envelopes of cash to Dennis. YOU'RE WELCOME

    Monopoly money doesn't work...

    You'd be surprised. He keeps trying to cash the checks too

    Checks?

    You said you were sending him cash, your story isn't adding up M8.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Lmfao keep fighting the good fight guys!i made an anakin post with inexcusable clips of anakin breaking GA but just got a bunch of anakin defending losers commenting that apparently its ok for him to nuke a team with 1 button press LOL
  • This is completely untrue. Anakin was built like this as a reaction to the verifiable fact that in Heroes vs. Villains the dark side was so overpowered compared to the light, that it was really getting out of control, and that was before Grievous.

    So apparently they tried to "bring balance the force" all in one chosen character. It may not seem fair in GA, it absolutely is in HvV. Now you can pull Boba Fett out the air and Palpatine down to size - much needed abilities (not more pushes!). He is OP, but this is without a doubt fair. The strategy must change: now you have to account for Anakin and how to beat him. No more cake-walks for the dark side, things just got a lot more challenging and more fair for the light side.

    But this is exactly what I’m saying. You are right. Anakin is fine(ish) in HvV. He is overpowered, and everyone is basically just there supporting him. But the games are closer and that makes them more fun.

    But that was a conscious choice by the devs to balance the mode this way instead of tweaking other heroes to improve overall balance. And in doing it that way they completely destroyed the balance of GA. Worse than the HvV balance was before by a lot.

    And this is why Anakin is the worst thing in the game in a while. It’s not because of bugs making him not work as intended. This is how they WANTED him to play. It was a tactical choice by the devs that they spent months working on. Even though on paper it’s completely obvious that he would break the game.

    Anakin sucks because he is basically the devs throwing up their hands and saying “we don’t know.”

    I can think of many things that could be considered "the worst thing to happen to the game" and the scenario where the developer's are sitting around in a room with the "I got a great idea!" created in a vacuum and the players are like "what is this??" However, Anakin is definitely not one of them. I will say he makes characters like Luke and Obi-Wan seem even weaker to play as, but you basically had all these dark side characters with great abilities, and most light side characters with....pushes. All the new (force) characters have recycled abilities from others, it's just Anakin seems to have the best of everything. So to buff other light side characters would have been the harder, longer but more fair approach, and to give everything to one character was kind of the easy out. That's as far as I'll go to agree with your argument.

    Hey, this is the long-awaited, of many characters, that we've been waiting for. That he didn't meet everyone's expectations is to be expected about everyone and everything....every time.
  • That's right. Resort to name calling and label people. I said casuals as in people who don't often play the game. That's not an insult btw. But don't tell me people who know how, have and can beat Anakin are now bad because we're not nerf herding. I don't think Passionate Strike should knock you down and break block, but that's about it. I don't think there's any other changes to Anakin that need to be done. I think what should happen is that other heroes need minor to major buffs.

    In GA you are getting slaughtered because other heroes are not countering Anakin with enough support. I don't play with squads or have any friends who play with me. But if I see Anakin is a problem I do what I can to get rid of him. That works for any hero on the opposing team. The game caters to casual play and you get people who often don't know what to do or where to even go. I can't tell you how many times you see people who just sit in the wait screen for their chance to get a hero instead of pushing the objective. Or those that sit outside the door and waste their blaster heat firing down a hallway. Sometimes you can't fix stupid.

    That doesn't change the fact that you have a lot of tools to get him. I suggested some earlier in this thread but I was met with lol's. I guess my experience is worthless even though it usually works for my team. Get an assault and use the gas launcher if he's in a chokepoint like Naboo or Kashyyyk. If your team has Bossk, follow up his dioxis with that. Get an officer and recharge command him, he's probably the best for getting Anakin flushed out and at crowd control. There's lots of solo players that don't help the team. That's the real game breaker. That and the design of the maps. Chokepoint after chokepoint that leads to slaughters because everyone is cramped in one spot for Anakin to one-shot you all.
  • No dog in this fight, don’t care, but again, bad map design along with spam characters/load-outs is the culprit for most problems imo, As EA says, “ It’s in the game.” Take away health regeneration for all heroes and most problems are solved imo, powerful or not.
  • One hit kills when you've just spawned as a hero is cheese and shouldn't be in the game. Anyone who thinks this is alright can bite me
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!