criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission

Modern day music is trash.

Just a thought I wanted to share. I have a strong conviction that music, mostly that are categorized as mainstream and trending have only devolved and heavily dumbed down, and I can only see It continuing in this downward spiral. Most popular artists today make tasteless and talentless music, lack creativity with their repetitive, overused, or outright garbage riffs that are computer generated and probably were created for them. Lyrics are just meaningless, vulgar, simple minded, or plain weird to casually listen with a family member at your side without feeling embarrassed. Even their "singing skills" is a complete farce with all the autotune technology we have today, everything about their music is fake. I always preferred underground or indie type of artists, they seem to have alot more creative freedom and I always get the most interesting music from them, the music industry as a whole is in a severe crisis and even a babbling baby spanking some guitar strings is more entertaining and artistic. and dont understand how most of these guys get famous or why people idolize them, I guess some are just easily fascinated with anything.

Replies

• OcDoc
    1868 posts Member
    Been that way for quite a while now. Real shame.
  • Spiito
    1926 posts Member
    . . . But do you have examples for me to listen to?
    Show me the crap, and show me the good stuff, if you would be so kind to indulge me.
    Wknuto!
  • I would not call it trash, it is just more simplified music, there has been always different kind of music for different people. Mainstream music need to be dumbed down for reason and simplified to sell more and appeal more people. Simple melodies and beats can appeal more people than complex and more people like them all over the world, that is music business like it or not.

• Spiito wrote: »
    Show me the crap, and show me the good stuff, if you would be so kind to indulge me.

Maybe youre trying to tell me Its simply a matter of taste, but what you think is good or bad is irrelevant to real musical talent, this post is mostly talking about how modern artists are severely lacking a shred of genuine talent, what should be the correct measure stick to judge music. I can spot the crap in a heartbeat, turn on the radio, maybe take a look at youtubes's trending page, or just research what people are into. There is such a thing as being musicically bad, as my original post said, music today advertised to the massess is all together repetitive, uninspired and fake, nothing modern artists do is any better than what I can do with a guitar in my hands, or anything that an ordinary person is incapable of doing with the right resources, that's how much of a joke It is. If you like the crap, Its your choice and I can respect It. But there is no argument to the objective truth that there are musically bad losers out there pretending to be artists. Music today takes less than 5 minutes to make, composers in the past spent hours to months and even years in their work, thats why music used to be alot more interesting.
  • quenaelin wrote: »
    I would not call it trash, it is just more simplified music, there has been always different kind of music for different people. Mainstream music need to be dumbed down for reason and simplified to sell more and appeal more people. Simple melodies and beats can appeal more people than complex and more people like them all over the world, that is music business like it or not.

I like simple music, but I dont like trash. Simple music is not equivalent of simple minded and stupid, which is the type of artform Im getting from these so called musicians. Much of the music could be called simple back in the 50's and 60's, what set them apart from today is pure talent and creativity.
  • Spiito
    1926 posts Member
    RE: wrote:
    David1543 wrote: »
    Maybe youre trying to tell me Its simply a matter of taste, but what you think is good or bad is irrelevant to real musical talent, this post is mostly talking about how modern artists are severely lacking a shred of genuine talent, what should be the correct measure stick to judge music. I can spot the crap in a heartbeat, turn on the radio, maybe take a look at youtubes's trending page, or just research what people are into. There is such a thing as being musicically bad, as my original post said, music today advertised to the massess is all together repetitive, uninspired and fake, nothing modern artists do is any better than what I can do with a guitar in my hands, or anything that an ordinary person is incapable of doing with the right resources, that's how much of a joke It is. If you like the crap, Its your choice and I can respect It. But there is no argument to the objective truth that there are musically bad losers out there pretending to be artists. Music today takes less than 5 minutes to make, composers in the past spent hours to months and even years in their work, thats why music used to be alot more interesting.

So, "No."
    Okay.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Wknuto!
  • David1543 wrote: »
    quenaelin wrote: »
    I would not call it trash, it is just more simplified music, there has been always different kind of music for different people. Mainstream music need to be dumbed down for reason and simplified to sell more and appeal more people. Simple melodies and beats can appeal more people than complex and more people like them all over the world, that is music business like it or not.

I like simple music, but I dont like trash. Simple music is not equivalent of simple minded and stupid, which is the type of artform Im getting from these so called musicians. Much of the music could be called simple back in the 50's and 60's, what set them apart from today is pure talent and creativity.

Hard to know what people like, this is very subjective thing, I tought you meant too simplified music versus more complex classical music, whatever. Today there are very talented musicians, not all are trash. I don't really get your point here.
  • Alex64
    7673 posts Member
    depends on the genre, today's most popular music genres suck.
    Why so serious?
  • Batman20
    1868 posts Member
    edited August 20
    I agree all I listen to is rock music from the 60s to the early 90s. For example right now I'm listening to danger danger who I only discovered recently they are a late 80s early 90s glam band I suppose. I have zero interest in the majority of stuff released today but there are still some good bands like airbourne who I saw in concert recently
  • Rap/pop music in 2019

“Yeah yeah I’m a virgin I love you girl please love me I’m desperate *repeats same thing* haha girls are s___e objects haha lov me now.”

It goes on
  • David1543
    447 posts Member
    edited August 21
    Spiito wrote: »

So, "No."
    Okay.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, "No."
    Okay.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    [/quote]

Well Im not here to tell you what you should or should not listen to. Taste is subjective, Im just pointing out how the average person listens to inferior music compared to what It used to be.
  • Rap/pop music in 2019

“Yeah yeah I’m a virgin I love you girl please love me I’m desperate *repeats same thing* haha girls are s___e objects haha lov me now.”

It goes on

Very accurate.
  • quenaelin wrote: »
    quenaelin wrote: »

Hard to know what people like, this is very subjective thing, I tought you meant too simplified music versus more complex classical music, whatever. Today there are very talented musicians, not all are trash. I don't really get your point here.

Yes there are, but none of them get world wide attention.
  • ZephanUnbound
    3012 posts Member
    edited August 22
    Modern pop music is garbage for sure, I can't handle listening to it, and modern hip-hop/rap isn't much better. There is still some good rock releasing these days at least. But I mainly listen to older rock these days, stuff from the 60's-00's.