criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Yoda's Jedi Mentor Card is the Key to Balance

DiamondxStyles
889 posts Member
edited October 10
If Jedi Mentor were to solely apply to Lightsaber strikes, an inverse of Maul's Lightsaber Defense, you could effectively nerf him against blasters as much as necessary while making him a tanky Hero menace against sabers.

Out of expedience, I always use 130 as the base damage for examples since 3 out of 5 characters on both sides have 130 damage when not carded or using abilities.

Without Jedi Mentor and no buff:
130 x 6 = 780

Regen:
130 x 2 = 260

With current Jedi Mentor

JEDI MENTOR 8%:
  • 130 x .08 = 10.4 ~~ 130 - 10.4 = 119.6
  • 119.6 x 6 = 717.6 ~~ 119.6 x 7 = 837.2
  • 119.6 x 8 = 956.8 ~~ 119.6 x 9 = 1076.4

Assessment:
Never really altered much w/o Feel the Force, and since it's nerf, that weakened him from being anything other than an HvV team buff. Previously, when stacked with Feel the Force, it's apparent that his TTK and trade potential changed by 1 swing, 956.8 was just under his 960 maximum.

A 700 Health Yoda with: 12% damage reduction against lightsabers

JEDI MENTOR 12%:
  • 130 x .12 = 15.6 ~~ 130 - 15.6 = 114.4
  • 114.4 x 6 = 686.4 ~~ 114.4 x 7 = 800.8
  • 114.4 x 8 = 915.2 ~~ 114.4 x 9 = 1029.6

Assessment:
Becomes an actually decent card after the Felucia update which made Yoda pathetic. Since this damage reduction wouldn't affect Troopers, or Blaster Villains, he could be just as killable to them, even with a 150 Presence buff, and still be as good as he was against Sabers, which he needs a lot.

His swing is fairly slow, his dash is now horrendous, his Presence exposes him now, his Unleash has terrible range - is buggy - and his recover speed from this animation stops him from even pulling off a punish most times. Meanwhile the enemy can just stand up and block or dash, and with an 85 dash he isn't keeping any good player's health down

If they were to go a step further; A 700 Health Yoda with: 16% damage reduction against lightsabers (Pretty sure Maul's is the same amount but flipped to apply to blasters):

JEDI MENTOR 16%:
  • 130 x .16 = 20.8 // 130 - 20.8 = 109.2
  • 109.2 x 6 = 655.2 ~~ 109.2 x 7 = 764.4
  • 109.2 x 8 = 873.6 ~~ 109.2 x 9 = 982.8

Assessment:
His old TTK when Presence buffed and with both Feel the Force and Jedi Mentor 8% was 9 hits in sheer spam; The same as a Vader in Focused Rage with his tank cards. This also lets Yoda keep his max health when getting hit twice from a 130 dmg character: at 218 damage vs 260

Even with 16%, he obviously still wouldn't win out in a direct spam contest with a Dooku, Grievous, or Vader, but this actually makes him great again, while not affecting blasters whatsoever. Hitbox means nothing to sabers that can magnetically lock onto Yoda with their attacks even through his dash or through his dash attacks.

My suggestion is to change this to 12% (16% would return him to a decent state), but to buff his Dash attack damage and presence again, in 'Yoda Changes'. This Topic was made simply to highlight the full extent of what can be done with JEDI MENTOR in terms of balance in 'Blaster vs Saber' mechanics, not to talk about what kind of particular changes I support - that lies in 'Yoda Changes'.

16% would be great if keeping Presence nerfed to 150. (This helps Blasters, but keeps him at the right level against Lightsabers, because Presence is regular health while JEDI MENTOR would be Lightsaber damage resistance only, thereby retaining the 700(910 Pbuffed) Yoda health the same

He can be nerfed harshly against the former or the latter depending on the state of this card if it were to be changed, and however it were to be changed, while disregarding Presence entirely.

I am Darth Vader, he said within himself.

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

He had become, finally, what they had all called him:

The Hero With No Fear.

Replies

• Raices
    1379 posts Member
    Bump.
  • Short terms:

OP against Blasters Pre Felucia (Traditional Yoda):
    8% Jedi Mentor (All dmg reduction) ~ 200 Presence ~ 130 Dash damage

Alternative (Middle ground):
    12% Jedi Mentor (Sabers only) ~ 200 Presence ~ 120 Dash damage

Ideal state: (Weakens his Presence for blasters, but keeps his original health against sabers)
    16% Jedi Mentor (Sabers only) ~ 150 Presence ~ 120 Dash damage

Ideal imo

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

The Hero With No Fear.

• Glad to see you at it again with facts and logic. Giving you a fist-bump.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Short terms:

Ideal state: (Weakens his Presence for blasters, but keeps his original health against sabers)

Ideal imo

I like this alot. I'd say Middle ground is the best one. 16% reduction against sabers may be little too much. I'd be fine with presence giving 150 either way. Good post👍
  • JMaster wrote: »
    Glad to see you at it again with facts and logic. Giving you a fist-bump.
    Short terms:

Ideal imo

I like this alot. I'd say Middle ground is the best one. 16% reduction against sabers may be little too much. I'd be fine with presence giving 150 either way. Good post👍

Thanks and thanks. To Lawnmower, keep in mind that 16% returns him to his traditional state, and I recommended other nerfs to compensate, such as his block stamina from 10 to 8, deflection from 46 to 16 (giving him the least defense) etc.

Also remember that if necessary, his regen could be brought down to 200, as he takes 218 damage from two hits of a 130 damage character, so that he takes max health damage from two hits.

Giving him 16%, as long as his swing speed remained slow, would only return him to around HvV Vader level in terms of health and damage (something the LS somewhat lacks)

16% saber defense is a befitting solution in my opinion, in that he fullfils the role of "Tank" in HvV, while blaster fire remains just as potent against Yoda in GA, an area where his hitbox matters.

But as you said, 12% works too, but imo he will need different balancing

The Hero With No Fear.

• Different balancing like the stuff you recommended: A swing speed increase.

Personally I just like going the other route and returning him to traditional Yoda (Vader-esque Tanky Yoda) and keeping his slower swing speed for HvV

Nevertheless Jedi Mentor really is the key to all balancing problems with a small character like Yoda

The Hero With No Fear.