criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Palpatine needs a nerf.

Prev1345
He completely unbalanced public matches. He is ridiculously easy to play and has a super high damage output. He also causes bugs which need to get fixed. If the enemy team is even remotely competent a mediocre sidious can dominate because he can pressure the enemy team and is super evasive. Just look st the recent score boards.

Replies

• Just give the palps a little baby boi nerf. Nothing crazy. He has been being abused in GA lately but it's not gamebreaking
  • moistboii wrote: »
    Just give the palps a little baby boi nerf. Nothing crazy. He has been being abused in GA lately but it's not gamebreaking

Palpatine has always been that strong in ga. He's lowkey been the best darkside villain for 2 years now
  • Can’t wait to see another DS hero nerfed into the ground and become useless.
    That is the sad thing. Dice always deals in absolutes.
  • Palpatine is my least used character in the game and he's still a level 111 for me. He is very user friendly, by not being terribly difficult to figure out a viable strategy with him. That being said, I don't think they need to nerf him as much as just fix the bugs he brings on.
  • MC_XIX
    2429 posts Member
    He's fine. Blaster heroes can easily beat him and one Pull Dominance from Anakin often leads to him losing nearly all of his health.

Also, saber heroes can pretty much infinitely block his lightning attacks so I don't see what the issue is here. Maybe Chain Lightning shouldn't go through blocks, but if it didn't Palps would have no way of properly damaging blocking enemies.
  • MC_XIX wrote: »
    He's fine. Blaster heroes can easily beat him and one Pull Dominance from Anakin often leads to him losing nearly all of his health.

Also, saber heroes can pretty much infinitely block his lightning attacks so I don't see what the issue is here. Maybe Chain Lightning shouldn't go through blocks, but if it didn't Palps would have no way of properly damaging blocking enemies.

But sabers have to attack the other enemys. And this is the moment when palpatine is too strong.
    Most people don’t or can’t play blaster heroes and are easily taken out by kylo etc.

@NomiSunstrider your opinion on The matter?
  • Agree that Palps needs a nerf. Either nerf the damage output of his lightning or make it more difficult for him to constantly evade everyone. Those two characteristics can’t coexist if he’s going to be balanced.

Please, also nerf some of GG’s abilities. There’s no reason Unrelenting Advance should be able to catch up to blaster heroes running away at full speed who can’t shoot thru it. Basically a free kill for GG by simply pressing the forward button.

Also, Claw Rush shouldn’t hit you 3 more times while he’s standing up. The damage it does after one hit is sufficient.

PLEASE BALANCE!
  • Buff everything else, that should balance things. :joy:
    Current Topics:
    Balancing Darth Vader
    Hero ability changes

m3s3leriptmd.png
    Xbox Gamertag: PlayerPurity
    Twitter
    Youtube

• Clone201
    4003 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    His dodges should have a longer cooldown in between, plus that bug which relates to Show No Mercy that somehow occassionally allows Chain Lightning to block break will no doubt be removed in the next update.

Increased dodge cooldowns are the only nerfs that Palpatine so need imo.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Clone201 wrote: »
    His dodges should have a longer cooldown in between, plus that bug which relates to Show No Mercy that somehow occassionally allows Chain Lightning to block break will no doubt be removed in the next update.

Increased dodge cooldowns are the only nerfs that Palpatine so need imo.

Using lightning while dodging is annoying

That'll likely be fixed too in some time. It's weird how he can do that.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    MC_XIX wrote: »

But sabers have to attack the other enemys. And this is the moment when palpatine is too strong.
    Most people don’t or can’t play blaster heroes and are easily taken out by kylo etc.

I think he only needs his Chain lightning going through blocks fixed, as well as other bugs, such as attacking while dodging.
    Overall his dmg output is in line with other blaster heroes. What makes him unique is that he can quickly displace and evade sabers unlike your typical blaster hero.
    Like others stated, he isnt impossible to kill, and one pull from Anakin will either kill him, or leave him scarred, and deformed.
    Not to mention his slow floaty jump makes him vurnerable to blaster fire.
    And he cant block force powers. He is too dependend on his dodge, and thats both his strenght, and his weakness.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

I think he only needs his Chain lightning going through blocks fixed, as well as other bugs, such as attacking while dodging.
    Overall his dmg output is in line with other blaster heroes. What makes him unique is that he can quickly displace and evade sabers unlike your typical blaster hero.
    Like others stated, he isnt impossible to kill, and one pull from Anakin will either kill him, or leave him scarred, and deformed.
    And he cant block force powers. He is too dependend on his dodge, and thats both his strenght, and his weakness.

I actually like the block break. My issue really is with the damage output from behind and the range his lightning has with the card.
  • One pull from Anakin cannot kill palpy unless you have several people waiting with sabers on the end of the pull. You can get one, MAYBE two hits in before Palpy can use dodge, and the only effective counter I found was when I coordinated with a friend and they used mindtrick right after I pulled palpy. We still lost that match because of the other two teammates running in and dying.
    CC_1010 wrote: »

I actually like the block break. My issue really is with the damage output from behind and the range his lightning has with the card.

If you count him as a blaster villain, he has the lowest range of them all.

I dont know what to say about his dmg from behind, since sabers deal extra dmg too.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

If you count him as a blaster villain, he has the lowest range of them all.

I dont know what to say about his dmg from behind, since sabers deal extra dmg too.
    Iirc his damage from behind got a buff.
    His attacks can hit multiple enemys and he has some strong auto aim. Plus, as you said his mobility is also extremely good and no LS blaster hero compares in this area.
  • Agree that Palps needs a nerf. Either nerf the damage output of his lightning or make it more difficult for him to constantly evade everyone. Those two characteristics can’t coexist if he’s going to be balanced.

Please, also nerf some of GG’s abilities. There’s no reason Unrelenting Advance should be able to catch up to blaster heroes running away at full speed who can’t shoot thru it. Basically a free kill for GG by simply pressing the forward button.

Also, Claw Rush shouldn’t hit you 3 more times while he’s standing up. The damage it does after one hit is sufficient.

PLEASE BALANCE!

What on earth are you talking about? Your post is full of incorrect points. Posts like this make me lose hope every time I visit this place.

1) Unrelenting Advance moves forward twice as slowly as blaster heroes run. If a blaster hero turns and runs from UA, Grievous cannot catch said hero when using UA. Only by deactivating UA can Grievous chase the hero. Do you seriously think UA moves faster than blaster hero footspeed? I'm worried if you do. I'll provide evidence of you think I'm wrong.

2) Claw Rush never hits you 3 times when Grievous cancels it to stand up. It hits you once, and then a second time if Grievous times the ability cancellation nicely. It can only hit you two times, but it's rarer for that to happen now that dodge and roll have been buffed.

3) Palps needs his evasiveness to avoid being rag dolled. It's bad enough when Anakin uses Pull Dominance, because he then gets one or two free hits or his cheesy Heroic Might combo. Same goes for Luke.
  • One pull from Anakin cannot kill palpy unless you have several people waiting with sabers on the end of the pull. You can get one, MAYBE two hits in before Palpy can use dodge, and the only effective counter I found was when I coordinated with a friend and they used mindtrick right after I pulled palpy. We still lost that match because of the other two teammates running in and dying.

This. I was palpatine yesterday & it took a pretty competent anakin like 5 minutes to kill me & I only died due to a lightsaber hitbox. You get 1 strike in after pull & that's it.

Just pull him and let blasters shoot him, everyone knows Palpa is hardest to catch with a lightsaber.
    You would probably get Choked or Frozen while trying to hit Palpatine.
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

Agree that Palps needs a nerf. Either nerf the damage output of his lightning or make it more difficult for him to constantly evade everyone. Those two characteristics can’t coexist if he’s going to be balanced.

PLEASE BALANCE!

What on earth are you talking about? Your post is full of incorrect points. Posts like this make me lose hope every time I visit this place.

1) Unrelenting Advance moves forward twice as slowly as blaster heroes run. If a blaster hero turns and runs from UA, Grievous cannot catch said hero when using UA. Only by deactivating UA can Grievous chase the hero. Do you seriously think UA moves faster than blaster hero footspeed? I'm worried if you do. I'll provide evidence of you think I'm wrong.

2) Claw Rush never hits you 3 times when Grievous cancels it to stand up. It hits you once, and then a second time if Grievous times the ability cancellation nicely. It can only hit you two times, but it's rarer for that to happen now that dodge and roll have been buffed.

3) Palps needs his evasiveness to avoid being rag dolled. It's bad enough when Anakin uses Pull Dominance, because he then gets one or two free hits or his cheesy Heroic Might combo. Same goes for Luke.
    While GG is ok you can actually hit an enemy 3 times.

As for sidious. Have you noticed how he is almost always in the top 3 atm? While I don’t have a problem with that he is just too easy mode and is too strong in matches without communication.
    Agree that Palps needs a nerf. Either nerf the damage output of his lightning or make it more difficult for him to constantly evade everyone. Those two characteristics can’t coexist if he’s going to be balanced.

PLEASE BALANCE!

As for sidious. Have you noticed how he is almost always in the top 3 atm? While I don’t have a problem with that he is just too easy mode and is too strong in matches without communication.

I know Palps is stronger than before, but he's not massively powerful. He only has 700hp and no way of dealing significant damage to a blocking enemy (Dark Aura deals weak damage).

I'd be happy for Chain Lightning not to break blocks but that's the only change I would support. Palps is the only villain who can overwhelm a co-ordinared GA team.

PLEASE BALANCE!

I know Palps is stronger than before, but he's not massively powerful. He only has 700hp and no way of dealing significant damage to a blocking enemy (Dark Aura deals weak damage).

I'd be happy for Chain Lightning not to break blocks but that's the only change I would support. Palps is the only villain who can overwhelm a co-ordinared GA team.
    My problem is not him in a 1v1 but him in 4v4.

This. I was palpatine yesterday & it took a pretty competent anakin like 5 minutes to kill me & I only died due to a lightsaber hitbox. You get 1 strike in after pull & that's it.

Pull+HM+1-2 saber strikes before he dodges =350-500 damage on him. Enough to make him think twice about getting close again.
  • Yeah he's way to powerful right now and ruins GA games
  • Put him back to the way he was on release and see how they like it. >:)
  • I think in GA one of the biggest offenders is his Chain Lightning. With the star card it goes from 4 targets to 8 targets, and you don't really even have to aim it anymore...Then the star card that reduces that move by 5 seconds. It also seems to be going through blocks so I would probably star their. Other than that he is fine, it just the LS blaster characters aren't that great, so it make Palps seems even more OP...
  • Fix the block break and either remove his ability to attack while jumping or limit it to a second. No other character can attack multiple times in air except boba and he has a jet pack. The mobility gap between the light and dark side is hysterically unbalanced.
  • He is fine in GA and you literally can not argue with that. HvV might be a different story because it's easy to abuse shooters with DS sabers Palpatine rarely gets shot
  • CC_1010
    3538 posts Member
    He is fine in GA and you literally can not argue with that. HvV might be a different story because it's easy to abuse shooters with DS sabers Palpatine rarely gets shot

He is absolutely powerful in GA(great for breaking choke points). Especially his hero killing bugs need to be addressed.

He is more of a problem in random lobbies because of the lack of team work. If the LS had a counter this wouldn’t be so much of a problem. But as of now he needs a nerf in HvV.
    He is fine in GA and you literally can not argue with that. HvV might be a different story because it's easy to abuse shooters with DS sabers Palpatine rarely gets shot

He is absolutely powerful in GA(great for breaking choke points). Especially his hero killing bugs need to be addressed.

He is more of a problem in random lobbies because of the lack of team work. If the LS had a counter this wouldn’t be so much of a problem. But as of now he needs a nerf in HvV.
    It is beyond easy to counter him as Republic or Resistance with the new reinforcements. I agree that it may be frustrating when you're the only one draining him, while your teammates just feed him without landing a hit, but it's the same for every hero. In HvV the only villians who 100% need a nerf is Vader and Grievous
  • ROMG4
    4706 posts Member
    Do not fear their feeble complaints, my fellow mains. Nothing will stop the decimation of the BUTTON MASHERS!

OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • CC_1010
    3538 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    Do not fear their feeble complaints, my fellow mains. Nothing will stop the decimation of the BUTTON MASHERS!

Nahh. He also destroys Blasters and turtling sabers aswell. He destroys everything and every one tbh. He Aldine is not the real problem. He in combinat with Vador grievous etc is the real problem.

It is beyond easy to counter him as Republic or Resistance with the new reinforcements. I agree that it may be frustrating when you're the only one draining him, while your teammates just feed him without landing a hit, but it's the same for every hero. In HvV the only villians who 100% need a nerf is Vader and Grievous

Dont forget boba

Dont forget boba
    He definetly should fly much less, but imo recovery should stay

Nahh. He also destroys Blasters and turtling sabers aswell. He destroys everything and every one tbh. He Aldine is not the real problem. He in combinat with Vador grievous etc is the real problem.
    He doesn't destroy Han. Lando and Finn need some range, because they're slow and clumsy with their abilities, but it's their fault not Palpatine strength and Leia and Chewbacca are bad in general
  • CC_1010
    3538 posts Member

He doesn't destroy Han. Lando and Finn need some range, because they're slow and clumsy with their abilities, but it's their fault not Palpatine strength and Leia and Chewbacca are bad in general

He does. Especially when there are Vador etc eunning around. He is a tremendous advantage for the DS in HvV.
    This happend more then 4 times to me:
    I destroy their saber hero. The user immediately switches to Palpatine.

Don’t forget: most people don’t play private 4vs4‘s where han etc are protected! Palpatine is much less annoying when my team knows what it is doing. But 90% of the players base plays random HvV.
  • ROMG4
    4706 posts Member
    edited January 13

If he's becoming an issue have a good player go Luke or especially Anakin to counter him. Additionally if your team works together and you can protect him, Finn can essentially shut Palpatine down entirely for the duration of Dead-eye. He will get absolutely destroyed if he can't get to cover even then he's looking at a loss of a few hundred health points

Palpatine's playstyle thrives on chaos he requires the enemy team to be split up and for his team to distract the enemy to unleash his full potential

If you keep in control of the situation the Palpatine will have a very difficult fight to beat you
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • CC_1010
    3538 posts Member

If he's becoming an issue have a good player go Luke or especially Anakin to counter him. Additionally if your team works together and you can protect him, Finn can essentially shut Palpatine down entirely for the duration of Dead-eye. He will get absolutely destroyed if he can't get to cover even then he's looking at a loss of a few hundred health points

Palpatine's playstyle thrives on chaos he requires the enemy team to be split up and for his team to distract the enemy to unleash his full potential

If you keep in control of the situation the Palpatine will have a very difficult fight to beat you

Random HvV is the most chaotic thing in the game thought. That’s the issue.
  • Meh. Definitely some fixes for the slow running, extra stamina drain, and block breaking chain lightning bugs, but other than that.... he's pretty ok. Annoying, but only if you don't know how to deal with him.

A good Anakin will be the menace of any Palpatine. One pull and a Heroic might and a passionate strike later, you're almost dead.

Additionally, he's very vulnerable to blasters because he can't block. A good Han, and I have done this, can melt a Palps in seconds. Grenade, shoulder charge, and then overload, and he's done.

Palps's strength is his dodge, it's what makes him so slippery. On his own, Palps isn't much of a threat, more of a pesky nuisance that'll only get'cha if you're not attentive. Palps is much better with a team, letting his teammates inflict most of the damage and inflicting zappy zappy from the sidelines.

I say this as a relatively experienced Palps. He's pretty good, but he takes some time getting used to, and he can get taken out very easily if he's caught, as his only defence is to run away.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    vuguzqzbjxrh.png

He does. Especially when there are Vador etc eunning around. He is a tremendous advantage for the DS in HvV.

Don’t forget: most people don’t play private 4vs4‘s where han etc are protected! Palpatine is much less annoying when my team knows what it is doing. But 90% of the players base plays random HvV.
    So who is actually a bigger problem? Darth Vader or Darth Sidious?

The Vader Palps combo can be devastating, especially if Palps zapps everybody while Vader chokes them. Then a lightning stun, more zappy zappy, saber throw, and the team is dead.

I have pulled this off before with a Vader before. It's terrifyingly powerful if you can pull it off.

Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    vuguzqzbjxrh.png

The Vader Palps combo can be devastating, especially if Palps zapps everybody while Vader chokes them. Then a lightning stun, more zappy zappy, saber throw, and the team is dead.

I have pulled this off before with a Vader before. It's terrifyingly powerful if you can pull it off.
    Excellent. Now that we agre, the only thing left is to rename this thread "Vader needs a nerf"
  • Yoda is a good counter to palp, IMO

• MikeDog5k wrote: »
    Yoda is a good counter to palp, IMO

Uff, but can be devistating. Yoda can barely move when palp has his dark aura active and then he is SO easy to kill with a palp.. constantly experiencing this in 2vs2 hero showdown. But yeah - if dark auro is not available, yoda is at least capable of running / chasing down palps compared to other characters
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
  • In HvV he’s harmless once cornered, Finn and Ani destroy him. Even a good Han player can take him down a few pegs. He thrives off the enemy team being distracted and not cooperating, but the moment he’s unable to play vulture and gets put on the front lines he’s done for