criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Leave triple xp on or just give noobs all purple cards

2Next

Replies

• To summarize the arguments against keeping the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall:
    • It creates an unlevel playing field (maxed out players vs. cannon fodder)
    • The unlevel playing field turns away players who would otherwise join the community (many are unwilling or unable to invest the time to unlock the items needed to level the playing field)
    • When players leave the community (or refuse to join), it gets smaller, and it becomes even more difficult to find a game
    • The difficulty finding a game, causes more people to leave the community (results in a negative feedback loop that exacerbates the difficulty of finding a game)
    • It's just not fun (for a significantly large segment of potential players)

Therefore, using these arguments, one can make a solid case that the decision to lock the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall is impeding the addition of new players to the Star Wars Battlefront 2 community, as well as accelerating the abandonment of existing players from the community. Each of us can decide for ourselves whether we believe that's a desirable outcome.

This game is 2 years old. THAT is what impedes the addition of new players, not everything you listed. Even at the cheap price it's apparently at now, people just aren't willing to play 2 year old shooter games. Unlocking everything doesn't change the very simple fact that people will inevitably gravitate away from this game. Only the most the dedicated die-hards who were there from Day 1 are likely to be the ones still playing or who come back to play this game with each new update, but even some of them will play for a few days then drop out again and the casuals will do the same.
    This is just how these games are. Unless you're a MTX machine like Fortnite, then you're inevitably going to face a decline and that can't be stopped.

Yeah, you're wrong.

The greater factor that discourages people from joining the community is because the playing field is grotesquely unlevel for new players. People tend to want to play a fair game, where the victor is the one with the better strategy, skill and knowledge. People do not tend to want to play an unfair game where they have to use the weakest items, and are there simply as cannon fodder for the perverse pleasure of being blown to bits by players with the best items.

That is not fun for the majority of new players, and there's no amount of spin that will persuade most reasonable people that it is.

Very true. I've convinced many gamers to come try it and it's just too much.
  • JackSpanky
    182 posts Member
    edited October 17
    JackSpanky wrote: »
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    If you want to disagree with someone that's fine, but keep it civil and leave out this "fan lackey" stuff, it's not appropriate, it's rude and it's really dismissive of another persons opinion.

It also happens to strike at the heart of the matter, but I expected little else from an EA moderator on this subject. Clearly no conflict of interest at work here.

I would've happily rewritten the post if you yourself had done what a community leader should do and led by example with a firm-but-courteous request to keep it civil and sent me the text in a PM or something, but since I don't save or memorize my own posts like some kind of weirdo, your complete obliteration of my content feels pretty inappropriate, rude and dismissive of my opinion.
    Going after a mod, bad idea.
    EA_Tom wrote: »
    Keep in mind that discussing moderation is against our rules.
    [stupid meme was here]

If a mod bans me from this charming place for having the audacity to discuss (not "go after") a decision I am firmly convinced was made in both bad faith and poor form, I assure you, it will have been for the best.
    To summarize the arguments against keeping the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall:
    • It creates an unlevel playing field (maxed out players vs. cannon fodder)
    • The unlevel playing field turns away players who would otherwise join the community (many are unwilling or unable to invest the time to unlock the items needed to level the playing field)
    • When players leave the community (or refuse to join), it gets smaller, and it becomes even more difficult to find a game
    • The difficulty finding a game, causes more people to leave the community (results in a negative feedback loop that exacerbates the difficulty of finding a game)
    • It's just not fun (for a significantly large segment of potential players)

Therefore, using these arguments, one can make a solid case that the decision to lock the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall is impeding the addition of new players to the Star Wars Battlefront 2 community, as well as accelerating the abandonment of existing players from the community. Each of us can decide for ourselves whether we believe that's a desirable outcome.

This game is 2 years old. THAT is what impedes the addition of new players, not everything you listed. Even at the cheap price it's apparently at now, people just aren't willing to play 2 year old shooter games. Unlocking everything doesn't change the very simple fact that people will inevitably gravitate away from this game. Only the most the dedicated die-hards who were there from Day 1 are likely to be the ones still playing or who come back to play this game with each new update, but even some of them will play for a few days then drop out again and the casuals will do the same.
    This is just how these games are. Unless you're a MTX machine like Fortnite, then you're inevitably going to face a decline and that can't be stopped.

Yeah, you're wrong.

The greater factor that discourages people from joining the community is because the playing field is grotesquely unlevel for new players. People tend to want to play a fair game, where the victor is the one with the better strategy, skill and knowledge. People do not tend to want to play an unfair game where they have to use the weakest items, and are there simply as cannon fodder for the perverse pleasure of being blown to bits by players with the best items.

That is not fun for the majority of new players, and there's no amount of spin that will persuade most reasonable people that it is.

Very true. I've convinced many gamers to come try it and it's just too much.

Yes, and while a sufficiently skilled player could certainly make do without the advantages cards give, A) then why even have cards if this is supposed to be some lofty realm of a pure test of skill, and B) most veterans have had all-purple cards for so long they can hardly remember what it was like to be on the bottom, facing people like themselves with abilities greatly beyond their own. In some cases, straight up unavailable to them. It's a pretty damn big hill to ask someone first-day new to the game to climb.