criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

General Grevious Cape

I'm pretty sure most of the community won't care if the cape occasionally glitches. We should have his black cape from RotS and his White cape from his first apperance in the Clone Wars show (2003)
ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

Rule 39: Never say no to Bacta

When you have been playing since launch Cool kid 8)

I want to make a squad of 4 Commandos and then scream "FORM UP DELTA SQUAD"

We need Delta Squad Commando skins.

Replies

• Here here! His grey and red cape is so menacing.
  • Gizmoe
    107 posts Member
    Ah yes General Grievouses cape crafted from the finest Wookiee skins and strands of Padme Amidala’s hair.
  • Surely they can figure out how to animate a cape. DICE, it’s 2019.

The problem has never been animating it, but having it make sense and not clipping during abilities, I'd say in particular the trouble is with the spider run or whatever it's called, it's not that hard to imagine why they didn't go with it
  • It would be my favorite skin in the game most definitely
  • They should be able to do this but they likely won’t because they’re understaffed and want to do other things. I agree they should be able to make it not clip during spider run or when he uses his unrelenting advance and saber charge. I mean they can make the caps static when he does his spider run, like have it kinda hover slightly above his back and when he crawls. Then when he gets up, it goes back to being reanimated. I mean it would look weird but it should certainly be easier to implement and won’t be clipping through him while he crawls.

The problem has never been animating it, but having it make sense and not clipping during abilities, I'd say in particular the trouble is with the spider run or whatever it's called, it's not that hard to imagine why they didn't go with it

This all goes without saying. They have tons of capes in the game as is. Again, surely they can figure out.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • They can do it, but will they? Doubtful.

This all goes without saying. They have tons of capes in the game as is. Again, surely they can figure out.

Yeah! we need a classy grievous skin. All we have is damaged skins.
    Easier said than done.
  • 4 arms is a priority, don't get sidetracked by hats.
  • IXPrometheusXI
    519 posts Member
    edited October 2
    If we keep bumping and talking in this thread we can get there attention and they will do it! Another cool skin idea would be Grevious all white like in the Clone Wars TV show 2003
    ldx15ma9nsj5.jpg
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• MC_XIX wrote: »
    zvglb149d7yv.gif

Why ;-;
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• Bumpity Bump ;)
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• MC_XIX
    2030 posts Member
    MC_XIX wrote: »
    zvglb149d7yv.gif

Why ;-;

Jk mate, I saw this topic and Edna Mode sprang to mind, lol.

Of course I would like to see Grievous with his epic cape :smile:
  • MC_XIX wrote: »
    MC_XIX wrote: »
    zvglb149d7yv.gif

Why ;-;

Jk mate, I saw this topic and Edna Mode sprang to mind, lol.

Of course I would like to see Grievous with his epic cape :smile:

Lmao thats great.
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

Even Minecraft capes are better than Vader's
    9wexqoicrpnu.png
  • Bumpity Bump
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

I thought the animation dept. had been too busy working on the sooooo manyyy skins we got
  • Bumpity bump
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• Let me try to explain why this won't happen: it is not worth the time and complexity, that needs to be adressed here.

So, let's start basic: How are capes normally created?
    • to create a cape, something similar to planes are used. You then tweak them around, add special treatment and physics behavior to it, so that they start to behave something like a flag which is pulled down except for one or two nodes, which hold the cape still and where it is. From here on, you basically tweak it for decades to work with the animations smoothly and without it wiggling around all the time, since physics in video game engines can b pretty hard to master.
    • Once you have this basic setup which might take a while on its own, you have to further adjust it to the character animations and abilities, like jumping and stuff, which again, takes time and is not the nicest thing to do all day long
    • now add up on this the fact that you need textures, normal maps and special treatments to it, since clothes are effected by the weather (e.g. rain on kamino) in this game, and you can spend several more days on this

Now, let's take a look at why grievous could actually have some issues behaving properly with a cape
    • abilities. Abilities with grievous are quite difficult on their own. On the one part, when he enters 4-arm-mode and move the arms bag to ultimately unleash them. Leaving the cape as is and keeping the "standard" physics applied to it, this would most likely look like crap. Furthermore it would most likely interfer with the animation and potentially cause either the cap to cut into the character model OR depending on how they handle the aboard functions of the heroes, cancel the animation and therefore the ability, causing way more workarounds that need to be in place than thought. So you do not only have a design issue, but also a technical issue. Second ability is the running away like a crab ability. Same issues as mentioned above here. Except the fact that even more body parts come out of grievous trying to show what happens in all its glory detail. Additionally, the cape is again most likely barely effected by the character animation itself and would just look like crap

Next, how could these issues be approach?
    • I truly do not know how they handle their other clothing behaviours and how they handle capes expecially. But you either have to animate the cape on its own, adding a bone like structure to it and trying to get it as natural looking as possible (-> nearly impossible). Second chance is you add depending on the movements played wind zones, which actually effect only the cape (-> not worth the testing and will most likely cause just more issues) or come up with a better idea, cause the only one left is tweaking with the physics system applied to the cape itself in cooperation with the played animations of the character model which is still quite compley and is more of a trial and error thing

So, conclusion? It is not worth it, especially with so little developer count. There is no easy way to do it, there is no best approach, there is basically just trial and error and hostly, all of this just for one skin that most likely barely anyone will purchase as long as the monetization system in general has not received an overhall?

Not. worth.development.time.
  • Ah, sorry, forgot to mention the possibility to create some sort of animation behavior in the 3D modeling tool which is most likely used to create the cape instead of an in-engine plane. This still requires much more time that it should do for such an easy looking task, but once imported in-engine, while gameplay, it could bug the hell out of the game and furthermore just not work and look right. Which would cause a mixture of 3D animation tool and in-engine physics adjustments what would in a cause break the devs head :)

As pointed out, these are just my thoughts on it, but you get the point: it is far more complex than it looks and than it should be. And it is simply not worth the devs time atm
  • False

Grievous with a cape is worth all the manpower DICE has to offer

I am Darth Vader, he said within himself.

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

He had become, finally, what they had all called him:

The Hero With No Fear.

• False

Grievous with a cape is worth all the manpower DICE has to offer

Definitely agree. Grievous is not damaged all the time, we need a classy skin for him, period.
  • I’d like a grievous overhaul with 4 lightsaber combat.

That would be so good! I’ve always found it disappointing that he doesn’t have 4 arms in his strings, when he did in the original game.

All the unique things heroes do in the movies are tied in abilities rather than being a default feature (Example Grievous's four arms, Dooku's lighting).
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements
    Heroes vs Villains Improvements
    Staff Strikes Improvement

m3s3leriptmd.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

I will not stop complaining until DICE update Leia's Hoth skin's sideburns and add some for Rey!!

• I’d like a grievous overhaul with 4 lightsaber combat.

That would be so good! I’ve always found it disappointing that he doesn’t have 4 arms in his strings, when he did in the original game.

All the unique things heroes do in the movies are tied in abilities rather than being a default feature (Example Grievous's four arms, Dooku's lighting).

True, but it would be nice if he had an all four saber wield ability, or to just replace thrust surge with it.
  • This is just my observation guess but Grievous only has a couple animations that would clip through his cape badly, mainly his lightsabers blades, and you can easily work around this by animating the cape with his moves, Not saying it's that easy but it probably take the same amount of time that it takes them to make a new entire skin for Luke.
  • This is just my observation guess but Grievous only has a couple animations that would clip through his cape badly, mainly his lightsabers blades, and you can easily work around this by animating the cape with his moves, Not saying it's that easy but it probably take the same amount of time that it takes them to make a new entire skin for Luke.

Like I think most of the community would not care if the cape clipped a little bit on a few moves.
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

Like I think most of the community would not care if the cape clipped a little bit on a few moves.

I certainly wouldn't care

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

The Hero With No Fear.

I certainly wouldn't care

Right! The badass feel that look carries certainly outweighs any small issues it might have. They could charge 40-80 Thousand credits and no one would complain
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• I'd happily buy the cape skin for 80k. I barely even like playing as Grievous. He always seems a bit too slow.
  • 62rhbyyf2n9p.gif

The Hero With No Fear.

• Definitely but they might mess up the cape like majority of the characters face in the game
  • Definitely but they might mess up the cape like majority of the characters face in the game

Its a cape. they can't mess it up like a face
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

• They said they tried it but it wasn't working...looked ridiculous when he went into spider crawl...I can imagine it looks awkward. He shed it during his fighting in ROTS so it also fits for him not to have it on in combat.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

Ouch. :( They could legit find a way to mess it up though
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg