criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Plot holes/inconsistencies within the Star Wars universe

DarthJ
6461 posts Member
Now I know we all love Star Wars (why else would we be here?!) but I always find some of the inconsistencies and plot holes fairly amusing, or irritating, depending on what they are. I thought it would be fun to have a look and discuss them to see how others feel, or if there are any more that others think of. The obvious issues come from the PT not connecting well at points with the OT, or TCW creating issues between episodes 2 and 3.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- Obi-Wan not remembering R2 in ANH. R2 looking indignantly back at him, probably thinking "that's the thanks I get for saving your backside multiple times". I know the exact line is "I don't seem to remember owning any droid", which is true, he didn't own him, HOWEVER he did work with him throughout the clone wars, first meeting him in TPM. In TCW and ROTS we see them together at various points in battles/on missions, so you would think he might say "oh yeah I remember him". It was 19 years between the PT and OT, but Obi-Wan still would have only been in his 50's at this point, so I doubt he has just forgotten him. Best thing would have been R2 not having such an active role with the main characters in the PT, so that Obi-Wan actually doesn't remember him as he didn't really meet the droid.

- Chewbacca never mentioning the fact he met Yoda. I mean, circumstances meant he didn't really have to mention it, but you would have thought, travelling on the Falcon with a Jedi master, that he would have mentioned 'oh yeah, met Yoda before he went into exile, lovely guy'. Not really a biggie to be honest, but....May have been better to have Chewie not so involved personally with Yoda in the Battle of Kashyyyk.

- Grievous and Obi-Wan acting like it was the first time they had fought with lightsabers in ROTS. Now, its clear they had met by the way they talk ("ah, the negotiator"), but on Utapau, its implied by both that they had never fought with sabers. This is done in the "your move" and Grievous' trained in the Jedi arts comments. It's implied by Grievous there that Obi has never seen this, nor encountered Grievous with sabers yet. And Obi actually looks shocked/concerned when all 4 arms appear with sabers. Yet in TCW we see them fight fairly often, so how would this be a shock? Would have been best that they never fought with sabers in TCW surely?!

- Anakin and Dooku's meeting in ROTS clashes with TCW - specifically the line "my powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count". This would imply that they hadn't fought since AOTC, and Anakin had become far more powerful since. However, if I remember rightly, Anakin fought Dooku at points in TCW (thinking Naboo in particular?) - so had his powers doubled since that point, which wouldn't have been too long between that and ROTS, or.....?

They are the ones I can think of off the top of my head currently, may have more later. Does anyone have others? Or comments around those ones?
PSN: ibrajoker59

Replies

• bfloo
    15034 posts Member
    Hard to say if Obi wan recognized R2 or not. It was true that Obi never owned a droid, but Obi lied about Anakin. He may or may not have known R2's memory was never wiped.

We never heard Obi and Chewie's conversation while Luke was getting in a bar fight.

The toons made Ani and Obi's encounters with Dooku and Grievs feel off. The 2003 cw handled it a lot better.

Big plot hole was how Vader could feel the Force in Luke, but not in Leia, especially with her resisting Vader's mind probe. Crylo recognized it immediately in Rey during the mind probe.
    Lets be honest, crylo hasn't been portrayed as the sharpest knife in the drawer
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• *cough* a good portion of the Last Jedi *cough*
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Empire_TW
    6088 posts Member
    Stuff like Obi-Wan/R2 and Yoda/Chewbacca I think are just little things George missed/forgot about. Though I think it was in one of the newer canon novels of ANH, I think it was a novel for younger kids, that they added a little thing where Obi-Wan told R2 that it was good to be traveling with him again while Luke was training and Han was busy.

Stuff with Grievous, Obi, Anakin, and Dooku is just Dave doing his usual not being good at writing Star Wars.

Leia having memories of her mother is a noticeable plot hole, though it's just a small thing George seem to have forgotten.

The Jedi never following up on who Maul was or who he might have been working is somewhat of a plot hole along with Anakin being destined to destroy the Sith when they thought they were extinct when they found Anakin.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • bfloo
    15034 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    Stuff like Obi-Wan/R2 and Yoda/Chewbacca I think are just little things George missed/forgot about. Though I think it was in one of the newer canon novels of ANH, I think it was a novel for younger kids, that they added a little thing where Obi-Wan told R2 that it was good to be traveling with him again while Luke was training and Han was busy.

Stuff with Grievous, Obi, Anakin, and Dooku is just Dave doing his usual not being good at writing Star Wars.

Leia having memories of her mother is a noticeable plot hole, though it's just a small thing George seem to have forgotten.

The Jedi never following up on who Maul was or who he might have been working is somewhat of a plot hole along with Anakin being destined to destroy the Sith when they thought they were extinct when they found Anakin.

I figured Leia was referring to her adoptive mother. That one never really bothered me.

The Jedi failed to follow up on a lot of things, and covered them up instead, it was a big part of why Dooku walked.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png