criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Instant action split screen disappointment👎

Replies

• Instant Action is the only thing that can save this game once the server shut down or are dead.

Splitscreen should’ve be added to be one of the mode’s main features.
  • Instant Action is the only thing that can save this game once the server shut down or are dead.

Once the severs shut down is the key word here I guess. They recently said that split screen for this mode is currently not in the works and therefore likely not on their priority list. I guess this will get ranked higher once the game nears its end
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/

Once the severs shut down is the key word here I guess. They recently said that split screen for this mode is currently not in the works and therefore likely not on their priority list. I guess this will get ranked higher once the game nears its end

Where did they say this? Are any new modes with hero AI and split screen in the works? How about hero AI for Arcade? The game needs a mode with hero AI and split screen.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.

Agreed.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.

Agreed.

Honestly. That’s why I was so excite when I first heard about offline. Without splitscreen or some real mutators, there’s no point.
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited January 28
    The game needs a mode with hero AI and split screen.
    I take it obviously you mean other than "Arcade: Team Battle" couch, split-screen, multiplayer which we have already? But you did add Hero A.I. so yeah
    that needs to be added to it.

Personally a secondary compromise would be "Cargo" against bots (with a split screen option), even if it's just the Arcade programmed bots and not advanced A.I... 3rd choice would be Heroes vs Villains against bots with spit-screen option. Of course the ultimate would be "Instant Action" with split-screen as an option but at this point I'll take what I can get.
    “There is always hope.”
  • The game needs a mode with hero AI and split screen.
    I take it obviously you mean other than "Arcade: Team Battle" couch, split-screen, multiplayer which we have already? But you did add Hero A.I. so yeah
    that needs to be added to it.

Personally a secondary compromise would be "Cargo" against bots (with a split screen option), even if it's just the Arcade programmed bots and not advanced A.I... 3rd choice would be Heroes vs Villains against bots with spit-screen option. Of course the ultimate would be "Instant Action" with split-screen as an option but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Arcade has split screen but no hero AI; Instant Action doesn't have split screen but has hero AI. I would love a mode that has both together. I would be happy if it was Arcade, HvV, or another mode. An objective mode (like Cargo) in split screen would be awesome too. If they added a heroes option to cargo that would be even better. IA in split screen would incorporate everything in one mode so it would be the best.
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited January 29
    This game COD: BLack Ops 2 came out in 2012 and sported 6 vs 6 Offline "Capture the Flag." It is surprisingly visually amazing.

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Yemen" map, on easy recruit A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = surprisingly fun and decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map,
    on medium A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map, on easy recruit A.I. (1 human + 1 bot vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map, on Elite A.I. (1 human vs 6 bots) = impossible

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Nuketown" map, on medium A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline, defending the flag against bots on recruit = fun

So it is totally possible to do it if DICE has the time.
    “There is always hope.”
  • This game COD: BLack Ops 2 came out in 2012 and sported 6 vs 6 Offline "Capture the Flag." It is surprisingly visually amazing.

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Yemen" map, on easy recruit A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = surprisingly fun and decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map,
    on medium A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map, on easy recruit A.I. (1 human + 1 bot vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Aircraft Carrier" map, on Elite A.I. (1 human vs 6 bots) = impossible

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline on "Nuketown" map, on medium A.I. (1 human + 5 bots vs 6 bots) = decent

Black Ops 2 "Capture the Flag" verses A.l. Offline, defending the flag against bots on recruit = fun

So it is totally possible to do it if DICE has the time.

Hopefully, they are already working on it.
  • @F8RGE Is there any update on any split screen content being worked on?

neither planned right now nor in the works
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/

Have the devs said this? Where?
  • hosco33
    551 posts Member
    edited January 31
    Lonnisity wrote: »
    Splitscreen instant action would be unplayable laggy. That’s the short answer.

The long answer is you wouldn’t enjoy it as much as you think you would. This game is built for visual fidelity. Like F8RGE said, they’ve maximized the hardware to get the most performance out of one screen. Split that into two, and it will literally be half as smooth.

There is already split screen in arcade. The issue is AI's logic as far as I understand, not the rendering of the maps. A quick test would be having half smart AIs and half stupid AIs (the ones used in arcade) and see how that works. Another thing could be having reduced command posts, maybe Co-op maps would work better cause they are less targets the AI must care about at a time.

Something tells me they'll make it, they've addressed complex tasks before, things they themselves thought unlikely, like challenging AI heroes and reinforcements, CS and Coop infantry AI itself. As a software developer there are two things I love:

1. Challenges
    2. Not working under pressure
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited January 31
    hosco33 wrote: »

The long answer is you wouldn’t enjoy it as much as you think you would. This game is built for visual fidelity. Like F8RGE said, they’ve maximized the hardware to get the most performance out of one screen. Split that into two, and it will literally be half as smooth.

There is already split screen in arcade. The issue is AI's logic as far as I understand, not the rendering of the maps. A quick test would be having half smart AIs and half stupid AIs (the ones used in arcade) and see how that works. Another thing could be having reduced command posts, maybe Co-op maps would work better cause they are less targets the AI must care about at a time.

Something tells me they'll make it, they've addressed complex tasks before, things they themselves thought unlikely, like challenging AI heroes and reinforcements, CS and Coop infantry AI itself. As a software developer there are two things I love:

1. Challenges

Now there's a clever idea...render half the A.I. Arcade and half learning smart A.I...not bad. This would chop the memory required in half. Brilliant.

How about this. Use the Arcade A.I. for defending CPs only and use the smart A.I. for capturing CPs. How about them apples? Not bad ah? It might not give us split screen but at least it would double the enemies and friendlies in "Instant Action"... This is simply brilliant.
    😎👍🏼

Lovin' the Co-Op idea. I loooooooooooooooove Co-Op to pieces so any way to make this work Offline I am totally for it.

P.S.- What kind of software do you develop?
    “There is always hope.”

It was either in ofe of the threads here or over on discord

• ELIMELECH0401
    1525 posts Member
    edited January 31
    @F8RGE Is there any update on any split screen content being worked on?

It was either in ofe of the threads here or over on discord

Does that just apply to Instant Action? Was it from a dev? What about Arcade hero AI or other modes with split screen?
    Post edited by ELIMELECH0401 on
  • hosco33 wrote: »

1. Challenges

I would take Arcade AI for all the troopers in order to have split screen. I think we will get more split screen content. We might even get Instant Action in split screen.
  • If we don't get split screen for Instant Action; hopefully, they will make a mode built around split screen.
  • HvV would be my first choice for an offline split screen mode.

you can already do a 1v1 in arcade. hvv style.

Yeah Duel mode, true. A HvV (4 vs 4) Offline is quite feasible and would be cool though.

“There is always hope.”

Yeah Duel mode, true. A HvV (4 vs 4) Offline is quite feasible and would be cool though.

There is Duel mode; however, I would love to play split screen co-op as heroes against Villain AI or vice versa. This has been my wishes for the game since I started posting in these topics. Hopefully, it will happen.
  • I would love instant action and custom arcade playable online for coop or vs as "private matches".
  • Galactic Assault would also be fun in split screen.
  • Do you think co-op would be easier to get working in split screen because of the phases?

• Do you think co-op would be easier to get working in split screen because of the phases?

You would think it would be easier. The AI have less objectives to focus on, if that’s what the problem is.

• He said there’s some stuff being added to IA. Fingers crossed!

You would think it would be easier. The AI have less objectives to focus on, if that’s what the problem is.

That is a good point.
    He said there’s some stuff being added to IA. Fingers crossed!

I eagerly await March's announcement to find out.

• Lonnisity
    2117 posts Member
    edited March 4
    Maybe when the Xbox Series X comes out, it’s be able to handle playing this game twice at the same time at more than 30 frames per second
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Lonnisity wrote: »
    Maybe when the Xbox Series X comes out, it’s be able to handle playing this game twice at the same time at more than 30 frames per second

It would be cool if Series X allowed 4 player split screen.
  • Lonnisity
    2117 posts Member
    edited March 4

It would be cool if Series X allowed 4 player split screen.

I think you’re missing my point. Splitscreen arcade on Xbox One X is barely playable. This game simply looks too good for the machine to render everything twice with any sort of reliable frame rate. To double the power, and then ALSO double the demand for power, would put us right back where we are
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited March 5
    I think you’re missing my point. Splitscreen Arcade on Xbox One X is barely playable.

Hmmmm I have X-Box One and splitscreen for Arcade works great.
    This game simply looks too good for the machine to render everything twice with any sort of reliable frame rate. To double the power, and then ALSO double the demand for power, would put us right back where we are.

I tend to agree with this latter statement. In "Instant Action" on Ajann Kloss, with all menus maxed out, the game will have brief freeze issues and a noise at times (similar to older systems used to get when they froze). This shows the game is taxed to it's utter limits. It has nothing more to give.

Fortunately this issue with everything maxed does not happen as much on the other maps save occasionally on Geonosis and maybe a slight pause on Felucia.

But clearly doubling the power absolutely would be impossible with high end graphics; save a superior system like X-Box x series arriving in December.

P.S. - Do not confuse X-Box x series with X-Box One X, they are two entirely different systems.
    “There is always hope.”
    I think you’re missing my point. Splitscreen Arcade on Xbox One X is barely playable.

This game simply looks too good for the machine to render everything twice with any sort of reliable frame rate. To double the power, and then ALSO double the demand for power, would put us right back where we are.

I tend to agree with this latter statement. In "Instant Action" on Ajann Kloss, with all menus maxed out, the game will have brief freeze issues and a noise at times (similar to older systems used to get when they froze). This shows the game is taxed to it's utter limits. It has nothing more to give.

Fortunately this issue with everything maxed does not happen as much on the other maps save occasionally on Geonosis and maybe a slight pause on Felucia.

But clearly doubling the power absolutely would be impossible with high end graphics; save a superior system like X-Box x series arriving in December.

P.S. - Do not confuse X-Box x series with X-Box One X, they are two entirely different systems.

I don't have issues with Arcade on XB1 either. They might be able to get IA going in split screen; however, I am pretty certain they could get GA, co-op, or a smaller mode going in split screen.
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited March 10

I don't have issues with Arcade on XB1 either. They might be able to get IA going in split screen; however, I am pretty certain they could get GA, co-op, or a smaller mode going in split screen.

GothicMondo posted more details on what's up with splitscreen:

2ec27lolh84k.jpg
    avcjldrkjrty.jpg
    Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”

Well DICE is finally giving us more details on what's up with splitscreen:

2ec27lolh84k.jpg
    avcjldrkjrty.jpg

Is that from Dice? The cheaped out comment makes me question. Have Dice mentioned ways they may overcome the technical hurdles?
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited March 10
    Is that from Dice? The cheaped out comment makes me question.

Well I thought GothicMando got those comments from DICE but maybe not. Still the technical information is interesting. I haven't had GothicMondo respond back yet on your question and confirm, soooo (shrug).

Here's an interesting video on Star Wars Battlefront (2015) Split Screen frame rate on PS4 and X-Box One.

Star Wars Battlefront (2015) Skirmish Spit Screen

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) Arcade Split Screen

Have Dice mentioned ways they may overcome the technical hurdles?
    Future Star Wars Battlefront 2 (DICE) Crait map content after reducing to 16 bit graphics to give us Split Screen in "Instant Action". Here is the single player version. Lol...😆😂🤣

Predictions: But it slowed the system so they reduced it to 8 bit graphics and suprisingly it worked waaaaay better and here it is in all it's 8 bit glory, the single player version. Lol...😆😂🤣 Your welcome. Lots of hard work went into this. No please...don't. Thank me later (breaking into hysteric laughter). 😆😂🤣

“There is always hope.”
  • Is that from Dice? The cheaped out comment makes me question.

Well I thought GothicMando got those comments from DICE but maybe not. Still the technical information is interesting. I haven't had GothicMondo respond back yet on your question and confirm, soooo (shrug).

Here's an interesting video on Star Wars Battlefront (2015) Split Screen frame rate on PS4 and X-Box One.

Star Wars Battlefront (2015) Skirmish Spit Screen

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) Arcade Split Screen

Have Dice mentioned ways they may overcome the technical hurdles?
    Future Star Wars Battlefront 2 (DICE) Crait map content after reducing to 16 bit graphics to give us Split Screen in "Instant Action". Here is the single player version. Lol...😆😂🤣

Predictions: But it slowed the system so they reduced it to 8 bit graphics and suprisingly it worked waaaaay better and here it is in all it's 8 bit glory, the single player version. Lol...😆😂🤣 Your welcome. Lots of hard work went into this. No please...don't. Thank me later (breaking into hysteric laughter). 😆😂🤣

I wonder what the game would do in split screen at 30 fps and 720p. I hope Dice is not scared to reduce graphics or resolution because of that "resolution gate" junk that took place at the launch of XB1 and PS4. Thanks for the vids, lol.
  • Hopefully, some split screen content with hero AI will be in March's announcement.
  • Hopefully, some split screen content with hero AI will be in March's announcement.

Yes that would be cool, some kind of compromise would be nice. Heck I'd even settle for "Heroes vs Villains" right now? Though I wont lie "Cargo" would be waaaay funner.

Have you seen any Tweet hints or any data mining reports on Youtube?
    “There is always hope.”

Yes that would be cool, some kind of compromise would be nice. Heck I'd even settle for "Heroes vs Villains" right now? Though I wont lie "Cargo" would be waaaay funner.

Have you seen any Tweet hints or any data mining reports on Youtube?

Those two modes would be a perfect combo for split screen and hero AI (if Cargo let you use heroes); one with objectives and one without objectives. If we only got HvV for split screen and hero AI, I would still love it!
  • I hope the "new way to play offline" includes split screen and hero AI. Stay safe.
  • Dont forget Split Screen has many annoying bugs STILL after 3 YEARS.
    My priority list:

1. Fix Split screen mode bugs
    2. Fix bugs
    3. Bigger play area for Duel mode
    4. More love for Starfighter modes
    5. First Person only mode

Please do list these bugs, I'm curious.
    “There is always hope.”

Please do list these bugs, I'm curious.

Me too.
  • Starmasui73146
    2087 posts Member
    edited March 29
    Found this article...people hoping for Split Screen as far back as launch in 2017.
    https://twinfinite.net/2017/11/star-wars-battlefront-2-splitscreen-co-op/

Here's people on Reddit, back at launch in 2017, asking for Split Screen.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/byqg6y/does_battlefront_2_for_ps4_have_any_kind_of/

Game Revolution back at launch, November 2017, hoping for Split Screen.
    https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/356747-star-wars-battlefront-2-split-screen-online-can-play-co-op-multiplayer

Here's a gamer leaving messages in the EA Answer HQ

bumbdee said

"Will Star Wars Battlefront 2 "Instant Action" ever have split-screen? All I want to do is play split-screen "Instant Action" with my brother but no, I can't, so I ask will it ever be added, I get the performance but if people care so much about performance why don't they just play it alone? The performance issue will only happen when you play split-screen right? right? Like if you play "Instant Action" alone and you have added split-screen the guy playing it alone won't be affected unless he plays split-screen. Or will it affect all of "Instant Action" even if you don't play "Instant Action" split-screen? The most I know about game development is making maps for poorly made Half-Life 2 mods. So please answer and tell me if split-screen will be a thing in "Instant Action". Have a good day."

bumbdee
    "EA, please."

bumbdee
    "Well? Tell me."

My he sound pretty frustrated...poor guy.

Here check out this site dated January 2020 talking about Split Screen for SWBF2.
    https://heavy.com/games/2017/11/star-wars-battlefront-2-split-screen-multiplayer-campaign-arcade/

79.76 thousand views (that's 79,760 views) strong on the site, proving that as of Jan 2020 there still is a strong desire for split screen.
    “There is always hope.”
  • Found this article...people hoping for Split Screen as far back as launch in 2017.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/byqg6y/does_battlefront_2_for_ps4_have_any_kind_of/

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/356747-star-wars-battlefront-2-split-screen-online-can-play-co-op-multiplayer

bumbdee said

"Will Star Wars Battlefront 2 "Instant Action" ever have split-screen? All I want to do is play split-screen "Instant Action" with my brother but no, I can't, so I ask will it ever be added, I get the performance but if people care so much about performance why don't they just play it alone? The performance issue will only happen when you play split-screen right? right? Like if you play "Instant Action" alone and you have added split-screen the guy playing it alone won't be affected unless he plays split-screen. Or will it affect all of "Instant Action" even if you don't play "Instant Action" split-screen? The most I know about game development is making maps for poorly made Half-Life 2 mods. So please answer and tell me if split-screen will be a thing in "Instant Action". Have a good day."

bumbdee
    "EA, please."

bumbdee
    "Well? Tell me."

Here check out this site dated January 2020 talking about Split Screen for SWBF2.
    https://heavy.com/games/2017/11/star-wars-battlefront-2-split-screen-multiplayer-campaign-arcade/

79.76 thousand views (that's 79,760 views) strong on the site, proving that as of Jan 2020 there still is a strong desire for split screen.

Thanks for the info. Did they reply to bumbdee?
  • I eagerly await the announcement in April and hope to get some more split screen content.
  • Found this article...people hoping for Split Screen as far back as launch in 2017.

bumbdee said

bumbdee
    "EA, please."

bumbdee
    "Well? Tell me."

Thanks for the info. Did they reply to bumbdee?

No. 😒
    I eagerly await the announcement in April and hope to get some more split screen content.

Okay. Happy thoughts. 😌
    “There is always hope.”