criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Parrying for lightsaber combat?

Imo the lightsaber combat still needs more too it. Most all melee weapon based games have a parry/riposte system in place and is an essential combat mechanic. I think adding a form of parrying to this game could really make the lightsaber combat feel less clunky and messy as it is atm. Aswell as possibly creating the need to remove the lunge mechanic forcing lightsaber combat to be idk more direct, challenging, cinematic?

Love to hear your thoughts on this👍

Replies

• OcDoc
    1984 posts Member
    I think the stagger system was more “clunky” and looked dumb.

I think a saber combat system like you see in the new Star Wars game coming out is slow and best for single player.

In some ways, the stamina system is a system that allows for a parry. But it is possible that adding a stagger after 3 or 4 consecutively blocked saber attacks would allow for a more conventional parry without the overly silly appearance of being knocked backwards after every blocked attack.
  • I half get what you mean but I suggest a parry that is more animation based like in dark souls or for honour. It would require tight timing of the parrying animation which would then leave the opponent vulnerable for either an animation punish attack or allow a swing or two in for chip damage
  • OcDoc
    1984 posts Member
    Mcnally98 wrote: »
    I half get what you mean but I suggest a parry that is more animation based like in dark souls or for honour. It would require tight timing of the parrying animation which would then leave the opponent vulnerable for either an animation punish attack or allow a swing or two in for chip damage

Shame others aren’t chiming in. It seems like everyone just sticks to the general discussion part of the board and this is in the gameplay discussion section where it belongs so I am sorry about that.

I think combat systems like you are mentioning might be a little too slow for this game. The animations alone could end up being problematic. Just my 2 cents and not trying to suggest I am an authority on the topic. Just wanted to offer some feedback of my own personal opinion.

• OcDoc wrote: »
    Mcnally98 wrote: »
    I half get what you mean but I suggest a parry that is more animation based like in dark souls or for honour. It would require tight timing of the parrying animation which would then leave the opponent vulnerable for either an animation punish attack or allow a swing or two in for chip damage

Shame others aren’t chiming in. It seems like everyone just sticks to the general discussion part of the board and this is in the gameplay discussion section where it belongs so I am sorry about that.

I think combat systems like you are mentioning might be a little too slow for this game. The animations alone could end up being problematic. Just my 2 cents and not trying to suggest I am an authority on the topic. Just wanted to offer some feedback of my own personal opinion.

Ino I thought this would become an interesting topic to discuss XD no worries tho :) And thanks man for even acknowleging my thoughts here
    😆👍

I do see your side of things there hvv combat is undoubtedly faster paced than games like souls and 4 honor but not as methodical. But just feel like lightsaber combat needs more too it, the meta for winning lightsaber fights involves alot of dodging and spinning round like crazy to always be behind the enemy, and attacking from the front attempting to exhaust the enemies stamina is futile.

Lightsaber combat I think needs counter play mechanics I believe this would add alot to the lsbr combat currently.

• Not going to lie, I definitely want something else other than the current system
  • Every saber character needs an attack that can break and go through block. And the stamina should deplete rapidly during blocking and dodging. There must be a way to get away from the block and dodge behind the enemy to attack-boringness.

Blocking is almost never seen in the movies! Not dodging either. Why is it here?
  • OcDoc
    1984 posts Member
    I had mentioned an idea in here above and the more think about it the more I like it.

What about the addition of a stagger after 3 or 4 consecutively blocked saber strikes?

The coding is already there, so it should be easy to implement. It wouldn’t throw off the fluidity of the current system much because it isn’t with EVERY blocked strike. And it definitely returns a parry mechanic that helps counter and reduce the effectiveness of spammed saber swings.