criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Forest of Endor

A general, comprehensive guide to understanding Saber combat in this game.

YoungBlood_YRN
18 posts Member
edited August 1
No idea what inspired me to make this, was just kinda bored to be honest. Title basically, nothing with too much depth or difficulty​ for the average player to pull off, as it's mostly rather straightforward anyways. This covers the general premise of combat, so no individual Hero strategies aside from examples relating to my points. Also strictly for 1v1s, as there are more elements in play for 1v2s and/or 1v3s. This guide assumes you at least understand the most fundamental principle of Saber combat which is NOT just spamming RT hoping for a kill or just holding LT hoping just to survive. 

Note: This is a lengthy post, so feel free to read it in chunks. Also apologies for the mundane formatting, I'm on mobile. :/

Key: 

Single asterisk (*Basic): What you must know and implement to succeed at a basic level.

Double asterisk (**Intermediate): What you should know and possibly implement to succeed at a more higher level.

Triple asterisk (***Advanced): What you could implement to maximise your potential, but not necessary.

1. Sensitivity.

*If you're going to be successful in Saber duels, you need to play at least above 30% soldier sensitivity. Anything less, and your inability to rotate fast enough will severely hinder your ability to react defensively and limit your offensive capabilities. ~50% is ideal, the best Saber players I know play on 70%+.

2. Types of dashing.

*Default dashing, self explanatory. Dash to avoid unblockable attacks, cover ground quicker, or dash through an opponent's mass for a back slash etc.

*Back dashing - dashing backwards, great for turtling. Constant back dashing makes it very difficult for opponents to get behind you without considerable effort. Allowing you to recover health with no pressure, also often opening them up for a counter due to predictability and vulnerability.

**Bait dashing. False, unnecessary dashing with the intent of causing an error or opportunity for attack. Very simple but requires the ability to read and predict your opponent, whilst also ensuring you yourself are unable to be predicted by your opponent. Sprinting into an abrupt back dash could potentially trigger an instinctive reaction from your opponent like activating an ability, thus leaving them open to a counter like Choke or Freeze etc. for example.

Note: Better players will be able to read these consistently, so be careful not to over do it. You can just be equally caught in a punishment.

**Counter dashing involves simply dashing in the opposite direction OR in accordance with an opponent's anticipated move or attack. This prevents opponents from getting behind you for a back slash or maximising their damage output from an ability. Rey's MT is very easy to avoid by doing this for example.

***This also allows you counter attack if you dash in accordance to your opponents attack i.e if you correctly predict your opponent is going to attempt a dash through back slash for example, you then time your own back dash just before they initiate theirs - usually catching them with an unexpected slash of your own or ability as they're caught up in their own attempt to back slash you.

3. Types of standard attack.

*Default slashes are the most common, can be used in combinations with abilities, calculated back dashes and counter dashes, or repeatedly spammed for the most effectiveness​ when necessary i.e high backslashing DPS potential or draining blocking stamina on turtles with low blocking stamina like Anakin and GG. Tracking, speed and hit detection varies from Hero to Hero naturally.

*Back slashes are also fairly common, but should always be prioritized over standard slashes whenever possible for the slight damage increase. Dashing through > back slash is one of the most widely used and effective tactic, but also very predictable.

**Jump slashes are a bit more niche in their usage, consume more stamina but have more utility. You use jump slashes as a subsidiary for slow or clunky standard slashing animations for certain Heroes i.e Yoda, GG, Dooku etc. 

**You can also use jump slashes to trade with someone who spams with a lower risk of receiving damage due to the forward momentum carried from it, harder to track and hit a non stationary target. As well as the larger hit boxes that most jump slashes have, allowing you to hit from more tighter ranges/angles from a slightly safer distance.

Note: the effectiveness of this is determined by the size of your Heroes own hit box, and the speed at which the jump slash carries you forward. Maul > Vader in this regard for example.

***Jump slashes can also be utilised to angle an attack around an opponent, bypassing their block entirely provided they don't anticipate and counter dash. Some jump slashes have large hit boxes because of the return swing of the animation, Luke and Rey's for example. Its just a matter of positioning yourself at an angle to the far side of the blocking player, then jump slashing inwards and torwards them, rotating the camera around them, the momentum allowing you to strike them essentially from behind with little time for counter play.

Note: I'd recommend playing on at least 40% soldier sensitivity to do this consistently. Ideally anything above.

4. Stamina management.

*Managing and being aware of your stamina bar is absolutely crucial, don't be afraid to back off of fights to temporarily recover. Similarly don't over exert yourself by over slashing. Pacing yourself in fights is essential in being able to compete long enough without being caught up in needing to constantly recover and thus mitigates your exposure to damage.

*Use natural cover to regain stamina when you need lower your block. Similarly, using certain abilities that have a relatively long duration like HM or UA are great for recovery periods. However be aware this lull in combat is mutually beneficial to your opponent, as they will likely use this time to recover too.

*Be aware of your own Heroes stamina recovery speed and pool, and play in relation to this. This is going into individual Hero tips, which isn't the purpose of this guide. But just make sure you're playing in relation with this. i.e don't play Anakin like you would play Luke or Rey, the so called "dancing around people" strat which people like to commonly phrase. You just won't have the stamina for it, and it'll get you killed, as this is the gameplay of Heroes with a high stamina recovery and pool to begin with.

**Consider your opponents individual playstyle. Are they reserved? Or are they really aggressive? These are things you should consider in the opening stages of a duel and should determine how you approach the fight, regardless of Heroes in play. If they're reserved and cautious, maintain a high pressure and try and inflict chip damage wherever possible, however always wary of a sudden counter.  If they're​ aggressive, just play passively and play for a pick, or simply turtle and wait them out until they need to recover, then launch a sudden attack of your own. You get the jist, entirely situational. Your ability understand opponents greatly affects your ability to adapt your playstyle.

***Being able to read and understand your opponent or the flow of a duel is critical in higher levels. This will occur naturally over time through experience of numerous duels against varying degrees of skill, but this is a good practice to pick up early.

**Understanding your opponents stamina usage is quite important too. Consider what Hero they are using and the strengths and weaknesses of their individual stamina pools and/or abilities that complement this. For example, GG has comparitively poor attacking and blocking stamina to most Heroes, but has great abilities to recover. You'd need to balance an offensive and defensive mindset in accordance to the situation. Attack when he exerts himself, but be cautious of his abilities that allow him to recover. It's a bit of a fine line.

**Another quick example is Obi Wan, high blocking stamina, only average attacking stamina. Almost every time RMT is utilised 99.9% of Obi Wan players will become ultra aggressive and continually try to back slash you. If you manage you survive this, you need to counter attack hard while his stamina is recovering as he most likely blew it all attempting to punish you for the duration of RMT.

5. Intelligent and well timed usage of abilities.

Note: This is really hard to define clear cut without touching on individual Heroes, which I don't wanna do in this guide, so excuse some of the vagueness.

*Abilities win fights, therefore don't waste them if a suitable opportunity doesn't present itself, especially for the more powerful ones like Choke, Frenzy, and Pull Dominance. Try to either chain them within a combo or at the end of one, where an opponent would least expect it to occur. Using abilities to counter an opponent's actions is the most ideal situation, as it limits your own risk of taking punishment, if one countered appropriately, whilst maximising your chances of inflicting your own punishment.

*The utility of self buffs such as Presence or Focused Rage should also be considered. Sometimes it's better to leave them for the mid engagement when you need to recover health or a slightly less stamina drain, to just gain that slight edge. Other times it might be better to pop it immediately before an engagement, and maximise your effectiveness overall and early in order to quickly take max health from your opponent. This is down mostly to personal preference.

**Understand the damage, range, and utility values of your abilities. This is more down to game knowledge, and less emphasis on mechanical skill. Just be aware of what abilities to use and when, whatever the situation pertains. Sometimes the ability that allows for the best damage or allow you inflict the most damage might not be best used offensively, rather defensively. Freeing you up to recover if it necessary, sacrifice damage over stability depending on its utility. Also note the importance of using your abilities within and around the line of their maximum range. Most players generally underestimate this, but you can easily catch opponent out with their guard lowered if your positioning relative to the maximum range of your ability is on point. 

Some generic examples:

*Basic example as Luke; Jump slash > Rush > Repulse > Rush etc. the aim would be to catch them on the back dash as they try to avoid the Rushes or back slashes from you dashing constantly through them. The knockdown of Repulse allowing for free punishment. Rushes would be great for trading on an opening with lower risk of punishment, jump slashes perform a similar albeit less effective role. 

**A slightly more intermediate example as Vader; Choke > back slash/jump slash > Saber throw. The objective here is to catch an opponent that overextends or makes a mistake with an absurd punishment combination. Turtling and/or baiting until you catch them with a Choke, then performing the above mentioned combo, deals significant 400+ damage consistently​, more with other factors considered. This is great for whittling down a tanky Hero, like Yoda or Anakin. 

***A really advanced example as Maul; Choke-hold =/= any other CC in the game. Basically a frame trick, but Maul's Choke-hold has I guess what you could call 'CC priority' over other CC abilities in the game. Meaning that if you use it within the same frame as Unleash, Pull, Repulse etc. Maul will still receive damage but will be unaffected by the CC as it has priority, whereas your opponent will. This is a great counter play and allows for an opening for a quick Spin/slash combo as your opponent is recovering from the knockdown.

***Another really advanced example as Kylo; slight jump > Pull > Freeze > back slash > Frenzy. Another frame trick essentially, but you can chain both Pull and Freeze in quick succession to effectively break any block of any Hero due to the stagger. You need to a very miniscule jump, barely high enough to just trigger the jumping Pull animation, this is so you can trigger the Freeze animation near instantly when you land. The stagger from the Pull allows an opening for Freeze. Your opponent is now completely vulnerable and open to a very lethal back slash into Frenzy combination. Just ensure you wait for them to expend their dash first before using Frenzy, as you will then maximise your stagger and damage output potential of three consecutive hits. 

Well that's all I can think of right now, might add more minute details later. If I miss anything be sure to let me know. I don't play anymore so I'm sure I've missed some of the newer, more niche strats if any have become known.

Thanks you for reading and hopefully this post can help you in becoming a better player overall. Good luck.

Replies

• CC_1010
    2190 posts Member
    Nice Guide. I think a lot comes down to experience with the characters. And honestly... they are not really made for 1v1 scenarios. Vader can pretty much 2v1 any combo out there.
    timing youre abilities and remembering the timing of your enemy’s is also something to consider. A landed force choke is something that can decide the match before it even started.
  • CC_1010 said:
    Nice Guide. I think a lot comes down to experience with the characters. And honestly... they are not really made for 1v1 scenarios. Vader can pretty much 2v1 any combo out there.
    timing youre abilities and remembering the timing of your enemy’s is also something to consider. A landed force choke is something that can decide the match before it even started.
    Yeah most definitely, but we gotta make do with what we can can't we? Hopefully DICE addresses the balance issues so that perhaps we can get some semblance of fair 1v1s soon.

Thanks also.
  • OcDoc
    1957 posts Member
    Fantastic!
  • OcDoc said:
    Fantastic!
    Appreciate it man. Hope it helped.
  • Nice man, just one thing I’m extremely used to 20% soldier sensitivity and I do fine in 1v1s
  • CC_1010
    2190 posts Member
    Nice man, just one thing I’m extremely used to 20% soldier sensitivity and I do fine in 1v1s
    Yep. You can do this. I personally always have to switch form 30%(solider) to 50%(Getting used to sabers again) and then I go up to 70%.
  • tts42572
    1147 posts Member
    edited August 2
    Nice guide.

Personally, I have very little patience when it comes to saber battles.  I don't run away like a chicken and don't constantly back up or whatever.  And I refuse to sit there just holding block while in a staring contest.

I don't care about winning enough in this game to bother.  There's no win/loss records, no stats.  I'm not wasting my time with foolishness.  Mash buttons, have it out....And see who comes out on top is my strategy :)
  • Nice man, just one thing I’m extremely used to 20% soldier sensitivity and I do fine in 1v1s
    Well if it works for you so far I don't see any reason to change it.

But better players will be able to exploit your inability to react faster to things.
  • tts42572 said:
    Nice guide.

Personally, I have very little patience when it comes to saber battles.  I don't run away like a chicken and don't constantly back up or whatever.  And I refuse to sit there just holding block while in a staring contest.

I don't care about winning enough in this game to bother.  There's no win/loss records, no stats.  I'm not wasting my time with foolishness.  Mash buttons, have it out....And see who comes out on top is my strategy :)
    Fair enough, lmao.
  • OcDoc
    1957 posts Member
    OcDoc said:
    Fantastic!
    Technically for me I don’t need much help right now but I love the way you laid it out and really hope some newer players take the time to give it a good read and maybe try to implement some of the concepts. 
  • All anyone needs to know about saber combat is that block doesn't work 50-75% of the time and most force powers are unreliable at best. 
  • OcDoc said:
    OcDoc said:
    Fantastic!
    Technically for me I don’t need much help right now but I love the way you laid it out and really hope some newer players take the time to give it a good read and maybe try to implement some of the concepts. 
    Completely understandable, this was primarily aimed at beginners/slightly experienced players looking to improve. Veterans are familiar with all or most of these concepts anyways.

Thanks for the kind words man.
  • Fantastic thread that I'm sure will help hundreds of players. Even though this obviously won't help me.

FYI I know you lol

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . .

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars—

I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours

• Fantastic thread that I'm sure will help hundreds of players. Even though this obviously won't help me.

FYI I know you lol
    Yeah that's the aim lol, hopefully it does especially for the newer ones. Appreciate it.

Hmm can't say I recognise your name man,  You on Xbox and have we played?
  • Very great thread!
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • DiamondxStyles
    982 posts Member
    edited August 3
    Fantastic thread that I'm sure will help hundreds of players. Even though this obviously won't help me.

FYI I know you lol
    Yeah that's the aim lol, hopefully it does especially for the newer ones. Appreciate it.

We haven't actually formally met to my knowledge, but Fear, Adam, Opt, Lag, Warfare above ^^ Jedi, All8 have.

We've only met like once though iirc

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . .

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars—

I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours

• Very great thread!
    Thanks man!
  • Good info for new players. Ive played against you on xbox btw🤣 SWSLAWNMOWERMAN

FYI I know you lol

We haven't actually formally met to my knowledge, but Fear, Adam, Opt, Lag, Warfare above ^^ Jedi, All8 have.

We've only met like once though iirc

Yeah, recognise all of those names. Great players and just chill people overall.

If we played it would've had to be a while back, haven't seen anyone notable in pubs for ages haha.
  • Havnt played in almost two months. We moved to a super country part of Tennessee where internet is barely available. But just last week they finally ran fiber to where i live and i have my install scheduled foe thursday! Cant wait to get back on the battlefront! Although I am now working 60 hours a week so I won't be able to play nearly as much as before.
  • Good info for new players. Ive played against you on xbox btw🤣 SWSLAWNMOWERMAN
    Yeah thanks dude, primarily aimed at them tbh.

You have? Hmm I can't seem to remember your tag man, when was this?

Honestly couldnt tell you exactly when havnt played in two months but I know Ive seen your tag. I cant recall if i played against you or with you. I have over 2000 hours in game, at least 75% of which is HvV. Im usually with a squad of my buddies tho but i know weve played at least once. Your tag is very familiar.
  • if i remember which button does what in the heat of the moment i'm doing ok. forget about trying to figure out where the enemy's gone when he disappears from the tv screen - is he to my left/right/above/below/behind me?
  • Clone201
    3895 posts Member
    edited August 3
    Alex64 said:
    Just push attack button several times until the enemy goes down
    Nice one there. While using saber spam tactics as such are pretty powerful at times (needlessly OP in general), you can't just run into action expecting success with it everytime, especially not in Hero Showdown.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?

Honestly couldnt tell you exactly when havnt played in two months but I know Ive seen your tag. I cant recall if i played against you or with you. I have over 2000 hours in game, at least 75% of which is HvV. Im usually with a squad of my buddies tho but i know weve played at least once. Your tag is very familiar.
    Yeah fair enough.

I also have over 2000 hours and like 85% of it is HvV/HS, especially within the last few months, so it's very likely we've run into each other before. 

Just can't remember when or what happened, lol.
  • if i remember which button does what in the heat of the moment i'm doing ok. forget about trying to figure out where the enemy's gone when he disappears from the tv screen - is he to my left/right/above/below/behind me?
    Yeah situational awareness and tracking is very important. 

Especially against higher mobility characters like Maul.
  • Yeah Maul can be tough to track but once he uses his spin attacks up you've got a brief window to close the gap and punish him. His choke is blockable and his saber throw is low damage and can be jumped over. The issue is his spin attacks refill pretty quickly so you have to time your attacks and damage him in chunks.
  • Alex64 said:
    Just push attack button several times until the enemy goes down
    Viable with how awful the servers are at the moment. 
  • @YoungBlood_YRN any chance you might make an updated version of this (perhaps even with videos) in the future? It’s a great guide and I still like referring people to it.