criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Patch notes should be released week before the patch to gauge the community's response/make changes

2Next

Replies

• They are never going to please the whole community. That much is clear.

They will get caned from some direction every patch release. Change one thing to appease someone and you upset someone else.

The way they do it at the moment is fine I think.

So you would rather have things changed and then we react to them? Rather than being able to react and then possibly avoiding situations like Anakin's launch heroic might altogether?

yes. absolutely. By the mere mention of the word 'possibly' suggests a never ending load of guesswork.

I really didn't have a problem with anakin at launch. Yea he was tough but I'm from the gaming generation that dealt with a game when it launched and worked out how to play it. Even though a character had a strong ability, it was beatable.

Id rather they didn't change anything like that and concentrated on proper broken things ... like matchmaking

Boo!! "Possibly!" Did I scare you?

Patches by nature are guess work. There is no 100% certainty the Devs can have that their patch will be good for the game or not. My suggestion limits the margin of error, and that's all. It's not a big massive deal.

The forum already argues about changes in hindsight. Why not just move that arguing to before a patch drops and then avoid most of the issues after it drops. (Not including bugs).

Well... Sounds like we are assuming we would know what an issue would be in the future just by reading the patch notes.....

I actually doubt that.

Until an update has been played we don't know how it will affect game play.

We've already had Vader without damage reduction... So we know how it will affect gameplay.

Yep, and then there were threads and threads of people saying how bad it is now and to change it back.
    What a total waste of time.

So you then do you agree my idea would of avoided the whole last few months? Surely you must if you consider it a waste of time and that if Devs had access to our opinions before the change, then they never would of done it in the first place.

The devs already have access to people's opinions about Vader's damage reduction from the last time they did it but they've gone and done it again anyway.
    Releasing patch notes as they're doing the patch or announcing their intended plans would do nothing to stop them from doing what they're going to do because aside from being impractical, they make these changes because of internal data they see about how the game is performing and if the data shows Vader being too powerful overall then they'll nerf him.
    The problem is that, with this over-reliance on raw data, they tend to nerf too much and this is why they will often buff heroes back up slightly when they realise it was too much. It's a balancing act that they still haven't quite worked out.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

They will get caned from some direction every patch release. Change one thing to appease someone and you upset someone else.

So you would rather have things changed and then we react to them? Rather than being able to react and then possibly avoiding situations like Anakin's launch heroic might altogether?

yes. absolutely. By the mere mention of the word 'possibly' suggests a never ending load of guesswork.

I really didn't have a problem with anakin at launch. Yea he was tough but I'm from the gaming generation that dealt with a game when it launched and worked out how to play it. Even though a character had a strong ability, it was beatable.

Id rather they didn't change anything like that and concentrated on proper broken things ... like matchmaking

Patches by nature are guess work. There is no 100% certainty the Devs can have that their patch will be good for the game or not. My suggestion limits the margin of error, and that's all. It's not a big massive deal.

The forum already argues about changes in hindsight. Why not just move that arguing to before a patch drops and then avoid most of the issues after it drops. (Not including bugs).

Well... Sounds like we are assuming we would know what an issue would be in the future just by reading the patch notes.....

I actually doubt that.

We've already had Vader without damage reduction... So we know how it will affect gameplay.

Yep, and then there were threads and threads of people saying how bad it is now and to change it back.

So you then do you agree my idea would of avoided the whole last few months? Surely you must if you consider it a waste of time and that if Devs had access to our opinions before the change, then they never would of done it in the first place.

The devs already have access to people's opinions about Vader's damage reduction from the last time they did it but they've gone and done it again anyway.
    Releasing patch notes as they're doing the patch or announcing their intended plans would do nothing to stop them from doing what they're going to do because aside from being impractical, they make these changes because of internal data they see about how the game is performing and if the data shows Vader being too powerful overall then they'll nerf him.
    The problem is that, with this over-reliance on raw data, they tend to nerf too much and this is why they will often buff heroes back up slightly when they realise it was too much. It's a balancing act that they still haven't quite worked out.

Yes I know they use all their little data tricks to work out who to nerf and who to buff. However the data doesn't point towards how to nerf or buff them. It would just show which hero is getting the most kills relative to the amount of overall time they are played by the community. A nerf to choke like this is a bit much probably, and perhaps a tweak to the length of chokes effect would of been better so that enemies are in the air for less time and are less likely to be shot to death. But anyway, the intricacies of nerfing and buffing based on data is not really my point in this thread though. And Vader was used just as one example of how it could possibly benefit the community.

I've already made my point over and over again about how it could change their "intended plans".

I actually doubt that.

I've already made my point over and over again about how it could change their "intended plans".

But it wouldn't, that's the point people have been trying to get across to you.
    Telling us about their planned nerfs and buffs for each patch weeks in advance would do nothing to change it because people complaining about something they think sounds bad won't do anything as DICE are already committed to changing things based on internal data as well as user feedback about bugs and glitches. Plus, they can't keep coming to the community for feedback on patches because then we'd never get patches as people would complain about something, DICE would change it, and then people will complain about the change or something else and it would just be an endless cycle of DICE constantly trying to meet the extremely demanding needs of a vocal minority of the community and never actually finishing a patch.
    Releasing patch notes several weeks early is both not possible and impractical.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

I actually doubt that.

But it wouldn't, that's the point people have been trying to get across to you.
    Telling us about their planned nerfs and buffs for each patch weeks in advance would do nothing to change it because people complaining about something they think sounds bad won't do anything as DICE are already committed to changing things based on internal data as well as user feedback about bugs and glitches. Plus, they can't keep coming to the community for feedback on patches because then we'd never get patches as people would complain about something, DICE would change it, and then people will complain about the change or something else and it would just be an endless cycle of DICE constantly trying to meet the extremely demanding needs of a vocal minority of the community and never actually finishing a patch.
    Releasing patch notes several weeks early is both not possible and impractical.

Jesus Christ haha read carefully!

IF!!! Ok! IF dice can altered their "planned changes", then guess what? That's an option. So, yes, it would do something if the community felt very strongly about one particular change. Not every change ok. Not all of them! When it reaches a certain level, similar to this current Vader choke issue, then they can perhaps make a different nerf to him rather than the one people are upset about. Orrrrr!!! Just not do a nerf at all and buff some of the other heroes, so then all the heroes are still on par more or less anyway.

Why'd you even say "vocal minority"?? I have used the word "majority" like half a dozen times in this thread when talking about a loose criteria they can use to determine whether or not they should make a change.

I'm not saying they must always change things based on what the community says. I'm saying that releasing the notes early in a drafted form would give them at least one more tool to gauge the community's response to a proposed change, and it MIGHT avoid things like Anakin's heroic might at launch or any other unwanted OP'ness or buffs or nerfs. Also god knows why you think that's impossible for the notes to be released early. Unless you work for them, then you should at least be open to the possibility existing and not say it's impossible.
  • Something to consider is that this is their game. We just play it. They don't have to run their changes by us to see if we approve. There aren't any other Star Wars games on the market so it's not like we can go elsewhere for a Star Wars experience. I understand where OP is coming from, but I think this would make things much worse. Each patch usually has bugs in it, and I can only see that getting worse if they are trying to scramble to change things in a week due to the forums and Reddit boohooing over patch notes.

Studios like NetherRealm work very closely with the community. Mortal Kombat is constantly seeing changes because of community requests and in the professional level, clear unbalance is seen. If they didn’t nerf Erron Black like they did, which was a community request because he was so broken, he would remain supreme and most players would quit if matchmade against a good Erron Black player. Yes this is DICE’s game but if they want a healthy playerbase, they have to listen to feedback. They have to listen to what we want and don’t want, otherwise they’ll add things nobody wants and discourage us from playing. For ANY game to be successful there has to be some sort of community involvement.

I didn’t say Dice shouldn’t take feedback. I said they don’t have to run their change by us for approval. I don’t play Mortal Kombat, but I highly doubt that they release patch notes and then scramble to change the patch at the last second due to their community’s feedback. Dice obviously listens to this Community about some things or Anakin would have never been fixed etc....

Anakin never needed fixing. He was fine after the first nerf to HM. The crybabies ruined him.

You’re delusional if you think that. He was one shotting full health heroes through walls. He was fun to play as, but he was completely broken in large modes.

I said after the first HM nerf to 400 damage. He was honestly fine to begin with. He was as powerful as he should’ve been in the game. He wasn’t invincible. Teamwork and smart play was enough to kill Anakin. I never wanted him nerfed because to kill Anakin took something you clearly lack, skill. And nerfing him catered to those why don’t care to, for lack of better words, git gud at the game. The moral of the story with Anakin, if you’re stupid enough to shoot him while he’s standing still, you deserve to die. Don’t know why it’s so hard for people to grasp that and eventually it’s what got him nerfed to nothing.

Dude, he would literally one shot full health heroes that weren’t even in the same room with him. HM would go through walls. Did you even play this game when Anakin was first released? I’ll ignore your nonsense about my skill....boring..... Last I checked, I can’t force 19 other players to stop attacking him... If you honestly think Anakin was fine when he was released, that’s all I need to know about your opinions. You don’t care about balance at all, and you should be ignored.

HM wouldn’t go through walls lmao you’re just trying to exaggerate because you want to look like you have any standing. Anakin was fine on release. He was perfect when he was nerfed the first time or two but crybabies like you ruined him because you weren’t good enough to beat a competent player. Of course I care about balance but I don’t need any validation from you lmao I have a better idea for balance and what should be in this game or not than most people on here. It blows my mind DICE listens to babies like you. But right now Anakin is not the focal point of the community discussion, Vader is the one that needs no tampering with.

You seem to have anger issues. All I said is they fixed him, which is a statement of fact, and that suddenly means I’m a baby that whined to get him nerfed? I don’t recall ever asking for nerfs for him so not really sure what you’re on about. Try breathing a little.
  • This is the clip in which I thought it went through the walls. After zooming in more, I can see it wasn’t through the walls, but saying this was balanced and fair is crazy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/avlz72/wow/
  • This is the clip in which I thought it went through the walls. After zooming in more, I can see it wasn’t through the walls, but saying this was balanced and fair is crazy.

That Bossk got rekt 😭😭 lmao

I am Darth Vader, he said within himself.

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

He had become, finally, what they had all called him:

The Hero With No Fear.

Yeah he shouldn’t have shot at Anakin while he’s charging up like some noob. Haha /s

Hahaha oh man, as much as I hated being on the receiving end of HM back then. Jhhesus Christ it was fun using him.

Yeah he shouldn’t have shot at Anakin while he’s charging up like some noob. Haha /s

Never saw him shoot at Anakin at all 😂 I just saw him get rekt

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

The Hero With No Fear.

He had the nerve to throw his gas grenade near Anakin. He got what he deserved... Instant death from full health.

He had the nerve to throw his gas grenade near Anakin. He got what he deserved... Instant death from full health.

Agreed 😤😤 He should get a long tbag for that

The Hero With No Fear.

I was mocking Boomerkills saying Anakin was fine back then. Yeah he got rekt haha. Those were fun times playing Anakin.