criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Question about block mechanic

TiNie
308 posts Member
Hello!

After you block a lightsaber strike or a force power with a lightsaber block are you for a short time vulnerable to strikes and other force powers?
I see characters stagger a bit and I know in the past it was possible for Kylo to freeze "through" a block, while using force pull and freeze one after the other.
With other words, is your lightsaber block down for a short time, after blocking a lightsaber strike or a force power?
Thx.

Replies

  • bfloo
    16093 posts Member
    Sometimes
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • OcDoc
    2021 posts Member
    Wish I knew officially.  It certainly behaves that way at times. 
  • TiNie
    308 posts Member
    Okay, so no official statement. 
    Sad but true and thx.
  • DiamondxStyles
    1764 posts Member
    edited August 7
    TiNie wrote: »
    Hello!

    After you block a lightsaber strike or a force power with a lightsaber block are you for a short time vulnerable to strikes and other force powers?
    I see characters stagger a bit and I know in the past it was possible for Kylo to freeze "through" a block, while using force pull and freeze one after the other.
    With other words, is your lightsaber block down for a short time, after blocking a lightsaber strike or a force power?
    Thx.

    Yeah it does

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • It's not supposed to be like that but because this game is a broken, buggy mess, it often is just like that.
  • MerovechI wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be like that but because this game is a broken, buggy mess, it often is just like that.

    Not true. It's a mechanic

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • MerovechI
    126 posts Member
    edited August 9
    MerovechI wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be like that but because this game is a broken, buggy mess, it often is just like that.

    Not true. It's a mechanic

    No it's not. If that were the case, then blocking stamina would be pointless and holding block would 'never' block multiple attacks (it does...sometimes), and Anakin's Passionate Strike would be even more useless.

    Stagger was supposed to have been removed back in April when saber combat changed. Of course, in typical DICE fashion, it still rears its head from time to time. It's not supposed to though.

    Because it was removed


    In April
  • DiamondxStyles
    1764 posts Member
    edited August 9
    MerovechI wrote: »
    MerovechI wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be like that but because this game is a broken, buggy mess, it often is just like that.

    Not true. It's a mechanic

    No it's not. If that were the case, then blocking stamina would be pointless and holding block would 'never' block multiple attacks (it does...sometimes), and Anakin's Passionate Strike would be even more useless.

    Stagger was supposed to have been removed back in April when saber combat changed. Of course, in typical DICE fashion, it still rears its head from time to time. It's not supposed to though.

    Because it was removed


    In April

    Lmfao. Funniest thing I've heard today. Tell me how even more ways to get through someone's block is "pointless", rather than being, you know: additional ways to break someone's block.

    Wait, what? Your logic is that blocking wouldn't deflect multiple attacks, when it isn't even saber swings that cause stagger? (only when you miss an attack from behind your guard) lol

    Stagger on deflecting attacks was removed back in April. In typical DICE fashion, as it always has stood, Abilities still cause stagger, allowing for blocks to be broken.

    Can you point me towards a certain patch note that said "abilities", for instance: Detonite, Repulse, or Shoulder Charge, are not supposed to cause stagger? If not, then I won't take your word for it

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • Oh wait, the topic creator asked about swings too. That's why you mentioned swings.

    No, swings don't ever cause stagger unless someone hits you from the side or behind and you fail at catching it with your block in time

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • MerovechI
    126 posts Member
    edited August 9
    Oh wait, the topic creator asked about swings too. That's why you mentioned swings.

    No, swings don't ever cause stagger unless someone hits you from the side or behind and you fail at catching it with your block in time

    Next time, before you attempt to get snarky with someone, perhaps read the original post.

    And you're actually wrong: while stagger was "removed" from saber attack blocking, it still happen often (DICE isn't very good at play testing nor bug fixing) and even sometimes turns your avatar sideways now, exposing your back and leaving you completely vulnerable. None of this is supposed to happen; but it does nonetheless.

    Stagger from blocking force powers is largely inconsequential in my experience; which I have a couple of thousand hours of at this point.
  • DiamondxStyles
    1764 posts Member
    edited August 10
    MerovechI wrote: »
    Oh wait, the topic creator asked about swings too. That's why you mentioned swings.

    No, swings don't ever cause stagger unless someone hits you from the side or behind and you fail at catching it with your block in time

    Next time, before you attempt to get snarky with someone, perhaps read the original post.

    And you're actually wrong: while stagger was "removed" from saber attack blocking, it still happen often (DICE isn't very good at play testing nor bug fixing) and even sometimes turns your avatar sideways now, exposing your back and leaving you completely vulnerable. None of this is supposed to happen; but it does nonetheless.

    Stagger from blocking force powers is largely inconsequential in my experience; which I have a couple of thousand hours of at this point.

    Lol, I didn't apologize. I only specified.

    Saber swings still cause stagger from side or behind, so I didn't make any mistake, aside from being too general.

    And actually you're wrong: show me a video of you staggering from the front that wasn't the result of a hitbox merge from a close dash. Just a regular guy spamming you down, and you staggering

    Stagger from blocking Force powers is inconsequential? Lmao, that's one of the most important features of abilities

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!