criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Lightsaber Combat in HVV is not Fun

After a couple of months of not playing I hopped back onto HVV after hearing about the updates made to saver combat. I have to say that I am not very pleased with the changes that were made. Mainly the changes to how blocking and staggering (or lack there of) work. I truly believe that the old mechanics were superior to the ones present today, but that doesn’t go without saying it could have used some tweaks, although not as drastic as revamping the entire system. If the mechanics were reverted to the old ones I believe all that needed to be done was fix the way the stagger worked since so many people didn’t like it. Maybe when two heroes attack at the same time then they both stagger backwards that way there isn’t as many button mashing complaints. If you were to get stun locked in a corner or something you could use your attack to stagger the both of you backwards and use that distance to dash out of the corner you were stuck in and regather your bearings. Now being staggered would take more stamina than a regular attack but that alternative is surely better than dying while holding the block button and not blocking at all. If anyone has any additions to this, I encourage you to reply because I loved the stagger and I feel it added a layer of depth to the gameplay and it seems too simple and not as satisfying now that it is gone. I also feel something could be done with blocking activating a stagger on the opponent such as a perfectly timed block. Just a thought.

Replies

• OcDoc
    1534 posts Member
    I like the new saber combat but I do think more consistency (particularly with blocking) should be strived for.

I just really really didn’t like the stagger system. I like the fluidity without it.

Try it a little longer and see if you get the hang of it. Gotta really pay attention to stamina now.
  • Zinjo2017
    556 posts Member
    Oh yeah, stamina limits how long you can sabre spam an opponent before your hero can't even defend himself.
    5gyfxhxo6249.jpg
  • Zinjo2017 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, stamina limits how long you can sabre spam an opponent before your hero can't even defend himself.

No difference when there are two people attacking you. Which annoys me. I remember being able to get out of those situations.
  • hosco33
    209 posts Member
    edited June 10
    OcDoc wrote: »
    I like the new saber combat but I do think more consistency (particularly with blocking) should be strived for.

I just really really didn’t like the stagger system. I like the fluidity without it.

Try it a little longer and see if you get the hang of it. Gotta really pay attention to stamina now.

Attacks inflict damage even if you have stamina, perhaps if they fix that it could feel more pleasant. In top of that, how you prevent two foes spamming you and consuming all your stamina?, dashing should prevent you being hit but neither that works, trying to dash out gets you hit and instantly killed by spammers. I'm believing it's just happening to me due to ping timing, otherwise I would read more complains rather than just a few. Looking forward to having them as offline content to be able to play sabers again.

• Saber combat has improved but there are still inconsistencies and spamming can still be a problem. When someone saber spams you and you get staggered because you weren't blocking it can be really annoying cus it often stops you being able to block and can even cancel your abilities. Often it seems like the only way to respond to a spammer is to spam back. Also the hit detection is very weird, apparently it isn't based on the sabers but the position and distance between characters which is why sometimes attacks that look like they should've hit don't connect, and one's that are way off sometimes do hit.
    Also the frequency with which some heroes' abilities just get negated by others is very frustrating, Obi-Wan in particular I find is very vulnerable to his push getting negated. A heroes ability shouldn't go into recharge unless it has actually been used.