criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

George Lucas disappointed in the ST

y5ahneplrcin.jpeg
What’s everyone’s opinion on this? Do you like the ST or do you agree with Lucas?

Replies

• bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    I haven't read George's critique, but I haven't enjoyed the ST.

I did enjoy Rogue One and Solo though.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• He should buy Star Wars again. We would all gladly donate like 5 or 10$ just to help
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg This isn't mine, Just thought it was cool

Rule 39: Never say no to Bacta

When you have been playing since launch Cool kid 8)

I want to make a squad of 4 Commandos and then scream "FORM UP DELTA SQUAD"

We need Delta Squad Commando skins.
  • Actually i herd that they brought back lucas to decide, and create the ending of the rise of skywalker, they thought that he should have the honor.
  • Batman20
    2102 posts Member
    edited September 24
    Haven't read the article but the new trilogy has been disappointing. The force awakens was just a new hope ripoff although it was still alot of fun. And the last jedi ruined luke. Rey is just a boring character as well due to the fact she basically has no weaknesses and kylo just isn't a very interesting villain. Snoke was wasted as well and was just a weak version of the emperor. Solo wasn't really needed although it was still decent but rogue one was awesome to be fair. That's the best job disney have done so far. Ep9 could be great so won't talk about that
  • Grievous15 wrote: »
    Actually i herd that they brought back lucas to decide, and create the ending of the rise of skywalker, they thought that he should have the honor.

Agreed, Lucas DESERVES the honor
  • Yea, let’s not listen to the creator of Star Wars on how to create another Star Wars 😂😂😂😂
  • What did Lucas have to say?
    I’ve enjoyed the new trilogy.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    What did Lucas have to say?
    I’ve enjoyed the new trilogy.

same here, hes disappointed they didn't follow his outlines.
  • Don't know about that, George Lucas ex-wife edited Star Wars New Hope to be best as it can be and there were many great actors and workers along with these movies. Prequels got many bad decisions, maybe too many, I didn't like Anakin boy and Hayden was overacting too much. I don't know how Lucas could save sequel movies, these movies got too high expectations and hype. Lucas had good initial idea about sci-fi movie, but there must be better creators who will bring out best of it, just like in Marvel and Disney franchises, Disney wasn't making his company famous all by himself, only created initial idea and hired creators for making it even better. George Lucas should be giving advices and trusting that new creators will make their best Star Wars movie.
  • quenaelin wrote: »
    Don't know about that, George Lucas ex-wife edited Star Wars New Hope to be best as it can be and there were many great actors and workers along with these movies. Prequels got many bad decisions, maybe too many, I didn't like Anakin boy and Hayden was overacting too much. I don't know how Lucas could save sequel movies, these movies got too high expectations and hype. Lucas had good initial idea about sci-fi movie, but there must be better creators who will bring out best of it, just like in Marvel and Disney franchises, Disney wasn't making his company famous all by himself, only created initial idea and hired creators for making it even better. George Lucas should be giving advices and trusting that new creators will make their best Star Wars movie.

Yeah, like dave filoni the producer of the clone wars show and the creator of the rebels show, dave was often referred to as George lucas's padawan, and dave actually went to george lucas about the ideas he had for the rebels show, they had discussions about the world between worlds idea, and lucas approved of the idea and liked it. After the rebels show was finished, lucas told filoni. "You've done well my padawan." So George trusted his star wars to people like dave filoni and lucas liked and approved of filoni's ideas for the rebels show. George lucas even helped design Kessel for the first episode of the rebels show.
  • After the prequels and him giving so much power to Dave Filoni, I could care less what he thinks.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Rinku
    127 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    After the prequels and him giving so much power to Dave Filoni, I could care less what he thinks.

I agree with you on the Dave Filoni thing. Biggest complaint about him for me is the fact that he shoves his OC Ahsoka into everything and gets some characters completely wrong.
    Open your eyes...
    ekn97qol2xso.gif

• lowell
    1651 posts Member
    Part of George's outlines for the ST were revealed in the Art of TFA & TLJ books and technically, some of those key points were used in the film but basically the Story Group, JJ Abrams, and Rian Johnson cherry-picked which ones to use and which should come first or come later.

Go read the Art of TFA & TLJ for more on this but in addition, Pablo Hidalgo had tweeted in the past on how some of the ideas in both films were from George himself, predating the Disney sale:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/01/pablo-hidalgo-sheds-more-light-on-george-lucass-influence-on-the-sequel-trilogy.html

Those tweets in that article are currently deleted but he has said somewhere that he wants to keep the details related to George to a minimum until TROS is released so you'll either see him retweeting these details or Lucasfilm will publish a comprehensive Making of the ST (I'm guessing since Resistance is developed in the same timeframe as the films, it might be incorporated somehow) book.

There were two Making of books set to be published but they were canceled by Lucasfilm:

The Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens by JW Rinzler & Mark Cotta Vaz

Sypnosis: The Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the ultimate eyewitness account of the film’s complete production history—the fantastic work of the conceptual art team, the commitment to creating a new story in a saga that is loved around the world, J. J. Abrams’s helming of the massive production, and the post-production finesse of Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound—with exclusive reflections from George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, as well as Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, and many others.
    A must-have for Star Wars fans, this authorized, all-access book—perhaps the most comprehensive documentation of an in-progress production ever written—will be an indispensable work for all movie fans and devotees of popular culture.

https://www.slashfilm.com/j-w-rinzler-the-making-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Pablo's response:

Screenshot-1-3.png

A longer interview from Rinzler before the book was canceled:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/05/swnn-exclusive-full-interview-with-аuthor-j-w-rinzler.html

Making Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: A Behind-the-scenes Photo Journal by Josh Kushins

81CGFL36gZL.jpg

Sypnosis: Rogue One marks not just the beginning of a new Star Wars story, but an entirely new approach to Star Wars storytelling—breaking away from the Skywalker saga and exploring new heroes, new tales, and new corners of the iconic galaxy far, far away." Featuring personal recollections and anecdotes from designers, creators, cast, and crew at all stages of production—as well as concept art and behind-the-scenes photos—this book offers an immersive look at Rogue One's journey to the screen. From the early decision to spin stand-alone stories and the hiring of visionary director Gareth Edwards, to the triumphs and challenges of principal photography and the exciting innovations of Industrial Light & Magic's post-production, Making Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is the comprehensive oral history of this new film's production.

Rinzler's larger response about these two books:

Making of TFA

"“There was no chance that book was going to be published,” Rinzler tells us. He joined Lucasfilm on October 1, 2001, mid-way through production of Attack of the Clones. He remained there, writing some reference books – including the comprehensive ‘making-of’ books about the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones films – and editing others, until after the sale of the company. “I knew when I started writing it that it would be cancelled... there were a lot of things that were known to the public that I think Disney and Kathleen Kennedy just didn't want to rehash. This is just speculation on my part, but even stuff like changing the date of the release, that Brad Bird was approached first, that Harrison Ford was almost killed… they were not comfortable with the book rehashing those issues.”

At the end of 2015, some way into the original book’s design process, Rinzler left Lucasfilm. Mark Vaz wrote a version of the book from his time on set before Rinzler was brought in to rewrite it. “It was pretty much designed and close to being ready to go before they decided that they wanted me to rewrite and add to it. I was asked to take what he wrote and add a beginning and an end. I pulled the manuscript apart and did what I did with the other making-of books and made it chronological.” When we asked why he then took on rewrite duties for a book that he knew wouldn’t be published, he clarified. “It’s a simple answer: because they were paying me. I was going freelance and I needed the money.”"

Making Rogue One

"“I was involved with the hiring of the writer for that [Josh Kushins],” Rinzler says. “But I think that the new regime of Disney and Lucasfilm is not interested in serious non-fiction books. I was trying for years to do a book on the art of Indiana Jones, because there's about 50 tons of stuff in the archives still but they're not interested in looking into the past at all.”"

https://www.herocollector.com/en-gb/Article/abandoned-the-lost-tie-in-books

To be fair, I get why these Making of books don't come out but the Art of ones do, there's a lot of story details from George's outlines that Lucasfilm wants to spread out into many mediums as they want to and they can't risk letting people know about it because it would spoil future works and other books from Pixar and Marvel and Disney on the films now only released the Art of books, no Making of.
  • AzorAhai
    1367 posts Member
    edited October 9
    Hey, I met that Rinzler fella by pure chance in a restaurant in London back in February 2005. So I bought the making of Revenge of the Sith when it came out.

EDIT: It was 2005, not 2003. Dunno what I was thinking. It was a few months before Ep III came out.
    Post edited by AzorAhai on
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    After the prequels and him giving so much power to Dave Filoni, I could care less what he thinks.

Agreed. I think Lucas lost most credibility with any non-fanatical sect of SW fans by the early 2000s tbh. After 2 of the worst SW films to date and ruining the classic film remasters in the late 90s, he really doesn't have much room to stand on. I'd say less so than Disney tbh.
  • Wasn’t fan backlash against him part of why he sold to Disney in the first place?
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1651 posts Member
    edited October 19
    rollind24 wrote: »
    Wasn’t fan backlash against him part of why he sold to Disney in the first place?

This is what I found on the web about George's decision to sell to Disney a few weeks ago:
    lowell wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    lowell wrote: »
    Vccgrom99 wrote: »
    because many games wanted this and also the clone wars is more varied and has star wars given a bigger galaxis so the clone wars first got more attention and the clones everyone found cool but it has already been confirmed the other epochs also get more attention with episode 9 I think if you want to make this game perfect all the content for all eras must come in I like PT OT and ST I think everyone has to get so much content until it is complete and then the next era will come and Clone Wars is not quite complete based on maps or heroes but I can understand why they are angry 2 modes only for clone wars is stupid I agree with them

And sorry for my english i cant dont speak good english

Second: Each era offer the same amount of variety

vY1Dhvv.gif
    All this clone wars parade of content makes me wonder if they are doing this because they want to end this game after the new batch of content next on december

If this game ends after the RoS update, it won't because of CW content, it'll be because this game is bleeding money and is unsustainable in the long term due the lack of in-game monestisation. That's the theory I've long subscribed to.

First: Each era share the same universe and almost enough locations to add in the game, but because you only said "It's false" without prove it then your argument isn't valid.

Second: I did never said that, if game ends it might be because Disney Star Wars failed.

First: The PT/CW era is stacked with far more planets, weapons, starfighters, heroes, and alternate appearances for troopers than any other (current) canon era. The OT has got the 2nd most amount of potential content in terms of all these things, but there is a lesser pool that has been seen in canon than that of the PT/CW era. The ST is still finding its feet and as such has the least amount of potential content and certainly less variety as the planets, weapons, starfighters and heroes are either outright copies or pale imitations of classic OT content.
    Second: How does adding CW content to make the game fail mean that Disney's Star Wars failed? Disney aren't making DICE add CW content, so this doesn't make any logical sense.

The idea that CW is bigger is ludicrous, is the same universe, the same lore, so there's no limitation to add content on each era, there's no excuse.

If Disney star wars fail, there won't be movies, theme parks, series and games, there won't be nothing.

Well, we have a theme park open already even before the saga films ends in December:

maxresdefault.jpg

The second ride is opening a few days in Orlando before TROS comes to theaters and January in Anaheim:

i=https%253A%252F%252Fs.eximg.jp%252Fexnews%252Ffeed%252FGetnews%252FGetnews_2180167_1020_1.jpg,zoom=1200,quality=70,type=jpg

And Star Wars has their own streaming library home in November on Disney+:

Disney's and Lucasfilm's future plan for Star Wars have been planned longer than we would known about it:

678575f12100e70585f24316c0faffc2.jpg

A theme park that looks like a ghost town then Bob Iger telling that George Lucas felt betrayed by Disney, I just don't see a brillian future for Star Wars.

Well, there's really more to Star Wars that can be explored once the Skywalker Saga is done in December, that's why Lucasfilm exists.

If there was no more Star Wars after TROS, Disney would close down Lucasfilm immediately.

And you're saying that George Lucas wouldn't have gotten as much as criticism from fans if he made the ST films the way he wanted to as he got from the PT films?

He was ready to exit Star Wars before the Disney sale:

"Lucas seized control of his movies from the studios only to discover that the fanboys could still give him script notes. “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html

"Whatever post-Lucasfilm projects he was looking forward to, including launching a museum devoted to narrative art and starting a new family—he married Mellody Hobson, president of a Chicago money-management firm, in June 2013, and the couple had a daughter, Everest, later that year (he also has three adult children)—Lucas may have been motivated to sell in part by the sometimes harsh reactions to his more recent movies. The prequels made piles of money, but the griping about them rubbed him a bit raw. “It was fine before the Internet,” he told Bloomberg Businessweek following the Lucasfilm sale. “But now . . . it’s gotten very vicious and very personal. You just say, ‘Why do I need to do this?’ ” One could argue that billionaire movie moguls should have tougher hides, but most of them don’t have to deal with critiques such as “George Lucas [removed] my childhood,” which has become an unfortunate fanboy catchphrase. There is even a 2010 documentary on this subject, an essay in disenchantment and misplaced possessiveness titled The People vs. George Lucas."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-the-force-awakens-vanity-fair-cover

He was probably relieved that Disney could afford to take hits like TLJ. But then, don't you find it odd that some people said TCW coming back was Disney's apology for TLJ?
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on
  • giphy.gif
    5char
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • JediJulius
    698 posts Member
    edited October 21
    I'm torn on George Lucas. On one hand, the first two prequels were mediocre (three was awesome) and his remasters of the OT were often pointless CGI and audio edits that detracted from much of the original scenes (again barring one or two exceptions).

On the other hand, we still owe the existence of Star Wars and its incredible universe to him. Plus I imagine the OT heroes would've been presented a bit more...favorably(?) in the ST were he still present (instead of Han just returning to a washed up smuggler, Luke simply giving up entirely, and Leia still being a general except now on the sidelines.) I also feel terrible for all the raw, unforgiving hatred that he got during the time of the prequels (which contributed many good things to Star Wars as well as a few bad) and can only imagine how worn down he was by the time of the Disney sale.
    Post edited by JediJulius on
  • David1543
    536 posts Member
    edited October 17
    Delet
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    I want to say something. One can pull as many critiques as one wants about George and his decisions, however there is one thing no one can ever deny and that George Lucas is a man of vision

Through his and the many, many, efforts by others involved in the movie making and EU writing he and the others gave us a vast universe full of story, imagination, and ideas that revolutionized film-making and story making forever

Even now 40 years later we are all here discussing this franchise because it is something we all enjoy and something that has affected us. Despite any of our grievances George Lucas's creation and vision have all left a great impact on us

Even the PT while many rightful complaints can be levied against it, George Lucas did something that is so unseen nowadays. He did something entirely new, rather than just carry the style of the OT in a new design aesthetic he gave us an entire new side to the Star Wars galaxy. A new side filled with countless ideas to be explored and chronicled in new and interesting stories

In the end when you look at the bigger picture, the mistakes George made truly pale in comparison to the magnitude of his creation

Well said. There's no denying the impact his storytelling and imagination have had on many lives, including mine.
    "Rise."