criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Triple XP Event

Having an argument with a friend about Reys character. Opinions?

13Next

Replies

• She’s a goddess

The movies are a joke. The first one was a carbon copy of New Hope, the last jedi was hot garbage but they have some great graphics (sound familiar?) and daisy is beautiful but such a random character.

Star Wars is just a cash cow to them, they have no vision

While it’s very unlikely it’ll ever see the light of day, I still am very curious to see what Lucas’ outline/plan for the ST story arc was. It’d be nice if Disney were to release it a year or so after episode IX comes out (or someone could send a letter asking his/her congressman to subpoena it, lol - I’m a Washingtonian).
  • Werowe4 wrote: »
    She’s a goddess

The movies are a joke. The first one was a carbon copy of New Hope, the last jedi was hot garbage but they have some great graphics (sound familiar?) and daisy is beautiful but such a random character.

While it’s very unlikely it’ll ever see the light of day, I still am very curious to see what Lucas’ outline/plan for the ST story arc was. It’d be nice if Disney were to release it a year or so after episode IX comes out (or someone could send a letter asking his/her congressman to subpoena it, lol - I’m a Washingtonian).

All I have heard is he gave them bullet points but not the whole story. I would also love to hear his version. Just being Star Wars fans we deserve the REAL story.
  • The star wars we loved, is truly dead. Hollywood will milk it dry, if it hasn't happened already. There are no new ideas, just shameless cash grabs. George had vision, everything fit together. Now it's just sickening. Hearing about Ruin Johnson's trilogy makes me cringe. Make something else , because it surely will be star wars in name only.
    She’s a goddess

All I have heard is he gave them bullet points but not the whole story. I would also love to hear his version. Just being Star Wars fans we deserve the REAL story.

Completely agree. At the end of the day, even if Disney acquired the company/rights, Lucas is the author and thus we really should see his version, good or bad, and even if incomplete in outline format only, if we really want to get an idea of his complete vision for the story arc of the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker (I’ve always considered the underlying structure of his story to be a classical Greek heroic tragedy presented in a futuristic/sci-fi setting).

Without this disclosure, I think the story will always feel incomplete to the fans. A parallel that comes to mind is, what if JK Rowling had sold the rights to HP after book 5? Regardless of what the purchaser published thereafter, wouldn’t it still be missing something without the original author’s intentions?

//prob somewhat off-topic; sorry
    Werowe4 wrote: »
    She’s a goddess

Completely agree. At the end of the day, even if Disney acquired the company/rights, Lucas is the author and thus we really should see his version, good or bad, and even if incomplete in outline format only, if we really want to get an idea of his complete vision for the story arc of the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker (I’ve always considered the underlying structure of his story to be a classical Greek heroic tragedy presented in a futuristic/sci-fi setting).

Without this disclosure, I think the story will always feel incomplete to the fans. A parallel that comes to mind is, what if JK Rowling had sold the rights to HP after book 5? Regardless of what the purchaser published thereafter, wouldn’t it still be missing something without the original author’s intentions?

Well said. But at the end of the day 4 BILLION does sound like a nice retirement 😂. Should’ve went with half of that to oversee it all. Oh well
    Werowe4 wrote: »
    She’s a goddess

Well said. But at the end of the day 4 BILLION does sound like a nice retirement 😂. Should’ve went with half of that to oversee it all. Oh well

I don’t think he’ll be able to fully let go of his creation, tbh. I expect that after episode IX has come and gone, he’ll become more vocal on his thoughts on the direction Disney took his work (especially if IX ends up with mixed or poor box office performance).
  • Nerdrotic (YT) uploaded two videos with Star Wars rumors(!) that Lucas had kept the rights to the ot/pt characters and is rather licensing them to Disney- which is why they cannot kill them off fast enough.

Again, it’s only rumors- but I like his uploads.

• Before I get started, I’m going to talk a little about myself as it seems necessary to even begin to have a proper discussion:
    - Luke is nowhere near my favourite Star Wars character, I have never been that interested in him
    - I despise fan theories, personal and friendly speculation is absolutely fine, but fan theories are just abysmal
    - I am not here to talk about the politics around and outside of Star Wars, purely just the story and universe itself
    Now that that is out of the way, Rey is a Mary Sue (and I am allowed to say that as it is a genuine character archetype in story-telling, there is also the male variant - Gary Stu - so it is nit a sexist term).
    Rey is a nobody who grew up on a hell-hole of a world as a scavenger, so it makes sense that she is good with ship mechanics and that she can fight with a staff, however, this does not mean she can fly the ships or use a lightsaber. Now there is the answer that she had her own flight-sim in which she learned how to fly, but that is bull. Learning to fly a fighter on a sim does not mean you can actually fly a real fighter, never mind a completely different ship like a freighter.
    Her using a mind-trick is bull, it was shown directly in the Clone Wars that it takes a lot if practice to pull it off, told to us by Ahsoka. The explanation for Rey was that she tapped into Kylo’s mind during the probing and ‘downloaded’ how to do it. First of all, humans cannot download information and then know instantly how to perform said thing, they can only learn, but then have to practice. For example, say I watched a video on how to do a back flip, that does not mean I will instantly be able to do one after watching, I would have to practice. Rey had no practice with the mind-trick, she just did it because the plot needed her to.
    Now onto the fight with Kylo, regardless of whether he lost because he was injured or not......he lost. This means that the only villain left to face in the ST is someone who the protagonist has defeated already, there is no longer any tension or build up for the finale, as we already know that Rey can defeat Kylo.
    In TLJ, Rey supposedly went to Luke for training, in which he didn’t actually train her whilst she was there apart from verbal lessons. She then leaves to redeem Kylo and ends up fighting like a Jedi Master when only a few days to a week ago, she didn’t even know the Force was real.......huh?
    I’ll stop there as those are my major gripes with Rey, but I think you all get the gist
  • I’m very surprised that this hasn’t been moved to off topic yet.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Laser921
    2133 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    The star wars we loved, is truly dead. Hollywood will milk it dry, if it hasn't happened already. There are no new ideas, just shameless cash grabs. George had vision, everything fit together. Now it's just sickening. Hearing about Ruin Johnson's trilogy makes me cringe. Make something else , because it surely will be star wars in name only.

I said after TFA came out that any new Star Wars, meaning after this trilogy, should either be a prequel (like a thousand years prior to Ep 1) or a sequel (a thousand years after episode 9) because honestly, they need to get away from the OT characters WITHOUT just killing them off in semi lame ways. Luke was given a decent death I think, but Hans was just lame as crap for me,
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Laser921
    2133 posts Member
    Luke probably is my favorite hero, I mean I play as him any chance I can in Battlefront buts thats because the changes theyve made are much better now, Also, I was born after ROTJ but before Ep 1, you know how it is growing up. You se a character in a favorite movie and you imagine yourself in that characters shoes, that sort of thing. So yes, when they killed of Luke, I was a mite unhappy but at least they gave a proper send off, unlike Han, which I get the emotional part of it but it just felt weak to me. (And most likely, Lando will get the hammer too. If Chewie does, we all riot, you cant make the Wookiee have a bad!@#! tantrum in TFA (after Han dies and he goes on a rampage) and then do awesome flying on Crait and then kill him off.))

Rey is an ok character but the problem is that there is no challenge in her journey. Now this would have been a good idea in my books, shes a neophyte padawan but isnt as skilled with a lightsaber or force or piloting thus meaning shes more reliant on people like Chewie, Finn, et al.

But my real critique of the new movies as I said before is really the background state of the galaxy. I hate the idea of the Resistance, would it have really been that hard to have the NR have a proper military force (who demilitarizes when you know you enemy for however many years the GCW was, is still out there AND you know about the First Order??)) and the Resistance exist at the same time? But no, the made the New Republic look even worse than the Galactic Republic and honestly, it felt like the story group basically was saying that one of the overarching goals of the OT was nada. I mean the Rebel Alliance's goal was to recreate the Republic but then it only gets a small bit of screen time before their capital is destroyed, I feel like its unimaginative. And to people who say the New Republic is destroyed, it was just their capital and a star system, they are a galaxy spanning government. If Disney wants to redeem star wars, at least in the sense, in my eyes, copy the idea of Designated Survivor (the actual process, not the show :D ) where some senators and military official were not in the Hosnian System since all your leadership in one place has the potential for disaster if attacked. Then in Ep Nine, have what remains of NR military and/or special forces link up with what remains of the Resistance and whatever theses allies in the Rim are and then maybe we can see a proper fight, one with equal technology on both sides and then do whatever with Rey and Kylo. I do think, no matter what, Episode 9 is going to be iffy since JJ introduced some stuff in TFA, Johnson basically disregarded some of that stuff in Last Jedi, so ROS might be a little "iffy" for lack of a better word.
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • You know the ST reminds me of little kids wanting to play dress up and wanting to be a star wars movie. The ST is boring, unoriginal, and a cheap knock off of what George Lucas's has already done..... The ST it a sad attempt of being a trilogy and it is unworthy of being in the star wars category.
  • Laser921 wrote: »
    Luke probably is my favorite hero, I mean I play as him any chance I can in Battlefront buts thats because the changes theyve made are much better now, Also, I was born after ROTJ but before Ep 1, you know how it is growing up. You se a character in a favorite movie and you imagine yourself in that characters shoes, that sort of thing. So yes, when they killed of Luke, I was a mite unhappy but at least they gave a proper send off, unlike Han, which I get the emotional part of it but it just felt weak to me. (And most likely, Lando will get the hammer too. If Chewie does, we all riot, you cant make the Wookiee have a bad!@#! tantrum in TFA (after Han dies and he goes on a rampage) and then do awesome flying on Crait and then kill him off.))

Rey is an ok character but the problem is that there is no challenge in her journey. Now this would have been a good idea in my books, shes a neophyte padawan but isnt as skilled with a lightsaber or force or piloting thus meaning shes more reliant on people like Chewie, Finn, et al.

But my real critique of the new movies as I said before is really the background state of the galaxy. I hate the idea of the Resistance, would it have really been that hard to have the NR have a proper military force (who demilitarizes when you know you enemy for however many years the GCW was, is still out there AND you know about the First Order??)) and the Resistance exist at the same time? But no, the made the New Republic look even worse than the Galactic Republic and honestly, it felt like the story group basically was saying that one of the overarching goals of the OT was nada. I mean the Rebel Alliance's goal was to recreate the Republic but then it only gets a small bit of screen time before their capital is destroyed, I feel like its unimaginative. And to people who say the New Republic is destroyed, it was just their capital and a star system, they are a galaxy spanning government. If Disney wants to redeem star wars, at least in the sense, in my eyes, copy the idea of Designated Survivor (the actual process, not the show :D ) where some senators and military official were not in the Hosnian System since all your leadership in one place has the potential for disaster if attacked. Then in Ep Nine, have what remains of NR military and/or special forces link up with what remains of the Resistance and whatever theses allies in the Rim are and then maybe we can see a proper fight, one with equal technology on both sides and then do whatever with Rey and Kylo. I do think, no matter what, Episode 9 is going to be iffy since JJ introduced some stuff in TFA, Johnson basically disregarded some of that stuff in Last Jedi, so ROS might be a little "iffy" for lack of a better word.

On exploring the background of the galaxy, beyond just the political situation of the galaxy at a given time, I’ve always thought exploring more of the society and related societal changes throughout the periods would be really interesting. You could kind of see this in the Clone Wars series as the Coruscant society gradually went from a completely peaceful and generally egalitarian, well-off society (albeit with some corruption) at the onset to a heavily militarized and stratified one, with an openly corrupt elite (ex. by season 5 in the To Catch a Jedi arc, there’s now a whole military complex complete with huge trooper statues on the surface areas of Coruscant).
  • SQJACKIE
    1137 posts Member
    edited August 17
    I hate the way she never is in danger. She solves everything. In TFA she defeated Kylo. In TLJ she defeated Luke and praetorian guards letting you know that she can use the lightsaber like a fully trained jedi. In TFA she showed how great she is piloting ships, aiming Finn's cannon for him when it got stucked. And in TLJ she destroyed thre TIEs with a single shot because she is great at shooting too. And in the same scene she lifted a lot of rocks with no effort. Why? Who knows...