criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Focused Feedback: User Interface

Prev1345
F8RGE
955 posts EA Community Manager
There has been increased talk surrounding the User Interface (UI) recently so we thought now would be a good time to do a dedicated Focused Feedback thread on it.

It's something we've been talking about internally but we would also like to hear what you think.
  • What do you like about the UI?
  • What don't you like about the UI?
  • What UI options would you like to see added?
  • Are there any pain points you experience with the UI?
  • Anything else about the UI you'd like to share?

Be sure to let us know what you have on your mind. We're listening and eagerly awaiting your feedback.

As always, these threads are highly beneficial for us and we thank you for your sharing your thoughts.

Replies

• change the spawn screen and the menu background and I’ll be good
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    There has been increased talk surrounding the User Interface (UI) recently so we thought now would be a good time to do a dedicated Focused Feedback thread on it.

It's something we've been talking about internally but we would also like to hear what you think.
    • What do you like about the UI?
    • What don't you like about the UI?
    • What UI options would you like to see added?
    • Are there any pain points you experience with the UI?
    • Anything else about the UI you'd like to share?

Be sure to let us know what you have on your mind. We're listening and eagerly awaiting your feedback.

As always, these threads are highly beneficial for us and we thank you for your sharing your thoughts.

I ask you to do:

- make it possible to change the type, color and thickness of the sight;

- add the ability to change the viewing angle and scope settings (type, color and thickness) for fighters (all flying equipment);

- change the type of cameras in flying soldiers, the view is not very convenient (the soldier covers the floor of the screen);

- remove or add the ability to move the status bar of your killings to the upper right corner;
    or
    - remove the killings of rivals and allies (they give absolutely nothing) and move your statistics to the right corner;

- change the level of the camera on the Droid's tank (when aiming, it shifts the sight above normal - average ability). Because of what killings close the gun’s scope;

- give the opportunity to remove effects such as: the name of the player during the kill (he is almost in the center of the screen), the completed stage (a bright icon overlapping the review), the shield of the commando or hero / villain (the icon is distracting);

- enable transparent icons to “destroy”, since they overlap the floor of the screen and the enemies behind them, give the opportunity to control transparency;

- add a large map (both on the "M" button and the mini-map) as in SW: BF2 2005 or CSGO (As an example);
  • The only complaint I have, is that on re/spawn you get the objective/s shown for too long on top of the screen INSTEAD of faster showing me WHERE they are. I need to watch at the mini map, but that is a bit unrealiable, when you don't know the map all too well.

Beside that very good job!
  • I don’t personally have any issue with the UI, but some other games have an option to tune everything off. Maybe press a certain button and everything BUT your health bar can be off the screen. Just a thought.
  • - the aiming reticule isn't clearly visible some times and I'm not using the white one because it's simply painful to see.
    - some elements should be optional, for i instance damage reduction( I like it but many don't)
    - size and transparency sliders
    - reticule customization for starfighters
  • A field of view slider for consoles would be incredible. I mostly play in 3rd person and the default (on consoles only) positioning of the characters are quite close to the screen...would be nice to have that option to get a full visual on your character instead of the "waist up" close to the screen.

PC players have this option for both of EAs Battlefronts and I'm curious why the consoles never got the option.
  • Replace the Menu and Spawn screen with more cinematic backgrounds.
  • not really ui related but a stats page would be cool
    ?mrpood likes this?
  • It be really good change different colours in ui. Like example can make squad colours green. Crosshair blue. Cooldown ability colours yellow. Then rather set all the same colour mix it up.
    63pjujouc7co.png
    "if You Only Knew The Power Of The Dark Side"~Darth Vader.
  • The menu UI is fine the way it is. I would like a nicer background in the menus though.

I want the ability to change the size and color on just about everything in the ingame UI.

Also on consoles I want the ability to change how far the camera sits from the player in 3rd person just like on PC.

This is a biggie for me. Have the option to take away that giant red shield when I deal damage to someone with damage reduction.

I also want a Era selector in the menu. I think this was alreadt mentioned by you guys but just making sure.

Change the pictures of the different modes in the menu. I always get the same CS picture, The same HvV picture and Leias Boushh skin

Thats all. Hope to see some good changes soon!
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

1gwwbvgwxm1r.gif
  • I would like to be able to adjust the opacity of the radar. I find that it easily gets washed out so that I can't see the dots. I think a constant black background would be better for me.
  • Oh by the way this is really big for a lot of us. Add Star Card loadouts that we can just click for our characters as soon as we get into the game
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

1gwwbvgwxm1r.gif
  • Lyc4n
    1496 posts Member
    edited October 10
    Alot of my points have been said. I think the ai is alright as it is i dont have big issues but here would be a few improvements:

Take a complete overhaul at the first person for troopers and make them aim down sights instead of crosshairs and not only on scoped guns

Type of Crosshairs to be selected for each seperate gun as well as colour

An option for each aspect of the ui to be turned off

Could move the kills and assists to be just ontop of health bar

Level up i think makes sense to be big and it doesn't appear often enough to get in the way, maybe have it so you can turn it off though

The damage reduction to only appear once on middle on screen and then by the nametag of opponent

I would also like a different background to the game and a thumbnail to show how its different

A background in games to show the specific planet would be nice when choosing class

On cs, for spawning, having the command posts on a live map to get a better perspective of where they all are rather than having to remember where each command post is.

Having multiple load outs for the same class

Being able to toggle favourites for skins so changing them between maps is not very difficult in game and can be done quickly.
    Post edited by Lyc4n on
  • Hi, @F8RGE

Although UI seems doesn’t seem like a big deal to many people, it really is insanely important.
    New and revamped UI features can make the game feel fresh and exciting, so I’d like to voice a few of my ideas.

1) Make the UI less in your face. This is in regards to things like level up messages. At the moment it can obscure your vision which in some cases cost you your life.

2) Rework the damage reduction UI. Since there is an insane amount of damage reduction in this game, a massive red shield is not the answer - it just looks comical and strange. Please find a way to change this, perhaps reduce the size of the shield and relocate it to a different part of the screen.

3) This is more of a question then a suggestion, but are crosshairs a part of UI. If they are then I would suggest reducing the size of the crosshairs for a few weapons very slightly, for example the heavy weapons. Also crosshairs colour and customisation would be neat, but not if it is at the expense of more important things (like Leia buffs).

4) Give is the option to disable everything except the crosshairs. This is for immersion reasons, since this game is so beautiful and should be experienced in a less cluttered way.

5) Generally declutter the screen. Again, please just find a way to make everything less ‘in your face’ even kills and assists can be way to prominent. The way kill text worked in the beta and the 2015 game was perfect.

Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback. Please continue to provide more opportunities like this and engage with people on the forum. It really means a lot to be heard.

This basically covers it.
    It would also be nice to be able to rotate the camera after boarding the ships in CS while waiting for the timer to run down.
  • We want nightime Felucia
  • I'm okay with most of the UI, except those pesky bars in the upper right corner that say "slow internet connection." My hard-line, GigaBit connection isn't slow, it's the servers. Bursting to the brim with lag. If you could change the description to be "We're not paying more for better servers, deal with it" I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • A field of view slider for consoles would be incredible. I mostly play in 3rd person and the default (on consoles only) positioning of the characters are quite close to the screen...would be nice to have that option to get a full visual on your character instead of the "waist up" close to the screen.

PC players have this option for both of EAs Battlefronts and I'm curious why the consoles never got the option.

This is one of the biggest issues for me on console, imo the zoom is to close for 3rd person. When I’m playing pc and swap to ps4 is feels awkward and slow. A fov slider was in the base game before the 1st update on ps4 and Xbox. Imo we need a fov slider and private matches before other things right now. Also a map selector is another thing that should be a priority at this time in the game. This will actually improve gameplay where cosmetics is just more fluff imo.
  • Please add the scoreboard to Instant Action, like it is for Arcade, and put up a summary for the end of both like we have for the online modes.
    And place default spawn all the way to the left for all modes.
  • Billkwando
    2018 posts Member
    edited October 10
    I'd like to see the full map name listed when you queue up (at the top, where you can click to cancel before the map loads up), since there are multiple versions for some planets (in case you don't want to play a particular map). Example: "Tatooine - Jabba's Palace"
    Post edited by Billkwando on
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
    • Option to disable the damage reduction UI (the shield pop-up) and it's 'ding' sound
    • The ability to disable 'pop-up'-style notifications (level-up, the huge icons of objectives upon spawning, kill announcements, 'you can spawn as X' announcements upon death)
    • A choice of main menu backgrounds that either don't feature characters (lightsaber hums are annoying), possibly as something credits can be spent to unlock? I'd much rather see a separatist command bridge, a view from space of Tatooine, or a rebel hangar than the same dimly-lit cargo hold with a single character.
    • Separate volume sliders for music, voice, SFX, and announcers; particularly because the HvV announcer is very immersion-breaking and his lines loop a lot
    • Ability to disable player/AI names floating over characters' heads (in all game modes).
    • Ideally, the ability to enable or disable all of the in-game elements, but I'd be very happy with just the above.

Great idea for a focused feedback, BTW!
  • I am fine with the current UI system in the game. However, I strongly recommend adding a tracker to the screen so that its easy for the player to know how many stacks they have accumulated with certain star cards. Chewie's "Impervious, Emperor's "Show No Mercy", Lando's "Buckle Up, Baby", Luke's "Intensify", Maul's "Savage", Finn's "In Charge" and "No More Running", Phasma's "Blaster Inspection", "All For Myself", "Come Closer", and "There's No Escape", Grievous' "Flesh is Weak", Obi-Wan's "Safeguard", Dooku's "Initiative", and Anakin's "Steamroll" all work by building up over time. It would be very helpful to have a counter on the screen so that a player would know they currently have X amount of damage reduction from the card, or X amount of damage currently. It's very hard for a player to keep count of how much damage they might have dealt to enemy heroes or how many shots they've blocked or when Dooku is prepared to deal a critical strike. I think it would also be helpful if instead of the shield icon that's displayed, the player could be shown the exact damage reduction values they currently have because there are many ways a player can achieve damage reduction, so knowing the exact values would better help them adjust their play style during it. Also, I think all hero abilities should show how many enemies would be affected by it. Like how Anakin's Retribution shows the number of targets it would hit, the same number indicator should be applied to pushes, pulls, AoE abilities, Rushes and Spin Attacks, Big Deal and Undercover Team, and the other abilities that have a set path, this wouldn't include Dash Strike or Defensive Rush since those paths can be changed willingly. This would be incredibly helpful for heroes who have star cards that require a set number of enemies to hit before it will correctly activate. This would also help the player know the extent of their abilities' range, and encourage them to wait for groups of enemies rather than a sole individual. I also think it would be good if a dotted circle outline could be shown when character's equip certain star cards, like Leia's Stay Together, so they can know how close they need to be for the card to work, and to have an indicator to know that they have x amount of people in it. All in all the UI needs to incorporate the various star cards into it so that it can best help players understand how their cards are working, and what they need to do to properly activate them.
  • OcDoc
    2021 posts Member
    I am good with it the way it is but if you can fairly simply have an effective way that minimizes things and makes the game more immersive I am certainly cool with it.

I would just recommend not doing anything that makes it harder on noobs. New players may get complained about on boards like this from time to time but all of us realize they help keep the game alive.
  • sukebe7 wrote: »
    osu6hf77mj9y.jpg

I like this. Especially the part where extraction has it's own tile again.
  • Thanks for asking. I want more Star Wars love. Add clips from the movies to make it feel authentic. Since people cringe when they see farmboy Luke's facial features, myself included, why not replace it with a video clip of Luke from the movies? If pinball can do it, so can you! I believe in ya.
    "Rise."
  • Please change the Stamina Bar, it's long overdue! Either give us the ability to choose if we want the Stamina Wheel or the Stamina Bar, or at least put the Stamina Bar in the same place as the Overheat Bar from blasters, for easier checking.

Since you changed the stamina UI display I relied more on my mental timings to assess if I still have stamina then on checking the bar in the middle of a fight. The stamina wheel was intrusive, but would always allow me to gauge my stamina correctly and immediately. The bar is so well hidden, that not only it doesn't disrupt gameplay like the wheel did, but it's also too hidden to be assessed quickly while in the midst of a fight.
    Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • And please let us choose the character displayed in the home screen.
  • Hi, @F8RGE

Although UI seems doesn’t seem like a big deal to many people, it really is insanely important.
    New and revamped UI features can make the game feel fresh and exciting, so I’d like to voice a few of my ideas.

1) Make the UI less in your face. This is in regards to things like level up messages. At the moment it can obscure your vision which in some cases cost you your life.

2) Rework the damage reduction UI. Since there is an insane amount of damage reduction in this game, a massive red shield is not the answer - it just looks comical and strange. Please find a way to change this, perhaps reduce the size of the shield and relocate it to a different part of the screen.

3) This is more of a question then a suggestion, but are crosshairs a part of UI. If they are then I would suggest reducing the size of the crosshairs for a few weapons very slightly, for example the heavy weapons. Also crosshairs colour and customisation would be neat, but not if it is at the expense of more important things (like Leia buffs).

4) Give is the option to disable everything except the crosshairs. This is for immersion reasons, since this game is so beautiful and should be experienced in a less cluttered way.

5) Generally declutter the screen. Again, please just find a way to make everything less ‘in your face’ even kills and assists can be way to prominent. The way kill text worked in the beta and the 2015 game was perfect.

Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback. Please continue to provide more opportunities like this and engage with people on the forum. It really means a lot to be heard.

You deserve +100 Agree for these suggestions.

1) Yes +100000. I can't stress it enough how annoying it is seeing your Rank up flash in the middle of your screen with loud audio while you're engaged in combat with another player. The bight orange hue is very distracting to anyone. And yes, it can lead to your death. I honestly don't think we really need something this distracting to let players know (Big Flash of Orange hue and loud audio) "Yoohoo!! Hey!! Congratz, you just ranked up to 798!! Way to go!!" At this point, it's numb to the players that they've ranked up that high. I'd say maybe as max at the Star Cards go would be sufficient enough.

2). The ping sound and flash of the red shield is pretty much inline with the Rank up issue. We get it, it's to indicate the player is under immunity to damage, maybe change the hit marker color to another color would be a indication. Or allow customization of hit markers like in BFV. Headshots, body shots, shield damage and player kill. I think this would benefit removing distracting flashes around the player's frame to where every player can have some sort of their own visual. Also take in consideration those players who are also color blind don't see red the same as everyone else. This is why I really love the BFV color customization. I myself are not color blind, just adding this suggestion in for those who are.

3). I can agree on the size of the Heavy's crosshairs. The circle's could be reduced in diameter. Along the lines of the crosshairs, I've noticed that the Assaults CR-2 and Heavies TL-50 does not have a "dot" in the center of the crosshair reticle only when you zoom in with MOUSE 2 it will show for the CR-2 only but not the TL-50, where as other class weapons, the dot is present in the middle of the screen.

For my own UI suggestions:

1) Main Menu Audio: Allow main menu customization where we can choose and set the Hero hologram weather it be a Lightsaber Hero or Blaster Hero. I can't stress it enough how annoying it is hearing the constant buzzing of the Lightsaber model on the main menu. I've also written a post about this which I will include again since I did not get much feedback.

Is it possible to enable a mouse scroll over to the hero featured on the Main Menu screen to mute sound on/off for the buzzing Lightsaber audio? Or perhaps a option under Audio to enable/disable Main Menu screen audio?

It's very irritating when customizing my Trooper characters Star Cards, weapons or appearance or "Browse while Searching" for lobby while the Lightsaber audio is constantly buzzing in my headphones. No matter how low my preset audio is on my headphone or utilize the audio slider, the constant buzzing is pretty annoying. Going into Controls > Audio > Master Volume and changing it to subdue the "buzzing" is ideal, however, maybe a option to mute Main Menu audio would be ideal as well so it does not effect overall Master Volume? This would alleviate players reducing volume while customizing, waiting for a lobby or creating a party with friends, then when in game, increase the volume when playing the game.

Main Menu > Play > Multiplayer > Assault > Galactic Assault > "Searching for Galactic Assault"...and you will just listen to constant Lightsaber buzzing without the Hero even being present on the game mode screen. You can't get away from it. And also depends how long you're searching a lobby for. Sometimes it's within seconds or sometimes it may take 1-2 min just to get into a lobby, usually you'll end up in a empty lobby then return back to Main Menu to search for a lobby again and still endure the Lightsaber buzzing while you wait all over again.

2). Star Card Pre-sets: There is abundant space below Hero Star Cards where it would be ideal to have three (3) Star Card Pre-Sets where we can just select Star Cards, save as a Pre-Set name (Edit button). This would alleviate to thinking about which star cards you have already equipped before jumping into a fight. I myself am sometimes configuring star cards between HvV/GA/CS/SA where as the Pre-Set would indicate a check mark which set you have equipped. Same for Troopers. I know there isn't much space for them since their main star card menu space is mainly is taken up. I would suggest expanding the Star Card equipped box to the right of the main star card menu, and enable a selection below the three (3) equipped star cards and customize three (3) pre-sets as well.

3). DICE should Invest in collaboration with SWBF2 Nexus Mod developers. Can't stress this enough. These people who develop these mods are brining more life to SWBF2 customization and visuals. ALOT of player are using them since it vastly expands the visual and customization to the game. From Lightsaber colors to enhanced UI colors and patterns, it just makes the game 100x better. Who doesn't like seeing a Pink Darth Vader walking around! Or customized colored "cannon" Lightsaber colors and Hero's. Obviously, these can only be viewed by the player utilizing the mods, players in game cannot see them as you do. These people who develop these mods deserve to be working with DICE imo.

Thanks!!
    PC Specs: i7-9600k / RTX 2060 6G / GIGABYTE Z390 UD MOBO / EVGA 650BQ 650w PSU / MSI Oculux 24" G-SYNC Monitor / Corsair Vengeance 16G DDR4 RAM / 500G SATA III SSD / Logitech G502 Mouse / Logitech G710+ Keyboard / Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 Headset / Windows 10 Home.
  • Blast and strike/extraction should change places in the menu.

Blast should be an assault; and strike/extraction should be an operation?
  • Oh finally.
    Thank you.

I'd like to see.
    - All ingame UI elements to be optional for separate activation/deactivation.
    - Sliders for size and translucency for:
    - Elimination notification
    - Objective icon
    - Friendly / enemy icons
    - Mission timer / reinforcement counter
    - Healthbar
    - Starcards / ability icons
    - Internet Connection bars
    - Reticle and overheat bar

Again all of the above should be optional for separate deactivation and size / translucency adjustments.

A more appealing style for some of these elements (especially overheat bar) would be nice aswell.

Thanks.

With that said, I know PC has a few of those features but its important for consoles as well!
  • I like UI and menus as they are, maybe they are better than ever before. Only problem is new stamina system, make attack animations slower and blocking also should be slower without stamina, but don't stop the action completely, there is no reload in sword fighting, you can regain stamina with slower movement in real life. There would not be so much need for stamina bar if you could see from slower animation if stamina is depleted or not.

And don't remove heroes from menus, I like them.
  • hosco33
    344 posts Member
    edited October 10
    I like the UI, please make optional every change you do.

I just don't see sabers' stamina bars but I should get used to (maybe being able to change its colors). Grevious and Vader run out of stamina pretty fast and I don't realize until they just freeze
  • Revert back to pre-alpha UI as it was much cleaner and more condensed. I also don't think it is necessary to have your squad right next to mini-map cause I don't think anyone looks at that, but you should put who is in your squad on the scoreboard
  • There needs to be a UI element that shows a constant updating list of Extraction maps in this game. That shouldn’t be too hard seeing the number would never change from ‘2’.
    PSN: this_old_mouse
  • Change it for the previous game's interface. This one is not worth the effort
  • Make the background for when you open the game instead of a hero or reinforcement, a capital ship versus capital ship space battle from all eras instead.
  • Map selection like in SWBF 1 would be very appreciated!
  • -More color options for target reticles. Most maps the colors available blend right into the background or make it customizable. It's been an issue for me since day one as nothing stands out to help me even with colorblind modes (which I am not).

-Separate sensitivity sliders for heros and soliders. I have to choose between playing one or the other unless I want to go back and forth changing sensitivities all the time on console or play with a serious handicap. PC is no issue because of pro-mouse settings.

-Not sure if this is part of UI, but when I press the buttons on the controller and I see them get toggled in game I would like to actually see the ability work without the need for a button smashing to make it work. Same goes for dash/dodges.
  • I quite like the UI at the moment but there are a few changes that could be made.
    Get rid of the crates menu. It’s useless.
    Change the score of 0 when you have reached level 50
    I would quite like the spawn screen to reflect what map we are on.
    Also proper loading screens for the venator and separatist dreadnought for HvV would be useful.
    Hero introductions were good in 2015- we should have them here
    Maybe even an option to turn back on holograms like at launch. Unpopular opinion I know but I liked them. This should be an option though not mandatory.
    Maybe a different screen when we first load up the game?
    Also when daily challenges are completed they should properly pop up in game like milestones. I think this was meant to be I’m but I haven’t seen it for a few months.
  • I'd also like to see more consistency in the scanning abilities.

Character silhouettes received from Scan dart should either look more like a stylized heat signature graphic, like the ones from the Infiltrator's Scan Pulse or just be target markers like the ones received from other abilities.
    Concussion, shock and flash grenade shouldn't give any outlines at all.

Scout binoculars in this context should be much easier and reliable to handle and allow manual selection of multiple markers to be set before the ability goes into cooldown.

The dot in the center of rifle and pistol crosshairs should be a benefit of scoping in / ADS and shouldn't be there when hipfiring.