Reasons why I think Battlefront 2 (2017) is the true EA / DICE flagship right now and not BFV
Most of the following is just my opinion, based on what I've seen the past 15 years. So take it with a grain of salt, I have no idea how hard it is to program these games (I hear Frostbite engine is real hard but great customization).
I don't think the majority want to play WW2 games these days. To be fair I was playing Call of Duty also since its beginning also, and it was primarily a WW2 game. But did you notice, that after they came out with COD Modern Warfare in 07, that Activision won't let modern warfare go? How many reboots and remasters of Modern Warfare are they going to make? Its like the Spiderman movies. I have no idea how many and how quickly that those have been mode. Supposedly they are releasing another really good one that can do 50 vs 50 players in October. That is pretty interesting.
Its not that Battlefield V was WW2, and that it had women front line soldiers and all. WW2 mixed with fantasy has been used in games for a long time. Wolfenstein? The whole ***** X-Files and zombie thing bla bla bla.
I personally have no desire to play as a suitcase gyro copter when I have seen the stuff Battlefield 3 and 4 had for choppers. And after I tried a few missions of BFV it felt like the early millenium years all over again. I have no desire to redo all that.
Battlefield v reminds me of Battlefront 2015 in many ways. Its beautiful to look at, it just doesn't feel to me anyways like there is a good core game there. And I have played all the Battlefields (and most of the CODs).
I think I speak for many out there when I say to you, don't try to make a bigger Call Of Duty, make a BATTLEFIELD game.
This game, Battlefront 2 (2017), has a lot to offer. And besides big name brand power. Overall its just a fantasy game. Hovering tanks, clones, robots, monsters, plasma weapons, etc etc. The way I see it, its not that different than a Madden game. There are strategies there. HvV reminds me of Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. Capital Supremacy and Galactic Assault remind me of Battlefield. Blast reminds me of Call Of Duty, Strike reminds me of Team Fortress. Elements of the speed of CS and GA reminds me of Quake 3, AVP 2, and RTCW. And of course starfighter assault reminds me of Rogue Squadron. Its as if....this one game.......has the video game dna of so many great games inside it.
I just don't see how Battlefield V holds a candle to any of that. So here's what I think should be done in future Battlefield and Battlefront games.
1. Destructive environments - This adds so much to the games IMO, it allows things to be different every match.
2. Instead of levelution, try day / night cycles, storms / rain / wind. Have these things random every time.
3. Modern environments - whether its current day or far future.
4. Vehicles, vehicles, VEHICLES!!! - IMO the most important of all, absolutely tons and tons of vehicles, land sea and air. Doesn't matter if its a skateboard, or a submarine, or a bulldozer. There needs to be things the player can interact with on the maps and enter / exit with a single button press not a timer. It was so interesting for Battlefield 3 back to walk up to an air vehicle and get in and actually take off from the runway in the vehicle VS spawning it. This is also the case for the 04 and 05 Battlefronts, being able to walk up to a Tie Fighter, take off in a vtol speeder mode, then shift to a jet mode. Or walk in a hanger to a ship and fly out of a dock into space (the Rogue Squadron games did that also to an extent). Maybe its silly? But IMO it adds alot.
5. Speed - That seems to be key in not just Star Wars games but all games from arcade to console. Absolutely nothing less than 60 fps, and I hear around that 120 fps may become the new standard for games. Oh and umm, the speed between being fragged and respawning again ready to go live and on the map. Maybe a bit of time is needed as a small break? I dunno.
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
- 42.3K General Discussion
- 4.6K Gameplay Discussion
- 8.9K Feedback & Suggestions
- 603 Community Events and Creations
- 1.5K Star Wars™ Battlefront II Recruitment
- 3K Off-topic