criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

Are all heroes equally as susceptible to being hit through block?

Starwarsor66
1392 posts Member
edited September 10
I was just Rey and got hit through my block by Vader at least 30% of the time. Are all heroes the same when it comes to this do you guys think? Like would Kylo also be hit 30% of the time through block from Luke for example?

Replies

• I was Vader on Kashyyyk yesterday and Yoda destroyed me through block then unleashed through my block and pushed me off.
  • Yeah but Yoda dash is supposed to go through block. Unleash through block is a known bug. I'm just interested in knowing if all Saber heroes experience the same level of "through block lightsaber hits" as each other when it comes to normal swings.
  • Vader is the worst offender in hitting through block.
    Ani and Yoda are really susceptible to it.
  • I get hit through the block all the time. I couldn't say whether certain characters are more affected than others, though. Blocking always seems to work super fine for the enemy, while it's glitchy for me. It's inconsistent through and through.

Played a few games yesteday after the Revert (tm) and everything was out of whack as usual.

I've accepted that due to bugs, glitches, lag effects and an overworked netcode, encounters with enemies go the rock-paper-scissors route, regardless of whether I reacted first or had the block up in time or pushed someone before they even approached.
  • @Starwarsor66 dude I think they removed your Vader post

What Vader post? In the other thread? They're still there. They don't break any rules so can't see why they'd be removed.

What Vader post? In the other thread? They're still there. They don't break any rules so can't see why they'd be removed.

The one where you were being humorous. For so.e reason it's not showing up for me anymore.

The one where you were being humorous. For so.e reason it's not showing up for me anymore.

That's weird. I can see it at the top of the second page.
  • Oh yeah it's there LOL. Just had to refresh
  • Now THIS is a challenge for Grand Master @RogueZeroRendar. My money is on everyone being equally susceptible though.
  • No

It's a fact that Luke has the highest defensive return speed in the game. He is the only one on the light side that is invulnerable to a Kylo block break. He's the only character that can block all three hits of a frenzy while standing completely still. All others will take a hit on the final hit, or more if they dashed improperly before Kylo started his frenzy.

He also takes only one hit when standing or returning after getting cc'd

All in all this makes Luke dominate Kylo even before any saber swing buffs, character to character, as long as a Luke knows he's nearly immune to all of Kylo's abilities.

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

The most powerful Jedi of his generation. Perhaps of any generation. The fastest. The strongest.

He is the best there is. . .

The best there has ever been. . .

And he knows it.

• No

It's a fact that Luke has the highest defensive return speed in the game. He is the only one on the light side that is invulnerable to a Kylo block break. He's the only character that can block all three hits of a frenzy while standing completely still. All others will take a hit on the final hit, or more if they dashed improperly before Kylo started his frenzy.

All in all this makes Luke dominate Kylo even before any saber swing buffs, character to character, as long as a Luke knows he's nearly immune to all of Kylo's abilities.

That would explain why Luke never falls prey to my Frenzy strikes...
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • No

That would explain why Luke never falls prey to my Frenzy strikes...

It's something few people know. It was a big luxury while the hit detection broke these past few days with the RR update. Luke was still the only character that wasn't susceptible to getting hit when dashing

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

The most powerful Jedi of his generation. Perhaps of any generation. The fastest. The strongest.

And he knows it.

• DiamondxStyles
    288 posts Member
    edited September 10
    I was just Rey and got hit through my block by Vader at least 30% of the time. Are all heroes the same when it comes to this do you guys think? Like would Kylo also be hit 30% of the time through block from Luke for example?

Rey and Dooku are some of the worst on defensive return speeds

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

• anidriX wrote: »
    Now THIS is a challenge for Grand Master @RogueZeroRendar. My money is on everyone being equally susceptible though.

Now that's an issue I'm not sure resides on the defender. But @DiamondxStyles pointed something that may prove me wrong: Luke indeed can block all 3 of Kylo's Frenzy Swings. I tested with other saber users and they didn't. I still didn't test with all of them though. In this situation we can assume Luke's block is better, at least against Kylo's Frenzy.

All in all though, I guess the swing speed of the one attacking is more important to determine if you're more susceptible to getting hit through your block. This issue of getting hit right as you get your block up is a BUG probably due to latency issues between server and clients. Getting hit through your block in other situations might as well be other blocking BUGs. There are several blocking BUGs in this game.

Anyway, I'll add that to my test list for my next round of tests, but I'm not sure I'll find anything useful with just what I know about it by now.
    Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • DiamondxStyles
    288 posts Member
    edited September 10
    anidriX wrote: »
    Now THIS is a challenge for Grand Master @RogueZeroRendar. My money is on everyone being equally susceptible though.

Now that's an issue I'm not sure resides on the defender. But @DiamondxStyles pointed something that may prove me wrong: Luke indeed can block all 3 of Kylo's Frenzy Swings. I tested with other saber users and they didn't. I still didn't test with all of them though. In this situation we can assume Luke's block is better, at least against Kylo's Frenzy.

All in all though, I guess the swing speed of the one attacking is more important to determine if you're more susceptible to getting hit through your block. This issue of getting hit right as you get your block up is a BUG probably due to latency issues between server and clients. Getting hit through your block in other situations might as well be other blocking BUGs. There are several blocking BUGs in this game.

Anyway, I'll add that to my test list for my next round of tests, but I'm not sure I'll find anything useful with just what I know about it by now.

It doesn't have to do with the swing speed. It's tied to something else. It absolutely relies on the defending character's animation speeds. I just call this animation "defensive return speed". It depends on just how fast a character sets their feet (returns posture) to their blocking stance after being staggered, ragdolled, or even just dashing or attacking.

Luke has the fastest animation where he resets his pose, and therefore has the highest defense. This has existed even far back when his swing was slow. I'll show you a little video of my Luke moments before the swing speed update in a few hours. Pre swing speed buff Luke could block all three hits from a Kylo Frenzy AND even hit Kylo with his own swings in between each frenzy. It's hilarious

I've already tested everyone myself. If you want to do your own tests, try having each character dash and hit them with a Force ability at the end of their dash, or a lunge attack after they do a dash, or even look at how they return after a heavy stagger (Iden's droid stun, Han's Detonite, etc). This will help you determine each character's defense.

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

• DiamondxStyles
    288 posts Member
    edited September 10
    Hey! Now that I think about it, this has gone on (as far back as I can remember) since they buffed Luke's health regeneration speed to attempt balancing him out against Vader. This was back before Obi Wan or Anakin were even in this game. Just a wild assumption, but maybe the defense is tied to health regen speed, because Luke IS the only character with insane regeneration speed.

I'm doubtful though. I think it's just tied to an animation

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

I don’t think swing speed is related at all. Except Yoda, all swing speeds, while different, operate within a small margin so it doesn’t matter if it’s 1.8/s or 2/s. I don’t even think block animation is a factor either, even if Luke has the quickest, the animation speed can’t be high enough for it to make a difference. Luke being able to block Kylo’s third Frenzy is probably just another bug on the list and completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I think the problem lies in a combination of hitbox size plus the latency between server and client like you said. Which leads me to believe Yoda is probably the least susceptible while Vader and Grievous are probably the most susceptible ones.

But in my OP I said I got hit by Vader haha he has the slowest swing speed around.
  • I have no idea why people always say they're getting hit "through" their block. I can say I have never experienced this. I have never had that happen unless I was staggered by an ability beforehand, which is supposed to happen. I've been hit through my dash but never my block.

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

• It's a glitch and it seems to have some relation to ping. In general person with low ping smashing saber on person with higher ping who blocks, second person will die.
    anidriX wrote: »

I don’t think swing speed is related at all. Except Yoda, all swing speeds, while different, operate within a small margin so it doesn’t matter if it’s 1.8/s or 2/s. I don’t even think block animation is a factor either, even if Luke has the quickest, the animation speed can’t be high enough for it to make a difference. Luke being able to block Kylo’s third Frenzy is probably just another bug on the list and completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I think the problem lies in a combination of hitbox size plus the latency between server and client like you said. Which leads me to believe Yoda is probably the least susceptible while Vader and Grievous are probably the most susceptible ones.

I have no clue if it's the animation speed. All I know for a fact is that Luke has by far the highest defense, and his animation appears to be the quickest to the naked eye. The animation apparently is quick enough to make a difference, because Luke is the only character that can negate normally block-breaking ability chains. It definitely isn't hitbox size, because Yoda is very susceptible to getting his block broken by ability combos or Kylo's frenzy, etc. So is Dooku, and Rey. I don't see how that would amount to a bug

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

• I have no idea why people always say they're getting hit "through" their block. I can say I have never experienced this. I have never had that happen unless I was staggered by an ability beforehand, which is supposed to happen. I've been hit through my dash but never my block.

I'll give you an idea why they say it. Because it happens haha for every major bug out there is always a small number of people that always say it never happens to them. Good for those people, but still doesn't represent the majority.
  • DiamondxStyles
    288 posts Member
    edited September 11
    I have no idea why people always say they're getting hit "through" their block. I can say I have never experienced this. I have never had that happen unless I was staggered by an ability beforehand, which is supposed to happen. I've been hit through my dash but never my block.

I'll give you an idea why they say it. Because it happens haha for every major bug out there is always a small number of people that always say it never happens to them. Good for those people, but still doesn't represent the majority.

Apparently it does, and I'd love to see it because neither me nor my friends have experienced it. It certainly is good for me. My block happens to be working perfectly. Sucks to be you or the majority of course.

Connection maybe

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

Apparently it does, and I'd love to see it because neither me nor my friends have experienced it. It certainly is good for me. My block happens to be working perfectly. Sucks to be you or the majority of course.

Connection maybe

definitely not connection. 15ms ping to the server. It'd have to be my connection along with the rest of world if we're all saying it happens haha. Maybe you and your friends live in an area or are on a server that doesn't experience it as much. There are plenty of youtubers that get hit through blocks. Just go watch one of their videos or go and watch the bug report videos about it and you can see it for yourself if you like.
  • Kamykatz wrote: »
    I get hit through the block all the time. I couldn't say whether certain characters are more affected than others, though. Blocking always seems to work super fine for the enemy, while it's glitchy for me. It's inconsistent through and through.

Played a few games yesteday after the Revert (tm) and everything was out of whack as usual.

I've accepted that due to bugs, glitches, lag effects and an overworked netcode, encounters with enemies go the rock-paper-scissors route, regardless of whether I reacted first or had the block up in time or pushed someone before they even approached.

THIS!!!!
  • Also: people often do damage to we when the saber already swung. I want to do a counter attack and get hit by the saber which just clashed into my block.
  • I can say that @DiamondxStyles is 100% right in everything he says. I've assumed too that Luke's defense was this good to "balance" his regen pool that is the lowest of all saber heroes.
    On the times i've talked about things like that here i'd talk about frames from neutral postion to when the block is active. On that Luke has the lowest amount of frames while Dooku has the highest.

One thing to consider too is that saber hit registration doesn't seem to work in accordance with saber animation. It seems to work more according to "inputs" and area of effect. Meaning it would register for the first hit the moment you press the attack button in the area of effect of the lightsaber attack and then proceed to register for the next hits in an interval of time in accordance with the swing speed of the character. To simply say the saber animation is just a visual clue but doesn't hold much importance.
    To get more concrete : how many times do you still get hit despite the attack animation being cancelled (opponent killed or CC'ed before swinging his lightsaber) or not being in range (jumping in front of a saber hero attacking) ? It happens consistently and it happens offline too so it is not server sided.

So someone like Dooku, with a high amount of frames for his block to be active + the "fact" that lightsaber registers upon input in an area + the stagger effect that cancels out all of your moves for a short amount of time will obviously suffer a lot in lightsaber combat (hence why i asked many times for him to have the same block as Luke).

But all of that said, i'm just bouncing off your comment but that's not what could explain being hit through block : i don't know in what lucky world you live but it is a thing. Being hit through block means being hit despite having the block stance visible (because here also the block stance is just a visual clue and the two can at times be uncoordonated). It has nothing to do with the misunderstanding a lot of people not knowing much about game mechanings spread (like it is totally normal to be hit when your block has been staggered).
  • I can say that @DiamondxStyles is 100% right in everything he says. I've assumed too that Luke's defense was this good to "balance" his regen pool that is the lowest of all saber heroes.
    On the times i've talked about things like that here i'd talk about frames from neutral postion to when the block is active. On that Luke has the lowest amount of frames while Dooku has the highest.

One thing to consider too is that saber hit registration doesn't seem to work in accordance with saber animation. It seems to work more according to "inputs" and area of effect. Meaning it would register for the first hit the moment you press the attack button in the area of effect of the lightsaber attack and then proceed to register for the next hits in an interval of time in accordance with the swing speed of the character. To simply say the saber animation is just a visual clue but doesn't hold much importance.
    To get more concrete : how many times do you still get hit despite the attack animation being cancelled (opponent killed or CC'ed before swinging his lightsaber) or not being in range (jumping in front of a saber hero attacking) ? It happens consistently and it happens offline too so it is not server sided.

So someone like Dooku, with a high amount of frames for his block to be active + the "fact" that lightsaber registers upon input in an area + the stagger effect that cancels out all of your moves for a short amount of time will obviously suffer a lot in lightsaber combat (hence why i asked many times for him to have the same block as Luke).

But all of that said, i'm just bouncing off your comment but that's not what could explain being hit through block : i don't know in what lucky world you live but it is a thing. Being hit through block means being hit despite having the block stance visible (because here also the block stance is just a visual clue and the two can at times be uncoordonated). It has nothing to do with the misunderstanding a lot of people not knowing much about game mechanings spread (like it is totally normal to be hit when your block has been staggered).

Well yes it would seem almost impossible for the Saber hit rate to be linked to the animation at all considering they all have set swing rates down to the millisecond. That would be impossible to keep constant in a game with variable distances. Points of contact in one specific Saber swing with the set would vary wildly from one set to another because of this. E.g. swing number 2 in the standard Luke swings might happen visually 1 second after the first one during one set, but perhaps in the second set the enemy moves slightly further away and the next swing then lands further up the lightsaber and is 1.1 seconds from the first swing. So animation would not be a factor in this at all.

What actually happened was I pressed to block. My character then didn't block the first one, which seems normal. But then it blocked the second and third ones and let through another 2 after that. All while I didn't let go of block and was on the flat floor in the hangar of naboo in HvV. It made absolutely no sense for it to happen but it did anyway.
  • Also as a side note, i've made mention of 3 factors (frames for block to be active, lightsaber hit registrating upon input and stagger) but only talked about the first 2.
    For stagger too, i might state the obvious, i believe there are differences amongst characters. For force powers you have abilities with high staggering potentiel (Repulse, chain lightning) and abilities that don't stagger as much (Lightning Stun). For lightsaber attacks, i have a strong belief from all my ingame experience that it varies from character to character. Like Vader, you can really feel that his hits are heavy af, a great stagger potential (and his hits are also in my ingame experience often implicated when you have the bug where you don't get released from Freeze despite being hit by melee which i believe is stagger related).
  • Also as a side note, i've made mention of 3 factors (frames for block to be active, lightsaber hit registrating upon input and stagger) but only talked about the first 2.
    For stagger too, i might state the obvious, i believe there are differences amongst characters. For force powers you have abilities with high staggering potentiel (Repulse, chain lightning) and abilities that don't stagger as much (Lightning Stun). For lightsaber attacks, i have a strong belief from all my ingame experience that it varies from character to character. Like Vader, you can really feel that his hits are heavy af, a great stagger potential (and his hits are also in my ingame experience often implicated when you have the bug where you don't get released from Freeze despite being hit by melee which i believe is stagger related).

I thought heroes are never staggered during a block when it's just a Saber hero using their lightsaber on them tho?

I thought heroes are never staggered during a block when it's just a Saber hero using their lightsaber on them tho?

Lack of precision on my part. There is staggering the block, and there is staggering the character attacked himself.
    Lightsaber attacks are not supposed to stagger block indeed. But with how the game doesn't work properly most of the time you can easily imagine how it goes with that potential.

Lack of precision on my part. There is staggering the block, and there is staggering the character attacked himself.
    Lightsaber attacks are not supposed to stagger block indeed. But with how the game doesn't work properly most of the time you can easily imagine how it goes with that potential.

True. Who knows what's possible with this game haha

Connection maybe

definitely not connection. 15ms ping to the server. It'd have to be my connection along with the rest of world if we're all saying it happens haha. Maybe you and your friends live in an area or are on a server that doesn't experience it as much. There are plenty of youtubers that get hit through blocks. Just go watch one of their videos or go and watch the bug report videos about it and you can see it for yourself if you like.

I'll try to find a video because I'm definitely curious. I'm NA West Oregon server Xbox One with ethernet and around 18 relative ms too

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

Ah, nice clarification. I have been telling my Kylo friends not to Pull combo Lukes for a long time now because it was a waste. I'd like them to speed up Dooku's defense, since literally all he has is a lightsaber and 2 inches of Force lightning lol.

@RogueZeroRendar Oh and I forgot to send a video to help your testing purposes. I'll try to remember tonight.
    What actually happened was I pressed to block. My character then didn't block the first one, which seems normal. But then it blocked the second and third ones and let through another 2 after that. All while I didn't let go of block and was on the flat floor in the hangar of naboo in HvV. It made absolutely no sense for it to happen but it did anyway.

That's unusual if you already managed to set your block from my experience. Did the enemy happen to move to your left or right a bit, and cause you to stagger? Because there is a design when it comes to blocking, that would be the only explanation I can think of aside from bug, where you stagger if you aren't keeping your block centered properly. Blocking at high levels is definitely skill oriented, due to needing to intercept an attack before an opponent has struck. I'll copy and paste an old explanation of what I mean here:
    You raise your guard to block a swing from an enemy in front of you, and you succeed with no ill effect. Why? because you intercepted the attack when you had your guard raised with your aim facing your opponent.

Your opponent dashes behind you. You turn 180 degrees to intercept the second swing. You get stunlocked. Why? Because your camera/guard wasn't perfectly centered. It was probably intercepted at the corner of your block. The enemy's attack and your guard must meet at the vertex in order for the attack to be negated. Should you turn your camera and your opponent is mid-swing before you face him, you will get a stagger effect and you might be punished by an extra hit before you can move or dash again.

My solution: Don't miss your blocks
    My solution when being ganked in HvV? Don't be ganked. Always try to retreat on any encounter that your teammates aren't around for, to get that sure kill

I'll even show you an example of a perfect block I spotted from a youtube video, and why he didn't get staggered for it. It's all about the skill of turning your camera in time to meet your enemy's attacks slightly before they happen:

Time skip to 0:44 to see a good block.
    Time skip to 1:28 to see his opponent fail at keeping his block centered, resulting in a stagger.

If this isn't the cause of it, it has to be a game glitch

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

Ah, nice clarification. I have been telling my Kylo friends not to Pull combo Lukes for a long time now because it was a waste. I'd like them to speed up Dooku's defense, since literally all he has is a lightsaber and 2 inches of Force lightning lol.

@RogueZeroRendar Oh and I forgot to send a video to help your testing purposes. I'll try to remember tonight.

That's unusual if you already managed to set your block from my experience. Did the enemy happen to move to your left or right a bit, and cause you to stagger? Because there is a design when it comes to blocking, that would be the only explanation I can think of aside from bug, where you stagger if you aren't keeping your block centered properly. Blocking at high levels is definitely skill oriented, due to needing to intercept an attack before an opponent has struck. I'll copy and paste an old explanation of what I mean here:
    You raise your guard to block a swing from an enemy in front of you, and you succeed with no ill effect. Why? because you intercepted the attack when you had your guard raised with your aim facing your opponent.

Your opponent dashes behind you. You turn 180 degrees to intercept the second swing. You get stunlocked. Why? Because your camera/guard wasn't perfectly centered. It was probably intercepted at the corner of your block. The enemy's attack and your guard must meet at the vertex in order for the attack to be negated. Should you turn your camera and your opponent is mid-swing before you face him, you will get a stagger effect and you might be punished by an extra hit before you can move or dash again.

My solution: Don't miss your blocks
    My solution when being ganked in HvV? Don't be ganked. Always try to retreat on any encounter that your teammates aren't around for, to get that sure kill

I'll even show you an example of a perfect block I spotted from a youtube video, and why he didn't get staggered for it. It's all about the skill of turning your camera in time to meet your enemy's attacks slightly before they happen:

Time skip to 0:44 to see a good block.
    Time skip to 1:28 to see his opponent fail at keeping his block centered, resulting in a stagger.

If this isn't the cause of it, it has to be a game glitch

Nope definitely wasn't a centering issue. This Vader was directly in front of me the whole time and unless there is some stagger that occurs from normal lightsaber swings from blocking from the front that I'm just not aware of, then it must be a bug.
  • DiamondxStyles
    288 posts Member
    edited September 12

here

https://vimeo.com/user102786979/review/359442034/9e0d2d28e6

very old video I'm surprised I still had. I realize now that I didn't actually block the first attack because I was mid swing, but I chained hits between Kylo's frenzy. Anyone else would have taken all the hits if they attempted that.

This is before the swing speed update for Luke

This

is Anakin Skywalker. . .

And he knows it.

• Thanks for all the feedback on the issue guys. I'll read and watch everything later when I get some proper time to do some testing to check if I can manage to test something like this in arcade splitscreen. If not I'll have to enlist some help for some multiplayer tests.
    Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • I wish I knew how to post clips cause good lord block has been terrible tonight. No matter who I've used, lightsaber hits and force abilities are going right through it like I'm not even blocking
  • I wish I knew how to post clips cause good lord block has been terrible tonight. No matter who I've used, lightsaber hits and force abilities are going right through it like I'm not even blocking

Won't be a problem this weekend with the event :D

I was talking HvV. It's a problem there😑

I thought it was only blaster heroes this weekend?

Nah that's next weekend

Nah that's next weekend

Oh right.

It was. And the LAG!!!! It was abnormal. Eu servers were really broken last night. Hitting through block wasn’t even the biggest problem. The LAAGG. Oh god. I was really disappointed.
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    I wish I knew how to post clips cause good lord block has been terrible tonight. No matter who I've used, lightsaber hits and force abilities are going right through it like I'm not even blocking

It was. And the LAG!!!! It was abnormal. Eu servers were really broken last night. Hitting through block wasn’t even the biggest problem. The LAAGG. Oh god. I was really disappointed.

I can honestly say I had no lag, but the blocking made it almost unbearable. I still played cause I had 3 friends making it a full HvV squad, but it was awful throughout the evening. Then I set my Xbox to New Zealand and played Borderlands 3 an hour and a half early 🤣🤣
    CC_1010 wrote: »

Exactly my experience playing yesterday. And most other days. It's our life in BF2 now.