criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Instant action split screen disappointment👎

13Next

Replies

• @F8RGE Is reducing the graphics an option to getting split screen working in Instant Action? I have seen many posts saying they would gladly accept reduced graphics in order to have split screen.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    So I was looking through a whole bunch of games and I kind of got disturbed at the trend I was noticing. I've been seeing this on a lot of games these days related to multiplayer, the words Xbox live local multiplayer or Xbox Live Local Co-op.

To me it sounds like it is saying that if you want local split screen or local co-op multiplayer you have to be connected to the internet, am I correct in assuming this? 🤔🧐

If I am it is a dark day indeed. I do not want split screen multiplayer to be only available through Xbox Live. Why can "Halo 3" and "Gears of War 4" do local split screen coach co-op Offline? This is just so frustrating.
    SkyKing wrote: »
    Hi, I'm pretty new to the game, and I have to say, it's awesome. The campaign was great ( I just want to see more of it ^^ ) and the Online interested me (and believe me, normally I hate playing Online in video games).

However, as I looked up on the past updates, I couldn't stop seeing those modes you added. "Co-Op", "Capital Supremacy" and so on...

But, those are only for Online or Offline if we play alone.

Some of those modes could really be awesome with 2 players in splitscreen .

Splitscreen is really abandoned compared to the rest of the game. Any chances of future updates for it?

Thanks for reading.
    Kittylord1 wrote: »
    I totally agree I play Online all the time but I love to play against friends on split screen. I really think "Instant Action" is an amazing game mode, it should also have the options of playing splitscreen with or against your friends and family.
    Yeah I really hope Splitscreen content is something they're working on, before the game stops having updates. I just wish we'd get a word on it by the devs...a "No" or a "Wait" would be enough.

Well DICE devs have already responded on it quite a few times actually and at the moment it's lookin' pretty bleak. But you never know. Though based on what programmers outside of DICE have said the core game would likely have to be rebuilt from the ground up, there's just to much interrogation; to many programs linked to each other. Plus the doubling of the mode to make splitscreen is frying the system. It is not looking good.

Unfortunately it's (probably for this particular game and game counsel) simply a pipe dream. The next generation though will be able to handle the load.
    Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”
  • So I was looking through a whole bunch of games and I kind of got disturbed at the trend I was noticing. I've been seeing this on a lot of games these days related to multiplayer, the words Xbox live local multiplayer or Xbox Live Local Co-op.

To me it sounds like it is saying that if you want local split screen or local co-op multiplayer you have to be connected to the internet, am I correct in assuming this? 🤔🧐

If I am it is a dark day indeed. I do not want split screen multiplayer to be only available through Xbox Live. Why can "Halo 3" and "Gears of War 4" do local split screen coach co-op Offline? This is just so frustrating.
    Hi, I'm pretty new to the game, and I have to say, it's awesome. The campaign was great ( I just want to see more of it ^^ ) and the Online interested me (and believe me, normally I hate playing Online in video games).

However, as I looked up on the past updates, I couldn't stop seeing those modes you added. "Co-Op", "Capital Supremacy" and so on...

Splitscreen is really abandoned compared to the rest of the game. Any chances of future updates for it?

Thanks for reading.
    I totally agree I play Online all the time but I love to play against friends on split screen. I really think "Instant Action" is an amazing game mode, it should also have the options of playing splitscreen with or against your friends and family.
    Yeah I really hope Splitscreen content is something they're working on, before the game stops having updates. I just wish we'd get a word on it by the devs...a "No" or a "Wait" would be enough.

Well DICE devs have already responded on it quite a few times actually and at the moment it's lookin' pretty bleak. But you never know. Though based on what programmers outside of DICE have said the core game would likely have to be rebuilt from the ground up, there's just to much interrogation; to many programs linked to each other. Plus the doubling of the mode to make splitscreen is frying the system. It is not looking good.

Unfortunately it's (probably for this particular game and game counsel) simply a pipe dream. The next generation though will be able to handle the load.

They can and should add more split screen content even if it is not in IA. I REALLY want hero AI and split screen in the same mode.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • So I was looking through a whole bunch of games and I kind of got disturbed at the trend I was noticing. I've been seeing this on a lot of games these days related to multiplayer, the words Xbox live local multiplayer or Xbox Live Local Co-op.

Thanks for reading.

They can and should add more split screen content even if it is not in IA. I REALLY want hero AI and split screen in the same mode.

So you want an Offline A.I. HvsV with splitscreen? I think that would be cool .

P.S.- On a side note (not related to spit screen) how about an A.I. Dual mode?
    “There is always hope.”
  • Whether or not it is possible isn't the question, as it is possible, we already have a version of that in Arcade. The question becomes what level of fidelity would we have to accept to get there, to includes number of enemies/A.I./frame-rate/etc...

I am not sure how much work it would take on the engine/pipeline level in order to get it all working well. Certain things would be rather easy to implement in my opinion, such as:

1) Reducing the max poly count. Games already use LOD so there are multiple poly-model for each character and the game uses them accordingly based on distant to the viewer.
    2) Rendering resolution is easy to lower slightly
    3) Lowering particle effects/lighting quality/physics quality/post-processing effects/etc...
    4) Reducing the frame rate to 30 fps for each screen vs the near 60 fps we get on a single screen would have the largest impact.

Thanks for reading.

So you want an Offline A.I. HvsV with splitscreen? I think that would be cool .

P.S.- On a side note (not related to spit screen) how about an A.I. Dual mode?

Yes I would love an offline A.I HvsV with split screen. It would cool if the offline HvsV let us how many heroes and troopers were on the field as well as whether or not to use the target system an optional objective would be cool too.

I hope those that want an A.I. duel mode get it, I would rarely use it as I prefer to play in local mp.
    yoda901 wrote: »
    Whether or not it is possible isn't the question, as it is possible, we already have a version of that in Arcade. The question becomes what level of fidelity would we have to accept to get there, to includes number of enemies/A.I./frame-rate/etc...

I am not sure how much work it would take on the engine/pipeline level in order to get it all working well. Certain things would be rather easy to implement in my opinion, such as:

1) Reducing the max poly count. Games already use LOD so there are multiple poly-model for each character and the game uses them accordingly based on distant to the viewer.
    2) Rendering resolution is easy to lower slightly
    3) Lowering particle effects/lighting quality/physics quality/post-processing effects/etc...
    4) Reducing the frame rate to 30 fps for each screen vs the near 60 fps we get on a single screen would have the largest impact.

As long as the game is playable and the graphical assets distinguishable, I would gladly accept any level of fidelity. Of everything you listed, the ones I would least like to lose is AI and number of enemies. Regarding AI, I would gladly accept an AI logic reduction but really want the AI to be able to play heroes, reinforcements, and vehicles as well.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Well here is what Dennis said a while back on the subject.

Tweet by Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall). "Instant Action will unfortunately not support local splitscreen at release. The reason being is that we have to ensure we're hitting our performance targets on all platforms, with the amount of AI running around fighting while being hosted on your own machines.
    “There is always hope.”
  • Well here is what Dennis said a while back on the subject.

Tweet by Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall). "Instant Action will unfortunately not support local splitscreen at release. The reason being is that we have to ensure we're hitting our performance targets on all platforms, with the amount of AI running around fighting while being hosted on your own machines.

at launch. but it might in the future!?
  • Well here is what Dennis said a while back on the subject.

"The reason being is that we have to ensure we're hitting our performance targets on all platforms"

To me, this sounds like they wanted to release it first then optimize it for split screen. Could you get an update from Dennis?
  • slarlac249
    210 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    if anyones looked in the game files via the frosty editor, HvV and GA have local split screen support already, IA not so much, could only get the game to display the top half spawn screen.

HvV and GA displayed two spawn screens but both players spawn on the same team so the modes were not playable, HvV doesn't start as you need at least one player on the other team.

GA spawned in though.

The game needs more offline features...it seems stuff is already implemented...it's just hidden / disabled. shame on you dice!
    creator of the All-In-One Modular @ Nexusmods
    "for a less annoying immersive experience, dl it today!"
  • slarlac249 wrote: »
    if anyones looked in the game files via the frosty editor, HvV and GA have local split screen support already, IA not so much, could only get the game to display the top half spawn screen.

HvV and GA displayed two spawn screens but both players spawn on the same team so the modes were not playable, HvV doesn't start as you need at least one player on the other team.

GA spawned in though.

The game needs more offline features...it seems stuff is already implemented...it's just hidden / disabled. shame on you dice!

The game definitely needs more offline features. I would love to play HvV and GA in split screen.
  • GA offline split screen with a ton of options is what this game needs most.
  • Chaotic wrote: »
    I have been wanting for some time for more in Arcade with split screen, instant action gave hope till I heard from Twitter that it won't support split screen of this time. That's really disappointing, me and my brother share the same console, playing together is only in Arcade. Dice really needs to add split screen some how for instant action. The original 2005 had split screen. This game should have it in some capacity.
    but... there is splitscreen?
    Shadow Troopers are life
  • I would love some split screen
  • slarlac249
    210 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    slarlac249 wrote: »

GA spawned in though.

The game definitely needs more offline features. I would love to play HvV and GA in split screen.

as i said support is already in the game, it just needs to be integrated with the skirmish / arcade or IA stuff to make it so you can have one player on each team because at the moment, via moding, the teams part doesn't work properly.

GA works but both player 1 & 2 end up on rebels no matter what side you pick..
    HvV doesn't spawn as you need a player on the dark side.

those were the only modes i tested split screen on pc..IA didn't work as it's not implemented or half implemented...don't really know as i'm not a dev...
    creator of the All-In-One Modular @ Nexusmods
    "for a less annoying immersive experience, dl it today!"

GA spawned in though.

as i said support is already in the game, it just needs to be integrated with the skirmish / arcade or IA stuff to make it so you can have one player on each team because at the moment, via moding, the teams part doesn't work properly.

those were the only modes i tested split screen on pc..IA didn't work as it's not implemented or half implemented...don't really know as i'm not a dev...

I hope this is indicative of what the devs are working on and it was turned off by the devs because it is not ready.

GA spawned in though.

The Galactic Assault A.I. we were told by DICE it was leftover A.I. testing from early on in game production. It was abandon but some coding is still there.
    “There is always hope.”

GA spawned in though.

The Galactic Assault A.I. we were told by DICE it was leftover A.I. testing from early on in game production. It was abandon but some coding is still there.

Hopefully, we get HvV and an objective mode for split screen. If the can vehicles would be nice too; however, I would rather have the HvV and an objective mode.
  • Sadly us PC players will never get a split screen of any kind :/

Even though I am on Xbox, I think PC players should get split screen too.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Sadly us PC players will never get a split screen of any kind :/

Okay dude this is going to freak you out, you ready for this one?
    Okay so I was giving people a tutorial on how to get into Duel mode with a friend on their coach.
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/136836/why-isnt-there-a-1v1-mode#latest

Here's the steps I took.
    OP said, "Why isn't there a One vs One mode?"

There is...it's called "Duel" mode and it's in your Arcade menu, you play in split screen on the coach with a friend.

Here is how you go about setting it up step by step.

(1.) Turn on your X-Box One.
    (2.) Press top center Microsoft X symbol hold down to turn on controller
    (3.) Using left toggle to press up and select sign in by pressing "A" (twice)
    (4.) Select your gamertag and press "A", now put in your 6 digit code
    (5.) Select Star Wars Battlefront 2 (if digital copy) if not place in disc then press "A"
    (6.) After it loads press and hold down "A" and you'll be on the main screen
    (7.) Use right bumper to scroll right one click tell you get to "Play"
    (8.) Select "Single Player" press "A"
    (9.) Select "Arcade" press "A"
    (10.) Select "Verses" press "A"
    (11.) In the menu screen in the top slot scroll right on the left toggle tell it says "Duel"
    (12.) Now pick what planet you wish.
    (13.) Once done press "A", the screen will say, "Are you sure you want Arcade with these settings?" Click "A" for yes.
    (14.) Next it will say, "Please connect another controller for the second player and press (white circle with 3 lines button) to continue." Do it.
    (15.) Repeat steps #3 and #4 (to sign in second person on their gamertag)
    (16.) The primary person who set up the game now presses "A" and away you go.
    (17.) Remember split screen is horizontal. Now select you hero or villain (each of you) and start dueling.

And that's all there is to it.
    Any way once I backed out of "Duel" mode the second controller was still on and linked. I select "Instant Action" on Geonosis and low and behold...when I spawned in, the lower half of the screen was black, chopped horizontally like split screen😃. Freaky right? Pretty cool glitch though, pity it wouldn't permit the second controller to start. 😔 Oh well...bummer.

Oddly the issue stuck around even after I left the mode. It chopped the whole main title screen image in half horizontally, bizarre.

The issue was fixed when I unplugged the system from the wall (a cold boot), that purged it. Once back in it was fine again.

Good news though Microsoft is coming out with a ridiculously power gaming system in 2020 and DICE (if they do a Star Wars Battlefront 3) will have zero issues doing Split Screen Offline then.

Check out this thread:
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1554559#Comment_1554559
    Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”

Okay dude this is going to freak you out, you ready for this one?
    Okay so I was giving people a tutorial on how to get into Duel mode with a friend on their coach.
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/136836/why-isnt-there-a-1v1-mode#latest

Here's the steps I took.
    OP said, "Why isn't there a One vs One mode?"

There is...it's called "Duel" mode and it's in your Arcade menu, you play in split screen on the coach with a friend.

Here is how you go about setting it up step by step.

(1.) Turn on your X-Box One.
    (2.) Press top center Microsoft X symbol hold down to turn on controller
    (3.) Using left toggle to press up and select sign in by pressing "A" (twice)
    (4.) Select your gamertag and press "A", now put in your 6 digit code
    (5.) Select Star Wars Battlefront 2 (if digital copy) if not place in disc then press "A"
    (6.) After it loads press and hold down "A" and you'll be on the main screen
    (7.) Use right bumper to scroll right one click tell you get to "Play"
    (8.) Select "Single Player" press "A"
    (9.) Select "Arcade" press "A"
    (10.) Select "Verses" press "A"
    (11.) In the menu screen in the top slot scroll right on the left toggle tell it says "Duel"
    (12.) Now pick what planet you wish.
    (13.) Once done press "A", the screen will say, "Are you sure you want Arcade with these settings?" Click "A" for yes.
    (14.) Next it will say, "Please connect another controller for the second player and press (white circle with 3 lines button) to continue." Do it.
    (15.) Repeat steps #3 and #4 (to sign in second person on their gamertag)
    (16.) The primary person who set up the game now presses "A" and away you go.
    (17.) Remember split screen is horizontal. Now select you hero or villain (each of you) and start dueling.

And that's all there is to it.
    Any way once I backed out of "Duel" mode the second controller was still on and linked. I select "Instant Action" on Geonosis and low and behold...when I spawned in, the lower half of the screen was black, chopped horizontally like split screen😃. Freaky right? Pretty cool glitch though, pity it wouldn't permit the second controller to start. 😔 Oh well...bummer.

Oddly the issue stuck around even after I left the mode. It chopped the whole main title screen image in half horizontally, bizarre.

The issue was fixed when I unplugged the system from the wall (a cold boot), that purged it. Once back in it was fine again.

Good news though Microsoft is coming out with a ridiculously power gaming system in 2020 and DICE (if they do a Star Wars Battlefront 3) will have zero issues doing Split Screen Offline then.

Check out this thread:
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1554559#Comment_1554559

I hope they are working on split screen and that is what triggered that. If the Series X encourages alot of devs to add split screen to their games, I will buy one.
  • Hopefully, split screen for IA is in January's patch.
  • I am looking forward to the next split screen content we get.
  • I would be happy with split screen content added in any number of ways.

True (bump* ;))

True (bump* ;))

Let's hope we get some news on it soon.

True (bump* ;))

Yeah but realistically I think our best hope is them making Star Wars Battlefront 2 backwards compatible on the new X-Box console coming out in Dec 2020. This way they can max out both teams as the new console can handle the load. I would gladly upgrade if they do this.
    “There is always hope.”

True (bump* ;))

Yeah but realistically I think our best hope is them making Star Wars Battlefront 2 backwards compatible on the new X-Box console coming out in Dec 2020. This way they can max out both teams as the new console can handle the load. I would gladly upgrade if they do this.

I would update for that as well; however, there are numerous ways to add more split screen content to the game this generation.
  • Please Dice,
    Can u create more splitscreen content? Like Instant Action and Galactic Assault...
  • MMGmind wrote: »
    Please Dice,
    Can u create more splitscreen content? Like Instant Action and Galactic Assault...

This would be amazing.
  • don't know how your performances of the game are going, but Felucia to me is very laggy and it is not due to server connection issues
  • Only played it once when it first came out since it is not available in split screen.
  • I think we will see Instant Action in split screen. The devs also said hero AI was too difficult but it is now in IA.
  • don't know how your performances of the game are going, but Felucia to me is very laggy and it is not due to server connection issues

I literally play Felucia in "Instant Action" all the time. I have had zero issues.
    I think we will see Instant Action in split screen. The devs also said hero AI was too difficult but it is now in IA.

Yeah but that doesn't require running two games at once split on a screen. Not trying to burst your hope bubble but unless tech is able to figure out how to put that much on screen without taxing the system it is a very slime chance. But you never know. It's like hoping to win a football game with 20 seconds left on the clock and your down by 8. It could possibly occur but the odds are against it.
    “There is always hope.”

I literally play Felucia in "Instant Action" all the time. I have had zero issues.
    I think we will see Instant Action in split screen. The devs also said hero AI was too difficult but it is now in IA.

Yeah but that doesn't require running two games at once split on a screen. Not trying to burst your hope bubble but unless tech is able to figure out how to put that much on screen without taxing the system it is a very slime chance. But you never know. It's like hoping to win a football game with 20 seconds left on the clock and your down by 8. It could possibly occur but the odds are against it.

Tech could reduce particle effects, lighting effects and anti aliasing.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited January 17
    10:25-12:49 Offline Galactic Assault with A.I fully functional teams.

I don't understand how this is possible, what is going on? 🙃

I thought they said this much A.I. would fry the system. 😲
    “There is always hope.”
  • 10:25-12:49 Offline Galactic Assault with A.I fully functional teams.

I don't understand how this is possible, what is going on? 🙃

I thought they said this much A.I. would fry the system. 😲

That would be awesome in split screen.