criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Should CC Immunity on Jump Slashes be brought back?

DiamondxStyles
954 posts Member
edited August 12
This was a nice little trick I loved using; hated the first day I found out it was removed, but I just readjusted. I remember it sped up lightsaber encounters, especially so in 2v2's or when the 2v2 turns into a 1v1, because it created a shield from Force abilities when jump slashing and allowed a quick opponent to get around an enemy's guard. This prevented a lot of pansies from just dashing backward or opposite of you and waiting 20 seconds for their major ability (such as a choke+swing+throw or HM+Pull+swing) to return off cooldown, failing, and repeating till they might land one.

What do you guys think about this old, and mostly unnoticed feature? Personally I would love it in HS as it adds a slight extra element of skill back to slow encounters.

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . .

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars—

I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours

Replies

• Keep in mind it also still used to do the full effect in damage.

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . .

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars—

• 3oeyumx4dpwe.gif

• 3oeyumx4dpwe.gif

Any reason? You just didn't like it? Or was it "unbalanced", and how so?

• 3oeyumx4dpwe.gif

Hated when someone is running away & they jump slash to ignore my force ability. CC immunity has really dumbed the game down let's not give all the saber heroes immunity
  • DiamondxStyles
    954 posts Member
    edited August 12
    3oeyumx4dpwe.gif

Hated when someone is running away & they jump slash to ignore my force ability. CC immunity has really dumbed the game down let's not give all the saber heroes immunity

Favoring the use of abilities over movement dumbed small encounters far more than CC immunity. At least in HS. In HvV, I guess it can be seen as a fair objection

With or without, I'll do fine, but fighting a block pansy that's decent enough with dashes to keep their max health while abilities recharge is tedious. Especially if they have decent turn coordination. A character like Maul or Rey has little to nothing in their arsenal to prevent it compared to a Vader (who can stagger with a side-positioned saber throw and get a choke, or Yoda who can go through blocks, or Kenobi who can create his own openings, or Kylo who can pull and freeze a blocker in conjunction, etc)
    Post edited by DiamondxStyles on

• Speeding combat up promotes skill both in movement and reflexively and helps the flow of melee, over pressing one button to try completing an unlockable sequence every 20 seconds

• It was most likely not intentional or just lag. I was never able to replicate it in Arcade so I think it was just people thinking they could dodge stuff when it was just the lag.
    PSN: this_old_mouse
  • DiamondxStyles
    954 posts Member
    edited August 12
    It was most likely not intentional or just lag. I was never able to replicate it in Arcade so I think it was just people thinking they could dodge stuff when it was just the lag.

No, it was an actual feature that existed. Not sure if you were Arcade only, and perhaps it was specific to Multiplayer but it was certainly not lag as all of the older veteran players knew about it and used it. Though perhaps it wasn't an intentionally designed function.

Either way, it helped the flow of single combat with a lightsaber. I used to time Anakin's HM with a jump swing right after the animation so he would take the damage without ragdoll (though I took damage too of course)

• It was probably kinda how Maul could hold down the L2 button (before he shamefully got a block) to absorb force powers and not take the knockback
  • DiamondxStyles
    954 posts Member
    edited August 12
    It was probably kinda how Maul could hold down the L2 button (before he shamefully got a block) to absorb force powers and not take the knockback

Probably. Nevertheless, I think this "mechanic" was positive and aided the flow of saber to saber combat.

I'm one of the few people, at least it appears that way on the forums with the amount of complaints, that enjoy the game in the state it is in, but have always been interested in shifting the meta from abilities to saber combat and look for ways to make it more functional than the basicness that exists now. It's only fun when the other guy has skill and goes for attacks when his abilities are off CD to pick hits.

Jump Swinging on a person that used an ability too close and at the wrong time used to be a punish. Now passive ability pansies can force Draws if they are at least skilled enough in timing dashes properly, and have a powerful ability chain like the Choke and refuse to be baited in using it too quickly

• CC_1010
    2169 posts Member
    No. If you jump you expose yourself. We could also give everyone an “I win button” or “I am invincible button”.
  • DiamondxStyles
    954 posts Member
    edited August 13
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    No. If you jump you expose yourself. We could also give everyone an “I win button” or “I am invincible button”.

Oh yeah: The left trigger + B and then right or left bumper? Yeah good idea. They already added your buttons every 26 seconds. It's either that or the "Force Draw buttons"

It's even funnier because this feature existed since the beginning of the game to the most recent "Lightsaber Combat Update". That was only around March or Apr.

It turns out nobody was actually invincible or claiming instant wins all from the Beginning of this game up until March of 2019. Shocker
    Post edited by DiamondxStyles on

• this_old_mouse
    1331 posts Member
    edited August 13
    CC_1010 wrote: »

Oh yeah: The left trigger + B and then right or left bumper? Yeah good idea. They already added your buttons every 26 seconds. It's either that or the "Force Draw buttons"

It's even funnier because this feature existed since the beginning of the game to the most recent "Lightsaber Combat Update". That was only around March or Apr.

It turns out nobody was actually invincible or claiming instant wins all from the Beginning of this game up until March of 2019. Shocker
    I’m not trying to be insulting or ignorant here, but I’ve been jump-swinging ever since the game came out and I have never once experienced and kind of force blocking that some people are talking about. Granted I did stop playing as frequently around March-April when I started to see a few people reporting the possible bug, but so far I’ve never seen either conclusive evidence nor a good enough argument about it to prove to me that anything fishy is going on.
  • CC_1010 wrote: »

I’m not trying to be insulting or ignorant here, but I’ve been jump-swinging ever since the game came out and I have never once experienced and kind of force blocking that some people are talking about. Granted I did stop playing as frequently around March-April when I started to see a few people reporting the possible bug, but so far I’ve never seen either conclusive evidence nor a good enough argument about it to prove to me that anything fishy is going on.

Well I'm a skeptic when it comes to people's word, so we share that cynicism, but it's not like I'm going to go out hunting for an old example of this. If I happen to come across one though, I'll link it. Been look at old Target System vids

• DiamondxStyles
    954 posts Member
    edited August 14
    @this_old_mouse Well ironically enough I found an example in the very first video I watched. Several actually.

2:57 He avoids Kylo's pull
    9:55 He avoids Kylo's pull but the freeze gets him

It used to only provide CC immunity if the abilty hit you while at the vertex of your jump. Not as you were falling back down, regardless of whether you swing or not. Here, he dodged the pull, but the freeze hit as he was falling.

10:50 He avoids Vader's choke.
    14:30 avoids another choke(?) I think.

Clearly the player knows it's a feature, as every time he is escaping, he regularly swings while jumping when enemies are near. Watch the video and you'll probably catch more of these moments. 7:00 and 15:40 are some examples of him trying to use it as a shield just in case.

• There is no doubt that this existed previously. It was an especially great feature when Showdown resulted in a 1v1, because you could outskill a Choke or Pull and get a hit or two in. Now, pansies can just block and dash backward while waiting 20 seconds for an ability or to force a draw a lot of times.

• would like this and hitting through block with jump attack to come back tbh. I dont think I have ever played a game with worse 1v1 combat then this game currently has.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • I think that was unintentional. I like what you said about movement being more important for combat. I’d prefer the glitch come back that gave you unlimited dodges if you timed the button perfectly
  • To answer the question I don’t think it should come back. I kinda like the idea of a well timed button combo to provide Cc immunity I just thought it was weird that an attack move was the combo that did it
  • unit900000 wrote: »
    would like this and hitting through block with jump attack to come back tbh. I dont think I have ever played a game with worse 1v1 combat then this game currently has.

@unit900000 yeah that’s a great idea. Especially since jump swings use double stamina
  • UhOhItsJus wrote: »
    To answer the question I don’t think it should come back. I kinda like the idea of a well timed button combo to provide Cc immunity I just thought it was weird that an attack move was the combo that did it

Yeah, it's strange but at least it costed stamina to shield yourself like that, and was a punish move on people who use abilities too close and without thinking. I doubt the game will get so complex as to add a button combo that provides CC immunity, so I just opted for an easy, already preexisting feature.

Even if you don't like the way it operated (through a jump swing), wasn't it better than nothing?
    unit900000 wrote: »
    would like this and hitting through block with jump attack to come back tbh. I dont think I have ever played a game with worse 1v1 combat then this game currently has.

Completely agreed and glad to see someone recognize how much smoother it was with these features. The jump slash used to take up the role of the "heavy attack"

• Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    edited August 14
    3oeyumx4dpwe.gif

Cos you're using the typical Luke cheese.

(for the record, I agree with you ;) )

but yes, whatever happens to you once you jump in the air is your fault. As it should be.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.