criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Lightsaber Combat sucks now......period!

Title says it all......lightsaber combat changes have turned HvV into a pile of garbage!

You get no opportunity to block and counter an button mashing attacker without getting tons of health lost.

The system is also garbage because all it does is boil down to whomever's stamina will last the longest. Then most people keep back pedaling to get out of reach of your strikes, until they regen stamina again. Then it's back to the same old routine again...constant blocking/attacking until someone loses stamina.

Anyone that thought this was a better alternative and needed to be done was a ****......nothing about this new system is any good. Hits are less consistent about registering as well. Seems to me that the lunge lock only works on the first hit now. The name of the game now is just button mash your enemy until they run out of stamina and are dead!

Great job DICE you took a good game mode and turned it into a HOT PILE OF GARBAGE!

Replies

• Cyro
    68 posts Member
    the stun after hitting a block was perfect. it gave us the chance to strike back on perfect timing but now? you can just spam attacks. sucks.
  • Title says it all......lightsaber combat changes have turned HvV into a pile of garbage!

You get no opportunity to block and counter an button mashing attacker without getting tons of health lost.

The system is also garbage because all it does is boil down to whomever's stamina will last the longest. Then most people keep back pedaling to get out of reach of your strikes, until they regen stamina again. Then it's back to the same old routine again...constant blocking/attacking until someone loses stamina.

Anyone that thought this was a better alternative and needed to be done was a ****......nothing about this new system is any good. Hits are less consistent about registering as well. Seems to me that the lunge lock only works on the first hit now. The name of the game now is just button mash your enemy until they run out of stamina and are dead!

Great job DICE you took a good game mode and turned it into a HOT PILE OF GARBAGE!

1) keep dodging and look for openings. You can dodge through them, you know.

2) Target system will be gone in May. You likely won't get so many after you at once.
  • Cyro wrote: »
    the stun after hitting a block was perfect. it gave us the chance to strike back on perfect timing but now? you can just spam attacks. sucks.

The stun after hitting a block was **** feature. It's Star Wars FFS! Lightsabers are icon of Universe! Did you see anything like that in movies?
  • brienj
    592 posts Member
    Title says it all......lightsaber combat changes have turned HvV into a pile of garbage!

Yep, they had to remove any semblance of what is found in almost all fighting games, which is a counter attack system, because it wasn't Star Warsy enough, and didn't look like the movies. Who cares about balance or skill based fighting, because looking like the movies is more important, you know?

• 1) keep dodging and look for openings. You can dodge through them, you know.

2) Target system will be gone in May. You likely won't get so many after you at once.

The problem is that the game still has so many problems & bugs:
    1. dodging an attack doesn't work a lot of the time anymore because the game pulls you back a lot of the times to the spot you use to be in to hit/kill you. Happens the most as maul, but Rey,Obiwan,yoda get the issue sometimes too!
    2. It seems that now Dooku's block doesn't even block basic attacks a lot of the time from the front....especially not Obiwan's basic attacks & maul if they are button mashing attack.
    3. To add to the previous one it seems like sometimes special attacks get through your block....like palps lightning attacks & a few others that couldn't get through before. I know the game has trouble identifying who blocked and who attacked first and trying to resolve those overlaps.
    4. Force powers take too long to use at close range....which you are almost required to use now at close range.
    5. Again no parry system or balancing to allow you to block and attack without getting hit...you are always guaranteed to lose health/die when trying to attack someone back.
    6. The lunge lock doesn't really work anymore making it harder to hit people unless your right on top of them.
    7. everyone uses the back pedaling vader tactic to avoid getting hit and then when you're close enough he has so much stamina that you can't break through his block before your stamina runs out. Then it's back to back pedaling again.
    8. Chained force powers knocking you all over the place like a volley ball match also doesn't help....especially with Anakin chaining all four abilities at once to instantly kill you with no rebutal.
    9. Dooku needs a stamina increase.....he can't do a lot anymore.
    10. basically all the blaster heroes need a buff of some kind or another.
    11. They completely diminished the stuns to the point that they are all pretty much useless now. Stuns were the counter to the constant force powers throwing you all over the place. I think they need to take away stun immunity because that was a **** idea. All that does is prevent Iden & Phasma from working together, as well as, Chewy and Lando from working together. I would suggest an ever so slight time increase to Chewy, Lando, and Iden's stuns again. Otherwise buff the rest of their abilities because they just suck now all around in HvV & GA.
  • bfloo
    14086 posts Member
    You're implying ls combat was actually good at some point.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    You're implying ls combat was actually good at some point.

It was better before it became the garbage it is now.....I know the previous system had issues that needed addressing, but this update seems to have created more issues than resolved in terms of light saber combat in the game.

They either need to make another update to fix all the problems or revert back to the previous system because even with stun locks in saber combat it was never this bad before.
  • Sad_History
    45 posts Member
    edited April 19
    The old system rewarded block-stagger-attack-(or use abilty)-block- stagger ... ... and was a disaster. People could just repeat this all day long and win, especially with high stamina characters.

Now you have to manage your stamina carefully and try not to get outnumbered. It rewards intelligent and thoughtful play. You can hardly win against three jedi masters as one Vader like before but you never should.

This community is so backwards. Dice improves gameplay significantly, but the spam abuser who thought they were real sith-lords get obliterated and they start crying foul play.

You used a broken mechanic and now it is gone. Stop crying.

• Cyro
    68 posts Member
    FantasyMan wrote: »
    Cyro wrote: »

The stun after hitting a block was **** feature. It's Star Wars FFS! Lightsabers are icon of Universe! Did you see anything like that in movies?

Did you see Grievous on Starkiller Base, Laser Bolts of THAT speed, or dooku entering a battlefield in his pyjamas? in order to keep good game balance you need to set up certain features like this! now you cant do anything about an **** who just keeps spamming attacks. dueling became impossible.
  • OcDoc
    737 posts Member
    I like the new saber combat.

Please stop trying to mess up the game with bad advice.
  • OcDoc wrote: »

Exactly. They're coming in here after losing matches and trashing the game out of anger.

I love the new system and it requires thinking and planning. Instead of practicing, they cite bugs and complain. Ugh, I don't want this game watered down any more.

• 1) keep dodging and look for openings. You can dodge through them, you know.

The problem is that the game still has so many problems & bugs:
    1. dodging an attack doesn't work a lot of the time anymore because the game pulls you back a lot of the times to the spot you use to be in to hit/kill you. Happens the most as maul, but Rey,Obiwan,yoda get the issue sometimes too!
    2. It seems that now Dooku's block doesn't even block basic attacks a lot of the time from the front....especially not Obiwan's basic attacks & maul if they are button mashing attack.
    3. To add to the previous one it seems like sometimes special attacks get through your block....like palps lightning attacks & a few others that couldn't get through before. I know the game has trouble identifying who blocked and who attacked first and trying to resolve those overlaps.
    4. Force powers take too long to use at close range....which you are almost required to use now at close range.
    5. Again no parry system or balancing to allow you to block and attack without getting hit...you are always guaranteed to lose health/die when trying to attack someone back.
    6. The lunge lock doesn't really work anymore making it harder to hit people unless your right on top of them.
    7. everyone uses the back pedaling vader tactic to avoid getting hit and then when you're close enough he has so much stamina that you can't break through his block before your stamina runs out. Then it's back to back pedaling again.
    8. Chained force powers knocking you all over the place like a volley ball match also doesn't help....especially with Anakin chaining all four abilities at once to instantly kill you with no rebutal.
    9. Dooku needs a stamina increase.....he can't do a lot anymore.
    10. basically all the blaster heroes need a buff of some kind or another.
    11. They completely diminished the stuns to the point that they are all pretty much useless now. Stuns were the counter to the constant force powers throwing you all over the place. I think they need to take away stun immunity because that was a **** idea. All that does is prevent Iden & Phasma from working together, as well as, Chewy and Lando from working together. I would suggest an ever so slight time increase to Chewy, Lando, and Iden's stuns again. Otherwise buff the rest of their abilities because they just suck now all around in HvV & GA.

I haven't seen most of these problems, and I log a good hour or two a day.

Check your data center and make sure you're on the best one for your region.
  • Title says it all......lightsaber combat changes have turned HvV into a pile of garbage!

This only the opposite of what you are saying
  • I agree it sucks, not only the formal rules, but the glitches, no skills needed at all

Exactly. They're coming in here after losing matches and trashing the game out of anger.

I love the new system and it requires thinking and planning. Instead of practicing, they cite bugs and complain. Ugh, I don't want this game watered down any more.

If dodging and striking requires you to think and plan then you're really bad at the game... The combat is garbage, just admit it. I love lightsaber heroes and hate seeing them have bad updates that will "improve" the combat. They should just revamp the whole thing.

And yes, we do come here to complain about something we're not satisfied with in the game, because after all... we spent money on this. And if you don't satisfy your customers they're more likely to not recommend you or buy any more of your future content or whatever it might be.

Sure you like the new combat, we hate it. I'd say the community is 50/50 on that one. But you're the kind of guy that just rolls with it. If everyone was complaining, Im sure they would do way more to improve the combat.

Alot of people didn't like the way Battlefield 5 looked in the trailer and all I can say is... I don't see no prosthetic arms in that game atleast.

If dodging and striking requires you to think and plan then you're really bad at the game... The combat is garbage, just admit it. I love lightsaber heroes and hate seeing them have bad updates that will "improve" the combat. They should just revamp the whole thing.

And yes, we do come here to complain about something we're not satisfied with in the game, because after all... we spent money on this. And if you don't satisfy your customers they're more likely to not recommend you or buy any more of your future content or whatever it might be.

Sure you like the new combat, we hate it. I'd say the community is 50/50 on that one. But you're the kind of guy that just rolls with it. If everyone was complaining, Im sure they would do way more to improve the combat.

Alot of people didn't like the way Battlefield 5 looked in the trailer and all I can say is... I don't see no prosthetic arms in that game atleast.

Honestly, i think people had gotten used to the saber stagger mechanic and now they just do not want to adapt. And to say that the combat requires no skill is well... inaccurate at best.
  • bfloo
    14086 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »

Honestly, i think people had gotten used to the saber stagger mechanic and now they just do not want to adapt. And to say that the combat requires no skill is well... inaccurate at best.

It is just a terrible, simplistic cs.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• It's not bad at all. It only needs improvements or fixes:
    -Saber lock must be adjusted and synchronized with the button.Many times despite pressing the button having resistance the block does not respond or activates. Fix that please !!
    -It should be implemented some kind of reverse or counterattack against saber attacks by pressing the lock button at the precise moment of the blow.
    -The blocking must be implemented in the air (in the jump) and in the ground (when it is knocked down by some skill like push, retribution, tiron, etc).
    I think that with those adjustments or improvements would be excellent and balanced saber combat.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »

I agree, it’s just complaining for the sake of complaining. The old combat made this game way more button mashing than it is currently.

The way I thought of the change is comparable to a blaster user with a cool down on the weapon they’re using. Saber users now also have a cool down. And I like it, I don’t find anything wrong with that.

Referring to IronSoldier’s comment in the massive Anakin thread, people just need to figure out how to play against each other and the majority have already. No need for the devs to keep modifying the gameplay just because the player refuses to learn to play.

I'm doing very well with the new lightsaber combat :) Many people I play with also do well, and we like it because it is more challenging. Im sorry to hear that you're struggling to adapt and grow as a gamer.

There might be a game on the playstation store for you...seems like it was a barrel with fish, and you get a shotgun.

Have fun :)
  • Maliainu wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »

I agree, it’s just complaining for the sake of complaining. The old combat made this game way more button mashing than it is currently.

The way I thought of the change is comparable to a blaster user with a cool down on the weapon they’re using. Saber users now also have a cool down. And I like it, I don’t find anything wrong with that.

Referring to IronSoldier’s comment in the massive Anakin thread, people just need to figure out how to play against each other and the majority have already. No need for the devs to keep modifying the gameplay just because the player refuses to learn to play.

Perfectly stated. Casual gamers are picking it up in the dollar bin and coming here to complain that they're not instantly amazing in their matches.

The devs have been doing a great job of standing their ground, lately, refusing to water the game down.

Im quite happy with where it's going. I see a good future for SWBF2.
  • All these -going with the flow- boys... Keep defending the mediocre combat then... Now you can Block AND Dodge but not counter. Taking away 1 element of the combat makes it fun for you? lol gg. I'll just ask them to remove a gamemode aswell then, maybe the game is more fun.

Who knows...

lol
  • Cane_danko
    285 posts Member
    edited April 21
    All these -going with the flow- boys... Keep defending the mediocre combat then... Now you can Block AND Dodge but not counter. Taking away 1 element of the combat makes it fun for you? lol gg. I'll just ask them to remove a gamemode aswell then, maybe the game is more fun.

Who knows...

lol

What hero are you playing? Maybe it no longer fits your playstyle. You talk about countering but you can. If rey or obi mindtrick and then dash behind them. Dooku can expose weakness to slow them and dash 3x to get behind them. Grevious can knock them down with claw rush. These are just some examples as to how to get past heroes who love to hold that block.

Some heroes like luke and kylo do not have these type of abilities and have to rely on situational awareness to get around their opponents defenses. Keeping a mind on how much stamina your opponent has, timing your abilities for when they jump or try to attack, etc are just some tactics you can use.

Blaster heroes can be a bit tricky but can also turn the tide in the right situation. I won’t go into everything but the main thing i would suggest is trying to use your saber allies to your advantage and let them engage with the enemies before you commit to a full out offense. Sometimes shooting them is beneficial just to deplete their stamina. The main thing you are looking for is when they drop their guard to attack. That is when you light them up. Aim for head and watch them drop quick.

Edit: i used kylo as an example but he can actually use frenzy which bypasses block. The example still stands though and can be applied when this is on cooldown
  • CobraKaiSenpai
    165 posts Member
    edited April 23
    All these -going with the flow- boys... Keep defending the mediocre combat then... Now you can Block AND Dodge but not counter. Taking away 1 element of the combat makes it fun for you? lol gg. I'll just ask them to remove a gamemode aswell then, maybe the game is more fun.

Who knows...

lol

Block, quickly riposte. There IS a window of opportunity to riposte and then block again, or dodge out.

Im not sure we're even playing the same game xD The knock-back/stagger did NOT allow a counter - at ALL. that was the point of removing it. Sure, maybe a force counter, but not a blade counter.

Im sure the knockback made some gamers feel "beastly," holding off a team of saber heroes, but it got to the point of being mindless and stupid.

MK 11 unlocks tonight...please, please don't go on their forums and complain the game is too hard. Some of us like a challenge.

Post edited by CobraKaiSenpai on
  • Hopefully they will fix the annoying bug that appeared since the disappointing new saber combat system in which, even when you are blocking, attacks consume your health. Maybe the system is not that trashy without that bug, though blocking and attacking should be different stamina
  • MK 11 unlocks tonight...please, please don't go on their forums and complain the game is too hard. Some of us like a challenge.

“You can breathe. You can blink. You can cry. Hell, they're all gonna be doing that.”
  • Cane_danko wrote: »

What hero are you playing? Maybe it no longer fits your playstyle. You talk about countering but you can. If rey or obi mindtrick and then dash behind them. Dooku can expose weakness to slow them and dash 3x to get behind them. Grevious can knock them down with claw rush. These are just some examples as to how to get past heroes who love to hold that block.

Did you ever play the game before the update?

The stun lock and bounce back from saber blocks.....while annoying and needed improvements.......was a "window of Opportunity" intentionally created in the game so that you could block-attack-parry-etc without taking damage like you do now. Right now the game is like a slapping competition where you keep hitting each other until the other one gives out and is done. There is literally less skilled involved because all you have to do is button mash attack to eventually break through their block and prevent them from using specials on you. Some characters still take damage from other enemies even when block is up because the saber combat sucks now. This can be seen with:
    • Obiwan button mashing attack on Dooku
    • Maul button mashing Attack Obiwan & Anakin

The game boils down to which ever characters have the most stamina now and whichever characters have the fastest force powers to be used at close range.......there is no skill now you just have to overwhelm them and they're instantly done.

• Block, quickly parry. There IS a window of opportunity to parry and then block again, or dodge out.

Im not sure we're even playing the same game xD The knock-back/stagger did NOT allow a counter - at ALL. that was the point of removing it. Sure, maybe a force counter, but not a blade counter.

Im sure the knockback made some gamers feel "beastly," holding off a team of saber heroes, but it got to the point of being mindless and stupid.

No there really isn't:
    • The game regularly pulls characters back to where they were being attacked when they dodge out of the way. Especially with Maul!
    • The game requires that you use your specials to break out of a person's attack....rather than to parry.
    • There is no real parry anymore.....a parry is when you block and quickly attack back WITHOUT TAKING DAMAGE. That doesn't really happen anymore. You don't have to use a special to do this. Only a standard attack right after a block is a parry. This is where the problem lies for most characters, as only a few characters can do this on another specific character because the speed of those characters attacks are faster in animation speed than the person that is attacking them. Example you can parry attack dooku with Rey & Luke because both of their animation speeds are much faster than Dooku's. However you CAN'T parry attack Maul if he is button mashing without taking substantial damage because his animation speed is crazy fast with only a fraction of a millisecond pause to try and hit him.

Yeah it's so much more difficult than is use to be going around and button mashing attack on every one to eventually break through their block and get them. The window of opportunity doesn't really exist anymore....yeah some can take advantage of the "slight pause" in their attack but most characters have a super slow standard attack animation and super slow special animations, so you can't really get amazing saber only comabt anymore without the aid of special attacks.

If you don't use a special then your done. It wasn't this way before.....you could standard attack and block and actually parry with all characters. The problem is the standard attack animation speeds of all the characters are drastically different, which prevents an actual parry attack from existing now for most characters against an enemy.

• I'm doing very well with the new lightsaber combat :) Many people I play with also do well, and we like it because it is more challenging. Im sorry to hear that you're struggling to adapt and grow as a gamer.

Have fun :)

LOLOLOLOL........yeah your probably one of the button mashing attackers that couldn't figure out how to use actual skill before hand, so you needed them to dumb it down a little for you. So your spam attack could get through finally.

• Perfectly stated. Casual gamers are picking it up in the dollar bin and coming here to complain that they're not instantly amazing in their matches.

The devs have been doing a great job of standing their ground, lately, refusing to water the game down.

Im quite happy with where it's going. I see a good future for SWBF2.

What are you talking about?????? They've already watered it down.....DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAME?????????

They've watered down/nerfed......everything in the game basically. Every hero, every standard trooper special ability, vehicle damage, star fighter damage, the lightsaber combat because it's not an improvement it's just a horizontal move to creating new problems.
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will fix the annoying bug that appeared since the disappointing new saber combat system in which, even when you are blocking, attacks consume your health. Maybe the system is not that trashy without that bug, though blocking and attacking should be different stamina

Agree......i'm glad I'm not the only one that see's this problem.

• Block, quickly parry. There IS a window of opportunity to parry and then block again, or dodge out.

No there really isn't:
    • The game regularly pulls characters back to where they were being attacked when they dodge out of the way. Especially with Maul!
    • The game requires that you use your specials to break out of a person's attack....rather than to parry.
    • There is no real parry anymore.....a parry is when you block and quickly attack back WITHOUT TAKING DAMAGE. That doesn't really happen anymore. You don't have to use a special to do this. Only a standard attack right after a block is a parry. This is where the problem lies for most characters, as only a few characters can do this on another specific character because the speed of those characters attacks are faster in animation speed than the person that is attacking them. Example you can parry attack dooku with Rey & Luke because both of their animation speeds are much faster than Dooku's. However you CAN'T parry attack Maul if he is button mashing without taking substantial damage because his animation speed is crazy fast with only a fraction of a millisecond pause to try and hit him.

Yeah it's so much more difficult than is use to be going around and button mashing attack on every one to eventually break through their block and get them. The window of opportunity doesn't really exist anymore....yeah some can take advantage of the "slight pause" in their attack but most characters have a super slow standard attack animation and super slow special animations, so you can't really get amazing saber only comabt anymore without the aid of special attacks.

If you don't use a special then your done. It wasn't this way before.....you could standard attack and block and actually parry with all characters. The problem is the standard attack animation speeds of all the characters are drastically different, which prevents an actual parry attack from existing now for most characters against an enemy.

You're reporting difficulties I'm not seeing in any matches. You must have some bad server connections if you can't block/riposte/block without damage. We're doing it all the time on the servers I'm on.

I can only think latency is screwing it up for you.

by the way, any good gamer should be able to handle button mashers. If you succumb to random button mashing, then there's something you haven't learned :-)

• You're reporting difficulties I'm not seeing in any matches. You must have some bad server connections if you can't block/parry/block without damage. We're doing it all the time on the servers I'm on.

I can only think latency is screwing it up for you.

by the way, any good gamer should be able to handle button mashers. If you succumb to random button mashing, then there's something you haven't learned :-)
    I doubt how close you have payed attention to all of the characters fighting each other with just standard combat......no force powers. Especially when button mashers are attacking you with specific characters. I will get some video to show you.

....your just not understanding what the people that have a problem with the combat are talking about.
  • I shouldn't have to use force powers to counter an enemy to be able to strike back. I should be able to parry with lightsaber fighting animations/block to help me attack them back. This was more realistic than trying to use a force power to get someone to stop hitting you. This is where the problem lies, every one that things special abilities are the parry, don't understand what an actual parry attack is. Special abilities are special abilities...not a parry.

Also there are problems with force power animations as well.....some characters don't have. Fast enough animations to use them in close quarters against enemies....while other do. It's not a very good balanced system like it use to be where all players had a mechanic that could be used to parry WITH JUST LIGHTSABERS AND NOT FORCE POWERS.
  • I shouldn't have to use force powers to counter an enemy to be able to strike back. I should be able to parry with lightsaber fighting animations/block to help me attack them back. This was more realistic than trying to use a force power to get someone to stop hitting you. This is where the problem lies, every one that things special abilities are the parry, don't understand what an actual parry attack is. Special abilities are special abilities...not a parry.

Also there are problems with force power animations as well.....some characters don't have. Fast enough animations to use them in close quarters against enemies....while other do. It's not a very good balanced system like it use to be where all players had a mechanic that could be used to parry WITH JUST LIGHTSABERS AND NOT FORCE POWERS.

Just try it. Block, then riposte while holding block, and let go of the attack button. It really truly does work. I cant tell if you're being serious at this point or just trolling me a bit.

Either way, you have to PRACTICE it. Or you're having problems with latency. or bugs are popping up for you that I dont see.

And I DO observe, up close, people doing saber-only fighting. All the time. Friends will call me off so they can duel an opponent and i see them doing parry/riposte, parry/riposte/parry/riposte, and parry/dodge/parry/riposte. The combinations are substantial, when you add in dodging, and eventually force counters.

Upload the video so i can see. Im curious as to what's happening on your end.

in all fairness, in a previous thread from a few weeks ago, I proposed that a hard block be implemented that could either be charged up or executed using a well-timed block. upon its usage, and attacking sabre hero would be knocked back slightly and staggered for a very short duration, giving the defender a little breathing room. Basically, bringing back knock-back/stagger for that one defensive ability, but scaled back for a shorter duration and a shorter distance of knock-back.

as I mentioned, in my experience, I've been able to find a tiny window of opportunity to riposte after a parry, but if you are representing some percentage of the battlefront population that is not getting that window because of latency or whatever, then maybe we do actually need that added saber ability. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

I wouldn't mind a saber lock at very close distance, either, similar to that of battlefront 2015.

I just find it hard to believe that the team will implement this because it could introduce new problems. I think having those would be pretty awesome, though.

Also, it's important to understand that, if I'm correct, they're using the frostbite engine, which is known to have internal bugs. So it's easy to have bugs stacked on top of bugs. I really wish that EA would start using the Unreal Engine for its Star wars games. That's one reason why I tend to not complain too much about problems that Ive found in the game. some of them might not even be related to the Star wars code base itself.