criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Possible Great Fix for Down a Man in HvV

OcDoc
1067 posts Member
We all know that HvV has a balance issue when someone leaves a team and they go down 3 v 4 or even 2 v 4.

What if the team who was down was given a handicap. Essentially the overmanned team would have to get 2 kills just to register a single loss on the undermanned side. The undermanned side would still get a 1:1 ratio in kill to credit during this time period.

Once teams become even the ratio would return to 1:1 for both sides.

The way you do this is to put a dot on both sides of the defend/attack counter. During a period of uneven teams, the overmanned team would get a kill which would highlight a dot and a second kill would take away the dot highlight and put the credit on the official counter.

What does this fix?...

It gives time for the undermanned team to get back to even without stopping gameplay and without stopping competitive play.

It improves the problem faced in most HvV games without major coding adjustments.

It lets you know when the teams are not evenly matched.

Mostly, it is just fair.

Last note - I find that 3 v 4 the down team is still capable of getting kills on the target in most cases but probably closer to a rate of 1 for every 3 of the opponent. If they had more hope, I think this system would at least allow the down team to weather the storm and reduce overall frustration.

Replies

• I think that all that would do is extend the game out for both sides more people would still quit. This doesn't do anything to address the uneven aspect of the teams.

I think that the team that is down players needs to get one or a combination of this instead:
    • Increased Stamina Pools/Increased Stamina Regen for Lightsaber Heroes
    • Increased ability Recharge for Blaster heroes
    • Possibly increased damage boost when 2 or more players leave.
    • Increased Health for 2 or more players leave.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member
    I think that all that would do is extend the game out for both sides more people would still quit. This doesn't do anything to address the uneven aspect of the teams.

I think that the team that is down players needs to get one or a combination of this instead:
    • Increased Stamina Pools/Increased Stamina Regen for Lightsaber Heroes
    • Increased ability Recharge for Blaster heroes
    • Possibly increased damage boost when 2 or more players leave.
    • Increased Health for 2 or more players leave.

Would love that but I would guess it is too hard to code.

But if they could pull something like that off, I would be all for it.

My solution would extend the game but most of the time the spot fills before the end from my experience. This just keeps it close till that happens and is easy to code.

• I doubt it would be that hard.

They just have to check team sizes, then see which players are playing on that team, assign a damage multiplier, health buff, or whatever else, until the team fills up again.

I mean it's essentially code similar to how HvV game already identifies who to select as the target for the game mode. In list of team players, select random player to be target. This would just eliminate random player and assign condition to all team players left on the team.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member
    I doubt it would be that hard.

They just have to check team sizes, then see which players are playing on that team, assign a damage multiplier, health buff, or whatever else, until the team fills up again.

I mean it's essentially code similar to how HvV game already identifies who to select as the target for the game mode. In list of team players, select random player to be target. This would just eliminate random player and assign condition to all team players left on the team.

I may need to move this topic to general discussion to get some traction.

I actually prefer the method you suggested to mine if it is realistic to manifest with their limited resources.

Even if all we had is a health boost for the down team it would help the situation.

Give them a combo of health, stamina and maybe even a small damage bonus and it would make 3v4 outright fair. I wouldn’t even care about the numbers at that point.

I dream of a solution to end that frustration and I really think some sort of handicap has to be applied in a small mode like that when uneven numbers make such a big difference in gameplay and outcome.

• Pretty sure HvV is having the target system removed completely so...
  • brienj
    660 posts Member
    The greatest fix is to play good enough so people don't want to leave your team.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member
    Pretty sure HvV is having the target system removed completely so...

Still gonna run into uneven teams so...

• OcDoc
    1067 posts Member
    brienj wrote: »
    The greatest fix is to play good enough so people don't want to leave your team.

I have been on plenty of winning teams and still lost a man. Not everything is rage quitting.
  • brienj
    660 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »

I have been on plenty of winning teams and still lost a man. Not everything is rage quitting.

Usually when that happens, it's because Anakin is getting all the kills, so they are leaving because they aren't getting any. Also, when it happens, you can still easily win the match. I've had people leave on the LS and DS both, and we still mowed through the other team. There is no need for any buffs to the down team. In the case of people losing when they are down 3 to 4, it's like I said, they were playing horrible, so somebody left, and they would lose the match anyway, buff or not.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member

Usually when that happens, it's because Anakin is getting all the kills, so they are leaving because they aren't getting any. Also, when it happens, you can still easily win the match. I've had people leave on the LS and DS both, and we still mowed through the other team. There is no need for any buffs to the down team. In the case of people losing when they are down 3 to 4, it's like I said, they were playing horrible, so somebody left, and they would lose the match anyway, buff or not.

So you mowed through 3v4...

Not a lot of that happens on the server I play on. I have seen a couple games end up really close even with unbalanced team numbers and maybe even barely win but never seen an undermanned team mow through an overmanned team.

So sorry if I don’t believe you.

• brienj
    660 posts Member

Not a lot of that happens on the server I play on. I have seen a couple games end up really close even with unbalanced team numbers and maybe even barely win but never seen an undermanned team mow through an overmanned team.

It's happened a lot actually. There are some really bad players.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member

I will give you benefit of the doubt. It isn’t like I can be a part of every game being played and I am sure there have along the way been such severe mismatches that what you are reporting is possible.

From my game experience... I can’t remember a single undermanned steamroll. And I can only remember a few undermanned wins that were really close.

PS4- Virginia. Maybe location or platform have something to do with it. Not that it really matters for the conversation.

• brienj
    660 posts Member

I will give you benefit of the doubt. It isn’t like I can be a part of every game being played and I am sure there have along the way been such severe mismatches that what you are reporting is possible.

From my game experience... I can’t remember a single undermanned steamroll. And I can only remember a few undermanned wins that were really close.

PS4- Virginia. Maybe location or platform have something to do with it. Not that it really matters for the conversation.

Yeah, I had one recently, where not only was it a complete steamroll, it was so bad that they only got 1 elimination total on the other team. I usually don't record matches like that, because it's not that exciting, but I may record the next one that happens, so you can see.
  • OcDoc
    1067 posts Member

Yeah, I had one recently, where not only was it a complete steamroll, it was so bad that they only got 1 elimination total on the other team. I usually don't record matches like that, because it's not that exciting, but I may record the next one that happens, so you can see.

Cool.

Which region are you in btw? And what platform?