criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Triple XP Event

CT Lite - Nov 8 [Capital Supremacy]

F8RGE
914 posts EA Community Manager
edited November 8
We've been talking about Capital Supremacy a lot lately. In fact you might have seen some changes that we made last week, where we lowered the health of the final objectives down from 5,000 to 3,000.

Our goal for Capital Supremacy is to make the games last much shorter in time. We've all been there, you've joined a game and in some rare cases you could still be playing 2+ hours later. This does happen very, very rarely but that's not what we want from the mode.

In all cases when you load up Star Wars Battlefront II you should be able to think "I have xx amount of time to play, that means I'll go for xx mode".

So we've been looking at ways in which we can make games of Capital Supremacy not only shorter but shorter on a regular basis.

We've got some changes about to go live that aim to do that:
  • Reduced Hp of final objectives (2000 was 3000)
  • Increased overtime (10 was 5)
  • Increased base time (360 was 300)
  • Increased bonus time (180 was 120)
  • Reduced boarding time (30 was 45)

These changes will take time to propagate throughout our servers and won't impact games of Capital Supremacy that are already in process. Once you've played a few rounds, please do let us know how it goes.

Replies

• I'm worried this will make rounds too short and fast paced
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    I'm worried this will make rounds too short and fast paced

We're going to be watching the data on this. Right now the average length of a round is still a bit too high. If we see it drops below where we want it to be we will make further adjustments.

Awesome, i myself have had a 2 hour round and while it was incredibly tiring I can say I have never felt more patriotic to the republic when we won
  • You can't please everyone, but 2 hours is way too long.

A video should not become boring.
  • Good Stuff.. I will try it out later.

I like the thinking behind there being average times for modes.

eg I know a round of GA or SA will take me around 15 mins.

HvV Can be anything from 2 minutes to 15 minutes depending on team

CS right now for me is usually between 30-60 minutes.. sometimes longer. Il play a couple of matches later and see what happens
  • Chico
    504 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »

We're going to be watching the data on this. Right now the average length of a round is still a bit too high. If we see it drops below where we want it to be we will make further adjustments.

Can you share with us how long you want games to last? I really don't have time to play CS as it currently is too long for me. I did enjoy it last time I played but I had to quit mid-match. Would be good to understand so I know whether to try again.
  • Good.
  • Please just raise the amount of credits if the games go on for too long. I wouldn’t care so much about about the match length if I was getting over 1,000 credits
  • Lyc4n
    1464 posts Member
    Really liking these ct lite threads thanks
    We've been talking about Capital Supremacy a lot lately. In fact you might have seen some changes that we made last week, where we lowered the health of the final objectives down from 5,000 to 3,000.

Our goal for Capital Supremacy is to make the games last much shorter in time. We've all been there, you've joined a game and in some rare cases you could still be playing 2+ hours later. This does happen very, very rarely but that's not what we want from the mode.

In all cases when you load up Star Wars Battlefront II you should be able to think "I have xx amount of time to play, that means I'll go for xx mode".

So we've been looking at ways in which we can make games of Capital Supremacy not only shorter but shorter on a regular basis.

We've got some changes about to go live that aim to do that:
    • Reduced Hp of final objectives (2000 was 3000)
    • Increased overtime (10 was 5)
    • Increased base time (360 was 300)
    • Increased bonus time (180 was 120)
    • Reduced boarding time (30 was 45)

These changes will take time to propagate throughout our servers and won't impact games of Capital Supremacy that are already in process. Once you've played a few rounds, please do let us know how it goes.

I suppose that will work. Though I do wonder why the original CS ship strategy was changed when maybe they just could have had those timers tweaked a bit every week till overall time was about what they wanted?

I think I have just saw one CS match since this changed and did feel shorter but I did not start it from the beginning so it is still to early for me to offer you a real opinion on this.
  • I havent played CS in weeks because of the long game times. I will give it a try.
  • Lyc4n
    1464 posts Member
    Also i hvnt tried it yet but my thought behind it is that one of the unique parts of cs can be that back and forth potential. If the ship phase is made too easy to have a higher chance of winning and finishing game it will lose this touch.

For me the issue in length lies in how long it takes the ground phase after the first round.

Possible solutions to consider in future is to greatly decrease the ground phase time progressibly from round to round whilst increasing the odds of winning the ship phase from time to time.

Ground phase halfing each time in percentage needed and the ship phase could have a damage multiplier increase each round.

This would hopefuly keep the magic of back and forth whilst keeping the magic of making comebacks.
  • I think these changes will be good for CS, however, I don't understand what the point of boarding is now that it no longer affects the ship phase. I like both the ground and ship phase, but they just don't seem to cohesive anymore and may need to just be separate playlists at some point. I really do enjoy the objective portion of the ship phase, but currently it just delays the victory of the team that won the ground phase since it's near impossible for the defending side to win.
  • Sorry forge. Did my best but just not happening.
    Spent 10 minutes and quit out of 12 games as soon a spawned in.

Sometimes because I'm a droid and I'm just not doing that .....but mostly because in every match the leading group have around 200 or more kills and it's clearly been going for ever and I want to start match at least near the start.
    Sorry.
  • I actually liked having it as a long game mode. Before I went in knowing that it could take over an hour before it ended. If I didn’t have enough time for that; I’d just play something else. It doesn’t quite have the same “grand battle/epic struggle” feel (yes, yes - even if matches don’t always turn out to be evenly matches struggles) now that it’s shorter and, further, I think the changes have made it rather too easy, for both sides.
  • Part of the reason games last so long is that you have to look at xp gain and credits. People throw games and make them last longer in order to gain more xp and credits.

You also need to look at how long it takes to match make, load a map and sit through the 45 second count down timer, then at the end of the match sit through the top 5, rematch, reload, cinematic and play again. I would rather throw a game on purpose just so I don't have to go through all of that.

I'm saying this because people will adapt play styles no matter how much you tweak the other numbers to cheese out gameplay.
  • Just don't make CS really short like GA the reason I enjoyed playing CS was because games went on longer. If I died as a hero no big deal I'll probably get another chance so I liked having more time to use more reinforcements and vehicles and different heroes. If you want short games go play GA or HvV or Co op
  • Do you guys have a target length? Would be good to know what you are aiming for.

For me I think 30min games would be the sweet spot, long enough but not boring. I would also be focusing on shortening the ground phase rather than solely the ship phase. The back and forth between the 2 is great but with each ground phase taking so so long it gets frustrating.

Hopefully the changes have made a positive effect, will give it a go tomorrow!
  • "I have an hour to play, that means I'll go for extraction.”
    *strike, strike, strike, times up*
    😡
  • L A U N C H S T A T E
  • @F8RGE any chance of also reducing the amount of command posts we have to capture? Really drags the mode out.
  • Thank you for addressing the problem with CS and monitoring the changes for future modifications. I tried it for the first time in a while and unfortunately got stuck in another 2+ hour game that I had to quit before it was over. I appreciate the changes none the less.
  • Thank you for addressing the problem with CS and monitoring the changes for future modifications. I tried it for the first time in a while and unfortunately got stuck in another 2+ hour game that I had to quit before it was over. I appreciate the changes none the less.

PS4? I just finished a 2 hour plus marathon on Felucia about an hour ago. Finally. Then what map comes up? Felucia. Quit. At least go back to one round per map.
  • Why can't you just admit, that the changes made since the Naboo update didn't do the trick. Just revert it back to its launch state. CS was a much better mode back then. The gameplay was fast paced and the matches only exceeded the 45 minute mark, when both teams were equaly good.
  • PGombi wrote: »
    Why can't you just admit, that the changes made since the Naboo update didn't do the trick. Just revert it back to its launch state. CS was a much better mode back then. The gameplay was fast paced and the matches only exceeded the 45 minute mark, when both teams were equaly good.

I thought they were temporary...
  • I'm worried this will make rounds too short and fast paced

That should be your last concern
  • Ever since the Naboo update you have been tweaking and tweaking and tweaking this game mode. Before that, I can only remember a handful of tweaks concerning the boarding ticket bonus. The mode was real fun back when it was only Geonosis, and after the Kamino update and after the Kashyyyk update. But since the Naboo update all the changes that were made just dragged out the gameplay.
    @F8RGE , revert CS back to its original state, it was much better back then.
  • skincarver wrote: »
    PGombi wrote: »
    Why can't you just admit, that the changes made since the Naboo update didn't do the trick. Just revert it back to its launch state. CS was a much better mode back then. The gameplay was fast paced and the matches only exceeded the 45 minute mark, when both teams were equaly good.

I thought they were temporary...

That was the plan, but whatta you know .... "feedback" (*) suggested otherwise.
    (*) others may call it "whining"
  • the solution is easy, the execution is impossible for DICE because they want 1 button solution type development. You make CS Lite that is designed for 15-20 minute games, and CS hardcore for those interested in longer games that enjoy more infinite type gameplay.

Such an interesting turn of events, at first CS was viewed by many as not a good enough or big enough conquest mode that didn't quite live up to all the hype the mode was promoted as, but the mode grew on many myself included, and then it was altered to basically have half a ship phase with messy objectives and here we are wanting it changed back.

But then maybe the thing was that mode was too good, perhaps all the other modes in the game stopped getting played after CS came about? I have heard that...But only EA and DICE know if that is really true or not.

Many asked about having CS without the ship phase altogether, and that essentially is what Instant Action is in a nutshell. Once they get the AI vehicles and all that.
  • It does not feel considerably and consistently shorter. I think to get what you are wanting you may have to lower the HP on the final objectives even more. I would suggest 1500 and if that don't work well enough then try 1000 the next week.

They have refused to admit mistakes since day 1. Reverting is rarely an option, unfortunately for extraction players. Merging the two modes was a huge mistake yet to be undone. The ship phase on CS was way better at launch and even the first update or two.
  • ...another 2+ hour CS match that I wasn’t able to finish today. I’m hoping they make some additional tweaks to bring down the match times.
  • F8RGE
    Chico wrote: »

Can you share with us how long you want games to last? I really don't have time to play CS as it currently is too long for me. I did enjoy it last time I played but I had to quit mid-match. Would be good to understand so I know whether to try again.

We think approximately 45 minutes should be the maximum time a game of CS lasts, from start to finish.
  • F8RGE
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    PGombi wrote: »
    But then maybe the thing was that mode was too good, perhaps all the other modes in the game stopped getting played after CS came about? I have heard that...But only EA and DICE know if that is really true or not.

CS did have a knock on affect to our other modes. In fact, it's just re-overtaken Co-Op as the most played mode in the game.
  • F8RGE
    Quick update on this. We're looking into why these changes haven't propagated across our servers. Once we've done our investigations we'll let you know the next steps.
  • CS did have a knock on affect to our other modes. In fact, it's just re-overtaken Co-Op as the most played mode in the game.

unpopular opinion and #noOffense - but why should anyone wonder that CS is the most played mode - it is the only one receiving actual content updates.

We think approximately 45 minutes should be the maximum time a game of CS lasts, from start to finish.

I am just wondering, what was the average match duration when it was launched earlier this year?
  • Yo @F8RGE can I play the game too? Been trying for 3 hours but can't find a damn match

Yes! That would be great. It’s a fun mode but my average time is probably at least twice that time. Appreciate your efforts to get the time down so it’s more fun to play.

I think that sounds literally perfect.
    You know the kind of guy who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why his life sucks? Well, that was me. Every time something good happened to me, something bad was always waiting around the corner: karma. That's when I realized that I had to change, so I made a list of everything bad I've ever done and one by one I'm gonna make up for all my mistakes. I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Earl.
    kdcarzgj2r33.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=WiOIQAFkfEI&feature=emb_logo
  • @F8RGE has posted on Twitter that these changes should now be working through. Seems like they finally got the IT equivalent of laxatives to work.