criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Patch notes should be released week before the patch to gauge the community's response/make changes

Prev1
Vader's choke damage reduction removal is the perfect example of how the community has responded negatively to one change in particular of an upcoming patch. Because of the delay of releasing the patch this week, developers now have time to remove this from the patch. Of course this is if it is determined that the community's obvious "outrage" over the proposed change is significant enough for the damage reduction to stay in place.

This is just one example of what could be done for all future patches and would help minimise the possible negative impact certain changes might of had if they were released the day after the notes were and with no changes made to reflect the community's feelings on certain topics.

Replies

• JadeRaptor64
    1966 posts Member
    edited October 9
    I like this idea. The reaction of the community to this last future patch has shown that hopefully DICE can make changes to patches if the community does not approve.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Please change it to CC Immunity removal. DR is fine

I am Darth Vader, he said within himself.

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

He had become, finally, what they had all called him:

The Hero With No Fear.

• Please change it to CC Immunity removal. DR is fine

Vader is not really the focus of this thread haha he was just a good example and the most up to date and relevant one at the moment.
  • "Patch notes should be released week before the patch to gauge the community's response/make changes"
    They can't do that because patches are completed two weeks prior to their release as this is how long the approval process is for the consoles. This was explained to us a while ago, can't remember who told us, but basically once DICE submit a patch it's locked in and they can't make any changes until the next patch.
    So releasing patch notes a week early would do nothing as they can't change anything before the patch goes live, they can only change it in the next one. It's part of the reason they only tell us what's in the patch the day before, that and the fact that it's only really worth knowing the day before it happens.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • "Patch notes should be released week before the patch to gauge the community's response/make changes"
    They can't do that because patches are completed two weeks prior to their release as this is how long the approval process is for the consoles. This was explained to us a while ago, can't remember who told us, but basically once DICE submit a patch it's locked in and they can't make any changes until the next patch.
    So releasing patch notes a week early would do nothing as they can't change anything before the patch goes live, they can only change it in the next one. It's part of the reason they only tell us what's in the patch the day before, that and the fact that it's only really worth knowing the day before it happens.

Ok I wasn't aware of that. Well I guess just release the notes 3 weeks early then. It leaves one week to change anything before submission to the approval process happens. Even if they were released up to 5 or 6 weeks early then changes could still be made in advance without us having to deal with them in the actual game. The community is at a point now where we know how a change will play in the game, and we don't need to be able to experience it first hand to know if it will be a good change or not. Devs should take advantage of that.

With that in mind, i hope they revert (or at least fix) the stupid change in the vader's choke for the update patch of this month

Ok I wasn't aware of that. Well I guess just release the notes 3 weeks early then. It leaves one week to change anything before submission to the approval process happens. Even if they were released up to 5 or 6 weeks early then changes could still be made in advance without us having to deal with them in the actual game. The community is at a point now where we know how a change will play in the game, and we don't need to be able to experience it first hand to know if it will be a good change or not. Devs should take advantage of that.

Also can't do that because they can't write patch notes until the patch is finished and to release patch notes a week before it's finished would mean that some stuff might not be included. Plus, one week is hardly enough time to receive adequate feedback on a planned patch and then change something if fans are unhappy about it.
    Again, the reason we get patch notes the day before and not 1 or 3 weeks before is because that's the point at which DICE know that it will be going live and that is therefore when they can inform the community of what will be in the patch. They can't do it any sooner.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

Also can't do that because they can't write patch notes until the patch is finished and to release patch notes a week before it's finished would mean that some stuff might not be included. Plus, one week is hardly enough time to receive adequate feedback on a planned patch and then change something if fans are unhappy about it.
    Again, the reason we get patch notes the day before and not 1 or 3 weeks before is because that's the point at which DICE know that it will be going live and that is therefore when they can inform the community of what will be in the patch. They can't do it any sooner.

Huh? Yes they can write whatever they want on their own forums about intended future changes. It doesn't have to be "official" patch notes of which have already been submitted to Microsoft for approval. If they just showed us a drafted version 3 weeks early, then even if one or two things are added or removed afterwards, at least we have had enough time to view and react to the majority of the patch.

Also yes a week is enough time to make the Vader change to the patch for example. The patch came out and within a day there were dozens of threads and people calling for it to not happen. So gauging the community's response is quite quick and easy. Then all they have to do is... just not add that feature. If they can't figure out how to integrate that into a patch within a week then this games bug fix outlook is worse than any of us could of ever imagined.
  • Don’t think it gives them much time for changes.This community would cry about almost every aspect of an update so that would leave them in tough spot. Through all the noise what would they listen to?
  • If they did that, nothing would ever get updated because the community can't agree on anything. What would be the criteria for changes meeting the community's approval? 51% approval? 75%? 90%?
  • Idea is otherwise good, but it needs ingame voting feedback system for upcoming changes. I haven't seen any game with this kind of system, this would be first one. Then you could say that community really wanted these features and gameplay changes, now it is just few loudest crybabies who get their attention.
  • JayJedi wrote: »
    If they did that, nothing would ever get updated because the community can't agree on anything. What would be the criteria for changes meeting the community's approval? 51% approval? 75%? 90%?

The same criteria that makes any community based game tweak happen. An overwhelming majority that pushes for something to happen. Now this example I gave with Vader is a perfect example. Within one day of them announcing the intentional changes, there were A LOT of threads with a A LOT of "agrees", and it's quite obvious the majority don't like this change at all.

Now if you're asking me to come up with a very specific set of criteria to be fulfilled for a change to happen... I not going to go and gather all the data of all past patch changes and measure their level of acceptance by the community into data that could be used as "reliable" to the point of giving the development team a tool to predict whether or not they should revert a proposed change in future patch notes.

Yes that obviously could be done ^. But I'm definitely not doing it haha. That job is best left for A.i./supercomputers. Things that most certainly won't be used by Dice to determine a small patch change haha.

The best thing to do is go off of their feelings basically. When on the forums long enough you develop a sense for it. Like in almost anything. Some things are very clear when they need a change, others not so much. Another example of the forum community very clearing voicing the majority's opinion was just a couple patches ago when the Saber combat got messed up. It didn't take any specific criteria to fulfill to know it was a big issue. It just took monitoring of the forums for even two days after the patch and it was clear there was a problem.
  • Don’t think it gives them much time for changes.This community would cry about almost every aspect of an update so that would leave them in tough spot. Through all the noise what would they listen to?

Community has only clearly voices annoyance at Vader's choke change and Luke's Saber damage not being changed. Those are the 2 stand outs in this patch.

Now remember I don't really care that much either way what happens with them. I'm just pointing out how I see the forum react. I do have an opinion on those 2 topics, but they're not backed by strong feelings at all really.
  • You don't understand how patches work. DICE/EA usually submit patches weeks before they are released so that Sony and Microsoft can test and green light them for release over their networks. EA also pays a lot of money (tens of thousands of dollars) to have them released over the PSN and Xbox network.

They'd have to release the patch notes at least a month early for us to review if they wanted to make any changes before sending it to Sony and Microsoft.

This community cannot even agree that water is wet so I don't want DICE running every patch through the forums first.
  • I think with the overwhelmingly negative feedback on the removal of Vader’s damage reduction, I doubt it’ll get removed. They’ve released patch notes stating changes before and never changed them. Most notably bobas 200hp regen. They put in the patch notes boba would get 200hp regen but never did. With the forums, youtubers, and people on reddit all saying they do not want it removed, I doubt they’ll remove it. What they need to do is lower Luke’s intensify card to max out at 150. Its way too strong for them not to address it.
  • Unless you would want the patch delayed for over a month, then there’s no point. First, they would to release the notes. Then, after a few days the can get some information from what the people have said. Then, it might take them 2 weeks to make some of the changes. Then another week for approvals. Then finally, a whole month later you finally get the patch which probably has loads of bugs because of how rushed it was.
    PSN: this_old_mouse
  • You don't understand how patches work. DICE/EA usually submit patches weeks before they are released so that Sony and Microsoft can test and green light them for release over their networks. EA also pays a lot of money (tens of thousands of dollars) to have them released over the PSN and Xbox network.

They'd have to release the patch notes at least a month early for us to review if they wanted to make any changes before sending it to Sony and Microsoft.

This community cannot even agree that water is wet so I don't want DICE running every patch through the forums first.

Read the rest of the thread. That's all been covered.
  • Unless you would want the patch delayed for over a month, then there’s no point. First, they would to release the notes. Then, after a few days the can get some information from what the people have said. Then, it might take them 2 weeks to make some of the changes. Then another week for approvals. Then finally, a whole month later you finally get the patch which probably has loads of bugs because of how rushed it was.

It would never delay a patch. If drafted patch notes were released 3 weeks early (like I've said throughout the thread once I was told of the patch process) then only a certain few things that the community react strongly to could then be modified over the next week, and then all is submitted to Microsoft and Sony for the 2 week patch acceptance process to begin.

If they already have these patch notes ready to go 2 weeks before a patch drops. Then they must have a pretty good idea of everything that's in the patch just 3 weeks before it drops as well, and they would have the notes of most of the intended changes already.
  • Also perhaps there is a way they can alter small parts of the patch during the approval process with Microsoft and Sony. Like @Boomerkills said with Boba and other notes being in there but not actually making it to the game.

Unless the actual notes were never amended to match up with the submitted patch 2 weeks prior, then those changes were made within a pretty close time frame to the release of the patch.
  • Also perhaps there is a way they can alter small parts of the patch during the approval process with Microsoft and Sony. Like @Boomerkills said with Boba and other notes being in there but not actually making it to the game.

Unless the actual notes were never amended to match up with the submitted patch 2 weeks prior, then those changes were made within a pretty close time frame to the release of the patch.

Let’s hope and pray it’s just that
  • Something to consider is that this is their game. We just play it. They don't have to run their changes by us to see if we approve. There aren't any other Star Wars games on the market so it's not like we can go elsewhere for a Star Wars experience. I understand where OP is coming from, but I think this would make things much worse. Each patch usually has bugs in it, and I can only see that getting worse if they are trying to scramble to change things in a week due to the forums and Reddit boohooing over patch notes.
  • Something to consider is that this is their game. We just play it. They don't have to run their changes by us to see if we approve. There aren't any other Star Wars games on the market so it's not like we can go elsewhere for a Star Wars experience. I understand where OP is coming from, but I think this would make things much worse. Each patch usually has bugs in it, and I can only see that getting worse if they are trying to scramble to change things in a week due to the forums and Reddit boohooing over patch notes.

Yeah they don't need to run it by us. But assuming bugs don't increase, it would just be the logical thing to do if they want to minimise risk involved when it comes to losing any of the playerbase in the future. To not work with the community would be unwise. I mean just imagine the things we could of avoided in the last year if we had known of patch notes a month early, and then the development team alter things. The entire Anakin issue at the start of the year could of been avoided. Luke's current Saber damage could be as well.

I don't have anything to do with programming, so I'm just assuming here. However, with this Vader choke change, surely just leaving it as it is would not cause any bugs. I mean I know changes to a patch affect things in completely different parts of the game sometimes. But things like "not altering anything" surely have low risk. I'd imagine most bugs comes from things that are added and no thing that are taken out of the patches at the last moment before submission.

Studios like NetherRealm work very closely with the community. Mortal Kombat is constantly seeing changes because of community requests and in the professional level, clear unbalance is seen. If they didn’t nerf Erron Black like they did, which was a community request because he was so broken, he would remain supreme and most players would quit if matchmade against a good Erron Black player. Yes this is DICE’s game but if they want a healthy playerbase, they have to listen to feedback. They have to listen to what we want and don’t want, otherwise they’ll add things nobody wants and discourage us from playing. For ANY game to be successful there has to be some sort of community involvement.

Studios like NetherRealm work very closely with the community. Mortal Kombat is constantly seeing changes because of community requests and in the professional level, clear unbalance is seen. If they didn’t nerf Erron Black like they did, which was a community request because he was so broken, he would remain supreme and most players would quit if matchmade against a good Erron Black player. Yes this is DICE’s game but if they want a healthy playerbase, they have to listen to feedback. They have to listen to what we want and don’t want, otherwise they’ll add things nobody wants and discourage us from playing. For ANY game to be successful there has to be some sort of community involvement.

Fatality! The Terminator wins.

I didn’t say Dice shouldn’t take feedback. I said they don’t have to run their change by us for approval. I don’t play Mortal Kombat, but I highly doubt that they release patch notes and then scramble to change the patch at the last second due to their community’s feedback. Dice obviously listens to this Community about some things or Anakin would have never been fixed etc....

I didn’t say Dice shouldn’t take feedback. I said they don’t have to run their change by us for approval. I don’t play Mortal Kombat, but I highly doubt that they release patch notes and then scramble to change the patch at the last second due to their community’s feedback. Dice obviously listens to this Community about some things or Anakin would have never been fixed etc....

Anakin never needed fixing. He was fine after the first nerf to HM. The crybabies ruined him.

He’s actually pretty fun to use. Super slow though

I haven't even played it. I just saw that fatality where he sends the guy to the future and the other terminator shoots him haha was awesome.

I haven't even played it. I just saw that fatality where he sends the guy to the future and the other terminator shoots him haha was awesome.

He’s really cool. The only thing I wish about him was I wish Arnold did the actual voiceover for him

Anakin never needed fixing. He was fine after the first nerf to HM. The crybabies ruined him.

You’re delusional if you think that. He was one shotting full health heroes through walls. He was fun to play as, but he was completely broken in large modes.

You’re delusional if you think that. He was one shotting full health heroes through walls. He was fun to play as, but he was completely broken in large modes.

I said after the first HM nerf to 400 damage. He was honestly fine to begin with. He was as powerful as he should’ve been in the game. He wasn’t invincible. Teamwork and smart play was enough to kill Anakin. I never wanted him nerfed because to kill Anakin took something you clearly lack, skill. And nerfing him catered to those why don’t care to, for lack of better words, git gud at the game. The moral of the story with Anakin, if you’re stupid enough to shoot him while he’s standing still, you deserve to die. Don’t know why it’s so hard for people to grasp that and eventually it’s what got him nerfed to nothing.

I said after the first HM nerf to 400 damage. He was honestly fine to begin with. He was as powerful as he should’ve been in the game. He wasn’t invincible. Teamwork and smart play was enough to kill Anakin. I never wanted him nerfed because to kill Anakin took something you clearly lack, skill. And nerfing him catered to those why don’t care to, for lack of better words, git gud at the game. The moral of the story with Anakin, if you’re stupid enough to shoot him while he’s standing still, you deserve to die. Don’t know why it’s so hard for people to grasp that and eventually it’s what got him nerfed to nothing.

Dude, he would literally one shot full health heroes that weren’t even in the same room with him. HM would go through walls. Did you even play this game when Anakin was first released? I’ll ignore your nonsense about my skill....boring..... Last I checked, I can’t force 19 other players to stop attacking him... If you honestly think Anakin was fine when he was released, that’s all I need to know about your opinions. You don’t care about balance at all, and you should be ignored.
  • Boomerkills
    395 posts Member
    edited October 10
    Something to consider is that this is their game. We just play it. They don't have to run their changes by us to see if we approve. There aren't any other Star Wars games on the market so it's not like we can go elsewhere for a Star Wars experience. I understand where OP is coming from, but I think this would make things much worse. Each patch usually has bugs in it, and I can only see that getting worse if they are trying to scramble to change things in a week due to the forums and Reddit boohooing over patch notes.

Dude, he would literally one shot full health heroes that weren’t even in the same room with him. HM would go through walls. Did you even play this game when Anakin was first released? I’ll ignore your nonsense about my skill....boring..... Last I checked, I can’t force 19 other players to stop attacking him... If you honestly think Anakin was fine when he was released, that’s all I need to know about your opinions. You don’t care about balance at all, and you should be ignored.

HM wouldn’t go through walls lmao you’re just trying to exaggerate because you want to look like you have any standing. Anakin was fine on release. He was perfect when he was nerfed the first time or two but crybabies like you ruined him because you weren’t good enough to beat a competent player. Of course I care about balance but I don’t need any validation from you lmao I have a better idea for balance and what should be in this game or not than most people on here. It blows my mind DICE listens to babies like you. But right now Anakin is not the focal point of the community discussion, Vader is the one that needs no tampering with.
    Post edited by Boomerkills on

He’s really cool. The only thing I wish about him was I wish Arnold did the actual voiceover for him

I thought they also should of used the Terminator 2 version of Arnold as well. That's the most iconic terminator.

HM definitely didn't go through walls. However HM when it was first released was way too OP to stay in the game. Anything that instantly kills a hero like that is way too OP. It's been nerfed a little too much now though. An increase in damage to troopers by 100 damage would make it balanced. Plus a removal of retribution.
  • They are never going to please the whole community. That much is clear.

They will get caned from some direction every patch release. Change one thing to appease someone and you upset someone else.

The way they do it at the moment is fine I think.

They will get caned from some direction every patch release. Change one thing to appease someone and you upset someone else.

So you would rather have things changed and then we react to them? Rather than being able to react and then possibly avoiding situations like Anakin's launch heroic might altogether?
  • Lyc4n
    1346 posts Member
    I think you are wrong to be honest. At the end of the day its their game. We need to move away from expecting them to change the game to our wants. Theres a tonne of things i would change in the game and asking for it is one thing but expecting them to change it because the community dont like it is wrong. The developers have the right to balance the game however they please.

Like i said if you want something ask for it but dont expect something no matter how much sense it makes in your head.
  • Lyc4n
    1346 posts Member
    They are never going to please the whole community. That much is clear.

So you would rather have things changed and then we react to them? Rather than being able to react and then possibly avoiding situations like Anakin's launch heroic might altogether?

1 they normally dont lock down numbers till just before the parch
    2 they wouldnt have time to change it.
    3 sometimes things can sound overpowered but are then not and other times the other way around
    Everyone thought droidekas would be completly overpowered and they released just fine.

It would never delay a patch. If drafted patch notes were released 3 weeks early (like I've said throughout the thread once I was told of the patch process) then only a certain few things that the community react strongly to could then be modified over the next week, and then all is submitted to Microsoft and Sony for the 2 week patch acceptance process to begin.

If they already have these patch notes ready to go 2 weeks before a patch drops. Then they must have a pretty good idea of everything that's in the patch just 3 weeks before it drops as well, and they would have the notes of most of the intended changes already.
    They can’t do that though. They’re on a very tight schedule. Why do you think they release the notes just hours before the patch sometimes? It’s not because they like to delay stuff, it’s because they can’t do it any faster because of the approvals and stuff.

PSN: this_old_mouse

yes. absolutely. By the mere mention of the word 'possibly' suggests a never ending load of guesswork.

I really didn't have a problem with anakin at launch. Yea he was tough but I'm from the gaming generation that dealt with a game when it launched and worked out how to play it. Even though a character had a strong ability, it was beatable.

Id rather they didn't change anything like that and concentrated on proper broken things ... like matchmaking

They can’t do that though. They’re on a very tight schedule. Why do you think they release the notes just hours before the patch sometimes? It’s not because they like to delay stuff, it’s because they can’t do it any faster because of the approvals and stuff.

What are you on about?? I'm asking for drafted patch notes to be released 1 week before they Submit a patch. So apparently according to everyone on here that's then 3 weeks before it goes live. And c'mon, they can most likely make small adjustments to the patch when it is in the approval process as well. I don't know why they release the notes a day early. In assuming because they haven't really entertained the idea of involving the community to this extent. Like yeah we get a say, but it's a delayed response to things that have already gone live usually.
  • Lyc4n wrote: »
    They are never going to please the whole community. That much is clear.

1 they normally dont lock down numbers till just before the parch
    2 they wouldnt have time to change it.
    3 sometimes things can sound overpowered but are then not and other times the other way around
    Everyone thought droidekas would be completly overpowered and they released just fine.

How do you know they wouldn't have time to change it within a week? I doubt you can say that with certainty. If they can't take out of the patch to DMG reduction with choke within a week, then that's pathetic.

Also what's with all this "It's their game, they can do what they want". What's that got to do with anything? I'm suggesting they just let the community interact more. It's not like it's theirs to the point of they own it and they've said no one else is allowed to play. We're all involved here. It's just nice to involve us and also in their best interests to make it how the majority would like it to be.

The logic of "it's theirs so they do what they want" would then have to include the forums as well. Which means they wouldn't bother with doing surveys or asking for feedback at all. The very fact they do those things suggests they want our input and don't view the game through the eyes of only themselves. Now all I'm suggesting is a quicker approach to removing unwanted changes. This Vader choke example in particular is something we already know how it works. We've had Vader have no DMG reduction before. There is no need for us to play and try and figure out if it's worth while him not having it. There are many tweaks and changes that we can just imagine and make a decision on, rather than experiencing and then making a decision.

yes. absolutely. By the mere mention of the word 'possibly' suggests a never ending load of guesswork.

I really didn't have a problem with anakin at launch. Yea he was tough but I'm from the gaming generation that dealt with a game when it launched and worked out how to play it. Even though a character had a strong ability, it was beatable.

Id rather they didn't change anything like that and concentrated on proper broken things ... like matchmaking

Boo!! "Possibly!" Did I scare you?

Patches by nature are guess work. There is no 100% certainty the Devs can have that their patch will be good for the game or not. My suggestion limits the margin of error, and that's all. It's not a big massive deal.

The forum already argues about changes in hindsight. Why not just move that arguing to before a patch drops and then avoid most of the issues after it drops. (Not including bugs).

Patches by nature are guess work. There is no 100% certainty the Devs can have that their patch will be good for the game or not. My suggestion limits the margin of error, and that's all. It's not a big massive deal.

The forum already argues about changes in hindsight. Why not just move that arguing to before a patch drops and then avoid most of the issues after it drops. (Not including bugs).

Well... Sounds like we are assuming we would know what an issue would be in the future just by reading the patch notes.....

I actually doubt that.

Until an update has been played we don't know how it will affect game play.

Well... Sounds like we are assuming we would know what an issue would be in the future just by reading the patch notes.....

I actually doubt that.

We've already had Vader without damage reduction... So we know how it will affect gameplay.

I actually doubt that.

We've already had Vader without damage reduction... So we know how it will affect gameplay.

Yep, and then there were threads and threads of people saying how bad it is now and to change it back.
    What a total waste of time.

I actually doubt that.

Yep, and then there were threads and threads of people saying how bad it is now and to change it back.
    What a total waste of time.

So you then do you agree my idea would of avoided the whole last few months? Surely you must if you consider it a waste of time and that if Devs had access to our opinions before the change, then they never would of done it in the first place.